• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Glen Schofield On How The Callisto Protocol Will Be Bigger Than Dead Space

Yerd

Glen Schofield, the game's director and one of the studio's founders, spoke at length with Eurogamer about the game, Striking Distance's approach to its debut title, and the comparisons to Dead Space. It was the latter of the three that led Schofield to touch on The Callisto Protocol's gore and how it compares to Dead Space. Schofield's quote can be found below.

I could be misremembering which video is which at this point, but I think the Dead Space crew are doing the exact same thing with their remake.

Tarkus98

"It's got some pretty horrific moments, it really does. We have a gore engine - we built Gore technology. It's a lot of rendering, and you break up the characters into jumps, cut them up with bones sticking out and all that. Then the rendering guys, they do their special thing to it which is make everything look wet. And so every character had to be done that way - and however you go at it, chunks break off, or parts of the face, parts of the head. It's so advanced compared to Dead Space."
Gore Engine. Gore Technology. I mean it sounds kinda goofy as shit. Then I continue to read that bones are sticking out. There’s a separate rendering team responsible for making shit look all wet and gooey. Chunks of meat falling all over the place, blowing chunks. I’m fucking sold. So excited for this.

Gore Engine. Gore Technology. I mean it sounds kinda goofy as shit. Then I continue to read that bones are sticking out. There’s a separate rendering team responsible for making shit look all wet and gooey. Chunks of meat falling all over the place, blowing chunks. I’m fucking sold. So excited for this.
Curious to see if eyeballs can pop out of sockets

Pretty cool that we're getting a Dead Space remake and a new Dead Space-like game from the original creators in such a short space of time. A sci-fi horror bonanza.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Oh, man, I disagree on Dead Space 2. I think its aged very gracefully. Still super immersive. It did the whole "done in one camera take" before God of War 2018 and didn't have to flex nuts about it. Cuz a real gangsta ass game like DS2 knows its got em

It looks VERY GOOD when you mod it for 4k/60fps.+ Just like with DS1. Very good games, in their own rights. Sound design was top notch. Felt like Alien, at times.

GymWolf

I liked a bit more the gore in the tech demo of ds remake than what we saw in callisto for now.

The hope of having a really dynamic gore system is kinda of a chimera tho, i still expect pre-canned gore with fixed pieces that you can detach but not a really dynamic system like shadow warrior 2 or mgs rising.

Fools idol

Banned
I met him at a con sometime around DS2 release and when I asked him what his feelings where about the series he said immediately 'I'm going to make the greatest horror sci fi game they never could' lol.

Shook his hand and said I look forward to it, and here we are.

There is an aura to the guy, he's somewhere between the genius of Miyazaki and the brazen ego of Ken Levine but not quite as accomplished (yet) as either. Lets hope the years have given him chance to grow.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Bump because I re-watched this interview today, and it's got me even more excited about Callisto Protocol. This guy CARES about the games he makes and seems like a natural leader. In Glen we trust.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

IGN host Alan Wheeler attends The Callisto Protocol San Diego Comic Con party on the roof of the Hard Rock Hotel to check out the night’s highlights, from themed drinks to a pool filled with severed limbs, and talks with game creator Glen Schofield to learn about this exciting new survival horror title, all sponsored by The Callisto Protocol.

The Callisto Protocol, the survival horror action game from Striking Distance and Glen Schofield, comes out December 2, 2022 on Playstation (PS5, PS4) Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S and PC.

FY2ZpDaVQAE1rXO

Matsuchezz

I have not read anything on the backstory of the game. Is the monster an alien race or something? if so, I would like to see a pov of the creature. And why the thing is doing what it is doing.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
He isn’t and he shouldn’t be worried about the Dead Space remake coming out pretty close to The Callisto Protocol.
Speaking as a massive fan of original DS and the series, I'm far more interested in The Callisto Protocol than the remake right now. And that's just from material shown so far (not putting any particular attachment to the developer names behind it).

Top Bottom