• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gigabyte AORUS FV43U High framerate gamers: How do you guys tolerate smearing/ghosting? OLED has spoiled me.

VA panes do smear that is their biggest downside, it takes a lot of work to get an optimal balance were this is minimized (Samsung G7 is one of the better ones). The panels response time could be tuned for 144Hz at the expense of 60hz but seeing as no proper monitor review site (TFT central, PC monitors info, rtings etc) has looked at this monitor to confirm it that is just speculation on my part.

Try and avoid 60hz if possible and keep FPS as high as possible.

Altering the overdrive can improve the response time but it can also cause other visual side effects so its a case of pick your poison.

There is an owners thread over on hardocp for this monitor but I'm not sure there is much else you can do.
The overdrive settings on this are much, much better than the super smear ridden XG438Q that it replaced. It's no OLED but at least I can play fast paced fps and not have to willingly ignore the ghosting. A high brightness and 2.2 gamma are helpers for sure.

Smart has less ghosting than balanced but the reviews say it introduces bad overshoot (inverse ghosting). they haven't seen it on the Asus I had because the fastest on that set was completely unusable. I don't really see it 99.9% of the time.

48 is too big for my desk or I'd have bought a CX for the same price as this ($999 refurb from microcenter). oh, and burn in is basically not a thing if you're half careful but I could be the one to get it with endless hours of Destiny 2's HUD uninterrupted.

rofif

Banned
The overdrive settings on this are much, much better than the super smear ridden XG438Q that it replaced. It's no OLED but at least I can play fast paced fps and not have to willingly ignore the ghosting. A high brightness and 2.2 gamma are helpers for sure.

Smart has less ghosting than balanced but the reviews say it introduces bad overshoot (inverse ghosting). they haven't seen it on the Asus I had because the fastest on that set was completely unusable. I don't really see it 99.9% of the time.

48 is too big for my desk or I'd have bought a CX for the same price as this ($999 refurb from microcenter). oh, and burn in is basically not a thing if you're half careful but I could be the one to get it with endless hours of Destiny 2's HUD uninterrupted.
It is VA. Nothing will help it. No matter what, the stars on the dark sky will fade when you move, gamma well be darker in the middle\low on sides and the screen will glow... That and terrible hdr, worse colors etc.
And I will not believe in any bs "this va don't ghost". If it's VA, it's a terrible piece of shit

It's the same office as cx or C1 .. only an idiot would but terrible VA instead of shedding OLED at the same price.
Just message from for the fucking 5"

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
i have x35 va panel, yes the dark smearing is noticeable on dark mode gaf youtube etc.

but in games, didn't affect me much.

try sitting farther away? imo 43 for pc monitor is too big unless you are shaq the giant

Last edited:

rofif

Banned

It is VA. Nothing will help it. No matter what, the stars on the dark sky will fade when you move, gamma well be rather in the middle\low on sides and the screen will glow.
And I will not believe in any bs "this va don't ghost". If it's VA, it's a terrible piece of

It's the same office as cx or C1 .. only an idiot would but terrible VA instead of shedding OLED at the same price.
Just make more room for the fucking 5"

Last edited:
It is VA. Nothing will help it. No matter what, the stars on the dark sky will fade when you move, gamma well be darker in the middle\low on sides and the screen will glow... That and terrible hdr, worse colors etc.
And I will not believe in any bs "this va don't ghost". If it's VA, it's a terrible piece of shit

Just message from for the fucking 5"
Sounds like you've had one or two to drink. I have an OLED. And a Pioneer Kuro Plasma before that. I know picture quality. I play Destiny almost exclusively. The brightness and gamma up minimize the ghosting, and it's a predominantly light colored game. 144hz is also noticeable to me. Every frame matters. The Aorus is a better gaming monitor for my particular use case for numerous reason, not least of which is I can't sit as close to a 48 inch screen as I'd want and still see the radar in the corner.

Just chill. No one (smart) is debating OLED shits all over VA in terms of PQ.

Xyphie

Yeah, VA panels are just unusable on a PC for me. Supposedly Samsung Odyssey G7/G9 somewhat solves the VA issues with 0% -> 20% response times, but you get big overshoots instead:

Samsung Odyssey G5:

tables-max-large.jpg

Samsung Odyssey G9:

tables-max-large.jpg

Still way slower response times than a fast IPS 144Hz panel (LG Nano IPS) though:

tables-max-large.jpg

Unfortunately there is just no display technology in the PC space that gets you good viewing angles, color, contrast, blacks and response time at the same time. :(

Last edited:

Reallink

you can't be this stupid. theyre currently selling their 3x something OLED monitor for like $3k. I know what they SAID but if they make it a monitor (and why wouldn't they because they'd have the market cornered), they'll pump it full of 'features' and sell it for 1.5x what a 43inch VA costs and call it a bargain.

Their 32" OLED monitor panel is made by JOLED (not LG Display), is RGB (not WRGB), and is produced in very limited quantities because JOLED doesn't have anywhere near the production capacity of LG Display. The 42" is WRGB produced by LG display and will be marketed as a TV, not a professional monitor.

Last edited:
The 32" OLED monitor panel is made by JOLED (not LG Display), is RGB (not WRGB), and is produced in very limited quantities because JOLED doesn't have anywhere near the production capacity of LG Display. The 42" is WRGB produced by LG display and will be marketed as a TV, not a professional monitor.

I am SO glad you're an LG insider and know all of this for sure. They (LG Electronics) has not announced a specific model, release date or price. A 42 inch OLED is in the works by LG Display. LG has simply said a 42 panel should be easier/cheaper to produce than some of the other intermediary sizes. If you're waiting with baited breath for this tv to be the be all, end all big computer monitor (and at 42 inches with that kind of PQ and refresh, it is) at $1k OR LESS, I have a bridge to sell you. LG will have cornered the market without a $1k price. $1.5k release day price, minimum. They will find a way to upsell it. There's literally not a businessman working for the TV division in LG Electronics that does not know selling them for $1k would be a stupid decision.

Last edited:

Reallink

I am SO glad you're an LG insider and know all of this for sure. They've not announced a specific model, release date or price. They've simply said a 42 inch is coming and it should/could be cheaper. If you're waiting with baited breath for this tv to be the be all, end all computer monitor (and at 42 inches with that kind of PQ and refresh, it is) at $1k OR LESS, I have a bridge to sell you. LG will have cornered the market without a $1k price. $1.5k release day price, minimum. They will find a way to upsell it. There's literally not a businessman working for the display division in that company that does not know selling them for $1k would be a stupid decision.

Too many people are scared of burn in and consider 120Hz a downgrade for it to corner anything. $1000 is also still quite expensive for a consumer grade monitor. Price will be determined by supply, I've merely been pointing out why it should be in abundant supply and how it's cheaper to produce. I'm only speaking on what's most likely, they could put some kind of ROG or Aorus moniker on it and sell it as a $1500-$2000 gamer monitor, but they would sell 10's of thousands of units Vs. the 100's of thousands of units they'd sell as a $1000 42" C1 TV.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Too many people are scared of burn in and consider 120Hz a downgrade for it to corner anything. $1000 is also still quite expensive for a consumer grade monitor. Price will be determined by supply, I've merely been pointing out why it should be in abundant supply and how it's cheaper to produce. I'm only speaking on what's most likely, they could put some kind of ROG or Aorus moniker on it and sell it as a $1500-$2000 gamer monitor, but they would sell 10's of thousands of units Vs. the 100's of thousands of units they'd sell as $1000 42" C1 TV.
120hz is great for movies. Correct divide for 24fps and 30fps content.
As for gaming. 120 vs 144 no difference. 240 woul be visible

Reallink

120hz is great for movies. Correct divide for 24fps and 30fps content.
As for gaming. 120 vs 144 no difference. 240 woul be visible

You don't have to tell me. I'm speaking of the the wannabe "Pro Gamers" who chase refresh rate above all else.

longdi

Banned
It is VA. Nothing will help it. No matter what, the stars on the dark sky will fade when you move, gamma well be rather in the middle\low on sides and the screen will glow.
And I will not believe in any bs "this va don't ghost". If it's VA, it's a terrible piece of

Just make more room for the fucking 5"

but wrgb oled don't get as bright, has near blacks crush and posterisation and worse subpixel text..

Whitecrow

Banned
Oh dear god you got sooo spoiled.
I have a C9, a VA 144 HZ, and a IPS at 60hz.

I can game on any even if I spot the differences, in fact, I only use the VA for competitive (LoL, Valorant), and the others for everything else due to color accuracy.
Black crush in the C9 is no so much of a problem, because you dont really notice it, you just know it may be happening and only in very very specific scenes.
Banding at 4K 444 is more detracting tho, even then, I got used to it.

