• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GmanLives: The Infamous Daikatana Nintendo 64 Port

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

0:00 Intro & Opening Remarks
01:42 Nintendo 64 Port Premise
03:18 The Story & Gameplay
05:55 Visuals & Presentation
08:20 Episode 1
14:30 Episode 2
19:42 Episode 3
23:33 Episode 4
27:12 Multiplayer
28:40 Closing Remarks

Daikatana is a 2000 first-person shooter game developed by Ion Storm. It was published by Eidos Interactive for Microsoft Windows and Kemco for Nintendo 64. Players control a swordsmaster who travels through various time periods in an effort to obtain the eponymous Daikatana, a powerful sword tied to the fate of the world.

Daikatana was directed by Ion Storm co-founder John Romero, a co-developer of the influential first-person shooters Wolfenstein 3D (1992), Doom (1993), and Quake (1996). Announced in 1997 as Romero's first game after leaving id Software, it underwent a troubled development that saw a change in its engine, release date delays, and the departure of several staff members. The protracted development, combined with promotion that focused on Romero's involvement over the game itself, resulted in negative publicity for Daikatana prior to its release.

Released in May 2000, Daikatana received mostly negative reviews for its outdated graphics, gameplay, repetitive sound effects, and poor artificial intelligence. It also sold only 40,351 copies, becoming one of the biggest major commercial failures of the video game industry. Due to the negative response, a separate version for the Game Boy Color did not receive North American distribution; it was released in Europe and Japan to a more positive reception.

I don't understand the complaint about the controls with movement being mapped to the C buttons, especially when you compare it to Turok with the latter being mentioned positively. It's literally the same controls.

ManaByte

Gold Member
TQ5csOFS0fFjKZQc2qvCEv-vJIDQhAT1KpoDSIfNNw4.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's very weird that they took out being able to use the Daikatana except in one specific scenario. Like, that's the weapon the entire game is about.

JCK75

I remember playing the multiplayer demo and loving it and telling my friend it was going to be so awesome.. only to find the single player was a complete piece of garbage

Drew1440

I remember the loading screen on the PC version making an uncomfortable high pitched sound that was in sync with the loading bar. Considering how often the game had to load between different areas and how slow it was, I gave up on it.

Last edited:

gundalf

I remember the loading screen on the PC version making an uncomfortable high pitched sound that was in sync with the loading bar. Considering how often the game had to load between different areas and how slow it was, I gave up on it.

Lol I remember having the same issue with my WinXP machine back in the day on many games, I think moving the mouse also changed the pitch :p

Top Bottom