• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War PC port to be done by Jetpack Interactive, Ragnarok also listed on Jetpack employee's profile

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/10/god-of-wars-2018-reboot-arrives-on-pc-in-january-2022/

Sony representatives have confirmed to Ars that this port is being "overseen" by its creators at Sony Santa Monica while otherwise handled by Jetpack Interactive, a port-focused studio based in Vancouver, BC.

Studio has done
  • ORCS MUST DIE! Unchained - Complete PS4 port of PC title
  • PLANT VS ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE II - Provided engineering support
  • NBA LIVE 14
    NBA LIVE 15
    NBA LIVE 16 - for all NBA lives they provided "Engineering, UI development, art, design, & project management support for all game modes"
  • DARK SOULS - Provided engineering support for Steam upgrade

Linkedin profile shows JPI employee has already listed Ragnarok on his resume. Could we see Ragnarok on PC in a smaller timeframe? Maybe they are being done in parallel?

S3prao.jpg

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Source: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/10/god-of-wars-2018-reboot-arrives-on-pc-in-january-2022/

Sony representatives have confirmed to Ars that this port is being "overseen" by its creators at Sony Santa Monica while otherwise handled by Jetpack Interactive, a port-focused studio based in Vancouver, BC.

Studio has done
  • NBA LIVE 14
    NBA LIVE 15
    NBA LIVE 16 - for all NBA lives they provided "Engineering, UI development, art, design, & project management support for all game modes"

Linkedin profile shows JPI employee has already listed Ragnarok on his resume. Could we see Ragnarok on PC in a smaller timeframe? Maybe they are being done in parallel?

S3prao.jpg
As much as it fuels wars here, I do not think raising the spectre of same day PS4/PS5/PC release for Ragnarök is correct.
The game itself is not finished yet and someone listing it in his resume like this now does not mean a whole lot (2019 sounds right for a support role to start helping out with the PC port and he makes no mention of the actual GoW project their company is shipping in a few months).

~2 years gap is still likely.

Last edited:

SpokkX

yeah that makes sense

Jim Ryan did say he wanted a bigger audience

i expect ps5 titles on pc within a year a few years into generation

i also expect many tears and whining - why? Because fanboys

Last edited:

tusharngf

i really like this approach from JIM RYAN. He understands the global market and he needs more audience for the content. For ex netflix has 200 million subscribers and that software can be accessed from almost all devices. Thats what he is targeting. You can always create content but you need to provide it to the huge userbase.

Kazza

I think there's a 99.9% chance that Ragnarok comes out on PC within 2 years of the PS5 version, and a 50% chance that it comes a year later. Those people consoling themselves that it'll only be PS4 games that will get ported to PC this gen are deluding themselves. Once the PS4 library has been burned through 4-5 years from now, then same day PC ports may be possible, but not before then.

All this PC port talk got me thinking about VFXVeteran VFXVeteran . Is he still about? I haven't noticed him posting in a while. It seems that a lot of his predictions are coming true.

skit_data

Just saw this, and it makes a lot more sense than SSM handling the port themselves.

I hope it will be a good port, the Horizon ZD port was so bad it probably impacted PC only players view of the game unfavorably.

Edit: Also on the subject of Ragnarök coming to PC as well:
I don’t really care if it comes within a year or two, its already a crossgen game built around PS4. No real harm in terms of not being able to target a single spec.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Thats probably because they're a support studio for the PS5 version of Ragnarok but a port will probably happen 2-3 years later.

Three

I think there's a 99.9% chance that Ragnarok comes out on PC within 2 years of the PS5 version, and a 50% chance that it comes a year later. Those people consoling themselves that it'll only be PS4 games that will get ported to PC this gen are deluding themselves. Once the PS4 library has been burned through 4-5 years from now, then same day PC ports may be possible, but not before then.

All this PC port talk got me thinking about VFXVeteran VFXVeteran . Is he still about? I haven't noticed him posting in a while. It seems that a lot of his predictions are coming true.
What prediction is that?

2 years seems reasonable but it just depends on the individual game's sales. Whenever it has saturated on console it will release on PC. Sony will release games on PC later in any case. It's their model because they prefer PS5 sales. MS treats PC gamepass less favourably too because they want to promote xbox sales. Consoles is where their bread and butter is, thier 30% and their online subscriptions.