No display is perfect. Just get the one you like most, and try to get the most out of if picture quality wise.
Check RTINGs, Lagom lcd tests, and you're good to go.

martino

not sure i follow the multiple opinion so i will ask another question if i'm fine with my CX will i be fine with the FV43U ?

That's terrible, how do people use OLED at 30fps games then? I wouldn't be able to tolerate this.
Play at 60 FPS is how. Games that do a poor job with masking their stutter, like Skyrim for example are really bad for OLED. I have never seen smearing or ghosting though. I have also owned several decent quality LED screens, like the Sony 930 and the Vizio M65 and their poor colors, terrible blacks, and high input lag makes OLED seem amazing in comparison

rofif

Banned
but wrgb oled don't get as bright, has near blacks crush and posterisation and worse subpixel text..
700-800 nits peak
Posterisation? worse subpixel text? what are you talking about. I used 4k 27" lg ips before. This lg c1 is just as sharp and no near black crush or posterization at all.
Maybe it was a problem with c9 or cx

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Lol this is a recording of a tv... Nothing like that in reality. I never had cx but C1 it's crystal clear in motion. The only time I've ever seen OLED black smear was in VR. But it's so tiny

It's not that tiny.. in my experience black smear was easily visible (especially in games like f.ex. Elite Dangerous) and THE worst flaw of OLED VR. It even forced some to go back to LCD screens (although to be fair it was in addition to lack of striped RBG displays and brightness issues).

Last edited:
You don't have to tell me. I'm speaking of the the wannabe "Pro Gamers" who chase refresh rate above all else.

I'm not saying I choose it above all else . I already explained I value the size of the monitor more than almost anything, could possibly get burn in with my use case (did on my plasma, regularly got IR on my OLED), and don't play as many story games where the better contrast would matter. Already said the response time is sufficient with my settings/use case l. I'm pointing out that there is a difference and if you play competitive shooters you can see/feel it. Let's not get our knickers in a twist condemning someone's motives/sending personal insults

quest

Not Banned from OT
It is choosing your shit sandwich as I see it. Every display has big draw backs. Maybe mini led will be fix everything but we shall see in like decade lol. I just am not confident in them getting manufacturing costs down to a reasonable level for a long time.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Crushed colors? What's wrong with you?

Look it up. there has been alot of conversation and tech articles on why oleds h ave color banding issues ,,even more so in dark colors. its just not a percise when turning a pixel on and off.

longdi

Banned
700-800 nits peak
Posterisation? worse subpixel text? what are you talking about. I used 4k 27" lg ips before. This lg c1 is just as sharp and no near black crush or posterization at all.
Maybe it was a problem with c9 or cx

i believe 800nits peak is like a 5% window

the wrgb text is real issue.

a good fald monitor has its pros too and can hit 1000nits 100% windows

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The problem with ghosting is, if you don't notice it its fine. If you do its straight up rage quit.
I do wonder if DSC is having an effect on image quality. It's claim to fame is that it doesn't. But I'd be curious to set the refresh down so that it falls under 32.4 GBps of DP 1.4.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

The brightness of LED vs the perfect contrast of OLED is a never ending debate. However, according to Vincent numerous blind tests have been done on perceived brightness and OLED would come out ahead in many instances due to the contrast giving a higher perceived brightness. That was back in like 2017.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Overall, I am very happy with the monitor, but ghosting with 60 fps content is a concern. I had to modify Skyrim so I can get higher framerates.

i'm in the same boat as you OP. i bought a 77 inch oled and has gsync. i really struggle moving back to my computer desk. i have a samsung va panel and an hp omen TN panel. i've tried all kinds of other "high end" monitors and they ALL suck compared to oled. it's truly a shame how bad monitors look. sure they perform great, but the picture is just terrible compared to oled.

longdi

Banned
The brightness of LED vs the perfect contrast of OLED is a never ending debate. However, according to Vincent numerous blind tests have been done on perceived brightness and OLED would come out ahead in many instances due to the contrast giving a higher perceived brightness. That was back in like 2017.

iirc Vincent prefer brightness of fald

rofif

Banned

Yeah peak window. Full screen is like 150 nits. And I used my LCD monitors at 100...
So the resulting image is vibrant with super bright highlights. Like blinding when you exit a cave in uncharted 4 :p

Text layout is invisible to me

Kuranghi

On my main display, a VA LCD TV, I play lots of games at 30hz and all the movies and (modern) TV shows I watch are at 24hz so making low fps constant look smoother by reducing the frame hold time due to the long response time, ie smearing the pixels, is preferable to me than having more clarity at 60hz and 24/30hz looking like stuttery shite.

