• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Has peak of 73k on Steam, overtakes MHR for #1 weekly sales spot

nani17

are in a big trouble
Edit:
It now stands at 73k. This is only the Steam results and doesn't include Epic games store.

Screenshot-20220116-160107-Chrome.jpg

graph

dd.png

This is great to see. I'm glad to see people who haven't played it get a chance to play this amazing title. 49,411 playing on steam and we don't even have epic store numbers. This will hopefully make sony bring more of their other amazing titles to the PC like Ghost of Thusima.

I loved playing it on the ps5 and would double dip if it launched on the PC. Also, titles like bloodborne would be great to see.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
I've never played a God of War game before. What's it like? Is it kinda like the Batman Arkham games? Is it open world? Does it have RPG elements? What's the game most like it?

Sorry for all the questions :p

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hey that's a lot, might even beat the last fever of the month game, Project Zomboid.

Patrick S. Patrick S. this one is nothing like the other God of War games, which were basically greek DMC. This is a 3rd person action adventure game, with lots of combat and some light puzzles. No open world, thank God.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So it's kinda like the first two Batman Arkham games?
Now that I think of it... Maybe! Kinda like Batman Arkham Asylum, but less Metroid-like without all it's gadgets to unlock new areas.

It's a weird comparison I think. Take a look at any review, you'll get a better idea of what the game is about than whatever this ESL can came up with. :)

Yoboman

Now that I think of it... Maybe! Kinda like Batman Arkham Asylum, but less Metroid-like without all it's gadgets to unlock new areas.

It's a weird comparison I think. Take a look at any review, you'll get a better idea of what the game is about than whatever this ESL can came up with. :)
There are actually gadgets that unlock new areas and puzzles though

TintoConCasera

There are actually gadgets that unlock new areas and puzzles though
Like what? Could you put them on a spoiler? I beat the game back in it's day and legit can't remember any of those. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Guilty_AI

As said before, this one is quite different from old games.

Is it open world?
Sort of. Not Ubisoft sandbox open world, more a metroidvania-type of open world with interconnected linear segments with many that can be completed in different orders.

Does it have RPG elements?
Yes. Skill trees, leveling, level scaling (meant to say player gets stronger as he levels) and all that shit.

What's the game most like it?
Hard to say, I want to say its a bit like dark souls but the gameplay feels different and the levels aren't as complex.
Weirdly enough the game kinda plays like a 1st person melee game with kratos always facing forward from the camera.

Last edited:

Patrick S.

Banned
As said before, this one is quite different from old games.

Sort of. Not Ubisoft sandbox open world, more a metroidvania-type of open world with interconnected linear segments with many that can be completed in different orders.

Yes. Skill trees, leveling, level scaling and all that shit.

Hard to say, I want to say its a bit like dark souls but the gameplay feels different and the levels aren't as complex.
Weirdly enough the game kinda plays like a 1st person melee game with kratos always facing forward from the camera.
Thanks for the detailed answer :)

I don't really like brawler type games, but I'm watching the original ACG review right now and it does look really cool. I'll probably grab this.

Stuart360

No its actually pathetic.
Its not pathetic, its actuall pretty standard for a multiplatform level AAA game on Steam, and you will see that if you check throughout the year.
I have talked about this before, PC gamers are not living game release to game release. There are literally hundreds of games on Steam alone right now with multiple thousand gamers in game.
Half the people that bought this game wont even download and play it for a while as they are playing something else. Thats the way its always been on Steam.
Sure every so often you get these breakout hits like Vallheim, PUBG, etc, that brings in an unusual high percentage of gamers on Steam, but GOW is much closer to the norm than those games.

The only thing i would say is that GOW numbers are more like a Ubiosft level game, when they used to release games on Steam, and you would of expected a little better for something like GOW. Still it was never going to be in the hundreds of thousands, or even one hundred thousand.

In that 'Monster Hunter vs GOW, which will have the higher player count on launch day?' thread, i predicted 50-60k for GOW. People in that thread saying over 100k dont really know what they are talking about.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

300k I guess? It's the best game of last gen according to Playstation owners.
I think that's waaay too much. There's MH Rise and other popular games right now like Project Zomboid. Also, some PC players also have PS4s, so not everyone who likes the game might be interested in this port.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
It's a 4 year old single player game that was released on a console that sold nearly 120M worldwide and has sold around 20M copies...plus given away for free in both PlayStation subscription services . Not sure what you guys expected lmao.
What does that have to do with PC players that have never played it? That's who this is geared to.

Stuart360

Master Chief Collection got 160k. Age doesn’t really factor in IMO.
Master Chief collection was also a 6 game package, games that PC players had been asking for years for, and the package sold something like 1mil on launch day on Steam.

GOW, although a touch lower than i expected, is much closer to the norm.

Guilty_AI

you really think anywhere near 20k people bought this on EGS?

I would be shocked if 3,000 people did. Steam version is the same price or available on key sites for cheaper.
Well its hard to say, i don't know how popular EGS is when there are no exclusivity deals or discount cupoms involved. Don't think they'll tell us either.

Last edited:

Smether

I echo the sentiment this is pretty good for an older game and am happy more folks are getting to enjoy it. Personally it changed games for me, as after God of War 2018 I expect AAA games to be a bit deeper and more mature while still delivering on gameplay.

Top Bottom