• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War (PC) - Review Thread

VFXVeteran

Banned
3926907-3926714-0485990753-gow3..gif

3926906-3926715-0368064442-gow2..gif
This is a significant enhancement on PCs.

This is going through the lighting loop (which is the most expensive part of a render) and testing for shadows on even more geometry. Not only that, these trees and foliage are semi-transparent, so getting the soft shadows will require building shadow maps on semi-transparent primitives instead of just opaque primitives. The effect is very obvious visually.

VFXVeteran

Banned
This is the typical dumb comment you get from certain people. Your comparing graphics from a game in 2018 on a 1.85tf machine. Find me better graphics from 2018 on a 2 terflop card eh? We'll wait........
There's nothing impressive in claiming 3080 is going to produce better graphics than a PS4.
I think you should have went to Specsavers!
I'm glad you agree..

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member

This is going through the lighting loop (which is the most expensive part of a render) and testing for shadows on even more geometry. Not only that, these trees and foliage are semi-transparent, so getting the soft shadows will require building shadow maps on semi-transparent primitives instead of just opaque primitives. The effect is very obvious visually.

I assume PCs can execute Ray Tracing better than the PS5/XSX consoles. I've heard from other PC players with RTX 30XX cards and PS5s that the RT features in the consoles were weak.

A game built from the ground up on a PS5 is never going to run on the PS4, so there will never be a port from ps4 > PC based on a PS5 version.

Gow port on ultra+ settings isn't equal towards towards what the PS5 is running at. Original > ultra+ = 2x performance required already. The PS5 can't even run the PS4 version at a solid 4k on original settings at a stable 60 fps, let alone anywhere near ultra+ at 4k at a stable 60 fps.

3080 has no issue's running this game at 4k 60 fps at above quality thanks to DLSS on top of it.

Now can the PS5 version of GOW look better then this version yes. Because they did a particulair poor effort to push the game forwards on the visual department. They just decided to up some value's by 2x and call it a day.
bullshit original ps4 settings the ps5 can absolutely run it in bative 4k with 60fps it would require more work than simple backwards compatibility. 6800xt d

Totaly worth for 100% more power 🤣

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The game looking better on PC doesn't mean the game looks bad on PS4. Frankly, it is amazing that the game looks as good as it does on a system with specs as low as PS4's.
"Frankly, it is sad that the game doesn't look 5x+ better than it does because a system with specs as low as PS4's."

Ftfy.

Neofire

I don't know why you bother replying for? Like I said before your only contribution has been to state that PC GPU's costing hundreds of pounds are more powerful than consoles costing £300-400. I mean my 3 year old nephew could have told you the bleeding obvious.
Exactly, his obsession on 2k+ graphic cards being more powerful then 500 dollar consoles and letting everyone on the forums know about should have been reprimanded a long time ago.

We get it his platform of choice is PC and that he thinks that everything it does is superior in everyway. Do we have to be subjected to his rhetoric everytime a PC version of a game drops though?

yurinka

The game is now at 93 MC after 45 reviews. 94 in Open Critic (98% critics recommend) with 226 reviews including the PS4 version. PS4 version had a 94 MC back in 2018.

Mister Wolf

Who's making these gifs?

God of War isn't a PS5 game. It's a PS4 / PS4 Pro game that runs at twice the framerate with PS4 Pro settings on the PS5.

Ok. With that being said do you expect the next GOW on PS5 to have the added GTAO and SSDO this port of the old game have or will that just be a PS4 game as well?

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Ok. With that being said do you expect the next GOW on PS5 to have the added GTAO and SSDO this port of the old game have or will that just be a PS4 game as well?
It will obviously have improved ambient occlusion over what could be done on a 4TF GCN5 GPU from 2016 and 5.5GB available RAM. There will be an actual PS5 version made for a 10TF RDNA2 GPU and 13.5GB available RAM.

Topher

Gold Member

Doesn't matter, does it? A port that takes full advantage of the latest PC components is nearly always going to look better than the console version, assuming a good port. Regardless, just like an older PC game isn't going to automatically take advantage of newer technology without being patched, the PS4 Pro version of God of War isn't going to look as good as a native PS5 version.

Interfectum

It will obviously have improved ambient occlusion over what could be done on a 4TF GCN5 GPU from 2016 and 5.5GB available RAM. There will be an actual PS5 version made for a 10TF RDNA2 GPU and 13.5GB available RAM.
And most likely to get all of the graphics perks on PS5 you'll have to run it at 30 FPS.

