• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Has peak of 73k on Steam, overtakes MHR for #1 weekly sales spot

Mattyp

Gold Member
Nice! If it doesnt sell well They won't port more games to PC

The game cracked this fast, Sony put in all that hard work to see their game pirated on PC.

Sony should just focus on PlayStation and stop wasting time with these PC players.

FJF7fW6X0AMwjar

Already downloaded, will play tonight :messenger_ok:

reksveks

Bet you just as many people have downloaded this game from torrents as purchased on Steam.

Sony should realise releasing single player games on PC without DRM is pointless.
Maybe but stop using bad comparisons, it is just FUD.

I am okay with 'reasonable' DRM but also believe that most consumers don't engage in piracy since the rise of platform like Steam.

Kagey K

Banned
Bet you just as many people have downloaded this game from torrents as purchased on Steam.

Sony should realise releasing single player games on PC without DRM is pointless.
Shitheads are always going to be shitheads.

You can ruin all games because a subset of gamers are fucktards.

Last edited:

tmlDan

And Halo Infinite got 185k.

To be honest i am not to surprised, Everyone who wanted to play GoW has probably already played it. Old ports never do as well as there initial launch, I bet if it launched on PC the same time as PS4 it would be 100k+

I know the MCC were remasters of old games too, so all I can think of is that PC players are not as fussed about GoW. I always thought the game was a bit overrated.
Shooters are made for PC, Halo infinite is now so low and only peaks at 39K (right now it's at a lowly 23K) and it has MP (MC collection did as well)

GoW is not overrated unless you like shallow games with no soul.

This is normal for an old single player game, plus i always find that adventure games are meant for a controller and i still find using a controller on PC to be a pain in the arse.

I mostly prefer my indie, MMO, Strategy, and shooters on PC

Kagey K

Banned
Shooters are made for PC, Halo infinite is now so low and only peaks at 39K (right now it's at a lowly 23K) and it has MP (MC collection did as well)

This is normal for an old single player game, plus i always find that adventure games are meant for a controller and i still find using a controller on PC to be a pain in the arse.

That looks like a lot of excuses.

If a game is good people will buy it, if it's not they won't.

No need for all that extra nonsense.

That number is irrelevant. I think Sony can sell 1-2 million copies and that's still good and easy money if they sell it for 20 bucks on average.

Last edited:

tmlDan

You don't give any reasons, you're just saying "excuses".

Why don't you come up with some logical reasoning other than you think nobody gives af about GoW.

I thought forums were about discussion not blank statements.

Alphagear

It really shows that outside of being a "Playstation exclusive" people don't really give a fuck.

And a tight slap on Sonys face.

All their big titles on PC have sold average so far.

Days gone and HZD barely touched a million.

Single player without DRM doesn't help.

I am all in favour of PS exclusives releasing on PC but this notion that the PC market is a cash cow for Sony is a myth.

People are even talking Day 1 releases too. Release these single player Day 1 without DRM and you will probably get PS console gamers joining the bandwagon for free pirate games on PC.

Kagey K

Banned
You don't give any reasons, you're just saying "excuses".

Why don't you come up with some logical reasoning other than you think nobody gives af about GoW.

I thought forums were about discussion not blank statements.
People didn't buy it because they don't care about it... At least not at full price.

SEE.... Simple solution, no excuses.

Last edited:
People didn't buy it because they don't care about it... At least not at full price.

SEE.... Simple solution, no excuses.
It's the marketing. People underestimate the huge impact it has on sales. There is a reason why Sony spends extremely huge amounts of money for it. I would even say the big AAAs wouldn't have half the sales on consoles without it and there is no marketing for pc ports. Also the games are old and demanding. Not everybody (except all PS owners :messenger_winking:) have beefy machines to play those games.

Alphagear

Sony still made more money by releasing it on PC than if they didn't release it on PC did they not?

The negatives outweigh the positives.

To collect some crumbs from the PC market they will lose alot more if PS gamers shift to PC.

Why buy a PS5 and 70 dollar games when you can buy a PC and play the game for free in a couple of years.

There's even talk of simultaneous Day 1 releases.

