• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Give an average overall review score of ALL the games you've played in your life..

kiphalfton

I've beat probably a couple hundred games at this point in my life, some good, some bad, some great. However if I were to look at each game, attribute a score to it, and give it an HONEST evaluation/review, and take the average for all those games... it would very likely be probably about a 7/10 for everything.

Kev Kev

I've beat probably a couple hundred games at this point in my life, some good, some bad, some great. However if I were to look at each game, attribute a score to it, and give it an HONEST evaluation/review, and take the average for all those games... it would very likely be probably about a 7/10 for everything.

Fbh

Probably 7.

These days I'm pretty good at knowing if a game will be for me before I buy, but I've still played some stinkers overs the years, specially as a kid.

And there's also some games I enjoyed which I still wouldn't rate above 7/10

Punished Miku

Gold Member
VR4ykaH.jpg

Why.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
7, though I usually cut my time with <7s short, so more time was spent on the 8-10s. I know a 5 is technically average but I can't shake the grade school/video game review scaling where a 7 out of 10 is "average"

Last edited:
Based on the 90ish games I've played so far this year alone and with them being a mix of older and newer games I'd guess around 75/100

That's based on a scale where a 50/100 is actually average and a 75/100 is pretty damned good. I also score games based more on "did I have fun" than "did it look good" though looking good doesn't hurt, it's worthless of the game plays like shit.

I try not to play stuff that doesn't appeal to me as much as possible which probably keeps the average score higher. For example I tend to avoid modern walk-n-talk cinematic games because I know I hate the inane constant dialogue and having the controls ripped from me every time a cutscene needs to happen. That doesn't keep the odd piece of shit from working it's way through though.

Me and some friends actually tried making a ratings list of all the games we had played once, and it was real hard to name just 25 on the spot, even though all of us had played many, many more than that. Even sitting down and going through game libraries for various platforms online made it hard to hit 50, and at that point we were basically only dealing with games we didn’t remember well enough to score.

Thought experiments like this are an exercise in futility.

Rayderism

Dude! I've been playing games since Pong to the current day. 48 years worth at this point. I've quite literally played THOUSANDS of games, on dozens of different systems, many of which I probably wouldn't even remember having played if you showed them to me now. If I had to give an average score.....I don't know......65% I guess.

NahaNago

Probably like a 6. It would be more like an 8 if it was only games I purchased but as a kid you play everything you get.

kubricks

Overall about 6 to 7 I guess?
If its 5 or lower I will probably just go to my other hobbies and never look back.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I have beaten probably around 4000 games? Honestly the average I would rate them all would be an 8 to 9 /10. There are plenty of games I fucking despised (Destiny, TLOU2, Division, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey) but for every shitty game like that, I have played at least 300 amazing games.

Arachnid

8-9/10

I have fantastic taste and great ability to discern what I'll enjoy most of the time. I lost two points specifically on those mediocre Team Bloober horror games. Fuck those games.

kiphalfton

Probably like a 6. It would be more like an 8 if it was only games I purchased but as a kid you play everything you get.

Yeah I played a lot of games as a kid that I probably wouldn't play now. A lot of licensed crap namely. Avatar the Last Airbender, Fairly Odd Parents, most DBZ games outside Budokai/Legacy of Goku/Tenkaichi.

K.N.W.

FUN/10.
Anyway, a doctor once told me that trying to remember too many thing at once can induce haedache, so I would suggest that long time gamers tackle this reviewing task little by little, if they have the intention to remember and think about a lot of games.

Eimran

9/10. Especially since I started working I only focus on the highest rated games in the gaming community.

Last edited:

Lupin25

Does this include all the unadulterated trash played for 5 mins before throwing in trash also?

I’ll say 6.5/10 lol

If you like to try indies…
Lot a shovelware out there.

Duchess

Scored dragged down a bit by giving some games a chance, even though I was sure they'd be crap ;)

I try a lot of different things just out of curiosity, pair that with a lack of insight into which kinds of games I actually like and you get a solid 2/10. Takes quite a few tries for me to find something I stick to.

Average? 3/5. Some are great, some are awful and plenty are already squarely average.

