• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GI.Biz | Opinion] How long can Microsoft float on goodwill?

I think IF in the second half of the gen the game start flowing like fine wine, and pretty consistantly, gamers, especially Xbox gamers, will quickly forget the barren first half of the gen.
Remember 'Playstation has no games' memes from the first year or two of last gen?, same thing here.

Of course certain sections will try their best to not let peopel forget the barren first half of the gen, but when the games start flowing, most people wont care.
Sony only turned PS3 around by BURNING MONEY.
Do you know what it costed to make PS3 AAA games nonstop with no limits? It devoured ALL the money PS2 had earned in its entire LIFETIME.

Can Microsoft follwsuit? Maybe. WILL they? I doubt it.

solidus12

Sony only turned PS3 around by BURNING MONEY.
Do you know what it costed to make PS3 AAA games nonstop with no limits? It devoured ALL the money PS2 had earned in its entire LIFETIME.

Can Microsoft follwsuit? Maybe. WILL they? I doubt it.
I'm still sad we lost PS2 backwards compatibility.

KaiserBecks

You people arguing about the doom of Xbox when it’s actually stronger than ever is funny and kinda sad at the same time. No matter what game MS is going to release, the usual suspects in this thread won’t be satisfied. Get used to the fact that MS is here to stay and start trying to comprehend that by your own standards Nintendo is crushing Sony and has been for years now.

yurinka

I think IF in the second half of the gen the game start flowing like fine wine, and pretty consistantly, gamers, especially Xbox gamers, will quickly forget the barren first half of the gen.
Remember 'Playstation has no games' memes from the first year or two of last gen?, same thing here.

Of course certain sections will try their best to not let peopel forget the barren first half of the gen, but when the games start flowing, most people wont care.
The difference is that during the 'PlayStation has no games' meme these PS consoles were selling faster launch aligned than their direct competition and having exclusive super sellers or at least very good reviews periodically. I think it was a pretty different case.

In any case, I agree that in a year or two from now, once they keep releasing big (and most of them exclusive) 1st party games frequently people will forget it.

ProtoByte

Funny you tried to be negative...but what you're really saying is that Microsoft just shadow dropped a game with:

- Combat comparable to what everyone likes in Devil May Cry/Bayonetta.
- Platforming comparable to what everyone likes in Crash Bandicoot/Ratchet and Clank.
- A vibe evocative of one of everyones favorite eras in gaming.
- Visuals and animation that look almost as if Don Bluth directed Jet Set Radio.
Yes. Comparable. That's it. It's not DmC, it isn't Bayonetta. It's a character action game with platforming. That alone says nothing of its quality.

(And btw, this is the best looking cel-shaded game).
Okay, no.
Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
Ni No Kuni 2
Persona 5
Any ArcSys game from last gen
I would even argue Scarlet Nexus is more than competitive with Hi-Fi Rush.

- Everything mentioned above, accentuated by being synched rhythmically to a fantastic, driving soundtrack..plus mechanics that encourage and reward you for playing on beat.

Sounds like a real shitstorm of a game eh?
Curb your insecurity. No one said it was a "shitstorm of a game".

No, all it took was for people to play the game before any bias/narrative was formed or any unsightly pictures were painted about it.
I almost feel like the event was called Developer DIRECT because they delivered a game DIRECTLY to the gamers; no media required.
Lol

Last edited:

johnjohn

The game is on PC too.
Every Xbox exclusive is also on PC, just like all of PlayStation's exclusives, even if you have to wait a little longer for them.

GOTY candidate? Do you know what’s coming this year 😂
Even more GOTY candidates from MS? Forza, Starfield, ad Hi-Fi Rush are likely all going to receive plenty of GOTY awards at the end of the year.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I wouldn't call it "good will." It's more like patience or hope. With all the purchases they've made, the patience and hope seems justified. The (captured) exclusives should start flowing in the next couple of years.

Now, if they hadn't shelled out billions to acquire all those publishers, it would be a different story. There would be very little patience left then.

I didn’t read the article but MS needs games and needs them soon. This needs to be a good year and they need to follow up by repeating that success in the following years. Game Pass is great and it’s for sure a major selling point for Xbox, but Sony stands head and shoulders above them in gaming mindshare (and sales) because they release quality games and do so year in and year out. MS should strive for that.

They have the tools and resources, there are no more excuses at this point. Failure to deliver from this point on is a direct reflection of Phil Spencer.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Elden Ring isnt even Elden Ring good.
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

I think MS have this year, and that's it tbh....if they don't have a banger year, Phils done.
I don’t think he’s done tbh. Xbox seems to have a plan for the future if the studio acquisitions are anything to go by. They’ve invested a lot of money into their Game Pass philosophy which is going to take time to achieve the success they are looking for. The problem here is that in the end it’s about money not creating a brand with prestige and reverence. So if dorks like us on message boards are annoyed but the brand is profitable and show growth potential, that’s probably good enough for them.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I don’t think he’s done tbh. Xbox seems to have a plan for the future if the studio acquisitions are anything to go by. They’ve invested a lot of money into their Game Pass philosophy which is going to take time to achieve the success they are looking for. The problem here is that in the end it’s about money not creating a brand with prestige and reverence. So if dorks like us on message boards are annoyed but the brand is profitable and show growth potential, that’s probably good enough for them.

