• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök the fastest-selling first party game launch in PlayStation history

Lolofonek

Neo Member
Most sold games today. Try not to cry:
ustukyT.jpg
Over here its just 12 bucks so while i do agree that it is selling, i would be more suprised if it didnt rank at that price with ip name power considered.

Nobody but Sony gives a fuck about Anime. I can't believe people complain.... about Sony having a monopoly. Like be thankful someone is promoting it.

I mean, i dont care i just think they should use it more. Cyberpunk made a huge splash, sony can licenese some of their games to anime companies like Bone Studios

It opens it up to an entirely different market just like live action does.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Nobody but Sony gives a fuck about Anime. I can't believe people complain.... about Sony having a monopoly. Like be thankful someone is promoting it.
I dunno about nobody caring about anime. Cyberpunk anime hype led to it being the highest played game on steam and charting again at the top for a while.

Same deal with Arcane.

It's not about the type of media it is in, it's the quality in which it is presented that matters.

killatopak

Gold Member
We got the number it sold. It can chart as much as it wants. It means nothing compared to concrete numbers.
when was that last announced? You know we aren't stuck at that point in time right?

The point is that the game is charting still which means it is undeniably selling and proving it has legs. It's not gonna be at the top but that isn't the argument.

Bragr

Banned
when was that last announced? You know we aren't stuck at that point in time right?

The point is that the game is charting still which means it is undeniably selling and proving it has legs. It's not gonna be at the top but that isn't the argument.
You and many here and overrating what charting means. A charting game can still sell only a few thousand.

The argument is that it stagnated a lot more than it should have, it has legs, but not very good ones.

killatopak

Gold Member
You and many here and overrating what charting means. A charting game can still sell only a few thousand.

The argument is that it stagnated a lot more than it should have, it has legs, but not very good ones.
I mean where else do you suppose to look for when looking to find out if the game still sells. The data on the sales is a concrete metric but is outdated. It is only relevant when either it's recently announced or there's no more data to look to if the game is still selling but in this case it's still charting so that is moot point.

Nah. The original argument was it was on a better pace than TLOU1, which is true.

You just expected a lot more and for it to have a bigger lead over TLOU1 at the immediate get go. This isn't considering that TLOU1 got a rerelease on the PS4 like a year after. It only seems disappointing because you're comparing it to anothet hugely successful game. It's like complaining about winning the lottery twice because you only got a couple million more the second time.

Bragr

Banned
I mean where else do you suppose to look for when looking to find out if the game still sells. The data on the sales is a concrete metric but is outdated. It is only relevant when either it's recently announced or there's no more data to look to if the game is still selling but in this case it's still charting so that is moot point.

Nah. The original argument was it was on a better pace than TLOU1, which is true.

You just expected a lot more and for it to have a bigger lead over TLOU1 at the immediate get go. This isn't considering that TLOU1 got a rerelease on the PS4 like a year after. It only seems disappointing because you're comparing it to anothet hugely successful game. It's like complaining about winning the lottery twice because you only got a couple million more the second time.
I have no idea what you are talking about. The argument here is that TLOU2 stopped selling big rather quickly. June 2022 is still a pretty recent date for official numbers.

I did expect a lot more, that's the point. The Last of Us 2 exists on a different planet than the first game in terms of market. I am comparing it to Spider-Man and God of War and other recent big releases.

The Last of Us 2 outsold games like Ghost of Tsushima at launch by almost 2:1, but has been outsold by it later on pretty handily. It does not have the legs you think it does.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
I have no idea what you are talking about. The argument here is that TLOU2 stopped selling big rather quickly. June 2022 is still a pretty recent date for official numbers.
6 months ago isn't recent.
I did expect a lot more
Okay, no arguments there.
It does not have the legs you think it does
We have different expectations I guess. I believe it's doing fine. Certainly could do better but it is consistently selling still. The show could also bump it up similar to Cyberpunk assuming the show is actually good.

MacReady13

How much MORE money would Sony Santa Monica have made if they had released it on the Sony Game Pass equivalent? Wasted opportunity...

Also, where is the Xbox congratulatory twitter picture? Microsoft and Sony were so chummy at the start of this gen that it hurts me these multi million dollar companies aren't best friends. Don't we play better when we are all together???

I did expect a lot more, that's the point. The Last of Us 2 exists on a different planet than the first game in terms of market. I am comparing it to Spider-Man and God of War and other recent big releases.