I look to play games that are at least a 4/5, but I try lots of different games, so inevitably I end up playing plenty of things that don't warrant my time. But it's easy to drop games that show themselves to be poor quality without too much investment. On the flip side, I find hidden treasures because there are great games out there that don't get attention.

Last edited:

DonF

9/10

I love gaming, every year new and better experiences. The medium is awesome.
I remember playing Kirby on nes and being blown away by it, and now playing Kirby on switch its just incredible.

I saw huge jumps in graphics, quality, story telling, scope, everything!
It's awesome ...I played the original dragon quest and a couple of years back I pkayed XI and I wanted to cry. In my mind and memories both games looked the same.

I remember my mom watching me play mass effect for hours cause she was genuinely into it.

I feel like I've grown with videogames and they never cease to impress me.

Also, if a game is not interesting to me I drop it fast. So yeah, a 9/10 overall. Cause can't wait to see what the future holds.

MiguelItUp

Probably 8. There's a lot of games that I've played that are 10/10 to me, lord knows I've enjoyed some 5s, 6s, and 7s too. But 8 makes the most sense as a total average.

9/10, I ain't playing bad games in recent years. Lower if you include the period when I was young and would just play whatever I had available.

I have a good sense of what I'll like and what I won't. When I try something and it isn't impressing me I'll drop it pretty soon.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
Honestly probably a 9. There are very few games I have bought and played that I was disappointed in.

My whole life I've had quiiiiiite a good sense for what will be good. To the point where I'm consistently shocked how people didn't realize certain games would be a dumpster fire.

BossLackey

Gold Member
No clue, but I do know this, like all media as I get older the avg. continues to decline ....rapidly.

I hear this a lot and I don't really understand. Can you give me some examples?

I've always had the suspicion (and you tell me if I'm wrong) that comments like this are predicated on a lack of game diversity. Do you stay in a handful of specific genres?

BossLackey

Gold Member
9/10

I love gaming, every year new and better experiences. The medium is awesome.
I remember playing Kirby on nes and being blown away by it, and now playing Kirby on switch its just incredible.

I saw huge jumps in graphics, quality, story telling, scope, everything!
It's awesome ...I played the original dragon quest and a couple of years back I pkayed XI and I wanted to cry. In my mind and memories both games looked the same.

I remember my mom watching me play mass effect for hours cause she was genuinely into it.

I feel like I've grown with videogames and they never cease to impress me.

Also, if a game is not interesting to me I drop it fast. So yeah, a 9/10 overall. Cause can't wait to see what the future holds.

It really is an incredible medium. To the point that I feel like my parents and sisters (both who are about 10 and 11 years older than me) are massively missing out. There are things you can only experience with a game and luckily I see more and more people playing games that just 5 years ago didn't touch them.

I feel that way about several entertainment mediums, though. People who don't read books, comics or manga are doing themselves a massive disservice. I absolutely adore movies, but while they offer spectacle unlike anything else, they are so limiting in that they require a massive budget to be justified by a studio, which limits their scope heavily. Other mediums can take massive creative gambles and when it pays off it's something else.

CitizenZ

Banned
I hear this a lot and I don't really understand. Can you give me some examples?

I've always had the suspicion (and you tell me if I'm wrong) that comments like this are predicated on a lack of game diversity. Do you stay in a handful of specific genres?
LOL, no. Im probably in the .1% who plays and enjoys almost everything in this hobby. JRPGs def are the one genre, though I tried and completed Ni No Kuni, I know they are not for me. I play what I want, when i want not because it came out today or its the hot thing to play. Hell over the steam NF event i spent almost 40 hrs+ in 4 demos, still playing some, and all were completely different from each other. After going back to some older titles and playing ME1 LE and especially an MMO from 2009 earlier this yr one thig is apparent, nothing from a gameplay perspective really has changed. Left trigger, right trigger, take cover, distribute points, level up, etc etc. I do know the more realistic graphics become the less interested I am in the title. I appreciate that there are titles bordering on severe realism like Etf and RoN but no interest in playing these anymore. I guess it why I played the heck out of the demo for Stalcraft and some of the test for Battlebit both set in the Minecraft world with better lighting and very nice art design for weapons, armors. And during my time with both everyone was just having fun, there seemed to be a different attitude which also increase my enjoyment for just playing.

Top Bottom