• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War (PC) - Review Thread

I have not run into any issues with PC version of HZD. It is completely a superior version of the PS4 as I can play the game at 4k > 90FPS along with the added collision detection of foliage (which is only going to be available on the PS5 version of HFW) and larger LOD.

You are still trying to make a PS5 equivalent to a PC (highend even). We've seen several multiplatform games that have come out already that prove a PS5 is not comparable to a high-end PC at all.

OK.

Lying over Ratchets fur?? Are we into this again teenager?

No need to even "imagine". Just compare TFLOPS with the GPUs and you'll find your answer. PS5 is equivalent to 2080-class cards. NOT high-end 3000x cards. Get over it.
stfu

John Wick

I’m shocked he’s trying to suggest it won’t

Look at Ratchet and DS

No matter how high res god of war looks it’s still foundationally a PS4 game
There is no point in arguing with him. His takeaway from all this is that a PC GPU costing hundreds of pounds is more powerful than a console that costs £400. That's his qualification stating stupidly obvious stuff. Let's see what looks better HFW running on PS5 or HZD running on PC?

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
There is no point in arguing with him. His takeaway from all this is that a PC GPU costing hundreds of pounds is more powerful than a console that costs £400. That's his qualification stating stupidly obvious stuff. Let's see what looks better HFW running on PS5 or HZD running on PC?
Maybe I haven't been paying too much attention to this thread but, why are you guys comparing PS5 games released on the PS5 with PS4 games released on PC? Wouldn't it make more sense to compare multiplatform games that are released on both platforms at the same time?

Rivet

You are missing the point. The PS5 doesn't have enough GPU power to brute force the game at 4k resolution with all the backbuffers being raised as well. While it's a PS4 game, it still holds up to most games today. Demon Souls and Ratchet don't look a generation ahead of GoW at all. Going by your pro-PS5 logic, you should frown on GoW2, Spiderman Miles, and HFW since they are cross-gen games (i.e. PS4 games at the core).

I didn't say Ratchet or DS remake looked one gen ahead of GoW 2018, don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say. They definitely look better, but GoW still holds up well. Next gen exclusives will always look better though, DS remake or Ratchet look clearly better. And it's obviously never about brute force on consoles. Consoles aren't PCs.

My point was just we don't know what would look like the GoW PS5 version. There's a big step between PS4 and PS5 (7 years difference), it would definitely look better than the PS4 version by a good margin. We already have tons of GoW PC vs PS5 comparison videos on youtube, which is a bit dumb because that's the PS4 version they're comparing there (only difference with running it on PS4 is the framerate was unlocked on PS5)... There's no PS5 version.

It's not a great achievement that a $1500 34 tflops GPU like a 3080Ti makes the game look slightly better than the 1,84 tflops PS4 version from a 2013 console... It actually shows how much brute force you need on PC just to get the same result, and how well optimized it was on PS4. The end result looks similar to the PS4 version overall.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
It's not a great achievement your $1500 34 tflops GPU like a 3080Ti makes the game look slightly better than the 1,84 tflops PS4 version from a 7 year ago console... It actually show how much brute force you need on PC just to get the same result. The end result looks extremely similar to the PS4 version.
You do know that's because the developers of the port didn't implemented new features right? The same game is not going to look much better just because of it being on different hardware.

How much better does the game look on PS5 compared to PS4? Aside from resolution and framerate.

John Wick

Maybe I haven't been paying too much attention to this thread but, why are you guys comparing PS5 games released on the PS5 with PS4 games released on PC? Wouldn't it make more sense to compare multiplatform games that are released on both platforms at the same time?
Because Mr Obvious Veteran stated that a PS5 game can't look better than a PS4 game on PC.

John Wick

You do know that's because the developers of the port didn't implemented new features right? The same game is not going to look much better just because of it being on different hardware.

How much better does the game look on PS5 compared to PS4? Aside from resolution and framerate.
It can't look better because it's running BC mode. It can only look as good as Pro version.

TintoConCasera

Because Mr Obvious Veteran stated that a PS5 game can't look better than a PS4 game on PC.
Did he said what game? If he stated it just like that then I strongly disagree, and it's a comparison that doesn't make any sense.

It can't look better because it's running BC mode. It can only look as good as Pro version.
Same as on PC.

I'll say then that any PS4 BC game on PC can (and probably will, unless huge port mess up) look better than a PS4 BC game on PS5.

