• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Has peak of 73k on Steam, overtakes MHR for #1 weekly sales spot

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Man...

Who decided these sales estimations methods on these sites?

Horizon zD has 51k reviews on steam, why do these websites think 20-55x that number of people have brought the game?

Just as guess, I would think about 20% of owners would review, so that would mean 250,000 sales, meh, i dont care anymore. Pc players play GoW if u want, dont if u dont.

We're not talking about sales.

We're talking about concurrent users at any given time. Concurrent users are much, much lower than sales.

Last edited:

CutePoP

Banned
Nice! If it doesnt sell well They won't port more games to PC

The game cracked this fast, Sony put in all that hard work to see their game pirated on PC.

Sony should just focus on PlayStation and stop wasting time with these PC players.

FJF7fW6X0AMwjar

Last edited:

Midn1ght

Man...

Who decided these sales estimations methods on these sites?

Horizon zD has 51k reviews on steam, why do these websites think 20-55x that number of people have brought the game?

Just as guess, I would think about 20% of owners would review, so that would mean 250,000 sales, meh, i dont care anymore. Pc players play GoW if u want, dont if u dont.

Horizon sold over 700k during launch.
Wikipedia: In an effort to increase profitability, in 2020 Sony decided to begin porting their first-party titles to PC.[120] Horizon Zero Dawn released on PC on August 2020 and had a successful launch, moving over 700,000 digital copies
Source

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

The game cracked this fast, Sony put in all that hard work to see their game pirated on PC.

Sony should just focus on PlayStation and stop wasting time with these PC players.

FJF7fW6X0AMwjar

there's no DRM to crack

Lognor

Banned

FJF7fW6X0AMwjar
Sony needs to release a game that PC gamers actually care about. Where is Bloodborne?

Microsoft games are doing a lot better on Steam. Not sure what Sony is doing wrong!

But you won't get your wish. Sony will continue to port games to PC. You are just going to have to deal with it. Say bye to all your PS exclusives! ;)

Stuart360

FJF7fW6X0AMwjar
They probably spend like 1-2mil porting the games, if not less.
Even one of their games selling just 1mil on Steam will mean tens of millions of profit.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned

FJF7fW6X0AMwjar
my friend, that ship sailed long time ago.

Sony has 2 options.

A: Listen to idiots like you guys, and stop porting to pc. This would mean, Xbox/MS would dominate PC market.

B: Ignore you guys, and port their games to pc. This would ensure, that they have a space in the pc market. And make sure, Xbox doesnt gain the upper hand in that market.

I dont know, which options should Sony pick.

Ev1L AuRoN

Sony games don't really have DRM since they use the old beaten Steam DRM, so naturally a lot of people are just torrenting the game, I don't know if this is by design, if Sony wants to focus on getting money with these ports or they are just baits to bring some of the PC crowd to their consoles.

ACESHIGH

Banned
MS games for the most part are more gameplay based, community/MP based vs Sony's single player cinematic one and doners. Also the fact that they are released day one might help.

That's why MS dominates steam charts even when you can pirate the game or play on game pass dirt cheap when there's a sale of the subscription.

Stuart360

Sony games don't really have DRM since they use the old beaten Steam DRM, so naturally a lot of people are just torrenting the game, I don't know if this is by design, if Sony wants to focus on getting money with these ports or they are just baits to bring some of the PC crowd to their consoles.
Neither Sony or Microsoft have DRM in their PC games. Big corps take into account piracy when setting budgets and targets etc, regardless of what they say publicly.
In fact with how hated Denuvo is with PC gamers, they have a chance to sell just as well as if they had used Denuvo. Some of the biggest selling Steam games of all time have had zero DRM.

CutePoP

Banned
my friend, that ship sailed long time ago.

Sony has 2 options.

A: Listen to idiots like you guys, and stop porting to pc. This would mean, Xbox/MS would dominate PC market.

B: Ignore you guys, and port their games to pc. This would ensure, that they have a space in the pc market. And make sure, Xbox doesnt gain the upper hand in that market.

I dont know, which options should Sony pick.

Lulz

Kingfey aka Gameplaylover Gameplaylover , theodor (gamepro.de)

Xbox Fans hoping that Sony releases more PC ports so they can feel better about the fact that Xbox has no true exclusives anymore. :LOL:

kingfey

Banned
Neither Sony or Microsoft have DRM in their PC games. Big corps take into account piracy when setting budgets and targets etc, regardless of what they say publicly.
In fact with how hated Denuvo is with PC gamers, they have a chance to sell just as well as if they had used Denuvo. Some of the biggest selling Steam games of all time have had zero DRM.
Piracy allows people to buy the actual game. I was one of them before, and now I own all splinter cell games.

