• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök – Hands-on gameplay report

saintjules

Gods I hate that little kid, his dumbass mohawk, he went from curious kid to annoying teenager.

v1osiNj.png

Any good standout previews preferably from experienced players?

The playstation access preview said you can upgrade individual moves by using them e.g. the axe throw.

Pretty cool way to encourage you to use your full move set

3liteDragon

Polygon said:
God of War Ragnarök, like its predecessor, is also extremely easy on the eyes. Across icy vistas, sulfuric lakes, and Dwarven mines, I’ve seen incredible attention to detail in these rich, lifelike game spaces. But I’ve also been surprised at the return of load-masking, squeezing-through-narrow-gaps moments while playing it on PlayStation 5 — presumably a byproduct of Ragnarök also coming to PlayStation 4. At this stage of my playthrough, it does not look nor feel all that different from its last-gen yet beautiful predecessor. In other words, it doesn’t yet strike me as a next-gen leap forward, or a system showcase like PS5-exclusive games Demon’s Souls or Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. None of that will stop me from seeing Kratos and Atreus’ adventure through. Or exploring every nook and cranny of Midgar, Svartalfheim, Jotunheim, and the rest of the realms. Or spending hours chasing down every single one of Odin’s ravens as I check off everything in my list. And if there are Valkyries in this one, I’ll eventually bash my head against them too, until I come out on top. Sure, I want to see God of War’s Norse duology come to its conclusion, as I’m invested in the story. But it’s the comforting, polished gameplay of the first few hours that already has me hooked.

Count me in for however long it takes.
GameSpot said:
That's as much as I want to say about God of War Ragnarok, and as much detail as I want to go into, especially given how close we are to release. My main takeaway thus far is that it's doing all the right things and I'm confident it will be an enjoyable experience. What remains to be seen is whether it can go beyond this and elevate the experience further. Since Sony Santa Monica said Ragnarok will be the conclusion of Kratos's Norse myth, expectations are understandably high. With Thor and Odin involved, there's sure to be some heart-pounding set pieces, but I just hope that, through it all, the characters remain the heart and soul of the story.
Game Informer said:
So far, God of War Ragnarök is living up to the unfair expectations we’ve layed atop its imposing, pale shoulders. The first five hours of the game are impressive, but it also manages to feel like the surface has barely been scratched. I have my feet under me now. I remember the returning cast, I am getting familiar with the newcomers, and I’ve gotten the hang of parrying with my shield again. I am now ready to see the rest of the journey, and I can’t wait to see what happens next.
VGC said:
God of War Ragnarok makes a wonderful impression from the very beginning then. There are literally more iconic moments in this game’s first 60 minutes than most games get in their entire runtime, and really deserve to be experienced on the biggest screen you can possibly find. So far, we’re impressed with how much better the combat feels, and while we expected the game to perform well, the boosted framerate and level of detail make the PS5 version a huge step up from the original game. This is shaping up to be the PlayStation 5’s defining game.
MP1st said:
This may be premature for me to say, but I firmly believe we have a Game of the Year contender based on the few hours of gameplay the preview is based on. Mind you, I’m well past this point of the game as of today, and there is a lot — and I mean a lot — to talk= about in our upcoming review, but wow! I would be lying if I didn’t say I wasn’t impressed by what was delivered in the early chapters. Santa Monica has a lot of expectations to live up to, and if this preview is to serve as an indicator of what’s to come, I think the studio, as well as the fans, have nothing to worry about as God of War Ragnarok is proving to be strong follow up, and quite possibly an even better game. We’ll see you all on November 3, at 9:00 am PDT / 12:00 pm EDT / 4:00 pm GMT / 5:00 pm CEST when our full review is published.

sachos

This is a bit frustrating.

But yeah, probably the only thing I’ll notice being a nuisance I’ll notice in regards to the game being crossgen.

Fextralife said it has the best textures he’d ever seen in a game which bodes very well because I’m all about them textures.

This is exactly the problem with cross gen stuff. For the 100th time, its NOT just about graphics. Regardless, the game is looking to be amazing but it is frustrating that we will never see a fully PS5 only GoW, isnt this confirmed the last one?

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
This is exactly the problem with cross gen stuff. For the 100th time, its NOT just about graphics. Regardless, the game is looking to be amazing but it is frustrating that we will never see a fully PS5 only GoW, isnt this confirmed the last one?
Last one of this mythology/ part of the story. We're gonna get another one in another mythos - guaranteed. GOW is too big for Sony to sit on. WOuldnt be surprised if Corys next game is the next God of War in a new mythos

There aren't many games I genuinely look forward to...and this is most definitely one of those games.

I'm there without any hesitation.