John Wick

It would be impossible to run the game on a jaguar cpu on pc. how many fps does the gtx 750 ti get that was the ps4 equivalent.

ad i said earlier you cant compare pc to console. the api that the ps4 uses smokes everything on pc. dx 12 and vulkan. in fact vulkan is the wannabe ps4 api on pc. all from amd
John Carmac and other developers have already stated you need vastly more powerful PC hardware to run console games. Was it double the cost or something at least.

VFXVeteran

Banned
This is the comment that got all the Sony bros upset to the point where it's now a pissing match in yet ANOTHER thread!!

The PS5 is not strong enough to offer those upgrades. You basically need a RTX 3080 or higher to achieve this at 4K60 with all the upgrades and the PS5 version already runs 60fps.
Basically what he is saying is that if they ported this game OUTSIDE of the BC mode, it STILL wouldn't be able to do the enhanced features at 4K60.

Once again, the Sony bros don't like people indicating in ANY way that their precious console isn't powerful enough to handle the demands required by pushing the graphical fidelity to the highest it can render.

VFXVeteran

Banned
It would be impossible to run the game on a jaguar cpu on pc. how many fps does the gtx 750 ti get that was the ps4 equivalent.

ad i said earlier you cant compare pc to console.

OK.

the api that the ps4 uses smokes everything on pc. dx 12 and vulkan. in fact vulkan is the wannabe ps4 api on pc. all from amd
And then you go on to compare anyway!! Do you see how silly you sound?? You guys think you can slide in some "ps5 > pc" comments and people not notice it? Then when we argue you down, you immediately go to the "well duh, it's obvious Mr. PCMR" from being butthurt.

Get it in your mind now that you don't own these forums. You can think your precious hardware is the best invention since sliced bread, but if you start coming on here trying to force your beliefs on other people, you will get corrected.

Last edited:
OK.

And then you go on to compare anyway!! Do you see how silly you sound?? You guys think you can slide in some "ps5 > pc" comments and people not notice it? Then when we argue you down, you immediately go to the "well duh, it's obvious Mr. PCMR" from being butthurt.

Get it in your mind now that you don't own these forums. You can think your precious hardware is the best invention since sliced bread, but if you start coming on here trying to force your beliefs on other people, you will get corrected.
You are an idiot.

BatSu

screenshot2022-01-13axok6k.png

screenshot2022-01-13achk0t.png

screenshot2022-01-13ahnkrv.png

screenshot2022-01-13a8aj2l.png
FJABwrGXMAkGfc2

Last edited:
Nobody is claiming pc can’t push graphics higher dude. That’s a fact and is just a function of how powerful your set up is

But to claim a last gen game ported to PC being run at the highest settings and resolutions looks better than a game developed from the ground up for next gen hardware is laughably ignorant of how game development actually works and why generations still matter

The quality of visuals isn’t determined by how high your resolution, frame rate, and effect settings are

Polelock

I've been tempted by this God of War ever since ... 2018. But I'm barely 50% through God of War 1 (2005). Long way to go until I get to this one.

Somehow God of War 2005 is less appealing to me than say ... Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy, Devil May Cry or Darksiders.
You really should play through 1, 2 and 3. Get the PS4 remasters. They are really great. Darksiders is the shit too

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Nobody is claiming pc can’t push graphics higher dude. That’s a fact and is just a function of how powerful your set up is

But to claim a last gen game ported to PC being run at the highest settings and resolutions looks better than a game developed from the ground up for next gen hardware is laughably ignorant of how game development actually works and why generations still matter

The quality of visuals isn’t determined by how high your resolution, frame rate, and effect settings are
No you don't get it it's an hyperbole like everything he says once people notice it's bullshit. But don't be affraid he'll just cry in another thread how everyone is mean to him.

John Wick

This is the comment that got all the Sony bros upset to the point where it's now a pissing match in yet ANOTHER thread!!

Basically what he is saying is that if they ported this game OUTSIDE of the BC mode, it STILL wouldn't be able to do the enhanced features at 4K60.

Once again, the Sony bros don't like people indicating in ANY way that their precious console isn't powerful enough to handle the demands required by pushing the graphical fidelity to the highest it can render.
Hahahaha. You just talk nonsense. You haven't even seen what the new consoles are really capable of. It's all crossgen stuff at the moment. But please stop trying to twist what was said. You keep on going on about 3080's and 90's which no one has stated or claimed the PS5 could even compete with.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

So playing at 1x1i with all settings on low doesn't affect how a game looks?

Rivet

Sure, I agree. We don't know if it could go further if the port was made with different objectives. It depends on what the devs wanted to achieve with the port.

On PS5 the game looks exactly the same as on PS4 since it's not a port, it IS the PS4 game itself running with unlocked framerate in Backward Compatibility mode.

