• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War has reportedly sold at least 1 million copies on PC

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
God of War came out on PC on January 14th and from the looks of it, this latest Playstation-exclusive game is selling well on our platform.

test-god-of-war-pc.jpg

The game has been the best-selling title on Steam in the past two weeks and according to SteamSpy, it has sold at least one million copies.

Do note that SteamSpy only shows estimates for a game’s sales (based on the number of players who own a game).
Also note that SteamSpy only tracks public profiles, meaning that those with private profiles (that own the game) are not counted.

Therefore, and theoretically, the actual PC sales may be higher than one million. Let’s also not forget that God of War is available via other PC digital services, like Epic Games Store.

GOW-PC-one-million-sales.jpg

And God of War deserves those sales as the PC version is in a great state. The game runs smoothly on a wide range of PC configurations, and feels great with K&M.
God of War does not feature any FOV slider (mainly due to its one-cut game design) but PC gamers can download this experimental FOV mod!

yurinka

It's a very good port of one of the best games of the generation, goty of its year and a reboot of one of the most popular Sony brands. So even if it's a 4 years old game it was pretty likely to see it selling well considering the sales numbers of previous Sony games ported to PC.

Well deserved.

Santa Monica taking 2 years for this really worth it though?

Wouldnt a Miles Morales sized GOW game for PS4/PS5 sell more?
The PC port is on track to sell around 5 million copies but yes, a Morales sized GoW game would sell more. They won't stop selling the port tomorrow.

And well, this PC port was made primarly by only 4 engineers, and from Jetpack Interactive, not SSM. From the SSM side they had mostly obviously a producer to manage the project and provide material, and a UX/UI guy for the related control & UI adaptations.

A Morales sized game would require way more people and time, so even if with higher sales it would be way less profitable than this port.

Last edited:
It's a very good port of one of the best games of the generation, goty of its year and a reboot of one of the most popular Sony brands. So even if it's a 4 years old game it was pretty likely to see it selling well considering the sales numbers of previous Sony games ported to PC.

Well deserved.

The PC port is on track to sell around 5 million copies but yes, a Morales sized GoW game would sell more. They won't stop selling the port tomorrow.

And well, this PC port was made primarly by only 4 engineers, and from Jetpack Interactive, not SSM. A Morales sized game would need way more development time and way more people involved. It would be way less profitable than this port.
Well I guess if it was only 4 people. Then it really doesnt matter.

As long as Santa Monica wasn’t involved it’s fine.

yurinka

Note this very game is free on PS5 with PS+ Collection. Sony is going to expose their games to PC gamers but hold out on the sequels like a crack dealer.
Not only included in PS+ Collection, it also was included on PS Now and on top of that it already sold 20M units on PS before releasing the port almost 4 years after the original release.

So basically everybody who was interested to buy and play it on PS already did, the PC sales don't steal copies sold on PS because already did all its work it had to do there.

Well I guess if it was only 4 people. Then it really doesnt matter.

As long as Santa Monica wasn’t involved it’s fine.
As far as we know since releasing GoW 2018 Santa Monica has been working primarly on Ragnarok, but also on at least to bring GoW to a new mythology after Ragnarok (I assume only preproduction stuff) and a new IP or game.

Everything with Cory overviewing, and with the studio hiring a ton of people like all the other internal development studios from Sony.

Plus they also acquired Valkyrie, an art oursourcing studio who did work on many top AAA games being GoW and GoW Ragnarok two of them. Plus a studio who makes PC ports, plus another studio who makes remasters and remakes.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I wouldn't call the janky estimates from the various sites that do it "reportedly."

But it's likely it did really well either way.

These ports are cheap too.

skit_data

I think it was a team of 5 that undertook porting it to PC. They could easily increase the amount of people to get it out quicker.

But, I don’t see why they should hurry so much. Let the game breathe a bit on the console and then port it. Adjust it depending on the IP and how well it’s selling.

Edit: Four people from Jetpack interactive + producer from SSM + other members ”additional contribution”. Doesn’t sound like a big team. The ROI is strong with this one.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

SSM only provided QA which is roughly 20-30% of the overall effort of a typical project. Since the project was ported over by just 4 devs at an external studio, it was likely pretty cheap around $2 million or $3 million.

ClosBSAS

Actually it's more, it's at 1.1 million according to steamspy numbers for ppm that pay the Patreon like me. There's a 5 to 10 % margin of error on it. So let's just say 1million is the number

ZywyPL

Banned
So all things considered it's most likely between 2-3M in like a week. And people wonder why Sony ports their games to PC...

How about give us a proper PS5 version of Bloodborne first that's 60fps.

But console gamers have been telling Sony for decades that 30FPS is more than enough and they want better graphics instead, no?

leo-j

Hot so more than any call of duty in the past 5 years ?

If we assuming the game is at 21-22 million without the extra EPIC games and holiday PS sales. Huge for Sony .

Guilty_AI

How trustable is Steam Spy?
It uses reviews to caculate sales. While its somewhat trusthworthy in general, it has many outliers since different games can get wild variations in the frequency of reviews. Overall however, i think its safe enough to say sales are around 1M.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
not much

It uses reviews to caculate sales. While its somewhat trusthworthy in general, it has many outliers since different games can get wild variations in the frequency of reviews. Overall however, i think its safe enough to say sales are around 1M.
it has been proven steam spy is not trustworthy time and time again

Last edited:

Sentenza

It used to be pretty damn reliable, then the change for privacy reason that made Steam profiles private by default seriously undermined its reliability.

Still, even with its new algorithm it tends to get more and more reliable as the size of the user base.
Basically it's now mostly fine for big and popular games and a complete stab in the dark when it comes to small ones.

Lognor

Banned

These are the types of comments I've seen all over Reddit, but this might be the first I've seen on neogaf. So butthurt that Sony is developing games for PC! And because of the success of GOW that means MORE Sony games will come to PC! You need to accept this future.

This is great for me. I can enjoy all these Sony hits without the need to buy a Playstation! Hopefully Sony closes the gap between PS release and PC release. Three years is a bit long.

The ROI for this game on PC will be very VERY good.

Sony will undoubtedly be happy with it.

I always laugh when I see people say look... 1M on PC and 20M on consoles.. why even bother!?

lol.. this game was ported by a 4-5 team port studio... for 2 years. Even with modest estimates this cost them fuck all to make compared to what they will make from it. Sony are not stupid... they're not expecting "console level" sales from this game.. They also understand that this is opening up new markets to them and that it's going to take time to build up a rapport with PC gamers and these new communities.. before their numbers will really start to grow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom