• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GLOW |OT| The highest rated wrestling program on television - Netflix June 23rd

Joeku

Has Rich Sommer ever played a likable character?

Firewatch_cover.jpg

But even there he's kind of a major dick.

Yes. And Bash is Piz from Veronica Mars. Who I hated in that role but loved loved in Glow. Especially his friendship with Maccu Picchu.

OMG!! I knew I recognized him but had no idea he was fucking PIZ! I hated him so much in that role, I'm glad he could redeem himself as Bash.

PSqueak

Banned
Yes. And Bash is Piz from Veronica Mars. Who I hated in that role but loved loved in Glow. Especially his friendship with Maccu Picchu.

I loved that he was the first person to tell her she's gonna be a Face instead of being defaulted to a "monster villian".

But then goes straight to racist stereotypes.

Shaneus

I'm almost of the opinion that Bash is the shows' MVP. ALMOST.

But hes edged out by Sam and Welfare queen.
It's easier for me to pick the characters that I actively don't like. Like the one who did the
fake abortion
, I can't recall her name.

I also think the couple that tag-team as the old ladies didn't get enough screen time, either. But that's what S2 is for, right?

PSqueak

Banned
It's easier for me to pick the characters that I actively don't like. Like the one who did the
fake abortion

Melrose.

Im glad they have downplayed her a lot past the first few episodes, cause i know her character is an archetype, but it's an annoying one.

AndersK

fake abortion

I also think the couple that tag-team as the old ladies didn't get enough screen time, either. But that's what S2 is for, right?

Melrose, I think? I get your sentiment, only I kinda dug her as the group asshole.

And yeah, the two old phone prankers were underdeveloped.

I'm almost of the opinion that Bash is the shows' MVP. ALMOST.

But hes edged out by Sam and Welfare queen.

Bash and Sam are so good because they're more than just the scummy director and dumbass producer, though they absolutely are that still

I loved that he was the first person to tell her she's gonna be a Face instead of being defaulted to a "monster villian".

But then goes straight to racist stereotypes.

That's mostly because Bash is a dumbass

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Halfway through the show and this is outstanding... like way better than I thought it would be. I'd put this in my top Netflix exclusive list. They're doing this slow drip feed of exploring every character and it's great. At first I thought the show but by largely Ruth-focused but the last few have explored the rest of the group pretty well. Now I hope it doesn't take a nosedive in the second half.

Finished watching this earlier this week. Overall I really enjoyed the show, though I felt the pacing was a bit off at times. I'll definitely keep watching this assuming there's going to be more (and I don't see why there wouldn't).

That final Zoya getup was fucking amazing. They probably spent their entire costume budget on that considering what some of the other wrestlers were wearing.

pixeldash

Neo Member
Watched it all last night, and I absolutely loved it. I literally don't have a single complaint. Loved the characters, the costumes, the music, the pacing--enjoyed every episode and thought it wrapped up perfectly. Really hope this show gets lots of attention.

I thought it wasn't that she was a bad actress but that she was being held back by sexism? Wasn't that what the entire first scene was about? She also didn't have the "it" factor or demeanor for people to want her to cast her in the available brainless roles that she was competing with hundreds of other girls to get.

Nah, her character is actually kind of a nerdy, try hard bad actress.

Gothos

Watched the whole season in two days. God damn, that was amazing. And this incredible soundtrack. Man, what a great show :)

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
"You wanna make out again?"

Finished. Read through the thread a bit and it's great seeing so many people love it. I could handle a few more seasons of this if they keep up this quality. Near the top of the Netflix originals for sure, adored this show.

PSqueak

Banned
By the way, is this the first ever show to use
Abortion
as a tool to decrease Drama rather than creating it?

Altho it is possible that it might affect Ruth, the truth is, having the abortion in every sense would avoid further drama with Debbie and her husband.

NH Apache

Banned
Amazing show, just finished.

Watching the original pilot on YouTube now and holy shit. How was this not bigger than wwf? It's amazing

TAD

Finished watching this earlier this week. Overall I really enjoyed the show, though I felt the pacing was a bit off at times. I'll definitely keep watching this assuming there's going to be more (and I don't see why there wouldn't).

That final Zoya getup was fucking amazing. They probably spent their entire costume budget on that considering what some of the other wrestlers were wearing.
Everything about that final costume was fire, every layer that came off there was more awesome underneath.

Really enjoyed this, definitely one of the best Netflix exclusive shows, love that its only 35-ish mins

Just curious, not been through the entire thread, but did any one pick up on the hints that
Bash was gay?
I thought it was quite obvious, but my girlfriend didn't pick up on it at all.

WHAT A FINALE!

I was ready to complain when...

Spoilers:
the final match between Russia and USA was delivered via a montage. I was actually legit pissed. I was wondering how the fuck they bungled what should have been an epic finale. But lo and behold Welfare Queen steps in and the rest is history!

Fan frickin' tastic.

*This post is sponsored by Patio Town.

Not

Banned
Just curious, not been through the entire thread, but did any one pick up on the hints that
Bash was gay?

Yeah, when his butler made a certain comment about doing the dishes and then they immediately afterward made a comment about him being young for a butler or something

Or something

Gay people in the 80's. Subtlety.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Bash was gay?

Thought that was very obvious. The 'butler' is the clear tell, but there's other hints as well, like using the pink glitter for his eyes.

Pluto

Bash was gay?
It was super obvious, having a young live in "butler" who doesn't seem to know how to domthe job, neither of them showing any interest in women at all in a show that features a lot of sex, Bash getting very defensive when Sam talked about Florian, his mom being disappointed with his life choices, the pink eyeshadow etc.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
man, loved this show. Its so heartwarming, cool, real. So honest, so progressive. REALLY progressive. i feel attached to basically all of them, even Bash, his last shot introducing the GLOW had me almost moved to tears because I grew to truly like the bumbling idiot

also, wtf am i reading? Melrose hate? Comon she's loud as hell but the phone pranks had me in stitches FUUUUUCKKKK YOUUUUUU

also, Betty Gilpin, holy mother of gosh

betty-gilpin-netflix-glow.jpg

d2b.png

If you haven't yet, please watch the documentary "GLOW: The story of the gorgeous ladies of wrestling" from 2012 (also available on Netflix).

I was rather disappointed in the series Glow for a variety of reasons. Seeing the documentary underlines it, as the real life stories of the wrestlers and people who are involved in the whole thing are 1000x more interesting, and I'm confused why the writers haven't used more of those stories.

Anyway, if you liked the series, you will love the documentary, do watch it!

Edit: Couldn't find an official trailer, here's a youtube one though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cK_qd3ev5w

Shaneus

If you haven't yet, please watch the documentary "GLOW: The story of the gorgeous ladies of wrestling" from 2012 (also available on Netflix).

I was rather disappointed in the series Glow for a variety of reasons. Seeing the documentary underlines it, as the real life stories of the wrestlers and people who are involved in the whole thing are 1000x more interesting, and I'm confused why the writers haven't used more of those stories.

Anyway, if you liked the series, you will love the documentary, do watch it!

Edit: Couldn't find an official trailer, here's a youtube one though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cK_qd3ev5w
I can only guess it's meant to be more of an "inspired by" kind of thing, and to more fit the cast of people they were able to get.

Found it fun looking at the similarities between the Netflix show and the original 80s show, particularly the inspiration for Bash and just how closely they followed him (for the most part).

Hell, it's gotten me curious about following some kind of current wrestling, so I guess it's kinda done it's part!

Just binged this show in one day, i very much wish the episodes were 10 minutes longer. Great show, I'm totally hooked. Like 2/3 episodes in I was a little worried as a couple of characters were pretty unlikable to me but the more I got to know them the more likable they became, and I'm glad none of them turned out like shallow caricatures but as actual people with their own quirks. Can't wait for season 2(assuming it's coming) and I hope to see some more focus on the wrestling stories and action while not sacrificing any time spent on the specific characters.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Just finished the show, LOVED it. I was worried it was going to end a certain way, thankfully it didn't. It probably could have been better/longer (some characters felt underdeveloped, for example), but it's been a long time since I have laughed so hard because a show, but it also had some geniunely warm and touching moments. And great 80s aestethics.
Now I'm hoping for a season 2!

She was originally listed in the cast on IMDB months ago, but now she's not listed there anymore. At first I thought she was the viking.

I'll remove her from the picture tonight.

Ah ok. I thought I was having a brain fart and just couldn't for the life of me remember who she was.

ApharmdX

Banned
I ignored this show when it came out, thinking it wouldn't appeal to me, but I was wrong. Binged it over two days and shit, this was a lot of fun!

UncleMeat

Started it yesterday and finished it today. Brie was amazing and Maron was hilarious. The whole cast was pretty good.

soundtrack spoiler:
Stan Bush - "Dare" for a montage
. That's when I knew I loved the show.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Everytime this is bumped I think its a season 2 announcement :(

CREMSteve

Started it yesterday and finished it today. Brie was amazing and Maron was hilarious. The whole cast was pretty good.

soundtrack spoiler:
Stan Bush - "Dare" for a montage
. That's when I knew I loved the show.
Re: that spoiler - me too. Had a huge smile on my face, turned to my wife and said OMG I love this show.

Just finished binging it in a single sitting. We want more!

thefro

Finally watched this over a couple days and thought it was excellent. Fun watch for me as a wrasslin' fan.

Brie & Maron especially killed it.

sjboi

Finally finished this, and for the most part I loved it! But I hated the main character. Just soooo plain Jane. Reminded me of Piper from OitNB, another boring main character. Thank God for her Russian accent. The supporting cast was terrific and I enjoyed the show's aesthetic.

Top Bottom