I don't know how the PS4 version could look like anything else than the PS4 version, whatever the machine you run it on. You need to actually port it and modify it if you want it to get better, which they didn't do on PS5.

Last edited:
So playing at 1x1i with all settings on low doesn't affect how a game looks?

It does. But it’s a marginal improvement

Developers work around constraints of a given baseline hardware environment (in the case of Sony exclusives that’s PS4 or PS5).

You can just look at PS4 vs PS5 Ratchet to see the impact of generations.

Uprezzing PS4 Ratchet won’t look anywhere near as good as what they did on PS5 ratchet even if they max out literally every single setting

Kenpachii

That wasn't what VFX victim said though.
It's obvious a card costing the same as a PS5 will be far more powerful or one that costs nearly double. You still haven't provided the evidence of a game built ground up for PS5 that also has a PS4 port for PC to prove that theory? Consoles punch far above their weight. This port of GOW proves how demanding it is on PC hardware even though its a 2018 game.

A game built from the ground up on a PS5 is never going to run on the PS4, so there will never be a port from ps4 > PC based on a PS5 version.

Gow port on ultra+ settings isn't equal towards towards what the PS5 is running at. Original > ultra+ = 2x performance required already. The PS5 can't even run the PS4 version at a solid 4k on original settings at a stable 60 fps, let alone anywhere near ultra+ at 4k at a stable 60 fps.

3080 has no issue's running this game at 4k 60 fps at above quality thanks to DLSS on top of it.

Now can the PS5 version of GOW look better then this version yes. Because they did a particulair poor effort to push the game forwards on the visual department. They just decided to up some value's by 2x and call it a day.

Buggy Loop

ad i said earlier you cant compare pc to console. the api that the ps4 uses smokes everything on pc. dx 12 and vulkan. in fact vulkan is the wannabe ps4 api on pc. all from amd

Meme Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

It’s easy to throw shit around. All from AMD? What does that even mean? AMD made mantle that led to Vulkan and Dx12.

Lower level you will say? Lower level than the already low level of Vulkan? Not Directx11 like probably all the GDC presentations of GNM from years ago were compared to?

There’s diminishing returns to try to go down to an assembly level micro-optimization nowadays with any modern CPU, as the compiler is probably always going to beat whatever you tried to optimize, especially on x86. How much effort is a studio putting on manual optimization at assembly level to maybe beat the compiler? Probably zero allowed time, for sure the trend in game development is certainly not assembly/metal coding.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
It does. But it’s a marginal improvement

Developers work around constraints of a given baseline hardware environment (in the case of Sony exclusives that’s PS4 or PS5).

You can just look at PS4 vs PS5 Ratchet to see the impact of generations.

Uprezzing PS4 Ratchet won’t look anywhere near as good as what they did on PS5 ratchet even if they max out literally every single setting
Marginal jump from 1x1i to 3840x2160p??? Or for, example, The Witcher 3 on Switch vs on pc on ultra+ Mods???

VFXVeteran

Banned
Why are you guys taking the opportunity to argue about another game? This thread is about God of War - Not Horizon FW vs. HZD. You are literally derailing the thread.

skit_data

Second best selling game on Steam for a 4 year old game. I don’t think they feel the need to go day-and-date anytime soon.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Look at that GTX 1050 go! I thought pixie dust based console optimization would make anything less than a KiNgPiN GTX 1080ti and a Core I7 4770k on liquid cooling crumble when running the game at ps4 settings.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
And they won't either. They know they can make decent money and I personally think a year should be the minimum.
they will do it, if their games sell tons of copies on pc.
You also have to account MS presence in the pc market. Halo and Forza are just the big console Day1. Imagine other Big titles, when they hit day1, same as the console version. Sony will be alarmed, and will want to do day1 too.

That is why competition is better, compared to the xbox one vs the ps4. MS weren't a competition. and now Sony is seeing them as a threat.

Interfectum

And they won't either. They know they can make decent money and I personally think a year should be the minimum.
A year should be the maximum. Gives them plenty of time to squash bugs through paid beta testers and inject PC-centric perks like DLSS. Horizon 2 will be on PC by early spring of 2023. Book it.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I think you guys are being harsh on VFXVeteran. I agree with some of what he means.
Thats why last gen and everytime a new Sony exclusive released, some of you would be like 'Man this is the best looking game ever, not just on console but PC too!', and PC gamers are like -

agamenon-lol.gif

The problem is that a lot of console only gamers only judge games on PC by crappy bitrate Youtube vids, and dont realize when you play a game on PC at max settings, the extra detail, the extra fine detail, really can make the same game look way better than the same game on console.
Thats why i said the other day how i was a little dissapointed in HZD when i got it on PC, not that it looked bad or anything, it looked great for an open world game, just slightly dissapointing after the hype.