If they suddenly decide a day before release that they are going to charge ten grand then I guess I will need to sell an organ, as this is day one for me....no excuses

Last edited:

yurinka

Sorry but I don’t believe for a second that they’re porting games to PC to lure PC-only gamers to buy a PS5 or that PC-only gamers would buy a PS5 just to play games Sony don’t port.
I think they’re porting games to sell more games. Both to PC-only gamers and also to PS5+PC gamers who double dip for better visuals and performance.
They are doing it for all these reasons, plus the one I said and another one: gamedev budgets for AAA went too high so they needed additional revenue sources to compensate the case of when one of them tanks.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
You have mastered the art of backhanded compliments when it comes to a certain console/publisher, I'll give you that...😉
Lol, I literally said what he said. Game looks great but maybe not as mind-blowing as the original (in the first 6 hours) as we don't have the intrigue of how they changed the game in this one. It pretty much plays as we know.

It's gonna be a twenty hour game minimum so I'm sure there is plenty opportunity for us to be surprised.

I only listened to the fextralife one on my work break as I trust his feedback and he likes similar games to myself

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Lol, I literally said what he said. Game looks great but maybe not as mind-blowing as the original (in the first 6 hours) as we don't have the intrigue of how they changed the game in this one. It pretty much plays as we know.

It's gonna be a twenty hour game minimum so I'm sure there is plenty opportunity for us to be surprised.

I only listened to the fextralife one on my work break as I trust his feedback and he likes similar games to myself
I literally said I pre-ordered it and am sure it will still be a great game, but I'm not hyped because the gameplay looks very similar. Still got multiple laugh emojis from superrrrrrrrrrrr sensitive people that can't handle that level of tepid criticism.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It fundamentally change how they design the game. Wasn’t that clear enough from Cerny talk? God of War was used as example of how the game was too much for previous gen to handle for god sake. Yet here are.

Fredrik

They are doing it for all these reasons, plus the one I said and another one: gamedev budgets for AAA went too high so they needed additional revenue sources to compensate the case of when one of them tanks.
Anecdotal evidence. Almost all my friends are PC gamers, some extremely hardcore, and from my experience the idea that console exclusives will somehow trick a PC-only gamer to buy a console is flawed. I have not once seen it happen. Tbh some don’t even realize the console IPs exist until they pop up on PC, and some can’t even play/aim with a controller.

Last edited:

GymWolf

From a preview:

"However, what I personally feel is the biggest improvement is the gore and dismemberment in Ragnarok. I felt that God of War 2018 made the idea of blood be a bit sacred, saving it for some key moments in the game. It made sense given that Kratos was trying to put his violent history behind him and raise his son, but I still missed it. Ragnarok see's a big return to carnage, as Kratos once again finds himself drenched in the blood of his enemies. There is a pretty gruesome scene early on I won't spoil, but they really don't hold back. And there are a large number of finishers you can pull off that all end in a pool of blood."

kratos-god-of-war.gif

Gudji

Don't think its the last GoW game but it is the last in norse mythology. Next will probably be in egypt or something.

Swift_Star

Banned
I literally said I pre-ordered it and am sure it will still be a great game, but I'm not hyped because the gameplay looks very similar. Still got multiple laugh emojis from superrrrrrrrrrrr sensitive people that can't handle that level of tepid criticism.
Well, yeah, it's a sequel, an iteration. Why were you expecting an overhaul in gameplay if that was never promised?

Last edited:

Lmao so they just found out how to do quick turn. When i watched their previous video and like wtf there's no quick turn now?
Gaming journalist...

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Well, yeah, it's a sequel, an iteration. Why were you expecting an overhaul in gameplay if that was never promised?
Not necessarily an overhaul, but just hoping for a little more than this. A new weapon of any kind. A little bit more of an evolution from the past game. Something like a normal sequel would accomplish for most action game series like Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, or DMC. Bayonetta is going for a new monster summon mode where you summon and control, plus a new character, plus there's probably new weapons. I wasn't expecting it at this point, but I was hoping. I think that's mostly going to come down to the story and spectacle moments, as I said in my post, not so much the gameplay which looks very similar so far.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Sigh.

Everyone expected this, but still disappointing to see.
This doesn't mean much. Games tend to start slow at the begging. Gow 2018 didn't have that problem with a few far in between. Also we don't know what length these squeeze through are. The problem is gamers as soon as they learn squeeze through are to mask loadings suddenly people are overreacting like never was done before

Swift_Star

Banned
Not necessarily an overhaul, but just hoping for a little more than this. A new weapon of any kind. A little bit more of an evolution from the past game. Something like a normal sequel would accomplish for most action game series like Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta, or DMC. Bayonetta is going for a new monster summon mode where you summon and control, plus a new character, plus there's probably new weapons. I wasn't expecting it at this point, but I was hoping. I think that's mostly going to come down to the story and spectacle moments, as I said in my post, not so much the gameplay which looks very similar so far.
You'll be able to use
Mjolnir
, so I really don't know what else to tell you. You don't even know what the game offers and are making assumptions. How about playing the game and then complain about it? Some of you, Jesus...

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You'll be able to use
Mjolnir
, so I really don't know what else to tell you. You don't even know what the game offers and are making assumptions. How about playing the game and then complain about it? Some of you, Jesus...
Well I didn't know that. I'm going off the marketing. But I guess thanks for spoiling that.

We're literally all commenting in the thread about this preview with bullet points from Sony that detail the features in the game. It's not my fault they are choosing to not detail hardly anything new about the gameplay. I'm allowed to comment in the preview thread about the preview. If you actually felt that people shouldn't comment without playing the game you'd be trying to mock every post in the thread, but you only have a problem with criticism apparently.

SLB1904

Banned
Well I didn't know that. I'm going off the marketing. But I guess thanks for spoiling that.

We're literally all commenting in the thread about this preview with bullet points from Sony that detail the features in the game. It's not my fault they are choosing to not detail hardly anything new about the gameplay. I'm allowed to comment in the preview thread about the preview. If you actually felt that people shouldn't comment without playing the game you'd be trying to mock every post in the thread, but you only have a problem with criticism apparently.
Dude that's a preview thread. Wtf. Should be common sense. If was a review thread I yiu find out there is nothing new that's one thing. They increase the numbers of enemies considerable. They expand the combat. One would expect some new weapons when they went out their way to add new shields with different moves

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This doesn't mean much. Games tend to start slow at the begging. Gow 2018 didn't have that problem with a few far in between. Also we don't know what length these squeeze through are. The problem is gamers as soon as they learn squeeze through are to mask loadings suddenly people are overreacting like never was done before

It means that the game has loading corridors because it has to run on PS4. It would not have had them if it had been exclusive to Ps5. If it has these kinds of compromises, it will have others.

It’s going to be a great game, but it’s going to be hamstrung by the need to run on nine year old hardware. That’s just a fact.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Dude that's a preview thread. Wtf. Should be common sense. If was a review thread I yiu find out there is nothing new that's one thing. They increase the numbers of enemies considerable. They expand the combat. One would expect some new weapons when they went out their way to add new shields with different moves
You're right. GOTY. My mistake.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I must be the only one that doesn't mind them too much. I like the close up view to see the textures, and while I know they are used to hide loading into the new areas (more often than not), it ads a hair of suspense sometimes when you come out the other side into a jaw dropping sight.

Kind of like when you're out exploring certain state parks and you come around a view blocked rocky area and it opens up to an amazing hidden waterfall.

It’s more what they indicate than what they are: compromise to fit on ancient hardware. As I say above, I doubt they’re the only ones in the game.

SLB1904

Banned
It means that the game has loading corridors because it has to run on PS4. It would not have had them if it had been exclusive to Ps5. If it has these kinds of compromises, it will have others.

It’s going to be a great game, but it’s going to be hamstrung by the need to run on nine year old hardware. That’s just a fact.
Meh. It is what it is. The game is cross gen. The expectations should go out of the window as soon as it was known

You're right. GOTY. My mistake.

Now that's petty lmfao

Last edited:

When you put it like that, talking about it needing to "run on nine year old hardware", it really puts into perspective the sacrifices that will have to be made.

I'm sure we'll get massively improved load times, some dual sense stuff, some improved visual elements, on ps5...but it won't be the full fat truly current gen version we all want it to be.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It’s more what they indicate than what they are: compromise to fit on ancient hardware. As I say above, I doubt they’re the only ones in the game.
Oh absolutely, even The Medium has them, where Ratchet & Clank does not and they are next gen only.

It clearly a side effect of being on slower I/O mechanical drives. I was just commenting on how when done right, it adds a sense of awe. But I can see knowing why they are there, can stifle some people's fun with it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
From a preview:

"However, what I personally feel is the biggest improvement is the gore and dismemberment in Ragnarok. I felt that God of War 2018 made the idea of blood be a bit sacred, saving it for some key moments in the game. It made sense given that Kratos was trying to put his violent history behind him and raise his son, but I still missed it. Ragnarok see's a big return to carnage, as Kratos once again finds himself drenched in the blood of his enemies. There is a pretty gruesome scene early on I won't spoil, but they really don't hold back. And there are a large number of finishers you can pull off that all end in a pool of blood."

kratos-god-of-war.gif

This sound amazing! Omg. Hyped.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
From a preview:

kratos-god-of-war.gif
hell yeah cmt GIF by Redneck Island

feynoob

Banned
From a preview:

kratos-god-of-war.gif
video games GIF

finally I hope to see this beauty.
2018 version made trash mobs boring to fight. This might make me fight them nonstop.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'm sure we'll get massively improved load times, some dual sense stuff, some improved visual elements, on ps5...but it won't be the full fat truly current gen version we all want it to be.

Yep. And that's a shame. And the reason it's like that is pure greed on Sony's part. Yes, the game would have sold less copies if it had been a Ps5 exclusive (although with 21 million Ps5's sold I doubt that would have been a big problem), but instead of allowing innovation - the thing that drives the industry forward and gets us better games - they chose to maximise sales, and put out a product already out of date. We'll forever have a compromised vision, because Jim couldn't possibly miss out on the maximum sales possible. It's disappointing.

But I'm sure this game pushes the Ps4 as hard as its possible to go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom