• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI.BIZ: Cloud gaming generated almost $1.5bn in 2021 - Compared to $671m in 2020

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
A more than 2x increase and projected to increase exponentially by 2024.

Cloud gaming revenues hit nearly $1.5 billion last year, according to new data from Newzoo.

A new report shared that the number was generated by 21.7 million paying users across cloud gaming services throughout 2021.

That figure is more than double the $671 million made in cloud revenue in 2020.

It also predicts that number will continue to grow, potentially hitting $6.3 billion by 2024.

Xbox and PlayStation have also bolstered cloud gaming efforts this year; Xbox is looking to publish cloud-first titles while Sony has revamped its PS Plus service to give players access to a back catalogue of PlayStation titles via the cloud.

ParaSeoul

Happy Donald Trump GIF by Team Trump

How do they know that? How can they tell if cloud gaming was the reason someone paid for Gamepass Ultimate or PSNow?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
"The firm highlighted several instances of cloud gaming heading to TVs via partnerships -- notably Samsung and LG's collaborations with Nvidia."

Will be interesting to see if Nvidia becomes the game streaming leader in the long run.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I really dont understand how people enjoy playing games on cloud, its like playing games in always online DRM feature.

I would assume this statistic includes mobile gaming?

Last edited:

Chukhopops

How do they know that? How can they tell if cloud gaming was the reason someone paid for Gamepass Ultimate or PSNow?
GeForce Now has 14 million users, and Stadia an estimated 2 million. For the rest I don’t know how it’s calculated.

Interfectum

I'd love to see a statistic of how many people take their tablet or phone to the beach, take a picture of 'playing a game at the beach' and never use a cloud service again.

GeForce Now has 14 million users, and Stadia an estimated 2 million. For the rest I don’t know how it’s calculated.

Damn, I had no idea GeForce Now was that big already. It's the best experience I had with streaming and I like their model.

Interfectum

Most of those users are free who most likely signed up due to frustrations with graphics card shortages. Let's see concurrent users currently using these services and how many have actually bothered to pay for it.

tommib

I really dont understand how people enjoy playing games on cloud, its like playing games in always online DRM feature.

I did play Silent Hill 2 in 2020 via PSNow and it was mostly fine. But only because it was an easy way to replay it and I was craving.

I’ve tried Horizon 5 via xcloud and it was mostly fine but I could feel the lag. I think it depends on the game. Adventure games, fine. Fast response racers, nope.

Hezekiah

Banned
"The firm highlighted several instances of cloud gaming heading to TVs via partnerships -- notably Samsung and LG's collaborations with Nvidia."

Will be interesting to see if Nvidia becomes the game streaming leader in the long run.
They have the potential with their server farms, and the fact that GeForce Now works with Steam and EGS is great, but they do need to decrease their prices.

£90 for six months for the 3080 package (I've heard the basic package isn't great and has limitations), and you don't own anything obviously at the end of it is just way too high, especially as GPU price are now coming down.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They have the potential with their server farms, and the fact that GeForce Now works with Steam and EGS is great, but they do need to decrease their prices.

£90 for six months for the 3080 package (I've heard the basic package isn't great and has limitations), and you don't own anything obviously at the end of it is just way too high, especially as GPU price are now coming down.

I don't get the need for the 3080 package regardless. If I were interested in getting the best quality game then I would not be streaming at all. But I guess there are probably some fools out there who believe this is the same as owning a PC with a 3080 GPU.

Marilyn Monroe Dipshit GIF

Chukhopops

Most of those users are free who most likely signed up due to frustrations with graphics card shortages. Let's see concurrent users currently using these services and how many have actually bothered to pay for it.
Im not trying to defend Cloud gaming but high prices and shortages are pushing cloud adoption forward in general and I think it will keep pushing it for years to come.

I didn’t even know you could use GeForce Now for free. But it’s limited to 1 hour per session so I don’t think you would use it outside of testing your connection.

JLB

Banned

plenty of reasons: convenience, not having money/ availability of hardware, downloading times, etc

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
if you have amazon prime you can play the luna version of DMCV for free

it surprised me how good it was on a wired connection

Lognor

Banned

Huh
Are those exclusive collaborations? Or can LG and Samsung also add Game Pass? I'm really curious if Sony will allow it on their tvs...

Samsung, LG, and Sony have to be the three best selling tv brands (or at least high end brands - crap like Vizio might sell really well to the Walmart crowd - no offense, everyone)

I do wonder how they calculate this. I used Gamepass streaming for probably around 25-30 hours last year while traveling or commuting, but I wouldn't subscribe to Gamepass Ultimate for just streaming. So how would they calculate me as a "cloud gamer"?

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
plenty of reasons: convenience, not having money/ availability of hardware, downloading times, etc
I never had the slightest intention of ever using xCloud, but I discovered it's super useful for getting Xbox reward points without having to download a game I have no intention of ever playing and for checking out games I don't know if I want to play.

Then one day there were some points for Marvel's Avengers. I had it in my 'Play Later' on Game Pass anyway, so I went to download it, but the file size was huge, so I decided to use xCloud. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to play it or not after that, so I played some more on xCloud and it was flawless. I totally forgot l it wasn't playing it native. I still can't decide if I'll play through the entire game. The campaign is mildly OKish so I'll just keep playing on xCloud.

I am guessing that I'm really close to a data center since I live in Metro Los Angeles and my experience is probably not typical.

elliot5

I never had the slightest intention of ever using xCloud, but I discovered it's super useful for getting Xbox reward points without having to download a game I have no intention of ever playing and for checking out games I don't know if I want to play.

Then one day there were some points for Marvel's Avengers. I had it in my 'Play Later' on Game Pass anyway, so I went to download it, but the file size was huge, so I decided to use xCloud. I wasn't sure whether I wanted to play it or not after that, so I played some more on xCloud and it was flawless. I totally forgot l it wasn't playing it native. I still can't decide if I'll play through the entire game. The campaign is mildly OKish so I'll just keep playing on xCloud.

I am guessing that I'm really close to a data center since I live in Metro Los Angeles and my experience is probably not typical.
I also get most use for Rewards, but I’ve played a few small titles solely via cloud or significantly with cloud like Yakuza LAD. Its great to just jump in immediately or try something out without committing to an install. My performance has been very good lately

Topher

Gold Member

I use xCloud for Rewards points as well. Definitely great for that. I'm in the metro Atlanta area, but the nearest data center is in Virginia. Microsoft is buying up land in my area, however, for a new data center so hopefully I'll be getting a similar experience as you in the near future.

Lognor

Banned
I do wonder how they calculate this. I used Gamepass streaming for probably around 25-30 hours last year while traveling or commuting, but I wouldn't subscribe to Gamepass Ultimate for just streaming. So how would they calculate me as a "cloud gamer"?
Yeah good point. Other than GeForce Now and Stadia there are no exclusive streaming services (as far as I'm aware). So to count Game Pass or PS Now revenues into these figures is a bit disingenuous. I personally would not subscribe to PS Now or Game Pass if it was streaming only. I'm betting most people wouldn't.

M16

Cloud is the future. It's awesome to just try and discover new games without having to download them first.

Top Bottom