Papacheeks

Banned
rFLLvcP.jpg

It seems so

Even a tired old horse is right once in a while. ANything thats cross gen will have PC version faster than something that was built from the ground up specifically for PS5 because PC still doesn't have Direct storage yet. So mostly all cross gen games I think we see within 12 months or so after PS5 launch.

PS5 only titles I can see 2-3 years after PS5 launch.

What prediction is that?

2 years seems reasonable but it just depends on the individual game's sales. Whenever it has saturated on console it will release on PC. Sony will release games on PC later in any case. It's their model because they prefer PS5 sales. MS treats PC gamepass less favourably too because they want to promote xbox sales. Consoles is where their bread and butter is, thier 30% and their online subscriptions.

I think it's release/sales on console plus if the game is codded for PS4. If thats the case for the title then you have a easier time porting it over to PC as the lowest common denominator is HDD. For a PS5 only title it depends on how much the game/developer leverages the SSD throughout put.

If it leverages it heavily then they will need PC's with NVME'S and direct storage needs to be used to get the same effect. ANd currently there's no date on that from Nvidia/AMD and Microsoft.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well it makes sense they'd worked with the original team on the sequel before taking on the port of the original on their own.

Akuji

Buisness wise i think about 2 years after console release, a pc Port doesnt damage anything anymore.

U get the fanboy outrage initially but it will slow down and eventually be gone.
I wont wait 2 years for god of war to be able to play it. And to be honest we reached a performance Level with the ps5 that i dont ever see myself waiting because demon souls 60fps Mode just isnt good enough for me. As long as the games are polished and have a 60fps option ( and 120 next gen ) iam happy and dont need my computer for Controller games. I downgraded from a 3900x/3080 to a g15 advantage edition Laptop recently and dont feel any need to go back to Desktop anytime soon.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
These games have got to start coming to pc sooner. Think about it, after Got and last of us 1 and 2....and more importantly bloodborne there is like returnal, ratchet and demons souls to port. They can't drag that out for 3 years

Papacheeks

Banned
These games have got to start coming to pc sooner. Think about it, after Got and last of us 1 and 2....and more importantly bloodborne there is like returnal, ratchet and demons souls to port. They can't drag that out for 3 years

Returnal runs on modified Unreal 4 engine so I can see that sooner than later. Demons souls utilizes the SSD, so I don't know how much it leverages the throughoutput on PS5. If it leans on it a good amount then if they want the expierence to be on par with PS5 in terms of no load times. They have to wait for direct storage api. SO I think anything that started engine wise or project wise on PS4/PC they can port pretty easily. WHich is why that Nvidia leak showed a lot of cross gen titles coming soon. Those have to target PS4 as well so now you can port those easily because your not leaning on JUST PS5 hardware.

So your game profile internally you are building starts at base PS4 and scales. So FOrbidden west, Ragnorok, GT7, returnal coming sooner. But I think games like Demons souls, Ratchet, would need some trickery unless they are waiting for PC to get Direct storage which basically makes a similar solution to what Sony has for fast asset streaming.

Ezekiel_

Banned

Ragnarok is cross-gen though, so we are still talking about PS4 games being ported to PC.

Papacheeks

Banned
Should’ve bundled them together

You know what, just thought of something. If Sony wants to get residuals, imagine packing a steam key in with PS5 version if you pay for digital deluxe? So it's 80+ but your getting the PS5 version and the PC version that gets linked?

Imagine the sales they would make for PS5? Then offer it the regular way on steam for $50 for those who only have PC.

That would move large amounts of PS5 higher priced software.

mejin

At least a year.

Someday you'll be right is not exactly a prediction you know.

MonarchJT

Banned

Studio has done
  • NBA LIVE 14
    NBA LIVE 15

S3prao.jpg
going forward we will see not only in a smaller timeframe but i also thinks at day one releases. at this point only the blind do not want to see

odhiex

It (GoW Ragnarok) will come to PC, but the question is when? I guess it would be 24 months (maximum) from the console's releases.

Last edited:

KRYPT83

This is how Sony fleeces there audience. They will repackage the game as a directors cut and pc version on 1 yr anniversaries. Give them time it will be day and date closer to the end of this gen

KAL2006

Banned
I'm guessing 2 years which is similar timeframe as Days Gone.

They will try and get double dippers as well as let sales drop a bit off before releasing PC version.

Year 1 is full price sale for people who buy day 1 or within a year.
Year 2 is to continue to sell game but have a few sales on the game to get more people checking it out.
Year 3 PC release for new audience and double dippers.

splattered

Why do you think they are investigating in PC porting companies? Soon all Sony 1st party games will be released within a year of release, then 6 months, then day and date. It's inevitable.

Kilau

Gold Member
Sony really needs to get on the play anywhere, day and date train.

All you guys in here salivating over upset fanboys are no better than them.

ARK1391

I would guess they are a support studio on the project. Which would make sense with them porting GoW 2016 to PC. All goes well they most likely get the keys to port Ragnarok as well down the line.

yurinka

Nah, pretty likely they simply added some of their extra PC related extra stuff like DLSS and so on to Ragnarok so they have it already there for when they decide to port it in 3 or 4 years from now. Or maybe in addition to port GoW 2018 to PC they are one of the many outsourcing teams for Ragnarok that all AAA games have.

Sony decides to wait over 2 years to release them in PC due to strategic reasons of keeping their games as exclusive for a while, which doesn't mean these games are ported then. Maybe the games were already ported way before, but before releasing them they wait until the game sold all the units they consider on PS, they included it on PS Plus and PS Now, discounted it etc. and also wait for a certain launch window that is favorable combined with the other 1st party releases and big 3rd party releases before releasing the port.

Last edited:
If its announced that its coming day and date. This site will need a whole lot of copium
I think they are doing this slowly until they reached a certain number of PS5 sales. They could make much more money with day1 pc ports since Sony spends absolutely insane amounts of money on marketing their AAAs and marketing obviously sells.

People still act surprised and make threads about every first party title headed towards PC. They all will at some point. Source: Sony. The company outlined its strategy some time ago, publicly. PS IPs will expand to PC and mobile, and that's a good thing.
Actually, relieved to hear that SSM is not wasting manpower on the porting process. Sony should acquire one or two North-American based studios such as Jetpack Interactive so that their own internal teams concentrate on what they do best.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
You know what, just thought of something. If Sony wants to get residuals, imagine packing a steam key in with PS5 version if you pay for digital deluxe? So it's 80+ but your getting the PS5 version and the PC version that gets linked?

Imagine the sales they would make for PS5? Then offer it the regular way on steam for $50 for those who only have PC.

That would move large amounts of PS5 higher priced software.
Why would they pack in a steam key and give back the money of the up sell to Gabe? Why do people think Gabe is entitled to his cut of any game sold 🤔.

SSfox

Why do you think they are investigating in PC porting companies? Soon all Sony 1st party games will be released within a year of release, then 6 months, then day and date. It's inevitable.
I was saying this since a while now. Let naive people think it will be just for "muh old games muh", Hermen Hulst will soon be porting more PS games in PC than even Xbox ever did.

On Demand

Banned
People still act surprised and make threads about every first party title headed towards PC. They all will at some point. Source: Sony. The company outlined its strategy some time ago, publicly. PS IPs will expand to PC and mobile, and that's a good thing.
Actually, relieved to hear that SSM is not wasting manpower on the porting process. Sony should acquire one or two North-American based studios such as Jetpack Interactive so that their own internal teams concentrate on what they do best.

And why do you think that is?

It’s Sony fault for not being clear on their PC support. Every interview they say something different. There’s no solid plan or release schedule. Just random drops out of nowhere then silence for half the year then another game shows up.

All this leaves people to keep speculating and port begging.

If they would outline their plans and game releases no one would need to keep guessing and digging through leaks developer job listings to know what games are coming.

Sony does this on purpose. Keep console gamers thinking games are exclusive and PC games salivating. This company has been lying and untransparent since the PS5 launch when the kept the cross generation PS4 games a secret until the last minute.

Top Bottom