Good luck Sony.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It's the marketing. People underestimate the huge impact it has on sales. There is a reason why Sony spends extremely huge amounts of money for it. I would even say the big AAAs wouldn't have half the sales on consoles without it and there is no marketing for pc ports. Also the games are old and demanding. Not everybody (except all PS owners :messenger_winking:) have beefy machines to play those games.
While I agree marketing does have a huge influence over people, I don't think that's the underlying factor here.

Halo MCC and Sea of Thieves released to very little fanfare and decimated these numbers. In fact every time a new Sea of Thieves expansion comes out they crush this, and that game has a very low MC score.

There has to be something more.

sol_bad

The negatives outweigh the positives.

To collect some crumbs from the PC market they will lose alot more if PS gamers shift to PC.

Why buy a PS5 and 70 dollar games when you can buy a PC and play the game for free in a couple of years.

There's even talk of simultaneous Day 1 releases.

Good luck Sony.

You get the game on Playstation years in advance. I see no talk about day and date releases, unless you mean talk on forums?

GrayChild

Gold Member
A quote from a market analyst:

6hjpDW8.png

Taking in consideration the fact that Horizon Zero Dawn already has something like 300% ROI by now, these numbers are very good.

XfyTD5V.png

The game is also the best selling title on Steam for almost 3 days in a row:

rN54z0p.png

The number of people playing it at the moment is completely irrelevant. The PC version of (almost) every first party Playstation exclusive is a matter of when, not if.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Its overrated because its flaws, dont warrant such a high metacritic, its still a v.good game though. But this is entirely a matter of opinion. Infinite is about 35-40k at peak times, so its not low like u say. Unless you're going to have double standards and say GOW aint low but infinite is.

Kagey K

Banned
for this low number, why do they even bother? they lower the exclusivity value of their franchise and console for chump change like this?!?!

doesn't make sense......
If they paid the contractors low enough for the last 2 years they still made money.

Don't think they are losing money on this.

Wow, that's really low. So they mismanaged their highly successfull God of War IP (the second game will probably sell only half of what the first sold because people will know they will be able to buy a better cheaper version on PC) in order to sell 50k games on PC?

50k brings them not even 2 million $ (30% steam cut). Barely enough to cover the PC port (2 years of dev). Ambitious strategy Jimbo. Remind me how much money PS does those current days on Playstation systems alone?

reksveks

Wow, that's really low. So they mismanaged their highly successfull God of War IP (the second game will probably sell only half of what the first sold because people will know they will be able to buy a better cheaper version on PC) in order to sell 50k games on PC?

50k brings them not even 2 million $ (30% steam cut). Barely enough to cover the PC port (2 years of dev). Ambitious strategy Jimbo. Remind me how much money PS does those current days on Playstation systems alone?
The maths on this forum is getting worse by the week

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned

It will never not be funny to me that Playstation fans insist people are missing out on these exclusives, only to be met with a collective shrug.

Vagswarm

49,411 is solid.

But let's not forgot the Epic Games Store players, which brings it to 49,417. Pretty good.
That's hilarious, but I bet Epic is much bigger than people think. A lot of people probably just don't admit to using it because it's shunned by the majority, lol.

Last edited:
If they paid the contractors low enough for the last 2 years they still made money.

Don't think they are losing money on this.

I'm pretty sure it will make them at least 30m on pc and that's no chump change.

You guys don’t get it, ‘EXCLUSIVE’ label is far more valuable than chump change 30-50 millions (I highly doubt it even got near to 30 millions) …exclusive games sell consoles

In the future people will think why even bother buying PS5 when eventually it’s exclusives will come to PC, better version and cheaper

Last edited:
for this low number, why do they even bother? they lower the exclusivity value of their franchise and console for chump change like this?!?!

doesn't make sense......
Exactly this. Short term they are going to win a few million. But that's peanuts. But what is sure is that they are lowering the value of their IP and console ecosystems. So long term they are going to lose billion on their console systems (services / games).

In the end if they continue with that strategy, they are going to become a new Ubisoft / EA company. We are already seeing that their next big games (GoW2, Horizon2) are become multiplat, meaning, no extensive use of the hardware like Demon's souls and Ratchet. People can already see those titles are inferior to those launch titles.

