• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Has peak of 73k on Steam, overtakes MHR for #1 weekly sales spot

CutePoP

Banned
for this low number, why do they even bother? they lower the exclusivity value of their franchise and console for chump change like this?!?!

doesn't make sense......
Wow, that's really low. So they mismanaged their highly successfull God of War IP (the second game will probably sell only half of what the first sold because people will know they will be able to buy a better cheaper version on PC) in order to sell 50k games on PC?

50k brings them not even 2 million $ (30% steam cut). Barely enough to cover the PC port (2 years of dev). Ambitious strategy Jimbo. Remind me how much money PS does those current days on Playstation systems alone?

So Sony is telling me to not buy PS5. I should consider my purchase at this time. PC community are going to meet God of War for the first time and they are getting Deluxe Edition version with bunch of upgrade, I mean best version and it’s 49.99 on where Steam takes 30% cut while Sony charging us buying Director’s Cut's for the get native PS5 version.

It feels like we’re being bullied by Sony as PlayStation fans. We gotta constantly beg for upgrades. All we get is a 60fps patch if we’re lucky. Not to mention that we have to pay more for games. They gotta take our money like the bullies they are. It’s like they are dangling better quality games just out of our reach and passing them to PC gamers just to be mean. They are completely screwing us over this generation.

We gotta wait and wait to hopefully get something small like folders on our console while Sony is doing so much for PC gamers. It’s sad really. It sucks how we’re being left out.

Worst PlayStation management i ever seen since the 1996. I wasn’t being negative even the beginning of the PS3 era. You are making move away your true fans. This new Weirdo leadership at Sony Jim Ryan and Herman Hulst Shawn Layden is destroying the Playstation platform.

This is what happens when you put an American guy to rule a Japanese company .

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It’s pretty easy to check torrents. Obviously Im not going to give links for proof. But it’s already out there, for example.

Games > PC God_of_War_Day_1_Update-FLT 2022-01-14 1.52 GiB
Games > PC God of War-FLT.crack only 2022-01-14 30.40 MiB
Games > PC God of War-FLT 2022-01-14 VIP 38.63 GiB
Games > PC God_of_War-FLT 2022-01-14 38.63 GiB 88

I don’t even play games on PC. Im happy to give Sony 70$ day one. They are the only reason why I waste my time playing games. I wonder if this is even worth it for Sony. Since they make single player games. They already have to deal with the disc leeches.

That being said I won‘t touch Dreams if they don‘t port it on PC or Mobile.
I'm going to take your word for it, because I don't PC unless I'm at work, and I don't really give a fuck either way.

The number of people playing it at the moment is completely irrelevant. The PC version of (almost) every first party Playstation exclusive is a matter of when, not if.
Idk why they wouldnt use the fact they developing for PC to update the PS4 versions for PS5. Release Bloodborne on PC and PS5, so everyone stops mentioning 30fps.

Kagey K

Banned
Your quote was in direct reply to a user who was talking about the numbers of Infinite. And I'm not suggesting anything that you say, I' m clearly say that sales depends from multiple factors and quality is not necessarily the biggest determinator
I think you got me mixed up in there somewhere.

If I wasn't talking about Infinite, don't make it seem like I was.

Quote the person you meant to instead.

Robb

Gold Member
Do they log into different servers if it's single player?
I guess not. I can only speak for myself, but I don’t always play a singleplayer game I’ve bought immediately. There’s no rush.

For multiplayer games there’s always incentive to jump in immediately and start grinding.

Gargauth

Sony doesn't give a shit about pc gamers that only get a PS5 for some excslusives (worst case used discs), especially now where the consoles are rare. They want people that buy 3rd party games and subscriptions. Pc gamers don't make them money so they will keep them at the pc and make some money with them and it makes the brand even more famous.
Exactly right...I have all PC, XSX and PS5 and only games I am buying on PS5 are exclusives. If they start releasing games on PC closer to PS5 dates, I'd just sell PS5 and keep buying games on PC and Xbox, where I prefer.

Your quote was in direct reply to a user who was talking about the numbers of Infinite. And I'm not suggesting anything that you say, I' m clearly say that sales depends from multiple factors and quality is not necessarily the biggest determinator
What did you do with that quote? I didn't say that.

I'm going to take your word for it, because I don't PC unless I'm at work, and I don't really give a fuck either way.
The only gaming my gaming PC gets is for Stardew Vallely, cause they didnt add mulitplayer on my iPhone. She wont play anything else.

Otherwise its for whatever my iPad Pro can handle. But if Sony were to release games day one on PC, I dont see why I would buy a PS6.

Chukhopops

People looking for excuses but this isn’t a bad number for a full price port of a +/-4 year old console game. Plus most PC games have very long tails.

It was never going to beat MHR which comes after the huge success of MHW on PC.

Ozriel

M$FT
Bet you just as many people have downloaded this game from torrents as purchased on Steam.

Sony should realise releasing single player games on PC without DRM is pointless.

They don’t release these games day and date. God of war is free on Plus and sells for like $10 these days on PlayStation. Sales have slowed to a trickle.

Releasing a PC port that cost them only a few million dollars is fucking brilliant. Even if they sell 2 million units, the profit margin is insane. Plus, they could potentially pull in more customers for their consoles with the sequel on the horizon.

Nah, this PC port is brilliant strategizing, and it’s strange it took them this long

reksveks

People looking for excuses but this isn’t a bad number for a full price port of a +/-4 year old console game. Plus most PC games have very long tails.

It was never going to beat MHR which comes after the huge success of MHW on PC.
I wish there was a way to do time aligned graphs but i think it's generally reasonable. I would like to see how/what it does in comparison to H:ZD.

I do wonder if and how they are going to test if launch day and date on single player games in terms of commercial performance.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I've never played a God of War game before. What's it like? Is it kinda like the Batman Arkham games? Is it open world? Does it have RPG elements? What's the game most like it?

Sorry for all the questions :p
I only played the first game. You mash the attack button, and sometimes you mash it really fast.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am looking through steamdb and 50k is not great.
Dark Souls 3 had 130k peak ad god 18k daily still.
Guardians of the galaxy is barely played anymore
Horizon and Days gone have decent daily 2-3k players.

Generally the numbers are extremely low. I found that there are only 1-2 players playing one of my fav games daily... Fuel. lol

Mowcno

People wanted 300k peak players for God of War??? GTA V peak is 175k on steam lol.

God of War is currently the best selling game on steam, it's peak will likely be higher today than yesterday. It's a good result for a port of a 4 year old game many have already played and will be a multi-million seller on PC.

OZ9000

Banned
I am looking through steamdb and 50k is not great.
Dark Souls 3 had 130k peak ad god 18k daily still.
Guardians of the galaxy is barely played anymore
Horizon and Days gone have decent daily 2-3k players.

Generally the numbers are extremely low. I found that there are only 1-2 players playing one of my fav games daily... Fuel. lol
Doesn't help now that GOW is available to torrent.

Sony should have released GOW at a cheaper price to entice PC gamers.

There are some good prices on 3rd party websites however.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Doesn't help now that GOW is available to torrent.

Sony should have released GOW at a cheaper price to entice PC gamers.

There are some good prices on 3rd party websites however.
Looking at torrent sites.
I've found 200 downloads on one and about 20k on another lol.
I've not pirated a game for solid 10 years but I still know where to look... Anyway - I never believed that it's all pirate=lost sales. Probably like 10-20% of these people would buy if pirated version was not available. Others are just kids who don't buy games anyway.

PlayStation games don’t seem to have much last appeal with PC gamers. This is an interesting turn of events.

But I’ll wait to see how their titles do once they begin to release in closer lockstep with the PS versions.

Also you can’t price gouge PC players.

JCK75

I had to add steam to Windows security exceptions list for the first time ever trying to install this game, it just sat on verifying for liking an hour. This happened both at work and at home and it wasn't till I got home that I found a solution. I have to wonder how any other people are running Windows 10 and 11 and had the same issue which is why not many people played it last night. Like I downloaded it first thing in the morning at work yesterday and wasn't able to play until it was time for me to go home.

Guilty_AI

lol at the people crying about piracy, don't know if they still actually believe that narrative or they just want to find some excuse.

You're deluding yourself if you think a 4 year old full priced single player game will be doing day 1 Fallout 4 numbers. In fact, its already doing pretty well for what it is.

Last edited:

JackSparr0w

Banned
lol at the people crying about piracy, don't know if they still actually believe that narrative or they just want to find some excuse.

You're deluding yourself if you think a 4 year old full priced single player game will be doing day 1 Fallout 4 numbers. In fact, its already doing pretty well for what it is.
Halo master chief was 6 years old and did triple the amount at 161k. Yes you laugh at the piracy narrative which is indeed rubbish but you follow another equally rubbish narrative.

PC gamers in general just don't care about Sony blockbusters and for some people it's a really hard concept to grasp.

Last edited:
It should get to 60k or even higher today easily, already at 48k, quite safe to say it'll surpass Horizon's numbers, and it should be at 1 million sales by the end of the day or tomorrow most likely and maybe near 3M lifetime sales.

Pretty decent numbers for a game that was released in 2018, it's been 4 years and it's not like it was released for 29€. Can see GoW:Ragnarok releasing 1 to 2 years after PS5 on PC and nearly doubling the first game's numbers.

