• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War (PC) - Review Thread

VFXVeteran

Banned
So immediately, there's no Full Screen mode, only Borderless and Windowed. I believe this is is causing DLSS to be grayed out. Didn't really plan on using DLSS anyway, but I find it odd that there's no Full Screen mode in a DX11 game.
Hmm.. I can access DLSS.

Anyone else have this problem?

BTW: Game looks good at full resolution.

Kenpachii

i never play my games in fullscreen, dlss works fine either way. If its grayed out maybe u need a driver update or u run a really old windows build that could cause problems.

Topher

Gold Member
It's about the visual differences of settings that the game offers. specs don't matter at all with comparisons like that.

Not my problem its BC, its on the PS5 and thats the best version to play the game on the PS5. If people got issue's with how lackbusting it runs on the PS5, then start hammering sony with a full blown update for the game. That's how the game at the end gets served and that's where its compared against.

Being factual isn't your problem? Ok then.....

nikos

i never play my games in fullscreen, dlss works fine either way. If its grayed out maybe u need a driver update or u run a really old windows build that could cause problems.

Latest Windows 11 build, today's Nvidia driver release, 3080 Ti. Lots of people on Steam forums reporting the same issue. Not a big deal for me, but it's an issue.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I'm a PC gamer first and foremost but to see some of the 'most hardcore' PC gamers gush over the most trivial improvements over a PS4 game is pretty fucking funny.

My thoughts exactly. This game on PC looks gorgeous and it's great that non-Playstation owners can now play what I think to be the best videogame of the 8th-gen.

But it doesn't look that much better than the original PS4 Pro version. To me there's usually a total dissonance between what I see in the comparison images and Alex's personal take on said comparisons.
It's frustratingly obvious whenever there's some exclusive or exclusively performant feature from Nvidia involved.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Latest Windows 11 build, today's Nvidia driver release, 3080 Ti. Lots of people on Steam forums reporting the same issue. Not a big deal for me, but it's an issue.

ah windows 11, no clue about that. The latest nvidia drivers have been a bit of a mess it seems like.

Being factual isn't your problem? Ok then.....

Factual information that is meaningless in comparison sake the same as the gifs for comparison of pc higher settings vs console settings "PC specs" comment are meaningless.

Something u don't seem to understand.

As this is the PC review thread, nobody cares about your 400 buck plastic box.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
ah windows 11, no clue about that. The latest nvidia drivers have been a bit of a mess it seems like.

Factual information that is meaningless in comparison sake the same as the gifs "specs" are meaningless.

You think checkerboard rendering is meaningless when it comes to visuals?

sainraja

Factual information that is meaningless in comparison sake the same as the gifs for comparison of pc higher settings vs console settings "PC specs" comment are meaningless.

As this is the PC review thread, nobody cares about your 400 buck plastic box.
Well, it's still the PS4 version you are looking at running on a PS5. No matter what you try to say or "spin".....that fact isn't going to change UNTIL a PS5 version is released (which it won't be); the sequel will have a PS5 version and a PS4 version, you can come back and do your comparison with an actual PS5 version then. The version being compared right now is the PS4 Pro running via PS5 being compared to a PC. PS5 is backwards compatible if you didn't know and capable of running PS4 games.

If you label the PS4 version as the PS5 version then you are being deceptive and your motive for doing that is questionable.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
That's how it runs on the PS5, no matter if you like it or not. If sony does a half arsed job in releasing just a fps unlocker and nothing else that's there problem.

Final Fantasy XVII PS4 vs Final Fantasy XVII PC in November 2021.

yFf9ZWp.jpg

It's not my fault that the PC game devs did such a bad job at.. (check notes) not remaking the game for their platform.

Kenpachii

You think checkerboard rendering is meaningless when it comes to visuals?

Its meaningful.

Well, it's still the PS4 version you are looking at running on a PS5. No matter what you try to say or "spin".....that fact isn't going to change UNTIL a PS5 version is released (which it won't be). The version being compared is PS4 Pro running via PS5 being compared to a PC. PS5 is backwards compatible if you didn't know and capable of running PS4 games.

Its the best version console have currently and that's the bc version from the ps4 pro that runs on the PS5. that's why its PS5 vs PC. If the PS4 pro has the same visuals but performs worse doesn't matter as its not better then the PS5 solution atm. So the comparison is simple valid and honestly common logic for anybody that isn't idiot.

yFf9ZWp.jpg

It's not my fault that the PC game devs did such a bad job at.. (check notes) not remaking the game for their platform.

