• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GKD releases GKD Mini Plus Retro handheld ($67, Up to DC game emulation, detachable sticks, 1GB Ram, Type-C, 2 SD card readers, Linux Jello Distro)

https://elchapuzasinformatico-com.t...uto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp
GKD has officially presented the Mini Plus, the company's next retro console dedicated to all those gamers who are fans of old games in 4:3 format. And it is that, it has a 3.5-inch IPS screen with a resolution of 640 x 480 pixels, fulfilling that once popular almost square ratio. Thus, it is perfect for playing old video games without having to go through screen scaling and format changes that distort the original image. In fact, we can play retro titles from consoles like the Game Boy Advance , Nintendo 64 or even PSP with the GKD Mini Plus.

And it is that, it has a Rockchip RK3566 inside, which consists of four ARM Cortex-A55 CPUs at a frequency of 1.8 GHz . Regarding its GPU, it has a Mali-G52, which together with 1 GB of RAM is enough to play retro video games.It also has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, a 3,000 mAH battery , two microSD card readers and a Type-C port for charging and data transfer. Additionally, this type-C can be used to add a pair of joysticks , which are available in the same colors as the console.

, on the other hand, we don't want to have the joysticks separately, GKD has released a version that already includes them. This would be the GKD Mini Plus Classic , which, as we can see, is the same as the previous one, but it has the two joysticks already installed. This not only makes it very similar to the previous one in design, but also in specifications, since they are identical except for the addition of joysticks. Saying so, that both GKD Mini Plus will arrive with the Linux operating system under the JELOS distro and should have enough power to emulate old consoles.
New version:
website

FotoJet-3-119.jpg

q93_9d9d6418224001a5a4e71452243d5db73d5dfbcf6030545082e28390df449bc4.png

Classic version option (sticks are attached and can't be removed or exchanged)
q93_c0b401c9a006d8d56f1e079d8099b514ed46d00ca59bab37bb4eb98e87fd263e.png.webp

website

While it's only announced for Asia currently, most likely you'll be able to buy it as an import shortly, and if it's anything like other GKD products I've looked into, third parties will be selling it officially indirectly through online stores in the Europe and the US not too long after. For $67, having a 4:3 clean 480p screen to play old games up to the Dream Cast is a pretty good deal. The few hand on impressive I've found are vague but seem to vouch for the screen and build quality.

My issue is the form factor really, it's not how i'd want to play these games, I'd like a slightly larger screen in land scape format, likely with stick attached though removal is also fine. I don't like the verticality of the hardware which makes the stick and control placement subpar. I can see how I'd have to cramp my fingers to even use the sticks.

Like that little lightning effect they added in that 2nd pic on the right to make it look cool you can remove the sticks. Unless you buy the classic style option which has them attached.

Top Bottom