• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GmanLives: Dead to Rights is a Timeless Masterpiece

Shakka43

Was interested in the game when I first saw it on a magazine but it was Xbox exclusive for a while so I had to wait for a PS2/GameCube release. Loved it when I finally got it on Gamecube.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I remember this. Never played it though.
I remember to he reviews put me off.
Imagine saying that in 2022 😂

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I remember playing this on release on the PS2 and thinking this was a Boot Leg ass Max Payne....But the dog was cool. I remember beating it over a weekend and thought it was a cool enough rental.

CamHostage

I only ever played the PSP game (made by Rebellion, who fit a bunch of these third-person shooter games into I think the Rogue Trooper framework,) and I can't say I ever understood how DTR was supposed to work? You sort of flopped around so you could aim properly, then sometimes you would hit the Dog button...

Same lol. Not sure if it was buyers remorse, lack of games, or the game actually wasn't that bad. Don't get me wrong, it has it's major draw backs, but I definitely finished the campaign and then some!
I did like it in a so bad it's good low rent Max Payne way. I remember it being janky when janky was all games. I also remember the sequel and psp game I think being pretty bad.

They were bad, but at the same time, good. I fully enjoyed the broken game at the time. It definitely wasn't polished at the time, but holy shit did i have a great time, at the time.
The edgelord early 2000 still in the shadow of the 90s anesthetic was a big part of my enjoyment. I remember being in gamestop once and I mentioned the game in general to the clerk, and this giant roided out dude started shitting on it. All I could do is nod in agreement because I felt like he would have hulked out and toss me into the sun. The friend I was with still brings up the true face of terror on my face.

The edgelord early 2000 still in the shadow of the 90s anesthetic was a big part of my enjoyment. I remember being in gamestop once and I mentioned the game in general to the clerk, and this giant roided out dude started shitting on it. All I could do is nod in agreement because I felt like he would have hulked out and toss me into the sun. The friend I was with still brings up the true face of terror on my face.
Haha that's such a good story. I don't think gamers can appreciate most games in today's times, because of this. Unless it's marketed and an AAA title. Remember when we had games that never could get a patch, so it was meticulously fixed before release? No DLC's, etc? Gone are those days 😭

Haha that's such a good story. I don't think gamers can appreciate most games in today's times, because of this. Unless it's marketed and an AAA title. Remember when we had games that never could get a patch, so it was meticulously fixed before release? No DLC's, etc? Gone are those days 😭
I do remember no patches, but I also remember glitches that weren't fied til a new cartridge was released. Slow down and fucked sprites were good memories. Blowing on cartridges or sticking them in the freezer. And dlc literally being charged at full price(hello sf2), and I loved every minutes of it. I also remember paying for cheats......game genie you beautiful bastard.

Last edited:

Banned
This game was hyped like it was gonna be a huge franchise back in the day

yeah, and I loved it at the time... I really need to replay this soon I think... Time to fire up the good old PCSX2 lol... or CXBX depending on if it runs well on that
edit: there was a PC version tho... I wonder if that is any good

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I really enjoyed Dead to Rights back in the day. Great gunplay and tongue in cheek humor. The dog levels and dog attack, mini-games and the first person sniper helicopter level added some nice variety.

Xbox version is bad, go PS2 if possible
The Xbox was the best version back in the day and it had a great sense of accomplishment when completing the game, due to almost Ninja Gaiden like difficulty. The PS2 and GC versions were made easier (Ninja Dog mode 😜). The Xbox version also had Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, while the PS2 and GC didn't. The Xbox version is also backwards compatible and can be played in 4k/60FPS on a One X and Series consoles.

"In a direct side-by-side comparison, all three versions of Dead to Rights look about the same, though the Xbox version is the clearest and sharpest, closely followed by the GameCube version."

"The PlayStation 2 and GameCube versions of Dead to Rights offer you a choice of three difficulty settings, but ironically, even the hardest setting isn't as difficult as the Xbox version's only setting. That's almost a shame, since the Xbox version was a rewarding game to finish, but simply could have used an easy setting as an alternative."

Source: Gamespot Review - 2002

I do remember no patches, but I also remember glitches that weren't fied til a new cartridge was released. Slow down and fucked sprites were good memories. Blowing on cartridges or sticking them in the freezer. And dlc literally being charged at full price(hello sf2), and I loved every minutes of it. I also remember paying for cheats......game genie you beautiful bastard.
Well yeah true, that was also a thing. Forgot all about game shark and all that. I guess we had our moments too. But i hate paying for a full game, only to have a bunch of MTX, DLC that is included in the full game already, only to be unlocked with a key, etc.

Well yeah true, that was also a thing. Forgot all about game shark and all that. I guess we had our moments too. But i hate paying for a full game, only to have a bunch of MTX, DLC that is included in the full game already, only to be unlocked with a key, etc.
The only time I really hate mtx is when the grind is so long its an obvious ploy to test my patience, luckily I see through that noise. DLC is a non issue for me unless it's something egregious. Enter Capcom, the biggest culprit of the historical lengths some pubs will go through to wring every possible cent of customers. Asura's Wraith and SFxT being the chefs kiss of that bullshit. Things are a bit better nowadays with pubs at least trying to be subtle about the grift.
Q4Bngc9.gif

wvnative

I really enjoyed Dead to Rights back in the day. Great gunplay and tongue in cheek humor. The dog levels and dog attack, mini-games and the first person sniper helicopter level added some nice variety.

The Xbox was the best version back in the day and it had a great sense of accomplishment when completing the game, due to almost Ninja Gaiden like difficulty. The PS2 and GC versions were made easier (Ninja Dog mode 😜). The Xbox version also had Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound, while the PS2 and GC didn't. The Xbox version is also backwards compatible and can be played in 4k/60FPS on a One X and Series consoles.

"In a direct side-by-side comparison, all three versions of Dead to Rights look about the same, though the Xbox version is the clearest and sharpest, closely followed by the GameCube version."

"The PlayStation 2 and GameCube versions of Dead to Rights offer you a choice of three difficulty settings, but ironically, even the hardest setting isn't as difficult as the Xbox version's only setting. That's almost a shame, since the Xbox version was a rewarding game to finish, but simply could have used an easy setting as an alternative."

Source: Gamespot Review - 2002
Nah the difficulty was more BS than anything.

Romulus

Nah the difficulty was more BS than anything.

Is there another reason its bad though? The ps2 version looked pretty horrible in the side by side I watched. Gamecube seems most well rounded, not as good graphically as PC or Xbox, but better than ps2 for sure.

wvnative

Is there another reason its bad though? The ps2 version looked pretty horrible in the side by side I watched. Gamecube seems most well rounded, not as good graphically as PC or Xbox, but better than ps2 for sure.

It's been a long time so maybe I'm dreaming, but I also thought gamecube and PS2 had improved controls.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

0:00 Intro & Opening Remarks
02:44 The Premise
05:26 The Controls & Gameplay
08:52 The Gameplay Downgrades
11:58 Story & Writing
16:33 The Campaign Part 1
20:11 The Campaign Part 2
23:36 Closing Remarks

Top Bottom