They'll never be as strong as MS is unless they manage to get some super hit on one of thieir upcoming online games, after all, what are the favourite offline PC genres? Shooters (FPS) and RPG (the real, western ones), and who's king on these two?

But it's free money Sony's making there, they just started to join PC market and are already selling millions on some old games, if they start releasing, lets say, next Horizon on 2023 on PC, the growth will be big.

OZ9000

Banned
Looking at torrent sites.
I've found 200 downloads on one and about 20k on another lol.
I've not pirated a game for solid 10 years but I still know where to look... Anyway - I never believed that it's all pirate=lost sales. Probably like 10-20% of these people would buy if pirated version was not available. Others are just kids who don't buy games anyway.
Yeah I think most people who download would not have purchased the game in the first place. Besides it looks like Horizon, Days gone etc were cracked quickly and they still sold well enough on PC.

Either way, I think any console title which releases on the PC years later should be 30 bucks max.

Last edited:

Edgelord79

Gold Member
You need to be careful equating concurrent players lists with sales, especially for a single player game. It is lower than expected, but that is irrelevant to Sony of it sold well. Seeing a lot of assumptions.

Time will tell.

Guilty_AI

Halo master chief was 6 years old and did triple the amount at 161k. Yes you laugh at the piracy narrative which is indeed rubbish but you follow another equally rubbish narrative.
Except you're talking about THE Halo that also happens to be a highly popular multiplayer game.

PC gamers in general just don't care about Sony blockbusters and for some people it's a really hard concept to grasp.
I do agree with this. I'd say a lot of the PC players are mostly interested in their graphics. At least i myself never saw them as anything too special, just typical AAA SP game made for large appeal with cool cinematic visuals, flattened and simplified mechanics and marvel-like storylines for the masses.

Last edited:

Holammer

49k is good?
Could be better, it's alright for a game without multiplayer component.
If you are invested in how well the game fares? The real test now is to remain on Global Top Sellers as long as possible and get a six digit user score. 20k+ is bare minimum (5.4k right now).

On a personal note, I reckon they should have started with GoW Saga at 29,99 instead. Give PC players some time to digest it and get invested in the universe and Kratos as a character, then release this one. Same goes for the madness of skipping the Uncharted Trilogy and jumping straight to 4 and that spinoff game instead.

YuLY

You need to be careful equating concurrent players lists with sales, especially for a single player game. It is lower than expected, but that is irrelevant to Sony of it sold well. Seeing a lot of assumptions.

Time will tell.
I've been following this type of stuff since steamspy first appeared, trust me, I know how to take these things.
Usually concurrent nr. needs to be multiplied by at least x10 to get a close number, its safe to say it sold more than half a million in less than a day. I'm certain of it, people can believe it or not of course.

People really think those who pirate games are willing to buy them if there was a Denuvo or other protection?
Nah, they would have waited until it's cracked.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
I've been following this type of stuff since steamspy first appeared, trust me, I know how to take these things.
Usually concurrent nr. needs to be multiplied by at least x10 to get a close number, its safe to say it sold more than half a million in less than a day. I'm certain of it, people can believe it or not of course.
I don't disagree with that assessment.

If it sold half a million on day one of Steam, they would need another approx. 200,000 sales from Epic to even match Horizon Zero Dawn's day one PC sales.

That would be disappointing if it was well below. Especially, for a more known flagship franchise such as God of War.

Last edited:

Holammer

I think many people buy outside of Steam and there you get the game for 30 bucks.
You misunderstood. GoW Saga is the collection of previous games in the series.
I said they should have released it first cheaper to get people on board.

71VxHX+0L6L._AC_SL1135_.jpg

YuLY

Honestly I wonder how Uncharted 4 will fare considering PC players never got the chance to play 1-3, this is a really weird move by Sony. I personally know nothing about that universe, even if I'm hyped for getting the chance to try it (mainly pc gamer), so its a bit weird to start with 4.
The highest chance for a huge number of sales as in 4-5 mil will be with Bloodborne or Ghost of Tsushima, I think those are the most attractive for the pc gaming market right now.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Honestly I wonder how Uncharted 4 will fare considering PC players never got the chance to play 1-3, this is a really weird move by Sony. I personally know nothing about that universe, even if I'm hyped for getting the chance to try it (mainly pc gamer), so its a bit weird to start with 4.
The highest chance for a huge number of sales as in 4-5 mil will be with Bloodborne or Ghost of Tsushima, I think those are the most attractive for the pc gaming market right now.
Bloodborne and DeS would eclipse everything.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Ghosts of Tsushima will be a sales monster when they release that.

Top Bottom