• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War (PC) - Review Thread

Mister Wolf

This is kind of weird and I'm coming from having a 3090. I'm well aware of what we have on the PC side and welcome the ability to play things at different resolutions and make concessions for higher performance. But the fact of the matter is that this game of the year and highly regarding game played just fine I'd lesser performance so just to have all the improvements at a solid 60 is good enough as the standard with this game was never anything higher given the console base.

Now if we were talking this being a PC game with 120hz+ performance as the barometer then you could argue that going to 60 you might be a little bit unacceptable. But for me given that I'm pretty fair about these things, locking this at a rock solid 60 frames a 4K is more than satisfying.

Nothing weird about it. I don't feel the need to run 4K. 75-90% of 4K is fine for me sitting 6-7 feet away from a 65" TV. Be it through a custom resolution i created or an internal resolution scaler. I dont see what's so hard to comprehend about that.

Last edited:

Cryio

I've been tempted by this God of War ever since ... 2018. But I'm barely 50% through God of War 1 (2005). Long way to go until I get to this one.

Somehow God of War 2005 is less appealing to me than say ... Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy, Devil May Cry or Darksiders.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Nothing weird about it. I don't feel the need to run 4K. 75-90% of 4K is fine for me sitting 6-7 feet away from a 65" TV. Be it through a custom resolution i created or an internal resolution scaler. I dont see what's so hard to comprehend about that.
I'll give you credit for elaborating a little more and clearly my response was in the hopes of you giving me some more composition. But at somebody that has either similar or Superior hardware I can tell you that or what this game has set doesn't necessarily prepare me for something vastly Superior in terms of the actual frame rate. Now do I expect better load times and assets and clarity and all sorts of good stuff from thus version? Yes.

DeaDPo0L84

It got some nice upgrades shadows, SSR, better draw distance,... and that 4k makes kratos look like Kratos in GOW:Ragnarok

Es1CPaa.jpg

fj40vXo.jpg

XP6YqTM.jpg

SLtmY30.jpg
Damn that looks sharp as fuck, worth the $36 price of entry.

Here's my review in Spanish (10/10) plus a DLSS Vs FSR Comparison: https://www.pcmrace.com/2022/01/12/god-of-war-review/

Since everyone seems to be publishing their gameplay videos, here is some of my mine at 4K/Max Settings without hud, overlay or subtitles.

Great stuff, but watching this made me realize I don't want to play it. Nothing draws me to this game. FOV is so tiny, elder scrolls like barebones combat, animations looks horrific in this age, add to the mix the fact that you're being forced to be a nanny makes whole package repulsive.

Pey.

Great stuff, but watching this made me realize I don't want to play it. Nothing draws me to this game. FOV is so tiny, elder scrolls like barebones combat, animations looks horrific in this age, add to the mix the fact that you're being forced to be a nanny makes whole package repulsive.

I thought the same about FOV when I saw it on consoles, but I assure you the camera angle is just perfect, and had no issues playing it with keyboard and mouse.

rofif

Banned
Wonder if PS5 owners will get any of these upgrades.
what upgrades?
It is a tiny bit sharper and there are more shadows.
... I was hoping for more since pc should offer more.

It looks better and refined. But it's not like 360 vs pc games where textures appear out of the mud.
It is a slight upgrade.

btw - 3080 dropping below 60fps at 4k without DLSS? I was not expecting that

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
It makes sense to go with Original settings as they should be the most optimized. Settgings not targeted for console are usually for PC users to bruteforce. So Original settings with Ultra textures and 16x AF should be the best tradeoff between IQ and performance.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Not sure about nosferatu93 since he only has 79 posts, but Rivet dropping laughing emojis on posts critical of PlayStation is kind of his thing. He doesn't engage people in a genuine way.
What a weird guy, and im not even saying bad things about the PS5 version. All i said was that the game is heavy even on high end pc and the game goes even below 60 with those upgrades.

Its just a smiley really wtf? I could care less about fucking smileys. Guess you are a kid since your carton avatar,. Tip its just a smiley thats it.
I was just wondering what was so funny about my post. You start shitting on the RTX 3080 ti prices randomly and react with a smiley face on my post as if you where offended that i said that the PS5 can't run the game as good as a high end pc. And im 28 btw :messenger_tears_of_joy:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Glad to be reading the port is good! Hopefully all the upcoming Sony games get the same treatment.

Is it really that good? Wasn't planning on playing it but if it's that good idk.
Do it if you like good games. It has it flaws, like an almost lack of bosses and a leveling system that feels out of place. But aside from that it's a great adventure game: cool set pieces, great combat, nice pacing and 0 filler.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, the “feature” that excites me most about this release is modding.

I can’t wait to see what QoL options the community will (hopefully) bring, like armor/skin mods or unlimited runic cooldown.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Will deffo pick this up at some point for the steam collection but I platinumed it on the ps4 pro.

amazing game and hopefully tons of pc players buy it day one!

tassletine

I hope the squal improves the layout of the map and streamlines the menu systems, it doesn't need to be an RPG there does not have to be like 100 different upgradables and menus.

I hope this happens because it would turn a very good game into a great one.
I agree. There was some pretty clunky stuff in there. It was so slow moving between battles.

Guilty_AI

Is it really that good? Wasn't planning on playing it but if it's that good idk.
I didn't like it all that much and couldn't bring myself to finish it (played about halfway through), many others share my feelings.

Its not a bad game per say, its just nothing in it stood out for me.
Story was ok but didn't feel particularly great, there are definitely other games out there with stronger and more fleshed out stories, even ones with similar thematics.
Combat has its strong points but its also flawed in many ways. I wouldn't recommend it for the gameplay alone either, especially with all the long unskippable walk and talk moments.

That said obviously many people liked it, can't speak for them since i don't know exactly why they enjoyed it. Just letting you be aware that this isn't a "sure-to-love" game as many would have you believe, i suggest doing some more research on it before deciding if its for you or not.

Last edited:

Rivet

I don't get it, whats so funny about my post? A RTX 3080 goes below 60 at 4k at max settings do you guys think that the PS5 is stronger than a RTX 3080?
Rivet Rivet N nosferatu93

It's a PS4 game, not a PS5 game. The 100 Mb PS5 patch basically only unlocks framerate on PS4 version... We won't know what PS5 could do here, but it was developed exclusively for PlayStation so they could be probably improve it a lot on PS5...

It's a very good looking 2018 game, it's still looking very good, but it's a 2018 game. We obviously have games looking better on PS5 now like Demon's Souls remake or Ratchet, so there's no reason GoW couldn't look better on PS5 than the PS4 version it runs now. That's why I laughed at "The PS5 is not strong enough to offer those upgrades."

Of course a 2022 PC version can look a bit better than a 2018 PS4 version of the same game. The opposite would be a shameful port.

Last edited:
Top Bottom