• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gigabyte confirms GeForce RTX 3060 8GB, RTX 3070 16GB and RTX 3080 20G

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
GIGABYTE-GeForce-RTX-3080-20GB.png

Gigabyte’s Watch Dogs Legion code redeeming website lists many graphics cards that have not been announced by the manufacturer. In fact, these cards have not even been announced by NVIDIA yet.
The product list features GeForce RTX 3060 (S – SUPER?) 8GB model, GeForce RTX 3070 16GB (S- SUPER?) and Geforce RTX 3080 20GB (also labelled S). It remains unclear if the S means a SUPER series, or as our sources tend to believe, the Ti models.

unknown.png

This leak confirms memory configurations that we speculated for at least two months now. The GA104-based RTX 3060 model will feature 8GB memory while the supercharged RTX 3070 model with full GA104 GPU (6144 CUDAs) is expected to feature 16GB of GDDR6 memory.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Hmm.. The 16Gb (GigaBits. F.ex. 320bit bus = 10x32bit chips a 16Gb each (16Gb=2GB) = 20GB VRAM) GDDR6x die sizes are not ready until sometime in 2021 according to the manufacturer, so this means the PCBs will have to be completely redesigned (like the 3090 has GDDR6X chips both on the front and back). Either way these cards will most likely be several hundred dollars more expensive and perhaps at best 5-10% faster, and most of the extra memory could potentially sit there unused. So how much are people willing to pay and wait for potentially little benefit?

Disclaimer: I'm considering the 3090, so I'm not trying to sway people away from anything with seemingly little value for performance.. I'm just a little puzzled by the claustrophobic performance gaps in Nvidia's strategy. All of this would make a little more sense to me if the 3090 was a bit faster than it is.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
10GB 3080 owners are getting shafted.

I wouldn't be so sure they are. In my opinion these new models, which I can't imagine we'll see this year, will be several hundred dollars more expensive for very little performance benefit. Remember that the 3090 seems to be only about ~20% faster than the 3080, so the gap to fit "Super/Ti" cards with more memory here is incredibly slim. So if very little performance benefits why would you want to pay hundreds of dollars for potentially underutilized VRAM. If you care about prize vs performance my prediction is that 3080 owners don't have to worry about this at all.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Cool, I was considering a 3080, but might as well wait for the 20GB version. That will feel like a better upgrade for my 2080 Ti

Even the 16GB 3070 could be decent, but I'll wait and see on how the 8GB version performs. If the 3080 reviews are any indication, though it will NOT be as fast as nvidia is boasting.

What the hell is nvidia doing!? For the life of me I can't understand why this company seems to adore pissing off its best customers. I'm glad I didn't get a 3080.
Nvidia's best customers should know the risks of buying Day 1. I'm glad I didn't try to get into that madness.

Last edited:
If you only wanted to use your 3080 for about year before replacing it with the 4080, then the 10GB version isn't such a bad idea.

But if you want your 3080 to last and use it for years, the 20GB version is a must.

nemiroff

Gold Member
But somebody tried to argue with me nVidia GPUs on PC doesn’t need more than 10GB of VRAM lol

I don't get it, what are you trying to say? Rumors of new models doesn't actually change anything regarding actual VRAM utilization (which I'm not saying is neither here nor there). So what kind of science and facts did you base your arguments on that they "need more than 10GB"? And which of the 3080 benchmarks would you say reflect this VRAM starvation in actual contextual numbers?

Another article showing that the 3090 is only 10% better than the 3080

It seems so bizarre to me.. Nvidia needs to get out of their basement and clear things up because to me this kind of performance makes no sense.

Last edited:

Gurgeh

Another article showing that the 3090 is only 10% better than the 3080

Reallink

20GB is such a waste, 14 or 16 would be more than sufficient and could actually be sold for a justifiable price. 20GB 3080 is gonna be $999.

Last edited:
Top Bottom