U could make that comparison perfectly fine, when the PS4 version came out. To see the improvements from the old version versus the new version and use the PC version or emulated version of FF7 as its probably the best solution. It's the same thing. The same way as people compare modded gta 4 to gta 5 when it got announced or gta 5 remake for consoles versus modded gta 5 on PC.

This is why i shitted on alan wake and its xbox versus remake comparison when the PC version exists. Because its such a lackbusting remake they had to go all out to the worst possible version to showcase a difference. But then again, somebody that still had the xbox copy and doesn't have a PC could have some use out of it.

Last edited:

sainraja

Its the best version console have currently and that's the bc version from the ps4 pro that runs on the PS5. that's why its PS5 vs PC. If the PS4 pro has the same visuals but performs worse doesn't matter as its not better then the PS5 solution atm. So the comparison is simple valid and honestly common logic for anybody that isn't idiot.
It's still the PS4 version. Playing it on the PS5 does not change that. Labeling it otherwise is simply deceptive — there is no PS5 version of the game. Yes, you are comparing things (that's not in question) but what you are comparing is not being labeled correctly.

Last edited:

Arun1910

Nice small improvements from playing this on PS4 Pro.

Biggest change for me is 4K DLSS at 60fps and the HDR. The colours are amazing.

John Wick

Men u guys are really having a hard time with the fact that PC version looks a lot more better then the console version.

I just post 2 gifs to showcase in a simple way the difference. And all u get is reactions of a bunch of people that have to validate there plastic box.
Why did you expect it to look worse on £700-2000 PC GPU's that you need to validate it?
No one is having a hard time believing a 3080 will smoke a PS4 nevermind a PS5.

keefged4

Port is seriously impressive. I dont have a top end PC (rtx 2060 plus an i5 9600k) but the game is looking noticeably better than running it on PS5. Using Quality DLSS at 4K.

Last edited:

nikos

The audio mix in this game is incredibly annoying. Since Kratos is towards the left side of the screen, all of his audio (speech, footsteps, etc.) is predominantly coming out of the left channel.

I don't know how stuff like this makes it into the second release of a AAA game.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

yFf9ZWp.jpg

Lol. Not the same game and the devs indeed made a bad job not releasing the game sooner on pc. Just like sony made a bad job on the PS5 version of GoW...

Last edited:

Ywap

I get the message "Not enough memory available" on my Alder Lake + Windows 11 system.

Has anyone else with this combo managed to start the game?

Edit: Had to disable the intel gpu in device manager to get it to work (y)

Last edited:

Kerotan

I've been tempted by this God of War ever since ... 2018. But I'm barely 50% through God of War 1 (2005). Long way to go until I get to this one.

Somehow God of War 2005 is less appealing to me than say ... Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy, Devil May Cry or Darksiders.
You'd be better off just watching a YouTube summary for god of war 1 and 2 and then actually play 3. Then you're all set for the best game of last gen.

scalman

Runs fine on high on gtx 1060 6gb laptop. Dont need anything more there. Visuals are fine enough but those runnings via strict paths just so not my thing anymore. Feels old and dont likr fight mechanics at all. Its not as good as horizon at all or ac games. Thats where i like gameplay and this is just arcadish running and superman jumping. Bosses dont feel anything good as well.
First halo was dissapointing now this.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have this with DLSS on at 4K to 1440p, but I feel like I am seeing halos that are usually the result of excessive sharpening.

Did anyone else notice this or is it my imagination?

winjer

Gold Member

God of War Patch 1.0.9 Release Notes​

• New Features

• You can now configure Aiming and Blocking as a toggle instead of a hold
    • Triple Buffering can now be enabled to reduce micro-stutters at the cost of a minor latency increase
    • GPU memory usage is now included in the video settings to aid performance troubleshooting
    • Fixes

• Memory values will now be detected properly when using integrated graphics
    • Silent crashes will no longer occur if a GPU reports invalid memory values
    • Some gameplay systems will no longer cause intermittent crashes
    • Implemented small object culling to help reduce the number of objects that the CPU can process
      Developed in response to recurring AMD performance issues, this change should improve minimum framerates in scenes where there are many objects on-screen. During our testing, we saw an average 20% improvement in frametimes above the 95th percentile.
      To those not experiencing instances of major framerate drops, please note that this change will not result in a significant improvement to graphical performance.

Pejo

Hey there,
I have a question. Does God of War support DualSense for the Steam PC Version?
Steam by default supports Dualsense as of about a year ago. You just go into Settings -> Controller - General settings and check the box for Playstation configuration support:

kv5TUtWxWaZ8Gi3VKkw7Tj-970-80.png

This will also change the button displays to Playstation prompts if the game includes them.

Last edited:
Top Bottom