You guys don’t get it, ‘EXCLUSIVE’ label is far more valuable than chump change 30-50 millions…..exclusive games sell consoles

In the future people will think why even bother buying PS5 when eventually it’s exclusives will come to PC, better version and cheaper
Sony doesn't give a shit about pc gamers that only get a PS5 for some excslusives (worst case used discs), especially now where the consoles are rare. They want people that buy 3rd party games and subscriptions. Pc gamers don't make them money so they will keep them at the pc and make some money with them and it makes the brand even more famous.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
That's hilarious, but I bet Epic is much bigger than people think. A lot of people probably just don't admit to using it because it's shunned by the majority, lol.
I think the real numbers from the Apple vs Epic case came out. It showed that it was mostly people taking free games, and fortnite of course.

Kagey K

Banned
YouYou guys don’t get it, ‘EXCLUSIVE’ label is far more valuable than chump change 30-50 millions…..exclusive games sell consoles

You almost got me you mutha.

I See You Soccer GIF by UEFA

I see you now.

Vagswarm

I think the real numbers from the Apple vs Epic case came out. It showed that it was mostly people taking free games, and fortnite of course.
Ah, I paid no attention to that. What about holiday sales? They offer a discount as an incentive.

*It just feels like people make things out to be a lot worse than they really are, with everything really. A game debuting at #1 on the biggest service is a disappointment? WTF?

Last edited:

You didn't need to buy anything to play Halo Infinite. And the idea that the sales of a product are the sole result of its quality Is the real nonsense.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
You didn't need to buy anything to play Halo Infinite. And the idea that the sales of a product are the sole result of its qualità Is the real nonsense.
I said Halo MCC collection, not infinite.

Which released in parts on PC, and only the basic first part still crushed it.

As far as quality goes, you are starting to argue against yourself.

You are either suggesting PC people like shitty games* or suggesting the game is shit.

I don't really think you want to go down that road.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Seems decent to me. I don’t really get why people use this metric on singleplayer titles/titles that don’t include a multiplayer mode, seems like more of a multiplayer metric. But maybe I’m wrong.

How do you even get the torrent number?

Unless you engage in pirating yourself?
It’s pretty easy to check torrents. Obviously Im not going to give links for proof. But it’s already out there, for example.

Games > PC God_of_War_Day_1_Update-FLT 2022-01-14 1.52 GiB
Games > PC God of War-FLT.crack only 2022-01-14 30.40 MiB
Games > PC God of War-FLT 2022-01-14 VIP 38.63 GiB
Games > PC God_of_War-FLT 2022-01-14 38.63 GiB 88

I don’t even play games on PC. Im happy to give Sony 70$ day one. They are the only reason why I waste my time playing games. I wonder if this is even worth it for Sony. Since they make single player games. They already have to deal with the disc leeches.

That being said I won‘t touch Dreams if they don‘t port it on PC or Mobile.

Kagey K

Banned
Seems decent to me. I don’t really get why people use this metric on singleplayer titles/titles that don’t include a multiplayer mode, seems like more of a multiplayer metric. But maybe I’m wrong.
Do they log into different servers if it's single player?

Or is this the best way of estimating Steam sales we have?

Last edited:

Midn1ght

Wow, that's really low. 50k games on PC?

50k brings them not even 2 million $ (30% steam cut). Barely enough to cover the PC port (2 years of dev).
Current Players vs Total Sold is conveniently hard to understand all of a sudden. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

A quote from a market analyst:

6hjpDW8.png
Horizon sold 700.000 copies during launch. If GOW blew the final pre-launch numbers, it's fair to assume they probably sold close to or even over 1 million copies.

Last edited:
I said Halo MCC collection, not infinite.

Which released in parts on PC, and only the basic first part still crushed it.

As far as quality goes, you are starting to argue against yourself.

You are either suggesting PC people like shitty games* or suggesting the game is shit.

I don't really think you want to go down that road.
Your quote was in direct reply to a user who was talking about the numbers of Infinite. And I'm not suggesting anything that you say, I' m clearly say that sales depends from multiple factors and quality is not necessarily the biggest determinator

Last edited:
Top Bottom