If BFI was better than it is right now I'd feel differently but until the develop tech that can make it look like 24hz does in the cinema or better I'll stick with losing motion resolution over losing contrast and smooth playback of 24/30hz content.

I'm not interested in motion interpolation no matter how good it is because it always breaks down in some scenarios, just temporal injection/upsampling/CB/temporal AA does in games now, the difference being that I play games so I'm not focused on many parts of the screen at once, when I watch a movie its way easier to notice errors because I'm only watching it.

Also, forget about that monitor OP, it has great specs/figures until you realise its got that same crappy "edge array" backlight thats in so many monitors, so in practice you won't get anything like that contrast ratio or HDR impact the figures would imply, because they didnt test real HDR content (in the reviews I looked at anyway), just test patterns, which is obviously very useful for comparison with other displays, but doesn't really tell you how will actual perform with real content thats not just a 0% or 100% signal.

You need FALD or OLED for proper HDR in large format display, $1000 for this is crazy when you can get an 48" or even 55" OLED for the same price on clearance. Fair enough if you don't have the space but surely if you can fit a 43" you can fit a 48".

Once 60hz and beyond is commonplace in console games without compromising the image quality or density/fidelity of the effects I'll be happy to move on to a display with a much higher pixel response time that displays frame as clearly as you'd want for higher refresh rates, or if just if BFI gets better, but until then I prefer FALD VA LCD for media watching + console + PC use, because the better contrast, black level and HDR impact outweigh the loss of motion clarity for me personally.

CuNi

I am probably an outliner, but close to 2 years ago, I bought myself a 240Hz ACER 1080p Monitor with ULM and Backlight-Strobing and I am in love with it. Without the strobing it already looks way smoother than 144Hz and with Strobing it's even better. Obviously the downside would be that it's only 1080p but I care more about FPS and Motion-Smoothness than IQ at the games I play. I thought about getting a 1440p Screen but it's hard to reach super high framerates to make this a worth purchase IMHO. Way easier to maintain 240 or close to 240FPS on 1080p, even with high end GPUs if you play games outside of CS:GO.

just get a good quality monitor. my monitor has over drive settings that let me adjust ghosting based on refresh rate

OLED is nice but i'd rather deal with some ghosting than risk burning in the screen. i have OLED screens but i would absolutely no way in hell use an OLED monitor.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
just get a good quality monitor. my monitor has over drive settings that let me adjust ghosting based on refresh rate

OLED is nice but i'd rather deal with some ghosting than risk burning in the screen. i have OLED screens but i would absolutely no way in hell use an OLED monitor.
I can't see how a 48 inch monitor could ever be used for work. I have my room set up in such a way that if I did get an OLED monitor I would use it strictly for gaming. I use Monitor Profile Switcher, where my two 27 inch monitors are used for "work" but I switch over to my 3rd monitor for gaming and shut my work monitors off.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I decided to give it a try and see if the size and smearing/ghosting bothers me. Should be here by next Friday.

I imagine I'll end up returning it due to size, but I'm hoping I can make it work.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I decided to give it a try and see if the size and smearing/ghosting bothers me. Should be here by next Friday.

I imagine I'll end up returning it due to size, but I'm hoping I can make it work.
So far its pretty awesome. I made Skyrim run with an unlocked framerate and that is working just fine.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I can't see how a 48 inch monitor could ever be used for work. I have my room set up in such a way that if I did get an OLED monitor I would use it strictly for gaming. I use Monitor Profile Switcher, where my two 27 inch monitors are used for "work" but I switch over to my 3rd monitor for gaming and shut my work monitors off.
I don’t want to have the Visual Studio UI burned into my OLED lol. Plus personally that seems just way too big for a desk. I don’t want to tilt my head up and down constantly to see everything.

I do have a 35 inch 21:9 ultrawide that I use for both work and play. It’s perfect for having 2 documents side-by-side.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ

I found some good gameplay on the FV43U, i really want to put the trigger but i don't have any experience with VA panels.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it arrived earlier today and I gave it a go for an hour or so, updated firmware, played around with settings, etc. but could never get it to feel quite right. The size actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but the text issues (colored text against dark backgrounds in particular) and ghosting/black smearing in games, especially around the edges, just bothered me to no end. You could see white halos around objects and extreme black smearing on trees and distant mountains in games like Days Gone when rotating the camera, and it was really egregious (possibly due to how close I was sitting). Also, perhaps due to a lack of proper G-Sync certification, but the adaptive sync felt kind of stuttery in gameplay. I didn't get any screen tearing, but it did not feel very smooth.

Easy return decision for me, unfortunately.

Del_X

I have a 65 inch C9 and bought this because I have an occasionally very-bright office. Was super disappointed at first. I've found that Picture Quality is the best overdrive setting along with local dimming turned on. It's much more palatable and the ghosting, to my eye, is virtually eliminated.

rofif

Banned
Well, it arrived earlier today and I gave it a go for an hour or so, updated firmware, played around with settings, etc. but could never get it to feel quite right. The size actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but the text issues (colored text against dark backgrounds in particular) and ghosting/black smearing in games, especially around the edges, just bothered me to no end. You could see white halos around objects and extreme black smearing on trees and distant mountains in games like Days Gone when rotating the camera, and it was really egregious (possibly due to how close I was sitting). Also, perhaps due to a lack of proper G-Sync certification, but the adaptive sync felt kind of stuttery in gameplay. I didn't get any screen tearing, but it did not feel very smooth.

Easy return decision for me, unfortunately.
That is exactly how every VA looks... and You've not even touched on silvering, gamma difference and glow.
So yes. VA is the worst LCD tech imo. IPS is better but max up to 32", otherwise the ips glow is tragic.

If You were ok with 43", 48" oled is not that far... and has smaller bezels. think about it :messenger_sunglasses:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well guys, something crazy happened. I was able to order the 3080 from EVGA due to their system, meaning I can use HDMI 2.1

So I am officially returning my Gigabyte AORUS FV43U. Amazon agreed to let me return it for full credit which I will put toward the

48 inch LG C1 to serve as my gaming monitor. OLED gaming is just too damn good.

Out with the old, in with the new!

Rickyiez

My Coolermaster 34cw VA doesn't have any visible black smearing, it really depends on the label quality and VA has improved.

Also make sure you don't have something like overdrive turned on

But that said the 42" OLED mentioned here got me intrigued, what model it is?

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Kinda weird reading the older posts talking about smearing.

I have never noticed anything like that on my CX. It's the best display I've ever had.

Last edited:

yansolo

has anyone got this monitor? what do you think?

ive seen a couple of reviews and its making me itchy, bit pricey though :messenger_grimmacing_

benno

I have one. Smearing is an issue. I notice it on star field/skies clouds mostly. I turn off overdrive which helps a bit with greys but turning it on is better with blacks.

Blooming is near none existent and much better than QLED I've used before.

Black levels are actual black and not grey like other monitors.

HDR is fantastic.

White text on black background has an issue where it doesn't show clearly, sort of misses a row of pixels out.

When I purchased this monitor I was looking for basically a larger version of a LG 32GK650F , this monitor is pretty much exactly that. If you know the LG then you know how this looks.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
I have a Song OLED and liked my old Pana Plasma far better for gaming at 30fps. The fast response time on Oleds is what makes it a stuttering mess in 24p panning shots and a lot of gaming stuff. 120Hz mitigates this a lot.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
My Coolermaster 34cw VA doesn't have any visible black smearing, it really depends on the label quality and VA has improved.

Also make sure you don't have something like overdrive turned on

But that said the 42" OLED mentioned here got me intrigued, what model it is?
Its the 48 inch LG C1

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
has anyone got this monitor? what do you think?

ive seen a couple of reviews and its making me itchy, bit pricey though :messenger_grimmacing_
It was a good monitor and I think most people would be happy with it.

However, the ghosting/smearing even with overdrive, not to mention the elevated blacks just simply cannot compete with OLED. Until MicroLED comes around, OLED really truly offers the best gaming experience, aside from those who need maximum framerates for competitive gaming at 360 Hz.

The main reason I replaced it with an LG C1 was because I was able to obtain a 3080 from EVGA (to be delivered on Wednesday), which has HDMI 2.1. Now I can use 4K/120 on an OLED, which does away with all the disadvantages of LCD. No smearing. I can tolerate slight stutter at 60 fps. It's pretty poor for 30 fps, but I won't play games that I can only run at 30 fps, so it's a moot point.

Bottom line, the Gigabyte FV43U is a very good monitor.

Top Bottom