• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GmanLives: Returning to Castle Wolfenstein - 20 Years Later

Von Hugh

Enemy Territory was so much fun. Community and culture that still apparently lives to this day, gameplay solid as it can get, maps to die for, addicting class system and progression, tinkering capabilities of the core game... I wish something new like it would come out nowadays.

Death Atlas

Neo Member
This game brings me the fondest memories I've ever had with an FPS. I can relate to just about everything that's being said in the video. The fantastic level design, the great soundtrack and the creepy ass crypt level.
I really do see it as one of the best shooters ever made and the tech it used was indeed second to none back then.

As annoying as the Loper can be, I still find it to have one of the greatest, most terrifying designs of any enemy that isn't a FromSoftware game.
zCm17qK.gif

Did I mention that the game also has one of the greatest flamethrowers of all time? The sheer range on that thing and the agonizing screams it causes. Perfection.

This game's praises can never be sung enough, it's an absolute masterpiece.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Feeling the urge to play this again, thanks.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean this is a "back in my day" sort of video, but I can't help feel that games very recently have gone in the complete wrong direction to chase after nothing but profit... its like if every film from every big name film house was trying to be a Marvel franchise movie.

I'm playing far more indie titles these days which more often than not give me the same feeling that these classic AAA titles from back in the day used to bring. Because it sure as hell from the big names anymore.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I mean this is a "back in my day" sort of video, but I can't help feel that games very recently have gone in the complete wrong direction to chase after nothing but profit... its like if every film from every big name film house was trying to be a Marvel franchise movie.

I'm playing far more indie titles these days which more often than not give me the same feeling that these classic AAA titles from back in the day used to bring. Because it sure as hell from the big names anymore.

There is just too much money to be made now, when big money is involved companies take less risk. Everything becomes safer, less controversial, more scrutinized. 15 years ago companies were making money but not like today.

We all wanted videogames to be accepted by the mainstream and now we have what we wished for ... and everything that goes with it.

winjer

Gold Member
This was and still is a great game. Much better than most FPS these days.
I played Wolfenstein Youngblood sometime ago, but it was a miserable experience. Such a terrible game.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Have any of you played the 2009 Wolfenstein game? IIRC it got a lot of shit back in the day, but lately everytime I see it mentioned it's being kinda praised.

Loke

Great game only let down by the annoying catacombs levels and shitty forced stealth sections.

Orta

Banned
Only replayed RTCW on my PC a few weeks ago. Was surprised by how enjoyable it was, simple as of course, a real throwback to better times before console-oriented bloated dross ruined the genre.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Have any of you played the 2009 Wolfenstein game? IIRC it got a lot of shit back in the day, but lately everytime I see it mentioned it's being kinda praised.

The reason for this is simple, its not a great game and was following one of the greatest FPS's of a generation with its name.

However recently with games like The New colossus and Young Bloods using the brand you can look at those games and then back at 2009 and think "oh hey its not that bad".

Its essentially like the Star Wars Prequels there all shit movies but because the Disney sequel trilogy came out, you can look at them and think "wow in comparison these are pretty good" its just how people work when presented with something worse they will start to compare things they thought where bad favorably.

Last edited:

Humdinger

I loved playing RTCW on XBL. It came out when XBL was maybe 6 months old. Everyone was excited and positive, happy to coordinate and communicate.

I thought the campaign was pretty good -- I'd give it an 8 -- but the multiplayer was the memory-maker, for me.

Death Atlas

Neo Member
It comes from gog so I know it'll work but are there any good mods for it? He mentioned one in the video.
RealRTCW. It keeps the original spirit while adding some nice bells and whistles. It's the way to play. Now enjoy yourself, you're in for one hell of a ride, I envy anyone being able to experience this for the first time.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I'm feeling crap for many reasons today and was gonna get Mario Odyssey back (original copy was stolen and I never bought it back yet) for some joyful fun but maybe RTCW is the ticket lol its not very jolly but it sure is pure fun and it only costs 3 quid instead of 36 for Mario.

Kuranghi

RealRTCW. It keeps the original spirit while adding some nice bells and whistles. It's the way to play. Now enjoy yourself, you're in for one hell of a ride, I envy anyone being able to experience this for the first time.

I just saw this while searching Steam for RTCW and thought I might try it, good shout. Can I ask about how the difficulty changes with the mod? I don't want it to be trivial but I'm a bit handicapped today so can't be really stressed out or have to wall peek every enemy to play it properly, what diff would you recommend that will give challenge but not frustrate me in this state?

Kuranghi

One of the first PC games I ever played, I was 12 or so. I still vividly remember it. Such a great game.

Me too pal, was 14/15 and I remember being stuck in that valley after you got the venom gun for hours haha. Soldier of Fortune was the previous year and this felt like a great step up in terms of faces and models. I also loved eating all the food everywhere, including the dogs dinner in the bowls :messenger_tears_of_joy: BJ would've been a fat motherfucker if he didn't run around at 60mph killing nazzies all day.

Last edited:

Death Atlas

Neo Member
I just saw this while searching Steam for RTCW and thought I might try it, good shout. Can I ask about how the difficulty changes with the mod? I don't want it to be trivial but I'm a bit handicapped today so can't be really stressed out or have to wall peek every enemy to play it properly, what diff would you recommend that will give challenge but not frustrate me in this state?
The game is quite punishing as it is, but I don't recall the enemies being smarter than usual in the mod. You're also able to quick save as much as you want. There are multiple difficulties to choose from, so you're not forced into playing Death Incarnate. You should be just fine.

Top Bottom