The problem is, there is no demo for the game these days. And we cant fork 60$ for these games. Its a risk for pc community. Not to mention, the regional price is fucked up.

kingfey

Banned
Lulz

Xbox Fans hoping that Sony releases more PC ports so they can feel better about the fact that Xbox has no true exclusives anymore. :LOL:
I dont know what you smoking here dude.

Dont try to bring console wars here. We are having civil discussion.

And lastly, I am a pc gamer. I dont care what plastic box you guys fight for.

Stuart360

Piracy allows people to buy the actual game. I was one of them before, and now I own all splinter cell games.

The problem is, there is no demo for the game these days. And we cant fork 60$ for these games. Its a risk for pc community. Not to mention, the regional price is fucked up.
No you're right, i actually know quite a lot of people that use piracy as game demo's, and if they like the game they will buy it.
People always say thats lies but it really isnt, especially when you can download a AAA level game in less than an hour for a lot of people.

Pejo

Peak players != sales. It's a good metric to see trends and stuff, but its hard to take in account anybody that prepurchased, bought and didn't install or play right away, etc etc. For a years late port of a single player story driven game, it's performing pretty well by that metric.

Peak for similar games like Tomb Raider (2013) was nearly 90k, so it's well below that for now.

Shifty1897

That number will go up as word for mouth travels. My friend didn't know it came out today and he went and bought it as soon as I told him a few minutes ago.

Osaka_Boss

Halo had its peak, during night time in the US. It was 256k during night time. When it got released, it was around 50k,, and climbing.
Halo is massively popular in the US, so this reasoning cannot be applied to a more wider popular brand like gow. It just doesn't correlate

Osaka_Boss

Holy cow. Monster Hunter Rise is more than double that! I guess that answers that question as to which game would perform better on PC!
Multiplayer games (like Monster Hunter, Halo Infinite, Rainbow Six, dota...) and overhyped/traditional PC games (like cyberpunk, elder scrolls and fallout) always accumulate bigger numbers of players and engagement because of the nature of the platform. How doesn't reach the same engagement, neither does most AAA single player games normally.

Vagswarm

If it's any consolation, I haven't played it yet (despite owning it) because I'm still jammin away at Guardians of the Galaxy. Maybe others are in a similar boat. + Rise just released a couple days ago and has a lot of potential players as well.

As long as it remains in the top sellers for a while I'm sure it will be fine. Days Gone didn't even debut at #1 (unlike GoW) and didn't stay in there long. Horizons was the opposite and it exceeded Sony's expectations.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

It definitely made money.

I think the figures reflect a few things (no receipts, just speculation):

- It's a narrative-based game, and everyone and their mother already had the game spoiled for them by the time the Steam release rolled out. When you already know all the twists there's less drive to play the game.
- A lot of people aren't going to pay full price for a delayed title. They'll just wait for the first Steam sale and save 30%. If you're going to make players wait, then they won't mind waiting a bit longer to get massive discounts.
- The game has no multiplayer component. I don't believe it needs one, or that every game needs one, but it does give players a reason to play on release to experience the community while it is fresh.

I'd be interested to know how many people have it wishlisted.

Yoboman

I enjoyed the game and even platinum it but thats little bit of exaggeration.
Alot of people would agree with him

Vagswarm

It's a narrative-based game, and everyone and their mother already had the game spoiled for them by the time the Steam release rolled out. When you already know all the twists there's less drive to play the game.
Make that everyone and their mother except me. Other than having a son, I have no idea what the game is about or what happens. Just now learned that it's not like the original 3 and more akin to Arkham Asylum.

I have no idea what happens in other Sony games either, lol. Anything they bring to the PC will be brand new and welcomed.

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
Lulz

Every time I see you pop up, it’s for extremely unsubtle console warring. Why?

$499 spread over a 7 year console lifespan is too fucking cheap for you to be doing this shit.

Last edited:
Lulz

Are you just drunk or do you suffer from paranoia? I'm not Kingfey, my name is not Theodor and what does that even have to do with this thread? Seems you have a problem with pc ports, even though every sane gamer should hope for more ports.

Top Bottom