Console only owners have no idea how spoiled they are getting in terms of cross-gen gaming and frame rates. God of War 2 and Horizon 2 are going to really show the difference between a gaming PC and PS5 when those ports come out next year (guessing).

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
And most likely to get all of the graphics perks on PS5 you'll have to run it at 30 FPS.

Console only owners have no idea how spoiled they are getting in terms of cross-gen gaming and frame rates. God of War 2 and Horizon 2 are going to really show the difference between a gaming PC and PS5 when those ports come out next year.

I own a PS5 and a PC with a Radeon 6900XT + Ryzen 9 5900X + 64GB RAM.

I disagree with the above. I just committed the mistake of buying Guardians of the Galaxy to play on my PC with all on Ultra and Raytracing Very High at 75FPS on my ultrawide monitor.
I would have rather played it on the PS5 on the OLED TV.

I only bought it for the PC thinking it was more of a hardcore shooter for which I'd need to play with the mouse. I ended up playing it with the XBOne gamepad that I use on my PC, which is so much worse than the DualSense and its features.

Interfectum

I disagree with the above. I just committed the mistake of buying Guardians of the Galaxy to play on my PC with all on Ultra and Raytracing Very High at 75FPS on my ultrawide monitor.

I only bought it for the PC thinking it was more of a hardcore shooter for which I'd need to play with the mouse. I ended up playing it with the XBOne gamepad that I use on my PC, which is so much worse than the DualSense and its features.
I'm playing Guardians on my PC right now on a 75" OLED using a DualSense. Getting full effects @ 75 FPS+.

Why the hell would you think GotG was a hardcore shooter for a mouse? :messenger_neutral:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Why the hell would you think GotG was a hardcore shooter for a mouse? :messenger_neutral:
I don't really remember. Perhaps it was something Skill Up said about difficulty or maybe I misunderstood? But in the end the game was pretty accessible to play on normal difficulty.

I'm planning on having my desktop always connected to my C9, but for that I need some construction works on my house that are scheduled for later this year.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Doesn't matter, does it? A port that takes full advantage of the latest PC components is nearly always going to look better than the console version, assuming a good port. Regardless, just like an older PC game isn't going to automatically take advantage of newer technology without being patched, the PS4 Pro version of God of War isn't going to look as good as a native PS5 version.
They can. Resolution, frame rate, anti aliasing, AO, AF, etc can all be improved without the game being patched...

John Wick

Exactly, his obsession on 2k+ graphic cards being more powerful then 500 dollar consoles and letting everyone on the forums know about should have been reprimanded a long time ago.

We get it his platform of choice is PC and that he thinks that everything it does is superior in everyway. Do we have to be subjected to his rhetoric everytime a PC version of a game drops though?
You know what his problem is? He thinks we should only game on PC's. God forbid if we have gaming PC's and consoles. It's just some of us have no problem going from PC to console or vice versa. I enjoy playing on both. I'm not such a Prima Donna that I can't handle going to console level graphics from top end PC graphics.

John Wick

Me and my mates whenever we play fighting games like Tekken, SF etc we only ever play on console. Even though some of us have powerful gaming PC's hooked upto TV's. It never happens.

nikos

The hype got me. Downloading it now. Looking forward to giving the game a second chance.

The FOV/camera distance may be a problem for me, but I probably wouldn't mod it anyway because of the game's camera work.

Locked and loaded. My PC is used like a console. In a living room, controller only. With Xbox Series S tier specs. i5 6600k and 1070Ti. Pretty stoked about not having to upgrade any parts this gen.

VFXVeteran

Banned
That gif suits you to a tea! Remember when you tried playing down R&C's graphics? Then when you got called out
There was nothing I said that was factually incorrect, so I don't know what you mean by "called out" other than a bunch of teenagers having a hissy fit because I described, in detail, why R&C isn't anything special technically other than it's art direction.

and laughed off here you tried changing what you said? Remember the fur gate?
Hypocrite
I left the thread because it became a high school teasing session - not a mature discussion about the game's fur.

Last edited:

nikos

So immediately, there's no Full Screen mode, only Borderless and Windowed. I believe this is is causing DLSS to be grayed out. Didn't really plan on using DLSS anyway, but I find it odd that there's no Full Screen mode in a DX11 game.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They can. Resolution, frame rate, anti aliasing, AO, AF, etc can all be improved without the game being patched...

