• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War on PC - Digital Foundry Tech Review

winjer

Gold Member

Alex review:
Decent UI and good options
No stutter due to shader compilation, thanks to DX11
No FOV option
Native support for Dual Sense
Nvidia Reflex at 60 fps has 11ms less than the PS5
PC loads 4 seconds faster than the PS5, regardless of CPU
PC has no artifacts due to checkerboarding, resulting in a cleaner image
PC has shadows with higher resolution and cast more shadows in the scene
Increased geometry reduces pop-in when objects change LOD
Much improved Ambient Occlusion adds many shadows and even some bounce light
Slight improvement for volumetric fog
SSR is improved but depends on the scene, because not all scenes use it
Textures load higher resolution at distance on PC
Shadows are very heavy. Ultra setting is 50% heavier than Original
GTX 1060 can do almost double the FPS of a PS4, at Original settings. Gets very close to 60 fps.
RX 580 is a bit slower than the GTX 1060. Has worse frame times.
RTX 2060S is 10% faster than RX 5700. Probably because of DX11.
Loading areas taxes the CPU and causes huge performance dips

6DE0xMI.png

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
PC/Windows BC is why decades of game catalogues that can scale with resolution, new texture mods, RTGI hacks, make it the GOAT platform. The PC community that are working on enhancing the old games are under appreciated.
Consoles have new generation, while pc is the same thing. Can run the same old games. Just need to keep up with new demanding games. That is why I am a pc gamer. i get to play nostalgic games.

kingfey

Banned
Is the game still available? Its jan 14, and it wont load it for me.

EDIT: It seems the game would be available to me in 2 and half hour from now.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Will wait for the mods for FoV and zoom out camera. Lol at the spider-sense because shit camera...
One cool feature is that you can disable that shit, and instead of the spider-sense, Atreus will warn you when an enemy is going to attack you from behind or the sides.

Buggy Loop

Pro work on a video!

Hmm that magic

drooling GIF

DLSS killed native res on this port, really good job.

Even DLSS performance mode looks better than checkerboard. I mean, yea, when initially have a few peoples scratching their heads why their 3080 is not running this at 4K native at 200+ fps, it’s because you’re comparing apples and oranges, it’s clear how checkerboard is a big shortcut in rendering with lots of motion flaws.

Last edited:
DLSS killed native res on this port, really good job.

Even DLSS performance mode looks better than checkerboard. I mean, yea, when initially have a few peoples scratching their heads why their 3080 is not running this at 4K native at 200+ fps, it’s because you’re comparing apples and oranges, it’s clear how checkerboard is a big shortcut in rendering with lots of motion flaws.
My eyes might be deceiving me, but even performance mode seem to look better than PS5's CB version.

Whats funny how you could find posts here claiming DLSS are nothing special and CB is just as good, but at least in this game DLSS at even as low as half of CB resolution looks still better. [DLSS perf is 1/4 4K or 1080p than AI's to 4K, CB is 1/2 4k or 2160x1080 if I'm not wrong]

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Nothing wrong with a dx11 game… if it were dx12 there would probably be a bunch of stuttering for marginal gains

There is when one of the two GPU IHVs pretty much ceased to optimize for DX11 a while ago.

It's not using DX12 that brings stuttering. It's using a bad implementation of DX12 which is completely inexcusable considering DX12 released 7 years ago.
Of course all the issues with AMD graphics cards on frametimes come from CPU performance. And it seems async compute isn't even being used.

All the big PC games that were brought within the last 4 years were DX12, Sony's own Death Stranding and Horizon Zero Dawn included.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Here's my deal. HDR. My tv has HDR. My pc monitor doesn't. I have the game already for PS5. Not sure it's worth the double dip.
NeoGAF thoughts?
They way I see it you either plug the PC to the TV or settle for the PS5 version, which IMO should be good enough compared to the PC version, and you already have it, so...

Here's my deal. HDR. My tv has HDR. My pc monitor doesn't. I have the game already for PS5. Not sure it's worth the double dip.
NeoGAF thoughts?
Does PC version not have HDR when you hook it up to TV? And omg PC has duel-sense support! I thought folks here cared for that so much?

Top Bottom