I'll put it another way that might make it easier to understand what i'm saying.

If you did a poll on here, a poll only for PS4 owners, and asked the question - 'What game do you think looks better, HZD or Cyberpunk?', i'd bet the poll results would be 70-80% in favour of HZD, due to the console versions being judged.
Now after trying HZD on PC, and playing Cyberpunk at max settings (albeit at 30fps, pos game lol), Cyberpunk at max settings looks considerably better than HZD on PC.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
A year should be the maximum. Gives them plenty of time to squash bugs through paid beta testers and inject PC-centric perks like DLSS. Horizon 2 will be on PC by early spring of 2023. Book it.

Yeah I'd rather wait and have a great port. With simultaneous releases they have the excuse to slack on the PC version like 90% of AAA devs.

rofif

Banned
I think you guys are being harsh on VFXVeteran. I agree with some of what he means.
Thats why last gen and everytime a new Sony exclusive released, some of you would be like 'Man this is the best looking game ever, not just on console but PC too!', and PC gamers are like -

agamenon-lol.gif

The problem is that a lot of console only gamers only judge games on PC by crappy bitrate Youtube vids, and dont realize when you play a game on PC at max settings, the extra detail, the extra fine detail, really can make the same game look way better than the same game on console.
Thats why i said the other day how i was a little dissapointed in HZD when i got it on PC, not that it looked bad or anything, it looked great for an open world game, just slightly dissapointing after the hype.

I'll put it another way that might make it easier to understand what i'm saying.

If you did a poll on here, a poll only for PS4 owners, and asked the question - 'What game do you think looks better, HZD or Cyberpunk?', i'd bet the poll results would be 70-80% in favour of HZD, due to the console versions being judged.
Now after trying HZD on PC, and playing Cyberpunk at max settings (albeit at 30fps, pos game lol), Cyberpunk at max settings looks considerably better than HZD on PC.
The extra 4k textures detail kinda vanishes away if you are not super close.
I game on 48" in my flarkin face so I can see the added sharpness but it's still not huge.
4k yt video is indeed bad

Last edited:
Something tells me Sony are going to start releasing games on PC a lot sooner. Imagine if this were happening a year after the game out. There'd be a lot more hype, and they could probably still charge full price for it. As a PC gamer, I do want to play it at some point but I'm not really in any rush to get it. It's been the same for all these Sony ports. The game has been out so long it's not really that exciting anymore.

I remember GTA V got away with close to two years before the PC version came out, but that's GTAV.

Guilty_AI

agamenon-lol.gif

Its a good point actually. When i played GoW on the ps4 i'd immediately notice some of the lower detail stuff in the scenario, or the low res shadows. Naturally, the game does have great art direction and looks pretty good, but i wouldn't really use it a hallmark of computer graphics.

Last edited:

Interfectum

Not surprising as they sit far from their TVs with blurry IQs and think the games "LOOKS FANTASTIC". Ignorance is a bliss in this cases.
I have both a gaming PC and PS5 hooked up to the same massive TV and there is a huge difference in IQ even on next-gen vs PC. Every console game feels like there is this slightly blurry sheet over the screen (variable resolution, lack of post processing IQ, etc) where as when I use a PC on that same TV the quality is so good it feels like I can just reach into the screen and pluck out the characters.

I would love to see how R&C and Spider-Man look on on a gaming rig to compare.

rofif

Banned
I have both a gaming PC and PS5 hooked up to the same massive TV and there is a huge difference in IQ even on next-gen vs PC. Every console game feels like there is this slightly blurry sheet over the screen (variable resolution, lack of post processing IQ, etc) where as when I use a PC on that same TV the quality is so good it feels like I can just reach into the screen and pluck out the characters.

I would love to see how R&C and Spider-Man look on on a gaming rig to compare.
what ?!
Blurry sheet?
Lack of post processing?

Just because a game is not using the crappy instagram sharpening filter sweetfx reshade crap, does not mean it lacks postprocessing.
I play on big tv close to my face and it's just games at 1440p or with temporal AA. It's just a normal resolution difference

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
what ?!
Blurry sheet?
Lack of post processing?

Just because a game is not using the crappy instagram sharpening filter sweetfx reshade crap, does not mean it lacks postprocessing.
I play on big tv close to my face and it's just games at 1440p or with temporal AA. It's just a normal resolution difference
They all lack the glorious post processing IQ booster called DLSS for non native resolutions and/or crap post anti aliasing solutions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom