• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War has reportedly sold at least 1 million copies on PC

Buggy Loop

According to nvidia, March

face homer GIF

Goddamn, PCs have it all recently.

cromofo

God Of War is still selling like hotcakes on Steam, Sony must be loving it.

For myself and a lot of PC gamers - if a game is not on PC, it does not exist. There's a lot of money to be made for Sony in the PC space and I expect them to ramp up PC porting and shorten the intervals in which they arrive on PC post console release. Especially now after MSFT acquired ZeniMax/Bethesda and ActiBlizzard.

And no - "enticing PC players to buy a PS5" is not their primary goal, especially considering the shortages. Their primary goal is to sell software to people who will never buy their hardware.

yurinka

According to nvidia, March
As I remember according to that Nvidia list MS was going to release 16 AAA games on PC during 2022 (before acquiring ABK).

And no - "enticing PC players to buy a PS5" is not their primary goal, especially considering the shortages. Their primary goal is to sell software to people who will never buy their hardware.
As I remember Sony said that they expected to sell some PS5s thanks to the PC port, but that their main goal with the ports was to reach players who never will buy a (at least theirs) console, specially in countries where they basically don't play on console but instead play a lot in PC.

Considering they wanted to grow in China, Russia, India, Korea or Latin America, I assume a good part of it will be via these PC port, and then also via their upcoming mobile games.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Replayed this on ps5.
Only time I played it was on ps4 slim on release day.

This time (near) 4k, 60fps, 3d audio, oled, hdr... not to say any of that matters but I liked the game more than in 2018.
The main problem is that it ran out of steam about 2nd time you go to the "place".
I was very engaged with side quests and explorations to the point that it feels like all my energy was spent there in first 2/3rds of the game.
After that I did not wanted to engage with more side quests or explore. I didn't even wanted to open chests if they are too far away. Runes? f that. I have plenty of health and all 5 gear.
I even finished it on balanced compared to easy in 2018. The sponge is strong with this one.
Runic attacks are redundant. I felt no need to switch my runic attacks. Why switch if I have max damage runic attacks ?
Every fight is Runic1, Runic2, Rage - finish with few hits. Mash stun Arrows button all the time.
The weapons stances and combos also felt needless. Why hold a stance for area swipe if normal attack does that? The reward for remembering to do a skill combo is not there. The damage is not there.

So I love the game, main story, progression.
I dislike too much bloat, hundreds of same chests, runes and skills/attacks that are just there for variety but you dont need any of that.
I dislike all the climbing/long door opening/ shimming animations that hide loading. Feels like old game design... and I love climbing in games like uc4 but in gow it's clearly used as loading

GhostOfTsu

Banned

#1 for 3 weeks in a row. Impressive.

You should make a thread about it. The news is kind of buried here.

It will never not be funny to me that Playstation fans insist people are missing out on these exclusives, only to be met with a collective shrug.
You were saying?

Concurrent is still higher than Halo right now 3 weeks later and it's SP only. GOW is at #42 while Halo is #63 according to Steam Charts 🤡

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You should make a thread about it. The news is kind of buried here.

You were saying?

Concurrent is still higher than Halo right now 3 weeks later and it's SP only. GOW is at #42 while Halo is #63 according to Steam Charts 🤡

g1hrqPg.jpg
yAe5iKZ.jpg

PlayStation games don’t seem to have much last appeal with PC gamers. This is an interesting turn of events.

But I’ll wait to see how their titles do once they begin to release in closer lockstep with the PS versions.

Also you can’t price gouge PC players.

Xbox guys were really quick to jump the gun. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Azurro

Banned
God Of War is still selling like hotcakes on Steam, Sony must be loving it.

For myself and a lot of PC gamers - if a game is not on PC, it does not exist. There's a lot of money to be made for Sony in the PC space and I expect them to ramp up PC porting and shorten the intervals in which they arrive on PC post console release. Especially now after MSFT acquired ZeniMax/Bethesda and ActiBlizzard.

Their objective is multiple fold, they do want to entice PC players to buy a PS5, but they also want to monetise the tail end of their games' life cycle without harming their ecosystem, which brings them the lion's share of the profits. That's why I don't expect day and date releases for the medium/long term, a couple of million copies on steam are great, but it's not worth putting at risk your ecosystem for it.

Jaybe

Just finished it. Holy shit. Probably my game of the generation. Wider fov plus 100fps took it from great to amazing. Word of mouth is gonna keep this selling for a while.

Agreed. This will sell into the millions over time. It’s probably arguably in the top 5 single player games of the last decade on PC. It will get new sales bursts with the first sale, the first deep discount, and when Ragnarok releases. Plus maybe modding carries it ever further.

Last edited:

3liteDragon

First time. Played the first few hours standard fov, then got flawless widescreen and went +25fov and it honestly made the game twice as good.
Yea it's one of the best games I've played last-gen (played it on PS4), I hope they port Ghost of Tsushima over to PC (whenever that is) next before TLOU2, personally I think that would do bigger numbers than God of War right now. Wish I had a capable PC to play it again on ultra settings.

Last edited:

Three

Replayed this on ps5.
Only time I played it was on ps4 slim on release day.

This time (near) 4k, 60fps, 3d audio, oled, hdr... not to say any of that matters but I liked the game more than in 2018.
The main problem is that it ran out of steam about 2nd time you go to the "place".
I was very engaged with side quests and explorations to the point that it feels like all my energy was spent there in first 2/3rds of the game.
After that I did not wanted to engage with more side quests or explore. I didn't even wanted to open chests if they are too far away. Runes? f that. I have plenty of health and all 5 gear.
I even finished it on balanced compared to easy in 2018. The sponge is strong with this one.
Runic attacks are redundant. I felt no need to switch my runic attacks. Why switch if I have max damage runic attacks ?
Every fight is Runic1, Runic2, Rage - finish with few hits. Mash stun Arrows button all the time.
The weapons stances and combos also felt needless. Why hold a stance for area swipe if normal attack does that? The reward for remembering to do a skill combo is not there. The damage is not there.

So I love the game, main story, progression.
I dislike too much bloat, hundreds of same chests, runes and skills/attacks that are just there for variety but you dont need any of that.
I dislike all the climbing/long door opening/ shimming animations that hide loading. Feels like old game design... and I love climbing in games like uc4 but in gow it's clearly used as loading
Play on "Give me God of War" difficulty if you want to use combos and be more engaged in the battle system. Not on easy or balanced. I did GMGOW difficulty on NG+ last year, then you appreciate things like combos, especially against the Valkyries.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I bought it on Steam. I will never buy a PS5 console, if only to shatter the delusional narrative from console warriors on GAF.

robin-williams-ice-cream.gif
Ok? Your loss then?
I really don’t see what’s so bad about consoles from pc player perspective. Does it hurt to just play the game?
500 maybe is a bit much but that’s cheaper than almost and pc part now.
I got PS4 in 2017 just because it was 200. Just for exclusives alongside pc

PhaseJump

Banned
Ok? Your loss then?

cd77ddfd7073820281edd2c339ec09e69372b59f.gifv

I really don’t see what’s so bad about consoles from pc player perspective. Does it hurt to just play the game?
500 maybe is a bit much but that’s cheaper than almost and pc part now.
I got PS4 in 2017 just because it was 200. Just for exclusives alongside pc

69ee294b7a4de95a4d9f38b1b40ce193c551571b.gifv

It hurts to look at the PS5 and that is enough. It's too loud and ugly to allow into my home.

500 is a bit much, assuming you can get the console at retail price, assuming it's available as an impulse buy, there are exclusive games to justify it's purchase.
500 is also a bit low, considering the reality of the scalpers market, which predicates your argument about PC part prices being higher in the first place.

I too got a cheap PS4 in 2017, for the Crash trilogy and HZD. I still have buyers remorse.
I still have buyer's remorse over the PS Vita launch which went to become a premium priced hell scape thanks to Sony's bullshit.
The PS3 Super Slim I bought bundled with GT5, which literally couldn't access it's own PSN store for years without crashing? Nah... No buyer's remorse there... Oh, wait.

You blatant console sales shills need to smarten up. Eat more Omega 3 for brain development or something. Touch grass.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
cd77ddfd7073820281edd2c339ec09e69372b59f.gifv

69ee294b7a4de95a4d9f38b1b40ce193c551571b.gifv

It hurts to look at the PS5 and that is enough. It's too loud and ugly to allow into my home.

500 is a bit much, assuming you can get the console at retail price, assuming it's available as an impulse buy, there are exclusive games to justify it's purchase.
500 is also a bit low, considering the reality of the scalpers market, which predicates your argument about PC part prices being higher in the first place.

I too got a cheap PS4 in 2017, for the Crash trilogy and HZD. I still have buyers remorse.
I still have buyer's remorse over the PS Vita launch which went to become a premium priced hell scape thanks to Sony's bullshit.
The PS3 Super Slim I bought bundled with GT5, which literally couldn't access it's own PSN store for years without crashing? Nah... No buyer's remorse there... Oh, wait.

You blatant console sales shills need to smarten up. Eat more Omega 3 for brain development or something. Touch grass.
What ?!
Loud and ugly ?!
eh nevernmind. We are not going to agree so lets stop here

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Sony calls God of War on PC a success​

“We view the deployment of our game IP on multiple platforms as a major growth opportunity for Sony, as has been evidenced by the success of the PC versions of God of War and other first party games.”

cromofo

Yup. The PS gamers *wish* that was the case but the games will literally outperform any of the PS versions so it's moot.
It's just a way to cope with the new situation they've found themselves in. On the surface it makes it sound like a 3D chess move and gives fanboys something to hold on (Sony games are so other-worldly that PC gamers will finally see the light and buy PS5's en masse).

It's working tho, look at this travesty of an article - https://www.dualshockers.com/god-of-war-is-actually-making-pc-players-buy-a-playstation-5/

Everything we've seen recently from Sony - porting more games, porting bigger games, establishing a PC label, buying a PC porting studio, buying Bungie and them staying multiplatform, focusing more on live-service games, "beyond the console" etc. etc., refutes the "3D upside down underwater" strategy.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Friends of mine who exclusively play on PC weren't that curious but now I hear nothing but praise for it. One of the GOAT games.

GrayFoxPL

Yup. The PS gamers *wish* that was the case but the games will literally outperform any of the PS versions so it's moot.

I'm speaking about the differences in graphics performance/quality of PC ports to PS. Why would I want a PS version when the PC version will outperform the PS version?

Sarcastic Joke GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Of course. No doubt about it.
Unless some people will realize that... "whoa these games have been on that 200$ ps4 slim all this time?"
But probably not :p

Top Bottom