• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GN24: Half-Life 3 was in development until 2015, but Valve was invested in VR.

badblue

So it looks like that Valve was working on HL, but changed plans and cancelled it because the leadership decided to take a bet on VR.
Robot Wtf GIF

th4tguy

What is the incentive to making and releasing Half Life 3 as a traditional (and maybe even non traditional) AAA release?
What value does it offer Valve? They make more money than they know what to do with from Steam. It wouldn’t truly matter even if the game sold gangbusters compared to normal Steam income.
The good will of it? They aren’t bringing anyone new (in any meaningful numbers) to the platform. Steam store pretty much has a monopoly on pc gaming.

Now what do they stand to lose if they release it and it doesn’t live up to the hype or if it’s straight up bad?

Half Life 3 is never going to come out and sadly that’s the smart choice by Valve as a company.

CGNoire

Steam is the best thing ever happening to PC, so no.

We dont know how much they have actually invested in VR.

They have made their own headset, which means they have wasted alot of money and time in it, and if they already back then wanted to focus on a Half Life 3 in VR, then the focus has been there instead of just making a traditional game.

We are so many years into the VR adventure and the only thing mentioned as being a VR seller is HL Alyx, which Valve has made.

The rest of the VR games are mediocre bargain bin material.
I dont know I sure remember PC gaming being fucking awesome long long before steam?

Kataploom

Gold Member
Then good that VR market is finally being understood, those lost big players that started betting too much on it can go back to core gaming, maybe leaving VR as a side thing as RE and GT games do is their best bet.

I'd fear a world where Meta becomes an actual gaming leader... Actually, they must be the reason why VR never took off lol.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Dang, maybe someone else at valve will pick it back up.
It's been picked up and put down so many times, including after Alyx, but each time it's more or less a new thing. I'd say it stands more of a chance now that they have a more mature engine and tools to work with, but if it happens it won't resemble past attempts.

I wouldn't put much stock in the article, it seems like an extremely loose/jumbled interpretation of a youtube video, and based on the distinctly terrible writing and poor informational literacy, I'm guessing it was written by Eddie-Griffin Eddie-Griffin himself. Valve has never had "higher ups" that tell people what to work on. That isn't what the source claims, and it just didn't happen like that.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
ppl need to stop pretending they care about the half life lore. Half life is 1000% about cutting age gameplay in a cool and immersive environment. HL alyx on the index is literally cutting edge and the pinnacle of video games, just like HL and HL2 were at release, and somehow people are still crying about valve when they are the only developer as far as I'm concerned pushing the medium while everyone is just rehashing the same garbage over and over and getting praised for it, see: elden ring and god of war 2. If it got canned it's because it did not meet their standard of quality, stop crying

Last edited:

Ristifer

ppl need to stop pretending they care about the half life lore. Half life is 1000% about cutting age gameplay in a cool and immersive environment. HL alyx on the index is literally cutting edge and the pinnacle of video games, just like HL and HL2 were at release, and somehow people are still crying about valve when they are the only developer as far as I'm concerned pushing the medium while everyone is just rehashing the same garbage over and over and getting praised for it, see: elden ring and god of war 2. If it got canned it's because it did not meet their standard of quality, stop crying
That's a nice bunch of bull you just typed. Even Valve cared about the lore. Otherwise, they wouldn't have gone episodic after Half-Life 2's release. The whole point was to carry the narrative to that story's conclusion with more episodic content, so as to not make the players wait years and years on end. And yet, here we are.

Telling people to "stop crying" when Valve was planning on actually doing the conclusion to begin with is a lame attempt at looking down on fans of the games. It doesn't have to be black and white. They can still push the medium and conclude the story. The notion that they have to make a choice on one of them is beyond ridiculous.

It's been picked up and put down so many times, including after Alyx, but each time it's more or less a new thing. I'd say it stands more of a chance now that they have a more mature engine and tools to work with, but if it happens it won't resemble past attempts.

I wouldn't put much stock in the article, it seems like an extremely loose/jumbled interpretation of a youtube video, and based on the distinctly terrible writing and poor informational literacy, I'm guessing it was written by Eddie-Griffin Eddie-Griffin himself. Valve has never had "higher ups" that tell people what to work on. That isn't what the source claims, and it just didn't happen like that.

Guys too slow to see the article is quoting a person who didn't even write it.

Wonko_C

If Alyx is HL3, why Alyx is not HL3? In name at least ;)
It's not unheard of established game series to lose the number after a few installments. HL4 will be titled: Half-Life: Freeman. I am calling it now. Hehe.

Then good that VR market is finally being understood, those lost big players that started betting too much on it can go back to core gaming, maybe leaving VR as a side thing as RE and GT games do is their best bet.

I'd fear a world where Meta becomes an actual gaming leader... Actually, they must be the reason why VR never took off lol.
I was ecstatic to see Quest 2 outselling the Xbox Series, it was going to become the 4th console pillar next to it, PS4 and Nintendo Switch. Then their "metaverse" focus happened, they're killing Echo VR among other things, and now I hate that they are single-handedly kind of killing VR, or at least souring its reputation more than it already is.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's not unheard of established game series to lose the number after a few installments. HL4 will be titled: Half-Life: Freeman. I am calling it now. Hehe.

I was ecstatic to see Quest 2 outselling the Xbox Series, it was going to become the 4th console pillar next to it, PS4 and Nintendo Switch. Then their "metaverse" focus happened, they're killing Echo VR among other things, and now I hate that they are single-handedly kind of killing VR, or at least souring its reputation more than it already is.
Well, IDK what has Meta done in VR space but the fact that they are too involved in devices with multiple cameras that constantly scan the house/room doesn't bring much confidence, it just feels uncomfortable...

Top Bottom