• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War is Polygon's Game of the Year

Thiagosc777

719.gif

GamesAreFun

Banned
There's a lot of indie games in their top 50, fair play for not sticking to the usual AAA titles.

Still would be nice if a non-cinematic, gameplay focused title was ever again awarded GOTY though. You might as well award TLOU2 for next year already.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There's a lot of indie games in their top 50, fair play for not sticking to the usual AAA titles.

Still would be nice if a non-cinematic, gameplay focused title was ever again awarded GOTY though. You might as well award TLOU2 for next year already.

God of War is pretty damned gameplay focused. It has both.

Nymphae

Banned
Looks like a Polygon list to me. Really surprised Fallout 76 made the list with absolutely no mention of anything negative.

Fake

Strange Fallout 76 appear in that list after all those problems and PR twitter saying about launch bugs.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
how fucking idiotic do you have to be to rate Fallout 76 higher than Octopath and Captain Toad?

fwiw i only have a Switch but #1 looks like a damn fine game. one day i'll get a PS4 and for sure will get that.

I’m sure it will win most of the awards. Combined critical and financial success hard for the big media sites to ignore.

Games like Dragon Quest don’t stand a chance really even if they are amazing

Personally GoW is my game of the generation. I base that on every game having flaws and the flawed of GoW are far inferior to the flaws of other contending games, for me anyway.

Last edited:

Fbh

Wow... the game with the Straight white guy with his straight (I guess?) white son?
Polygon alt right site confirmed!

Games was pretty gameplay focused IMO. 90%+ of my time was spent fighting, exploring and solving puzzles. One of the things I actually liked the mos is that it had that AAA cinematic feeling without those long stretches of walking and talking and constant cutscenes

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
God Of War is a fantastic game, I can’t be too salty, even though I disagree that it was the best game of the year — it’s still a masterpiece. 2018 was such a great year for this medium.

dottme

I can understand the top position to GoW. But what the fuck is the rest of the list?
Does someone have the full list? I can’t even recognized some of the picture in the top 10.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I can understand the top position to GoW. But what the fuck is the rest of the list?
Does someone have the full list? I can’t even recognized some of the picture in the top 10.

Without cheating and looking at a text list I see

2: Return of the Obra Dinn
3: dunno what this is, it looks gay though
4: Tetris Effect
5: Celeste
6: RDR2
7: That game from the guys who made FTL
8: Monster Hunter
9: Spooderman
10: Ass Creed Odyssey
11: Hollow Knight
12: Smash Bros
13: Fortnite
14:
15:
16:
17: Astrobot
18:
19:
20: Prey - Mooncrash
21: No Mans Sky
22:
23: Hitman 2
24:
25:
26:
27:
28:
29: SotC Remake
30: Dragon Quest Warriors
31:
32: Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu
33: That donut game which has donut in the title
34:
35:
36:
37:
38:
39: Nintendo LABO
40:
41:
42: Fallout 76 (what the fuck why is this here)
43:
44: Mario Tennis
45L
46L
47L
48:
49: Toad Explorer Wii U port
50: Ni No Kuni 2

zenspider

God of War is pretty damned gameplay focused. It has both.

Ahhh.... I think I get what GamesAreFun GamesAreFun is saying.

Celeste, Hollow Knight, Dead Cells, Into The Breach or The Messenger - all of which are fantastic contenders for GOTY - are really gameplay focused experiences in comparison.

God of War does pack a lot of gameplay compared to it's contemporaries, but there's still RPG-lite padding throughout and serious pacing issues typical of AAA.

Vawn

Banned
My game of the year is Octopath Traveler, but that clearly wasnt winning any GOTY awards. God of War is definitely the most deserving, even with how polished and detailed RDR2 is.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Nice. God of War is also my 2018 game of the year. Sony has given me my game of the year for the last two years. Will see if they can three-peat for me in 2019.

Dunki

totally deserved God of war had everything against it. People were sceptical about why it even needs to continue. Then the gameplay completely changed. The pilosphy of scale and huge boss fights was removed. People cried out loud after we knew about the no cuts in the camera direction which Ihave never thought would work this well.

And then a for dead remembered IP has risen from the ashes to become probably even the best God of War game so far.

They even redeemed the character of Kratos which no one thought was possible.

bilderberg

totally deserved God of war had everything against it. People were sceptical about why it even needs to continue. Then the gameplay completely changed. The pilosphy of scale and huge boss fights was removed. People cried out loud after we knew about the no cuts in the camera direction which Ihave never thought would work this well.

And then a for dead remembered IP has risen from the ashes to become probably even the best God of War game so far.

They even redeemed the character of Kratos which no one thought was possible.

And these are the reasons why I'm starting to hate it. That and all the cutscenes and faux gameplay, but I'm early so maybe that'll change. I didn't think Kratos needed to be redeemed, and this kid is annoying as fuck. I just want him to shut up. Maybe this game just isn't meant for heartless people like me. It's so obvious the game is going to make these two bond, Kratos will learn about fatherhood, blah blah blah. I would have left the kid back at the cabin and told him to fend for himself. I bet their aren't even sex mini games with some Norse broads either. Man, video games suck now a days.

zenspider

My game of the year is Octopath Traveler, but that clearly wasnt winning any GOTY awards. God of War is definitely the most deserving, even with how polished and detailed RDR2 is.

But why?

This year was really eye-opening in that regard for me. God of War was that 'GOTY': I was thoroughly impressed with the direction and the spectacle, and has a blast for the first 20 hours, but by the end of the summer, Hollow Knight, Octopath Traveler, and The Messenger were much more fun and significant to me.

God Of War and RDR2 are still 'lowest common denominator' to a big degree. They're the superhero movies of gaming. The case for them as GOTY's should be more uphill than they are. I think 'Celeste', and my personal contentious GOTY Hollow Knight are just as deserving. Octopath deserves a serious look on the strength of it's soundtrack and it's clever structure alone.

TLZ

Banned
Labo is on there but not Dragon Quest XI? Nowhere in top 50? This is just wrong. Completely wrong.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
But why?

This year was really eye-opening in that regard for me. God of War was that 'GOTY': I was thoroughly impressed with the direction and the spectacle, and has a blast for the first 20 hours, but by the end of the summer, Hollow Knight, Octopath Traveler, and The Messenger were much more fun and significant to me.

God Of War and RDR2 are still 'lowest common denominator' to a big degree. They're the superhero movies of gaming. The case for them as GOTY's should be more uphill than they are. I think 'Celeste', and my personal contentious GOTY Hollow Knight are just as deserving. Octopath deserves a serious look on the strength of it's soundtrack and it's clever structure alone.

Because God of War hit all the notes. Top-tier graphics, fantastic story and characters and great/fun gameplay.

I had the most fun with Octopath, but that's because it was comfort food for me. It was impressive for what it did with pixel art, but it didn't move the industry forward in the same way as God of War or Red Dead.

Hollow Knight was an awesome indie, but not drop your jaw amazing like GoW. It's also not a 2018 game.

Senhua

Why I'm not surprised, several mainstream site claimed as "gaming journalist" with hidden agendas give their favorite games which inline with their's perfect score/GOTY.
This always be the thing since....PS3 era?
Lol pathetic.

G-Bus

Banned
It's deserved.

Absolutely phenomenal year for gamers regardless.

I'm Sad Fallout76 made that list. Fucking disgrace.

Last edited:
I finished God of War for the first time a few days ago, really enjoyed it. Graphics top notch, enjoyed the combat, but the story was on its own, just amazing. Can see why its GOTY for many, definitely mine.

The only thing I really disliked about the game was that they didn't answer a lot of the unanswered questions. Felt like they were trying to distance themselves from the old games. Things like how did he get there, how is he still alive after gow3, where is athena, where is the big ass sword etc... But also stuff they set up in the game, like when the dark elf told them they made a mistake (never expanded upon). Not really something I can count as a negative though, just something that I wished they answered (didn't have to be full answers but an idea)

Also wish it had platforming and a jump button but yeah

Last edited:
Top Bottom