• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War PC port to be done by Jetpack Interactive, Ragnarok also listed on Jetpack employee's profile

Papacheeks

Banned
And why do you think that is?

It’s Sony fault for not being clear on their PC support. Every interview they say something different. There’s no solid plan or release schedule. Just random drops out of nowhere then silence for half the year then another game shows up.

All this leaves people to keep speculating and port begging.

If they would outline their plans and game releases no one would need to keep guessing and digging through leaks developer job listings to know what games are coming.

Sony does this on purpose. Keep console gamers thinking games are exclusive and PC games salivating. This company has been lying and untransparent since the PS5 launch when the kept the cross generation PS4 games a secret until the last minute.

It's under promising and over delivering. Every one of their drops has sold well on PC so far. God of war will sell gangbusters. It creates anticipation. Nintendo does the same thing, and when they are close to a game's release that year they make an announcement and drop it couple months later.

Sony is in a different position compared to Microsoft. Their brand of games is sought after highly.

Sentenza

Ready To Go GIF by iskra
200.gif

MrFunSocks

Banned
Personally thinking its a mistake but that would be funny to see the reactions
You don’t generally make a mistake like saying you’re working on the wrong game on your CV lol.

It’s Sony fault for not being clear on their PC support. Every interview they say something different. There’s no solid plan or release schedule. Just random drops out of nowhere then silence for half the year then another game shows up.

If they would outline their plans and game releases no one would need to keep guessing and digging through leaks developer job listings to know what games are coming.

Sony does this on purpose. Keep console gamers thinking games are exclusive and PC games salivating. This company has been lying and untransparent since the PS5 launch when the kept the cross generation PS4 games a secret until the last minute.
It’s not Sony’s fault, it’s still the dumb people that fanboy and think that it’ll hurt PlayStation’s faults.

In the same way that it’s not Microsoft’s fault that people still think they’re going to be playing starfield and doom 3 and Elder scrolls 6 and the like on their PS5, it’s not Sonys fault if people - quite ironically the same people listed just now - still think they won’t release all their games on PC. Those people are just dumb fanboys.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
It's under promising and over delivering. Every one of their drops has sold well on PC so far. God of war will sell gangbusters. It creates anticipation. Nintendo does the same thing, and when they are close to a game's release that year they make an announcement and drop it couple months later.

Sony is in a different position compared to Microsoft. Their brand of games is sought after highly.

Do you work and get paid for by Sony? I don’t care about their sneaky bullshit strategy of tricking consumers.

Be more open about what games are coming to PC so people can make a decision beforehand on what platform to buy the game. But they won’t and we know the reason why.

reksveks

You don’t generally make a mistake like saying you’re working on the wrong game on your CV lol.
On LinkedIn, I have had ex-colleagues whom forgot to end their time at their previous company so it looked like that they were are at two places. I do think it's harder though to be a mistake.

On Demand

Banned
Personally thinking its a mistake but that would be funny to see the reactions

Not a mistake. Sony had support studios work on Horizon and God Of War for PS4. A lot of them.

These studios aren’t just there for PC ports. It’s development in general.

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Do you work and get paid for by Sony? I don’t care about their sneaky bullshit strategy of tricking consumers.

Be more open about what games are coming to PC so people can make a decision beforehand on what platform to buy the game. But they won’t and we know the reason why.

Well they are trying to sell a console? Microsoft is not focusing on console and more on ecosystem. Sony invests heavily in R&D, and in their own brand of VR. SO for them its much different in approach. I see what you mean in terms of transparent.

But also I would want the PC version at least finished before they show it in some form. Just my outlook anyway.

Yeah, no. This only exists in the minds of the fanboys. Take a look at their annual reports and read about their strategy going forward; There is no ambiguity at all. The only thing that they -Sony- are struggling with is the timing of the ports. They, themselves are still unsure as to when exactly they should be launching them: A year, a year and a half...two years after the fact? Maybe a simultaneous release at some point? The modalities are still being discussed, but the objective has already been expressed loud and clear: Seeking additional segments for their titles.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
On LinkedIn, I have had ex-colleagues whom forgot to end their time at their previous company so it looked like that they were are at two places. I do think it's harder though to be a mistake.
I’m guessing they didn’t accidentally add the name of the wrong company that they just joined though, did they? Haha

they didn’t get a job at Nike but accidentally wrote adidas on LinkedIn.

On Demand

Banned
Well they are trying to sell a console? Microsoft is not focusing on console and more on ecosystem. Sony invests heavily in R&D, and in their own brand of VR. SO for them its much different in approach. I see what you mean in terms of transparent.

But also I would want the PC version at least finished before they show it in some form. Just my outlook anyway.

So you support them purposely not being clear because they want to sell PS5 hardware while at the same time want to sell on PC. Great I guess.

I was saying this since a while now. Let naive people think it will be just for "muh old games muh", Hermen Hulst will soon be porting more PS games in PC than even Xbox ever did.

Makes no sense at all since gamepass is a,PC service. All MS titles launch on PC. How would Sony beat them exactly? By developing PC exclusive games?

Papacheeks

Banned
So you support them purposely not being clear because they want to sell PS5 hardware while at the same time want to sell on PC. Great I guess.

What is your deal? Playstation is as big as a brand as Nintendo? They also dont have trillion dollar company backing them where if PLaystation failed they can shrugg it off. Their console needs to sell, games need to sell, the division needs to make money any way it can. Via PSN, Steam, Retail.

If you dont like it then dont buy a PS5 or Playstation. As someone who has had Gamepass, has a gaming PC and laptop.

If you don't like the way they do business then dont support it I guess? I buy what I like, I enjoy using the Dual sense. So I more than likely am Fine double dipping when Steam has a sale. I literally bought both Days Gone and Horizon for $20?

On Demand

Banned
Yeah, no. This only exists in the minds of the fanboys. Take a look at their annual reports and read about their strategy going forward; There is no ambiguity at all. The only thing that they -Sony- are struggling with is the timing of the ports. They, themselves are still unsure as to when exactly they should be launching them: A year, a year and a half...two years after the fact? Maybe a simultaneous release at some point? The modalities are still being discussed, but the objective has already been expressed loud and clear: Seeking additional segments for their titles.

Sounds like more excuses to me.

Sony has been planing their PC support since Shawn Layden was president of SIE. They know what they’re doing. They know what games are coming. They supposedly even know the time frames of PS5 games to PC. Then there’s the nvidia leak that listed a ton of games.

None of this sounds like they’re still figuring out how to support PC. They’re a billion dollar corporation that have been planning this for years. The only other conclusion is they’re being misleading on purpose.

Topher

Gold Member
A moment of silence for Bryank75 Bryank75 and the pain he is going through right now.

world cup qualifying team GIF by U.S. Soccer Federation

None of this sounds like they’re still figuring out how to support PC. They’re a billion dollar corporation that have been planning this for years. The only other conclusion is they’re being misleading on purpose.

How is any of this "misleading"? Withholding information on their full plans for ports to PC is not "misleading".

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
What is your deal? Playstation is as big as a brand as Nintendo? They also dont have trillion dollar company backing them where if PLaystation failed they can shrugg it off. Their console needs to sell, games need to sell, the division needs to make money any way it can. Via PSN, Steam, Retail.

If you dont like it then dont buy a PS5 or Playstation. As someone who has had Gamepass, has a gaming PC and laptop.

If you don't like the way they do business then dont support it I guess? I buy what I like, I enjoy using the Dual sense. So I more than likely am Fine double dipping when Steam has a sale. I literally bought both Days Gone and Horizon for $20?

I don’t care about any of that.

They’ve opened up Pandora’s box with changing their exclusivity strategy in 27 years so it’s up to them to figure out how to deal with it.

I as a consumer don’t like being dragged along and lied to. I expect them to be more up front about their PC plans and let us make our own choice on where to buy their games. Don’t try and fool me into thinking a game is exclusive when it’s not.

MS doesn’t go trough any of this nonsense since we know all their games are on PC day one.

CheeseCake

Source: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/10/god-of-wars-2018-reboot-arrives-on-pc-in-january-2022/

Sony representatives have confirmed to Ars that this port is being "overseen" by its creators at Sony Santa Monica while otherwise handled by Jetpack Interactive, a port-focused studio based in Vancouver, BC.

Studio has done
  • ORCS MUST DIE! Unchained - Complete PS4 port of PC title
  • PLANT VS ZOMBIES: GARDEN WARFARE II - Provided engineering support
  • NBA LIVE 14
    NBA LIVE 15
    NBA LIVE 16 - for all NBA lives they provided "Engineering, UI development, art, design, & project management support for all game modes"
  • DARK SOULS - Provided engineering support for Steam upgrade

Linkedin profile shows JPI employee has already listed Ragnarok on his resume. Could we see Ragnarok on PC in a smaller timeframe? Maybe they are being done in parallel?

S3prao.jpg

Man the thirst for more ps exclusives on PC is pretty insane lol...

Lognor

Banned
Nice! Hope it's true.

I plan on finally checking out God of War when it gets a discount on PC, but if it's as good as people say then I'll definitely want to check out Ragnorak when it releases on PC

Lognor

Banned
Man the thirst for more ps exclusives on PC is pretty insane lol...
Yeah, why not? Do you not recall when MS announced that every Xbox game would come to PC and the excitement that created? And do you not think we would see a similar reaction if Nintendo started releasing games on PC? PC gamers want the games without the need to buy consoles. It's that simple.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Sony has been planing their PC support since Shawn Layden was president of SIE. They know what they’re doing. They know what games are coming. They supposedly even know the time frames of PS5 games to PC. Then there’s the nvidia leak that listed a ton of games.

100% true.

Only the past year or so when Horizon ZD got announced and launched did all the PC focus come about, but it is still sketchy which games and timing. To dig into more details people have had to scope out investors relations powerpoint slides to see stuff about an Uncharted 4 logo on the PC slide, and people had to guess whether that was true or just a generic franchise logo put there. Turns out it was true. Sony is more honest to investors on company slides than to their own gamers.

Before Horizon, there was zero PC gaming mentioned, but as you said it was always being planned in the background.

Last edited:

What an idiotic take, sorry! They could not care less what a few thousand people on forums shout about if their business flourishes and if their user-base grows larger. They are still figuring out how to transition their business model without hurting the current one, and will be doing so throughout the generation. Sony started dipping their toes and realized they would get a high ROI targetting PC players. Good for them! Now they do not want to abondon a period of consoles exclusivity as it might make the investment in a PS5 less attractive for a certain segment...might...because I am not sure that the markets overlap that much, frankly. My friends would never go PC, for example, no matter when 1st party Sony games hit the platform. We just prefer the immediacy and ease of use of consoles.
Anyway, Sony knows that they want to port their games...But I bet you they are still crunching the numbers trying to figure out what the ideal release window should be. That is understandable given that their ecosystem is not PC oriented ala MS; They do not have their own store for a starter.
So, no, Sony is not engaged in a conspiracy to hide things from you, because that would be the most useless effort ever: They already declared their intent lowd and clear. How that materializes (time table, porting teams...) is still being worked on. Simple as that.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I seriously doubt that Sony will ever release games on PC on day one.
Their current strategy is to increase sales and revenue. And, at the same time, to increase brand awareness by allowing more gamers to try their older games.

Even God of War will be released on PC, almost 3 years later than on the PS4. This is close to half the time of a generation.

Papacheeks

Banned
I don’t care about any of that.

They’ve opened up Pandora’s box with changing their exclusivity strategy in 27 years so it’s up to them to figure out how to deal with it.

I as a consumer don’t like being dragged along and lied to. I expect them to be more up front about their PC plans and let us make our own choice on where to buy their games. Don’t try and fool me into thinking a game is exclusive when it’s not.

MS doesn’t go trough any of this nonsense since we know all their games are on PC day one.

Ok, so there it is. I can now put you on ignore. You are outraged that Sony doesn't tell you all their plans because Microsoft is so transparent?

To ignore you go.

On Demand

Banned
What an idiotic take, sorry! They could not care less what a few thousand people on forums shout about if their business flourishes and if their user-base grows larger. They are still figuring out how to transition their business model without hurting the current one, and will be doing so throughout the generation. Sony started dipping their toes and realized they would get a high ROI targetting PC players. Good for them! Now they do not want to abondon a period of consoles exclusivity as it might make the investment in a PS5 less attractive for a certain segment...might...because I am not sure that the markets overlap that much, frankly. My friends would never go PC, for example, no matter when 1st party Sony games hit the platform. We just prefer the immediacy and ease of use of consoles.
Anyway, Sony knows that they want to port their games...But I bet you they are still crunching the numbers trying to figure out what the ideal release window should be. That is understandable given that their ecosystem is not PC oriented ala MS; They do not have their own store for a starter.
So, no, Sony is not engaged in a conspiracy to hide things from you, because that would be the most useless effort ever: They already declared their intent lowd and clear. How that materializes (time table, porting teams...) is still being worked on. Simple as that.

I’m sure they were also still novicely trying figure out the business in how to transition those PS5 exclusive launch games to PS4 when they announced them a month before PS5 launch.

Surprise! 🤡 🤡

CheeseCake

Anyway, this just sounds like general development. It doesn't mean Ragnarok is being developed for PC. Plenty of other studios offered PS4 games help in the past. ( see Nixes with guerrila for Killzone ShadowFall)

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I certainly feel it's possible that we'll see PC ports of Horizons and God of War sequels in a smaller time frame. Especially compared to the time it took to get the ports of the first games on PC.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol I was told by gaffers Ragnorak and newer games wont get ported for 3-4 years. Come on guys. Dont be so gullible. This is business.

yurinka

Why do you think they are investigating in PC porting companies? Soon all Sony 1st party games will be released within a year of release, then 6 months, then day and date. It's inevitable.
Jim Ryan did say he wanted a bigger audience
Which "gaffer" told you that?
Jimbo got the flavor for PC gamers. Nothing can stop the hunger!

Jimbo and Hermen also said multiple times -basically in almost all interviews where they did talk about PC ports- that they will continue focusing on releasing their games only on PS5 only launch, that releasing some PC ports doesn't mean they will release all their games on PC and that they don't plan to release them day one on PC (that would negatively affect PS5 sales/PSN revenue, which is Sony's biggest revenue and profit source).

If they release some game day one on PC will be MLB due to contractual obligations and a few GaaS title, which will represent a tiny portion of their exclusives catalog.

They bought a PC porting studio because they don't want to wast resources of their main gamedev teams with PC ports or multiplatform development: they want to have them focused on making games for PS. And then some other, separate team(s) will adapt/port them to PC. That Ragnarok LinkIn profile very likely only means that they added the extra stuff for PC of the first GoW to its engine so its sequel could use it in the future when or if they release it on PC somewhere in the future, doesn't mean they plan to release it soon.

With wanting a bigger audience he meant to sell more PS5s, to release ports of old games to PC, to use their PS IPs on mobile games, movies and tv shows and to stream PS games to PC, mobile or smartvs via PS Now.

People still act surprised and make threads about every first party title headed towards PC. They all will at some point. Source: Sony.
Not true. What Sony said publicly said multiple times is that will port some of their games to PC, not all. They also said to don't expect them to release them day one or close to the original launch on PC outside MLB and maybe a handful of specific GaaS cases.

Ragnarok will release on PC even faster than the first. Once they get a taste of that money its over. The longer they stagger the release, they know PC users won't pay full price for it. The reason GOW is only $50. They want full price.
I think that faster yes, but still far from the original PS release.

Maybe 2-3 years instead of almost 4 years. They saw that with preorders alone they did hit Steam's top 1 and will be an almost 4 years old game. And very likely will sell more than Days Gone, Death Stranding and Horizon, which until now (will continue selling more) sold around 2M copies on PC.

But their main revenue and profit source is PSN 3rd party content, which makes way more money than 1st party games. They won't risk selling PlayStations/making money with PSN just to sell a few millions copies more of their games on PC, specially considering they have to give 30% of their revenue there to Steam. They will continue having a safe distance between original PS4/PS5 release and PC port release.

Last edited:
The games will come in a way shorter time is my prediction. There are so many games pc gamers are playing that the wait is literally meaningless to them.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Sony has no reason to accelerate their roll-out on PC.

One maybe 2 releases a year because they have nothing to gain from dumping a load of product on PC in a smaller time-frame. They'll slowly drop the remaining PS4 back catalogue over the next few years, by which time any PS5 title will have been released, re-released, and likely been added to PS+.

To be honest I'd say its more likely we'll see PS3-era titles ported to PC and PS5 before any true PS5 exclusive ending up on PC.

Papacheeks

Banned

One maybe 2 releases a year because they have nothing to gain from dumping a load of product on PC in a smaller time-frame. They'll slowly drop the remaining PS4 back catalogue over the next few years, by which time any PS5 title will have been released, re-released, and likely been added to PS+.

To be honest I'd say its more likely we'll see PS3-era titles ported to PC and PS5 before any true PS5 exclusive ending up on PC.

I still believe its going to be specific titles.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!

GIF by Showtime

yurinka

Only in your dreams.

They won't kill PS5 sales and its related PSN revenue -the main revenue and profit souce of their corporation- to have a few extra sales of the main selling point of that product on a different platform they don't control and where they pay a revenue share to somebody else else. Their goal will continue being to sell as many PS5 as they can and as much PSN content they can.

They will continue porting only some of their games, not all, to PC releasing them some years after its original launch on PS. Only a few GaaS will debut day one on PC.

If smart, somewhere in the future they may merge PS Now, Remote Play, PSN store (that would include PC sales), PSN messaging etc and a PC games launcher on a single PS PC app and to start releasing games there to keep for them the full revenue of at least a small portion of their PC sales, and may include 3rd party multiplatform games in their PC store too. But that store would have a small PC market share so it wouldn't make sense to keep their games exclusive there, so maybe this is the reason of why they sell their games on Steam and Epic Store intsead.

I think it makes sense to increase their output of PC ports of old games to a half a dozen or a maybe slightly more games per year. To keep these games 2-4 years on PS making there all the money they can at full price, then discounted and then with PS Plus and PS Now. Once they don't generate money anymore, if they think it has potential of selling several millions of units on PC, they make the port but always keeping some games as exclusive forever on PS.

I'd do that with their main PS4 releases and also with PS5+PC remasters/remakes of their main PS3 titles that still aren't on PS4/PS5 (Killzone collection, Motorstorm Collection etc). And then once they are done with all their PS3+PS4 (including PS4+PS5 crossgen games) then they'd move to port to PC some of their PS5 only games. PS5 only games would release on PC 2-5 years later than in PS5, giving enough time first to don't negatively affect PS5 and PSN sales (the top Sony priority) will still getting extra revenue and fans from PC and also getting enoug time to see PC hardware going down to a point that PS5 like PC harware becomes the standard and not a tiny niche as tthey are now.

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Only in your dreams.

They won't kill PS5 sales and its related PSN revenue -the main revenue and profit souce of their corporation- to have a few extra sales of the main selling point of that product on a different platform they don't control and where they pay a revenue share to somebody else else. Their goal will continue being to sell as many PS5 as they can and as much PSN content they can.

They will continue porting only some of their games, not all, to PC releasing them some years after its original launch on PS. Only a few GaaS will debut day one on PC.

If smart, somewhere in the future they may merge PS Now, Remote Play, PSN store (that would include PC sales), PSN messaging etc and a PC games launcher on a single PS PC app and to start releasing games there to keep for them the full revenue of at least a small portion of their PC sales, and may include 3rd party multiplatform games in their PC store too. But that store would have a small PC market share so it wouldn't make sense to keep their games exclusive there, so maybe this is the reason of why they sell their games on Steam and Epic Store intsead.

quoted for posterity

Gonna be interesting if that "shorter staggered window" between PS5 and PC for 1P titles happens sooner rather than later. Like I was thinking before, probably look at 1-year, maybe 2-year staggers between them, I just didn't think it would involve IP like God of War so soon. Wonder what that potentially says for Spider-Man...

Day-and-date PS5/PC is still likely out of the question, except maybe for purely MP-centric 1P games, especially if they're F2P/GaaS types. Wouldn't want to handicap one part of the community because that type of game hits their platform later, y'know.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

You're assuming a sale on PC is worth the same to them as a sale on PS5, when it obviously isn't. Especially when a lot of these titles have no inbuilt monetization and are one-and-done sales.

If there are subsidiary revenue streams, then potentially they can push the timing up, but I cannot see them sacrificing USP's on their flagship platform for lower revenue per-unit on PC. It makes zero business sense.

You're assuming a sale on PC is worth the same to them as a sale on PS5, when it obviously isn't. Especially when a lot of these titles have no inbuilt monetization and are one-and-done sales.

If there are subsidiary revenue streams, then potentially they can push the timing up, but I cannot see them sacrificing USP's on their flagship platform for lower revenue per-unit on PC. It makes zero business sense.
TBF, Sony themselves have said the PC ports cost them very little to make, and they're selling them for pretty good MSRP ($40/$50) there. Even after Valve takes their 30% cut, the rest is pure revenue for Sony since no brick-and-mortar is involved.

Also worth pointing out that not all, say, 19.5 million of GoW's PS sales for example, were at full MSRP. Also not sure if they count downloads for it from say PS Collection into that figure; pack-ins as part of specific SKUs would count towards that number however.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Them buying it at the higher mark up compensates for it, and makes it that they use solely PSN.
Yes a 20 dollar mark up that many already pay 😆 is totally going to make up for lord gaben's cut and lost 50-'70 dollars sale. There is a reason play anywhere is not on steam for Microsoft. They are not a charity for lord gaben's next Lamborghini.

Akhawi

Banned
All PS exclusives will launch day and date on PC eventually so Sony should just make it official right now and get it over with. Sony is just crippling their sales by doing a delayed PC launch and the PC version is also missing out on the massive marketing campaigns the console version get at launch.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I would think cross-gen games are an eventual given over time. This is still a PS4 game at it's core as well, after all.

PS5 games? Direct storage will need to be more of a thing for select first party games tying design into the I/O me thinks.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
TBF, Sony themselves have said the PC ports cost them very little to make, and they're selling them for pretty good MSRP ($40/$50) there. Even after Valve takes their 30% cut, the rest is pure revenue for Sony since no brick-and-mortar is involved.

Also worth pointing out that not all, say, 19.5 million of GoW's PS sales for example, were at full MSRP. Also not sure if they count downloads for it from say PS Collection into that figure; pack-ins as part of specific SKUs would count towards that number however.

If they didn't see the value in having strong first-party titles to drive hardware sales and in so doing uplift their entire digital ecosystem these games wouldn't exist in the first place!

A one year holdover for third-party content is acceptable because its a shared risk. Lowering the threshold for first-party to the same or less basically surrenders all advantage from self-developing.

It needs to be understood that release cadence is everything. If the flow of product falters, market/mindshare drops and marketing needs to be stepped up to recover it. Release timescales are beholden to development cycles, and first-party dev is dependent upon production capacity. Its a long chain of logistical dependency that needs to be managed, because although it is possible to look "outside" to plug gaps, its expensive and risky because its less controllable.

For this reason PC rollout needs to follow a similar cadence to that on Playstation itself. The gap (or offset if you will) needs to be maintained in order to prevent one or both from running out of road.

Papacheeks

Banned
All PS exclusives will launch day and date on PC eventually so Sony should just make it official right now and get it over with. Sony is just crippling their sales by doing a delayed PC launch and the PC version is also missing out on the massive marketing campaigns the console version get at launch.

They are not crippling anything. It's almost like you live in an alternate reality where Playstation doesnt need console sales, retail, and digital sales for the division to profit so they can continue investing in some of the most expensive games?

They need hardware to sell, they want to sell you accessories, PS+ SUBS, PSVR. PC is an added bonus for getting extra revenue on games that are either popular or may get a second chance to find a audience. Like Days gone, Death Stranding.

Top Bottom