• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War is Polygon's Game of the Year

Why I'm not surprised, several mainstream site claimed as "gaming journalist" with hidden agendas give their favorite games which inline with their's perfect score/GOTY.

What? I mean it's pretty much a safe assumption that a person's favorite game that year is also that person's game of the year. It's not always the case but it's a good null hypothesis. And what agenda was God of War even trying to help push? That having a father there to teach you how to be a man is a good thing? My friend actually joked that that's the reason journos liked GoW. Kratos was a substitute father for all the ones that disowned them for their crazy politics.

Dunki

But why?

This year was really eye-opening in that regard for me. God of War was that 'GOTY': I was thoroughly impressed with the direction and the spectacle, and has a blast for the first 20 hours, but by the end of the summer, Hollow Knight, Octopath Traveler, and The Messenger were much more fun and significant to me.

God Of War and RDR2 are still 'lowest common denominator' to a big degree. They're the superhero movies of gaming. The case for them as GOTY's should be more uphill than they are. I think 'Celeste', and my personal contentious GOTY Hollow Knight are just as deserving. Octopath deserves a serious look on the strength of it's soundtrack and it's clever structure alone.
Because the odds were totally against this game before the release. All the games you mentioned were either totally fresh and came out of nowhere or you knew exactly what you would get from. With God Of war people were really sceptical and it is not every day that a well known IP changes so drastically and even get better than before.

You mean a game based on a gruff, murderous white man, big swinging horse balls, and tons of senseless, graphic murder didn’t top Polygons list?

Color me shocked.

It has all that but the horse balls but that’s not a bad thing.

Would you mind explaining? I feel out of the loop. What does GoW suggest about Polygon's progressiveness? They gave the game a perfect score as well.

Straight “white” male lead and BOY! I get Kratos isn’t technically white but he’s in white face. And BOY is white of Nordic heritage.

i wish they let us get rid of the shoulder camera

i can't stand it. i really can't in any game. its not natural for vision to be off centered

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
i wish they let us get rid of the shoulder camera

i can't stand it. i really can't in any game. its not natural for vision to be off centered
Or just don't play game with that camera view. I don't like first person but that doesn't mean it should disappear.

zenspider

Because God of War hit all the notes. Top-tier graphics, fantastic story and characters and great/fun gameplay.

I had the most fun with Octopath, but that's because it was comfort food for me. It was impressive for what it did with pixel art, but it didn't move the industry forward in the same way as God of War or Red Dead.

Hollow Knight was an awesome indie, but not drop your jaw amazing like GoW. It's also not a 2018 game.

I wasn't really trying to make a case for Octopath or against God of War, but pointing out that the 'matter of fact' quality of the GOTY nod is strange for that poster and, at the time, for myself.

Having enjoy other gamed more, it's weird to say GoW "deserved it" more. I don't think it did.

Because the odds were totally against this game before the release. All the games you mentioned were either totally fresh and came out of nowhere or you knew exactly what you would get from. With God Of war people were really sceptical and it is not every day that a well known IP changes so drastically and even get better than before.

I really don't believe the odds were against a massive budget AAA first-party Sony title with years of hype.

Sure, some people beholden to the IP were skeptical they weren't foing to get what they wanted from the series, but more people - like me - thought GoW was a average action game with an unfortunate level of edginess and welcomed the change. Nobody really thought it would be a bad game, and, because our hobby is obssesed with blockbusters, many had it pegged for GOTY well before it launched.

Cactuarman

Banned
Straight “white” male lead and BOY! I get Kratos isn’t technically white but he’s in white face. And BOY is white of Nordic heritage.

This doesn't help answer my question about what GoW says about Polygon's progressiveness. "So much for Polygon being progressive!" seems to suggest that their very positive review of GoW means that they aren't being progressive here, but that they normally are.

I've also seen commenters say that GoW is progressive, particularly compared to the previous games. This is why I'd hoping you'd explain your thoughts.

:messenger_grinning_sweat: I should probably force myself to play for more than an hour. Still think - everything about that game is total shit. [apart from visuals]

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
:messenger_grinning_sweat: I should probably force myself to play for more than an hour. Still think - everything about that game is total shit. [apart from visuals]

It could.m be that it is not your cup of tea or that you need to play for more than an hour... regardless, nothing in that game is shit hehe ;).

Kagero

the only knock on it I have is more epic boss fights. Other then that, the game was top tier all around.

rəddəM

You guys need to understand what GoW and Santa Monica Studio did.
E3 2016 reveal with orchestra.
Old and full bearded norse Kratos.
Kratos trying to be better for BOY.
No cut camera.
Good combat.
Amazing graphics.
Interesting story and characters.
Exploration.
RPG like combat/armor customization.
Music.
No monetization schemes, interaction with the players and post launch support also makes SMS Studio of the Year too.
They completely reinvented the series, for the better. It's amazing to see what it was, what Kratos was and what it/he is now.
See now why it's game of the year?

Top Bottom