Sure....and then there are other aspects like ray tracing, DLSS, newer IO tech, etc. Like I said, it doesn't matter since the best PC version nearly always is the best version overall, but unless Sony updates God of War for PS5 then all we are really seeing is a frame rate boost with PS4 Pro checkerboard visuals.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Console only owners have no idea how spoiled they are getting in terms of cross-gen gaming and frame rates. God of War 2 and Horizon 2 are going to really show the difference between a gaming PC and PS5 when those ports come out next year (guessing).
Death Stranding's PS5 SKU ran at native 4k 50+ fps with PC high settings with 60 fps in all scenes not involving combat. And 1800p 60 fps locked at all times in performance mode. Their wide screen mode runs at a native resolution with increased FOV and still has a locked 60 fps.

If this game was ported on the PS5, it would not run at 30 fps just because it would be using high settings.

Kenpachii

Specs? If I have to pay $3000 just for the GPU alone to get better leaf shadows then to hell with that.

Wait.....what? You are still comparing God of War to God of War here. The difference is the latest version takes advantage of potentially better hardware. If a game is said to be "one of the best looking game ever" and then the visuals are improved on another platform then that boosts the claims that it is among the best games ever visually. Folks don't need a "new pair of eyes" to see that the game has improved visually.

Just so you know PC warriors, PS5 version of GoW doesn't exist. What you are comparing against is PS4 Pro version running through BC. So labelling those pics as PS5 is misleading.

PC-gamers-when-thier-3000-PC-is-better-than-400-console-meme-4443.png

Men u guys are really having a hard time with the fact that PC version looks a lot more better then the console version.

I just post 2 gifs to showcase in a simple way the difference. And all u get is reactions of a bunch of people that have to validate there plastic box.

Topher

Gold Member
That's how it runs on the PS5, no matter if you like it or not. If sony does a half arsed job in releasing just a fps unlocker and nothing else that's there problem.

That's how it runs in backward compatibility mode on PS5. That's a key distinction.

Men u guys are really having a hard time with the fact that PC version looks a lot more better then the console version.

I just post 2 gifs to showcase in a simple way the difference. And all u get is reactions of a bunch of people that have to validate there plastic box.

lol.....I just asked what the specs of that PC were. "PC version" is meaningless as not all PCs are the same.

Ulysses 31

So immediately, there's no Full Screen mode, only Borderless and Windowed. I believe this is is causing DLSS to be grayed out. Didn't really plan on using DLSS anyway, but I find it odd that there's no Full Screen mode in a DX11 game.
Diablo II Resurrected doesn't have exclusive fullscreen either but still allows DLSS.

Kenpachii

That's how it runs in backward compatibility mode on PS5. That's a key distinction.

lol.....I just asked what the specs of that PC were. "PC version" is meaningless as not all PCs are the same.

It's about the visual differences of settings that the game offers. specs don't matter at all with comparisons like that.

Not my problem its BC, its on the PS5 and thats the best version to play the game on the PS5. If people got issue's with how lackbusting it runs on the PS5, then start hammering sony with a full blown update for the game. That's how the game at the end gets served and that's where its compared against.

Personally i find the god of war port incredible lazy to say the least. Just a bunch of settings u can push higher, wow big deal. Where are the improved textures the more detail in the enviroment, more tesselation, more grass everywhere, bigger draw distances, raytracing.

Instead its dx11 port ( lol ) with some value's doubled.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
That gif suits you to a tea! Remember when you tried playing down R&C's graphics? Then when you got called out and laughed off here you tried changing what you said? Remember the fur gate?
Hypocrite
oh fkn cmon. Leave the trolly stuff in the failure of a r&c award thread where you all focused on wrong things...
The whole idea of high resolution first game compared to low resolution but higher fidelity 2nd game is interesting debate. We will have soon examples with ps5 vs pc when it comes to Ragnarok and Horizon FW.
I think the resolution is slowly dying off tho. But consoles do lack the upscaling techniques, so it's that weird time now.... we have 3080 level power on pc but can achieve better performance on 2 levels. Raw power and upscaling like DLSS. but so far we are seeing the new found power, utilized just in raw ways without introducing new techniques

Last edited:
Top Bottom