• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War on PC - Digital Foundry Tech Review

nani17

are in a big trouble
Can't wait to play this again on my new pc. Also very interested to see what the modding community do

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Here's my deal. HDR. My tv has HDR. My pc monitor doesn't. I have the game already for PS5. Not sure it's worth the double dip.
NeoGAF thoughts?
1st thought: connect your PC to your HDR TV.

2nd thought: if 1st thought can't be executed, wait until it can.

3rd thought: if 2nd thought can't be executed, play it on the PS5. I honestly can't see a large enough difference to justify losing HDR in this game.

Excited Aww GIF by TikTok
Is that your dog?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Natively what? The hell are you talking about?
It's a native PC game running on the DX11 native API. It is not running in an emulator.

On the PS5, it is running in BC mode, not natively. So it's essentially running the same as it would on the PS4Pro, other than the CPU on the PS5 brute forcing the unlocked framerate mode to be a smooth 60. There is no native PS5 version, unfortunately.

His comment was typical of him. Disingenuous at that, because gosh forbid.
Is that your dog?
I wish! Such a cute lil puppers.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Native vs BC. PS5 is just brute-forcing its way as it seems in all of the benefits on PS5, including keeping it at 1800p checkerboarded to 4K.
Agreed. however in case someone wouldn't want to be a smart ass. People also brute forcing it, since Direct Storage is sadly still not ready...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The PC's in the test only use a 3.5gb/s SSD too.
We've been over this in the past with BC games built around low level API. But ah well.

Hint: Some games load faster with an SSD on the PS4/Pro, and some games don't change much at all. All depends on their streaming setup in the API (hard bit caps or not).

If there were a native PS5 version (see Ghost), then improvements would be made.

I wasn't that psyched before because I'd already seen so much of the game, but this is such a good port it is making me kind of hyped to get it.

ACESHIGH

Banned
DX11? Why not vulkan or DX12? We are in 2022 ffs... The RX 580 and 1060 should run the game at 1080p 60 original settings.
It's a good port but there's room for performance improvements.

Mr Moose

We've been over this in the past with BC games built around low level API. But ah well.

Hint: Some games load faster with an SSD on the PS4/Pro, and some games don't change much at all. All depends on their streaming setup in the API (hard bit caps or not).

If there were a native PS5 version (see Ghost), then improvements would be made.
Yup.

DX11? Why not vulkan or DX12? We are in 2022 ffs... The RX 580 and 1060 should run the game at 1080p 60 original settings.
It's a good port but there's room for performance improvements.
No stutter due to shader compilation, thanks to DX11

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Sony delivering a quality port again.

Great to see and hope Uncharted will be as good.
Jetpack Interactive are a pretty good studio.
And now Sony also have Nixxes their ports should be monstrous.
It really depends who is doing the port job.
Horizon Zero Dawn was ported by Virtuos and that game was trash at launch.

I'll say it, they're doing a better job than many big devs out there who have been on PC for decades (Ubisoft, Square Enix, Microsoft)
1UDTNdC.png

Okay Ill bite:
Did you really just say Microsoft?
Gears 4, Gears 5, Horizon 3, Horizon 4, Horizon 5, both Ori games, Sea of Thieves, Gears Tactics hell even frikken Crackdown 3 will basically run well on a potato, MS ports are generally optimized out the ass, dare I say they actually have the best batting average when it comes to port jobs...sure there have been some duds in the past, but generally their ports are on point.
Since fill rarely has a MS port job been plagued with issues at launch....the last one I can think of is like MCC? I remember Quantum Break was also heavy at launch but i cant remember if that was a bad port or just a heavy game.

M1chl

I'll say it, they're doing a better job than many big devs out there who have been on PC for decades (Ubisoft, Square Enix, Microsoft)

Great to see and hope Uncharted will be as good.
I don't know, past MS ports were exceptional.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am surprised that a 6 tflops 580 and its Nvidia equivalent are struggling to hit 60 fps at 1080p using PS4 settings. They are over 3x more powerful than the 1.8 tflops PS4 without even taking into consideration the IPC gains, they have access to more RAM, and way better CPU than the shitty jaguar 1.6 ghz and 2.1 ghz CPUs in the PS4.

To me, this is just a bad port just like Horizon. I tried running Horizon at 1080p using original settings last night, and it topped out at like 85 FPS on a RTX 2080. Thats an 11.5 tflops card running the game on a 8 core 16 thread CPU that can hit 5.1 Ghz. And all I get is less than 3x more performance? Absolutely ridiculous.

It's clear they did the bare minimum porting this. It's a straight port. Back in the day, a 3.5 Tflops GTX 970 would run every PS4 game at 1080p 60 fps despite its controversial 3.5 GB of split vram. Today I can run it at native 4k 90 fps (the capped max) at ultra settings and have like 25-30% of the GPU still left to be utilized. And that port was trashed by everyone as one of the worst PC ports ever.

Unlike the PS3 and PS5, there is no secret sauce in the PS4. The only thing I can think of is the extra ACEs Cerny added that helped with asynchronous compute but every Polaris card including the 580 should have the same number of ACEs.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Some pretty big changes there:
bA7tGQm.jpg
YXlNbt6.jpg

This reminds me of filmmaking and videography/photography in general. Real, factual scenes usually aren't the most appealing, so you see directors manipulating lights to get the best dramatical look to make them more impactful. In this case the PC version is the "true" scene with shades, but the PS4 version is more eye-pleasing as it was more artistically intentional than technical.

Last edited:

M1chl

I am surprised that a 6 tflops 580 and its Nvidia equivalent are struggling to hit 60 fps at 1080p using PS4 settings. They are over 3x more powerful than the 1.8 tflops PS4 without even taking into consideration the IPC gains, they have access to more RAM, and way better CPU than the shitty jaguar 1.6 ghz and 2.1 ghz CPUs in the PS4.

To me, this is just a bad port just like Horizon. I tried running Horizon at 1080p using original settings last night, and it topped out at like 85 FPS on a RTX 2080. Thats an 11.5 tflops card running the game on a 8 core 16 thread CPU that can hit 5.1 Ghz. And all I get is less than 3x more performance? Absolutely ridiculous.

It's clear they did the bare minimum porting this. It's a straight port. Back in the day, a 3.5 Tflops GTX 970 would run every PS4 game at 1080p 60 fps despite its controversial 3.5 GB of split vram. Today I can run it at native 4k 90 fps (the capped max) at ultra settings and have like 25-30% of the GPU still left to be utilized. And that port was trashed by everyone as one of the worst PC ports ever.

Unlike the PS3 and PS5, there is no secret sauce in the PS4. The only thing I can think of is the extra ACEs Cerny added that helped with asynchronous compute but every Polaris card including the 580 should have the same number of ACEs.
There are situations, when if you try to shoehorn new features on top of existing pipeline, you will ended up with tons of problems. Or if something like shadows using some unoptimized approach, then for full quality (what you expect on PC), you are paying ridiculous cost. It's done by external team, so I am not surprised at this. Hopefully next time Nixxes will be porting stuff to PC...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
This reminds me of filmmaking and videography in general. Real, factual scenes aren't the most appealing, so you see directors manipulating lights to get the best dramatical look to me make it more impactful. In this case the PC version is the "true" scene with shades, but the PS4 version is more eye-pleasing as it was more artistically intentional than technical.
Cool, next time I'll make sure to lower all settings so I get the best dramatical look.

Dude.

Top Bottom