Well let's just say, I think even the most hard-core fans will lose faith with the brand if 2023 isn't one for rhe books.

Last edited:
Okay, no.
Ni No Kuni 2
Persona 5

Tell me you haven't played through HiFi Rush without telling me you haven't played through HiFi Rush.
I own all but 1 of those games you mentioned and it's no contest here.

The sheer consistency of the artwork throughout HiFi (from beginning to end in every section of every level and from cutscene to gameplay) simply makes every other cel-shaded game look like mixed media (cel shaded character with average to downright shitty environmental texture work that doesnt match the aesthetic of the character(s).
And those games look like that because it's difficult to make as much art/original assets to make your world look truly consistent.

Cel shaded games that achieve consistent art throughout (where everything is made to look drawn in the same style as possible) are few and far between..you'd have to cite Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Madworld, obviously Jet Set, Wind Waker almost..recently Sable...hell, Cel Damage and Under the Skin for PS2 are great examples as well.

Besides that, HiFi looks the liveliest (amost everything moves to the soundtrack) and animates the very best.
If you A and B HiFi compared to the games you mentioned, HiFi literally jumps off the screen in comparison.
If you don't have the game in front of you on a decent TV/monitor, you simply wouldn't know.

anothertech

That is 100% purely your opinion and not a fact. Don't you dare try to erase other people's experiences and opinions because they don't line up to yours.

To sit here and act like people who praise HFR are just desperate Xbox fans is disgusting. I'm the last person to defend Xbox. This game is an ultimate dream of mine and I will give it the praise I freaking damn well please. I also highly praised Sifu and Stray from last year. I like these highly polished smaller scale games backed by big publishers.

Journey was a smaller game and got game of the year when big games like Fallout 3, Mass Effect 3, Dishonored, Assassin's Creed 3, Borderlands 2, Sleeping Dogs, Max Payne 3 Halo 4, Spec Ops the line, Diablo 3, CoD, Prototype 2, Kingdom Hearts DDD, and Dragon's Dogma were released.

It isn't unheard of.
I'm being objective. Comparing this game to the likes of Journey is also laughable

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Pentiment GOTY, High on life GOTY, High Rush GOTY

They just keep pumping those gotys out it’s incredible.

Don’t forget Grounded 1.012

"A new Xbox game is releasi..."

noIp9jc.jpg

I snortled LOL

So true.

GOTY candidate? Do you know what’s coming this year 😂

OpenCritic: 91/100 - 100% Recommended

Highest reviewed game of the year thus far.

Dolodolo

You people arguing about the doom of Xbox when it’s actually stronger than ever is funny and kinda sad at the same time. No matter what game MS is going to release, the usual suspects in this thread won’t be satisfied. Get used to the fact that MS is here to stay and start trying to comprehend that by your own standards Nintendo is crushing Sony and has been for years now.

Dude, what the fuck? They have the most powerful console on the market. Can they already start releasing AAA blockbusters on this equipment that will sell consoles to them. Nintendo Games Sells Nintendo Consoles. HI FI Rush won't sell Xbox to people This is a great game, but its "giant" success is only promoted on the forums and on Twitter Especially when looking at peak online in SteamDB

Last edited:

Freeza93

Banned
They're grooming you people for
28-Own-Nothing-Be-Happy.jpg
Well that would be awesome thats what monks aim for through meditation.

thanks gamepass im now a monk. and happy.

No seriously this is not gonna happen because in most parts of the world even in first world countries on the countryside. internet is terrible,third world especially. we will have physical for a very long time still.

ProtoByte

To sit here and act like people who praise HFR are just desperate Xbox fans is disgusting.
Not just praise. You've got people on this forum dubbing it "GOTY 2023" and "one of the best games of all time. It's impossible not to recognize the desperation if your memory stretches beyond the last year.

I remember when PlayStation was supporting smaller 3rd party games of this nature, particularly Japanese ones. "No one cares about this cartoony weaboo crap", and that was going on as early as the 6th generation of consoles. "IndieStation 4" this, "DelayStation 4" that in the earlier years of last gen before the AAA heavy hitters from first party coming that once or twice every year.

That's not a point about PlayStation by the way. The point is that the attitude and purported tastes, of the wider Xbox fanbase from even 3 years ago - both in online discourse and by what you can see in years of sales data - is undeniable. Sunset Overdrive is near enough to being HFR's father, and focused on or praised nearly as much as this game when it came out. It also did not sell on Xbox.

KXVXII9X

Not just praise. You've got people on this forum dubbing it "GOTY 2023" and "one of the best games of all time. It's impossible not to recognize the desperation if your memory stretches beyond the last year.

I remember when PlayStation was supporting smaller 3rd party games of this nature, particularly Japanese ones. "No one cares about this cartoony weaboo crap", and that was going on as early as the 6th generation of consoles. "IndieStation 4" this, "DelayStation 4" that in the earlier years of last gen before the AAA heavy hitters from first party coming that once or twice every year.

That's not a point about PlayStation by the way. The point is that the attitude and purported tastes, of the wider Xbox fanbase from even 3 years ago - both in online discourse and by what you can see in years of sales data - is undeniable. Sunset Overdrive is near enough to being HFR's father, and focused on or praised nearly as much as this game when it came out. It also did not sell on Xbox.
I just like these kinds of games on either PlayStation, Nintendo, or Xbox.

I heavily supported Japan Studios games. I supported Indies/AA and smaller games backed up by all of these companies because I simply like these kinds of games games. I like the weird niche stuff.

I've been very hard on Xbox, even when everyone was gaslighting the heck out people for calling them out. I happen to like a game that is exclusive to Xbox and God forbid.

I like Hi-Fi Rush because it maintains a lot of DNA from my favorite era of gaming (GameCube/Dreamcast) along with old Capcom hack and Slash which is my favorite.

People are already saying I can't possibly like it that much and I want to say, who the hell gives you the right? All because some of you guys are so far down in pointless petty console war bullshit.

It is still early with many great games this year but it sure is a contender for me personally.

OpenCritic: 91/100 - 100% Recommended

Highest reviewed game of the year thus far.
It’s literally January. You’re trolling right? This will be completely forgotten next to the behemoths.

FF16/Starfield/LoZ TOTK/Hogwarts Legacy/Atomic Hearts/ Wild Hearts/ Jedi Survivor/ RE4 Remake/ System Shock Remake/ Dead Island 2/ Diablo IV/ Hollow Knight: SS/ Hades 2/ Lies of P

And we can’t forget… Spider-Man 2.

Xbox gets one game in 3 years that isn’t a racing shooting game that reviews well and instant GOTY to yall? Have fun but get real

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Reply to my edit sorry

Your edit changes literally nothing about what I said. I'm not saying it's going to win GOTY, I'm just saying it's earned it's spot in the conversation. It'll be mentioned in GOTY conversations at the end of the year, without a doubt.

Not sure why this pains ya'll so much. It's a fantastic game. You should try it.

Last edited:

yurinka

It’s literally January. You’re trolling right? This will be completely forgotten next to the behemoths.

FF16/Starfield/LoZ TOTK/Hogwarts Legacy/Atomic Hearts/ Wild Hearts/ Jedi Survivor/ RE4 Remake/ System Shock Remake/ Dead Island 2/ Diablo IV/ Hollow Knight: SS/ Hades 2/ Lies of P

And the one that pretty likely will be my personal GOTY: Street Fighter 6.

mrmustard

Banned
This will be completely forgotten next to the behemoths.

I bet you would have said the same about It Takes Two. It will not get the most awards or Geoffs award, but i think it will get a few goty awards.

Razvedka

Banned
Yes. Comparable. That's it. It's not DmC, it isn't Bayonetta. It's a character action game with platforming. That alone says nothing of its quality.

Okay, no.
Ni No Kuni 2
Persona 5

Curb your insecurity. No one said it was a "shitstorm of a game".

Lol
I'm glad someone stepped up to address the "this is the best cel shaded game" chatter. As I read my way to the last page I saw this said several times, and I thought that was a bit much. The Naruto games have all been really good cel shaded entries for a while, and then there's also Dragonball FighterZ. Plus the titles you mention.

HiFi certainly looks good but some of the praise I'm reading about is hyperbole.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

I just like these kinds of games on either PlayStation, Nintendo, or Xbox.

I heavily supported Japan Studios games. I supported Indies/AA and smaller games backed up by all of these companies because I simply like these kinds of games games. I like the weird niche stuff.

I've been very hard on Xbox, even when everyone was gaslighting the heck out people for calling them out. I happen to like a game that is exclusive to Xbox and God forbid.

I like Hi-Fi Rush because it maintains a lot of DNA from my favorite era of gaming (GameCube/Dreamcast) along with old Capcom hack and Slash which is my favorite.

People are already saying I can't possibly like it that much and I want to say, who the hell gives you the right? All because some of you guys are so far down in pointless petty console war bullshit.

It is still early with many great games this year but it sure is a contender for me personally.
None of my comment was directed at you specifically, because it doesn't apply and I knew that. I'm making a point about the wider discussion.

It's not strange to me why HFR might end up being in someone's top games of the year, irrespective of platform. It's the hyperbole I'm talking about.

iHaunter

They've floated on good will since XB1. People are still buying a console with very few games. Their exclusives have overall been mediocre in general. I guess to an extent gamers are starting to figure it out. Their sales are getting very low.

Shut0wen

Tbf i get ops point but MS seems to be dropping alot of great games on gamepass though which makes up for the lack of exclusives imo, we get wo long soon, age of empires darkest dungeon on tuesday, not really interested in minecraft but hi fi as well, January was incredibly dry up until now even though i was disappointed in monster hunter rise, i still think we'll get gears of war this year as well as forza

Xbox gets one game in 3 reviews that isn’t a racing shooting game that reviews well and instant GOTY to yall? Have fun but get real

Yup

HFR is a good small title but a meaty GOTY it ain’t

Top Bottom