The Last of Us 2 outsold games like Ghost of Tsushima at launch by almost 2:1, but has been outsold by it later on pretty handily. It does not have the legs you think it does.

Ghost of Tsushima didn’t out sell TLOU Part 2.

Ghost of Tsushima sold 9.73 million copies, as of June 2022 with a Remaster and it got bundled.

The Last of Us Part 2 sold over 10 million copies in early 2022, with only one sku and no bundles

Bragr

Banned
6 months ago isn't recent.

Okay, no arguments there.

We have different expectations I guess. I believe it's doing fine. Certainly could do better but it is consistently selling still. The show could also bump it up similar to Cyberpunk assuming the show is actually good.
The show is gonna bump it big time.

The problem here is that TLOU2 sold gigantic record-breaking numbers out the gate, games that sell like that usually cross 10 million within a few months, easily. That it took so long is very strange. 6 months in sales terms is pretty recent, unless there is some big factor here, we can assume the sales have been similar to the other months. Sales numbers usually only come out officially once a blue moon when it comes to Sony, so 6 months is not that bad.

Bragr

Banned
Ghost of Tsushima didn’t out sell TLOU Part 2.

Ghost of Tsushima sold 9.73 million copies, as of June 2022 with a Remaster and it got bundled.

The Last of Us Part 2 sold over 10 million copies in early 2022, with only one sku and no bundles
We are talking about the legs here. Tsushima sold 2.5 or something at launch, TLOU2 sold 4.

So we can assume that TLOU2 had pushed through well over 6 million in the first month or two, while Tsushima was far less. Meaning, Tsushima has outsold TLOU2 by quite a margin over the last 2 years after the initial launch period.

We are talking about the legs here. Tsushima sold 2.5 or something at launch, TLOU2 sold 4.

So we can assume that TLOU2 had pushed through well over 6 million in the first month or two, while Tsushima was far less. Meaning, Tsushima has outsold TLOU2 by quite a margin over the last 2 years after the initial launch period.

It got a boost due to bundling and the ps5 remaster. It still hasn’t ‘outsold’ tloup2

As I've understood it (and as it is way past midnight here and I already should be asleep, can't be arsed to google references, so take this as you will) it's not that Bezos/Amazon didn't pay out for the rights, but rather the Tolkien estate was unwilling to sell them. Silmarillion would have made for some great source material (the book is boring as fuck, but there's all kinds of lore to work with), but the estate said "nuh-uh". So basically all the show has is some handwaving about a certain era without any concrete (both literally and figuratively) foundation to build on. And it shows.

Interesting. I wonder why the Tolkien estate would have denied selling Amazon the rights? It can't be tied up with Peter Jackson's films or the studio that makes them (Universal, IIRC?), right? Would hope not.

John Wick

Maybe, maybe not. There is series starting in January 2023 and the recent remake. Both of those will help TLOU2 sell a load more copies.
Why not wait?

John Wick

How much MORE money would Sony Santa Monica have made if they had released it on the Sony Game Pass equivalent? Wasted opportunity...

Also, where is the Xbox congratulatory twitter picture? Microsoft and Sony were so chummy at the start of this gen that it hurts me these multi million dollar companies aren't best friends. Don't we play better when we are all together???
Why would they have made more money?
Why would anyone buy it if it's on the Sony Premium plus?

sendit

The Majority of these sales are expected to be on PS5 with the $70 price tag. Yeah all those posts about how Sony made a huge mistake with the increase of their 1st party games to $70 aged life spoiled milk.

Oh and all those how can Sony compete with Gamepass posts were especially hilarious now.
Disagree. Gamepass provides the only place where you can play the pinnacle Halo Infinite experience. Jim Ryan is crying right now.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Ghost of Tsushima wouldn't be near The Last of Us Part II without the PlayStation 5 release. Demon's Souls, Returnal, Spider-Man Miles Morales, and Rachet & Clank were in various PS5 bundles and it helped increase sales in 2021/early 2022.

The Last of Us Part II sales slowed down shortly after Ghost of Tsushima was released but sales started to pick up again at the end of 2020/early 2021.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Can you present a source for this?

Really? 94 rated game, thirst is real
A delayed game can be a record breaker lol
Yeah but this game was out only 5 days from when this thread was stared.

That would mean they average around a million a day in sales which is fucking insane. I don't ever recall anything selling this fast before or with this much hype. Maybe Halo 3 back in the day in terms of hype but not sure how that sold.

Still crazy numbers and congrats to SSM.

Top Bottom