• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glen Schofield On How The Callisto Protocol Will Be Bigger Than Dead Space

Rambone

I am excited for both games equally. I would love to re-experience the first Dead Space game since it was probably my favorite. I also appreciate that I will get to experience something fresh and new with Callisto as well. There is room for both and I will be getting both, what a treat.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Papoutsis served as the senior producer on Dead Space as well as the executive producer on Dead Space 2 where it was decided that Isaac would take on more of a speaking role. The developer explained back then that it made sense for Isaac to be more talkative in the sequel given the events he went through in the first, but what's the philosophy for a new character backed by a famous actor?

"Well, for me personally, I really love story," Papoutsis said in an interview with ComicBook.com. "I think you want a protagonist. You don't want a chatty protagonist. You don't want a wise cracking tongue in cheek character. I always... I hope with the games that I get to be a part of, that the main character channels the thoughts of the player in a way."

Papoutsis continued to say talking moments for protagonists like Jacob could be attempts to mirror what a player might be thinking or could be something that's necessary to move the story forward. The latter is an appropriate time to talk, he said, but some opportunities for speech simply aren't as important.

"So as you're going through the experience, they might say something that you're thinking," he said. "And then in terms of moving the narrative along, which is really important to us in all the games that I've had a part in, really creating a narrative that lets players escape in that world or enjoy that universe that we're making. I think it's important if the story calls for that character to talk. So, in different instances, sometimes it's not important. Maybe there's nobody to talk to and it would be weird if they're just talking to themselves. And other times, as I described, if something's going to help move the story along or create a connection with another character, then I think it's appropriate."

Yerd

I had no idea they dropped the PUBG link. I've never played PUBG and don't care, but it was kind of interesting that this was involved somehow.

It does have extreme Dead Space similarities. They have the same POV and the weapon was very similar visually. Telekinetic powers in there, the lack of HUD, one of the best things of Dead Space. I don't think Dead Space 4 vibes can be avoided here.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Really excited to see this, echo what others say that hopefully this will have 60fps on next gen consoles/PC. That will make it a day one for me to see how spooky it is, still a good bit off though.

We get so much crap these days it's easier to notice games that are actually ambitious and stand out. This is one of those games. This game Reeks of quality and heart. A traditional no bullshit single player campaign that developers seems to be afraid of doing these days.

Orbital2060

We get so much crap these days it's easier to notice games that are actually ambitious and stand out. This is one of those games. This game Reeks of quality and heart. A traditional no bullshit single player campaign that developers seems to be afraid of doing these days.
What is supposed to be ambitious about this game? When it looks exactly like Dead Space? But bigger. That doesnt make anything ambitious or new, just more of the same.

And if you didnt like those games it doesnt look like there is anything new here, from the trailer and gameplay at least. I wont go on about it (and derail the anticipation), but wanted to say this when people make bold claims about innovation and new things when in fact they are exactly the same. Its yet another shooter in space, as if there arent a million of these already.

darkangel-212559

Dreamcast Love
What is supposed to be ambitious about this game? When it looks exactly like Dead Space? But bigger. That doesnt make anything ambitious or new, just more of the same.

And if you didnt like those games it doesnt look like there is anything new here, from the trailer and gameplay at least. I wont go on about it (and derail the anticipation), but wanted to say this when people make bold claims about innovation and new things when in fact they are exactly the same. Its yet another shooter in space, as if there arent a million of these already.

Blah blah blah drive by trash post blah blah blah

You done arm chair developer?

Just the fact that it's a single player game alone is innovation in 2022. A game focused on quality, instead of how can we make as much money as possible for this game. How can we make it into a service?

When did it become like this? It's so bad.

Last edited:

kyussman

I'm not trying to be funny but does anyone else get good vibes from this guy,lol......it's nice in this current climate to have a middle aged white guy making a game,it's like going back in time to when people who made games actually cared about the game rather than the message.Every time I see a purple haired 20 something game dev talk about their game I can't help but think about what bullshit they are probably trying to put in their game......ha,ha,ha,I'm such a bigot,just being honest though.

I'm not trying to be funny but does anyone else get good vibes from this guy,lol......it's nice in this current climate to have a middle aged white guy making a game,it's like going back in time to when people who made games actually cared about the game rather than the message.Every time I see a purple haired 20 something game dev talk about their game I can't help but think about what bullshit they are probably trying to put in their game......ha,ha,ha,I'm such a bigot,just being honest though.

343i is what happens when you got a studio full of people who care more about diversity, instead of being good at what you do. Which is to make the best game possible.

Yeah, you can tell he's really into the game and his work, no pretense, no lecturing, pandering or bullshit, just straight up game talk. It's refreshing!

sad times when we call it refreshing. there were times in the past when most developers used to give a shit about the games they're making. now its so rare, its nice to see.

Yerd

I don't know about good vibes, but I trust his leadership from his Dead Space history.

I will say he is the exact opposite of any other dev lead you will ever see. In appearance and sound. I don't know if he has any tech skills. First impression is he's the guy that has an idea for a game and tells others to make it happen. Not really a first impression because I have seen him once before doing an interview on DS1.

kyussman

I don't know about good vibes, but I trust his leadership from his Dead Space history.

I will say he is the exact opposite of any other dev lead you will ever see. In appearance and sound. I don't know if he has any tech skills. First impression is he's the guy that has an idea for a game and tells others to make it happen. Not really a first impression because I have seen him once before doing an interview on DS1.
He looks like a guy I could have a beer with......and I don't think that would be the case with most game devs,lol.

NinjaBoiX

I 100% hold Dead Space 1 (and to a slightly lesser extent 2) in incredibly high esteem as a blueprint for how to craft a mechanically tight and immersive TPS, horror or not.

It’s one of those magical games where the disconnect between the player with pad in an hand and the things happening on screen seemed to all but disappear; it’s an incredibly well crafted game that has tangible controls, nigh on perfect UI and superlative audio/visual feedback seemingly woven into the code.

It’s in my top 10, maybe to 5 games of all time.
I hope it's better than Dead Space. One because as much as I like that game myself, it's overrated - and two because I want to see proof that top tier horror action games can still be made today.
This is one of the few times I would say this, but you’re definitely wrong.

Even if you don’t like the aesthetic or any of the other less important aspects of its design, the nuts and bolts are exemplary.

It’s like a masterclass in how to design a coherent video game experience in terms of all the things that really matter.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

PCGamesN spoke with Chris Stone, chief creative officer at Striking Distance Studios and formerly animation director on Dead Space, about where the team are looking most closely for inspiration. Stone names genre-defining horror game series Silent Hill and Resident Evil as “obvious influences,” but says that Striking Distance Studios also takes “a lot of inspiration from movies like The Thing and Event Horizon.” Stone quotes French and Korean cinema as prominent influences, saying that both are “really stepping up their game in the horror genre.”

In addition, Stone says, “we’ve found ourselves looking at a lot of real-life examples of horror and gore. While these were a lot less fun to research, it was some of the most memorable and valuable content when it came to creating realistic visuals and experiences.” This has been a controversial subject in the past, with some people questioning the long-term effects on developers of studying real-world gore for games such as Mortal Kombat 11.

Of course, there’s one inspiration in particular that everyone will draw comparison to, given the involvement of Stone, the game’s creator Glen Schofield, chief development officer Steve Papoutsis, along with Striking Distance’s art director, lighting director, audio director, and design director – all of whom worked on Dead Space.

“Naturally our creative fingerprints are all over The Callisto Protocol,” says Stone. “All those ideas we had years ago on Dead Space that we couldn’t do because the hardware couldn’t keep up, now we can do them and it’s amazing.” EA’s own Dead Space remake is set to release in January, but Stone says the team at Striking Distance Studios isn’t worrying about that. “I’ve shipped nearly 30 titles in my career, and we’ve always had competition. We just put ourselves in the shoes of the gamer and make the best game we can.”

bender

What time is it?
I 100% hold Dead Space 1 (and to a slightly lesser extent 2) in incredibly high esteem as a blueprint for how to craft a mechanically tight and immersive TPS, horror or not.

I would have been with you until I replayed DS2 a few years back. I just don't think it has aged all that gracefully. I'm not even sure I can put my finger on why. It's because of that playthrough that I've hesitated to go back to the original for so long which funnily enough I started last week. I'm only on the second chapter but DS1 feels....less linear?...Wider from a level design perspective? Also, I remember these games giving me the hebbie jebbies and they aren't phasing me this time around. Maybe I've broadened my horror game horizons but I'm generally a chicken shit when it comes to this genre. I do think I'm enjoying my time with the original more, at least early on. One thing that does spring to mind is how manageable the game is with the default plasma cutter.

I'm still really looking forward to the Callisto Protocol.

Last edited:

VinnyMac

so this is obviously a starfield/NMS situation i thought that was dead space holy shit drawing inspiration is one thing copying and pasting is another holy fuck

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
so this is obviously a starfield/NMS situation i thought that was dead space holy shit drawing inspiration is one thing copying and pasting is another holy fuck
Well it’s being created by one of the original creator of Dead Space, similar to how Dark Souls is spiritual successor to Demons Souls.

VinnyMac

Well it’s being created by one of the original creator of Dead Space, similar to how Dark Souls is spiritual successor to Demons Souls.
i mean i figured that much but jesus the movements the health system the way he shoots the gun just screams dead space

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This game showcase was a summer highlight. All in. Looks super fun. Very happy the dead space people get their redemption arc.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
uFHamYi.jpg

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I would have been with you until I replayed DS2 a few years back. I just don't think it has aged all that gracefully. I'm not even sure I can put my finger on why. It's because of that playthrough that I've hesitated to go back to the original for so long which funnily enough I started last week. I'm only on the second chapter but DS1 feels....less linear?...Wider from a level design perspective? Also, I remember these games giving me the hebbie jebbies and they aren't phasing me this time around. Maybe I've broadened my horror game horizons but I'm generally a chicken shit when it comes to this genre. I do think I'm enjoying my time with the original more, at least early on. One thing that does spring to mind is how manageable the game is with the default plasma cutter.

I'm still really looking forward to the Callisto Protocol.
Oh, man, I disagree on Dead Space 2. I think its aged very gracefully. Still super immersive. It did the whole "done in one camera take" before God of War 2018 and didn't have to flex nuts about it. Cuz a real gangsta ass game like DS2 knows its got em

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I've played Dead Space so many times at this point, I can't even get excited for the remake. I'd imagine there are many people like me who are more looking forward to Callisto
I'm excited for the Dead Space remake because at least what they've shown, they've indicated that it's not a shot for shot remake. Sure there's things that you're going to know by heart, but it's going to be exciting when all of a sudden you are going somewhere that didn't exist in the first game. However, I'm am unbelievably excited for Callisto. The only thing I'm disappointed about is that the release is in December and not October!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Glen Schofield, the game's director and one of the studio's founders, spoke at length with Eurogamer about the game, Striking Distance's approach to its debut title, and the comparisons to Dead Space. It was the latter of the three that led Schofield to touch on The Callisto Protocol's gore and how it compares to Dead Space. Schofield's quote can be found below.

"It's got some pretty horrific moments, it really does. We have a gore engine - we built Gore technology. It's a lot of rendering, and you break up the characters into jumps, cut them up with bones sticking out and all that. Then the rendering guys, they do their special thing to it which is make everything look wet. And so every character had to be done that way - and however you go at it, chunks break off, or parts of the face, parts of the head. It's so advanced compared to Dead Space."

Top Bottom