• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök – Hands-on gameplay report

Topher

Gold Member

"accidentally"

Austin Powers Movie GIF

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Jesus christ what's wrong with you.
The update version has the moonlight reflection. Look at the texture on Freyas leather.
The reflection on her skin. That's not color grading. We both know you are wrong but you going to try die on that hill lol
“Moonlight reflection” lol. The term you’re looking for is harsh lighting. Which I said they added in my post. The textures are largely the same. What makes the images different is largely The colour grading. Changed the entire mood of the image. This is a fact

Last edited:

GymWolf

“Moonlight reflection” lol. The term you’re looking for is harsh lighting. Which I said they added in my post. The textures are largely the same. What makes the images different is largely The colour grading. Changed the entire mood of the image. This is a fact
My dude what is your opinion on the whole "it looks barely better than gow2018, hfw looks much better while being open world" debacle?

I know you are a sony aficionado but i also know that you are more honest when it comes to graphic.

Do you had a small aneurysm while reading that tweet talking about best textures in gaming or ps6 graphic or what?

Dibils2k

why have they given the game out so early! fucking release it now or its gonna effect the launch with all the spoilers! for sure! only logical step is releasing digitally right this moment!

Represent.

My dude what is your opinion on the whole "it looks barely better than gow2018, hfw looks much better while being open world" debacle?

I know you are a sony aficionado but i also know that you are more honest when it comes to graphic.

Do you had a small aneurysm while reading that tweet talking about best textures in gaming or ps6 graphic or what?
Definitely looks like a super beefed up PS4 game but I think it’ll be saved by really damn good production values. And I think the kratos character model is excellent. HFW from what I’ve seen is definitely more impressive though. When I’m actually playing it I think it’ll be more impressive than what it looks like in screens though. That plus the OLED effect :messenger_sunglasses:

Still GOTY though just disappointed it’s cross gen

GymWolf

Definitely looks like a super beefed up PS4 game but I think it’ll be saved by really damn good production values. And I think the kratos character model is excellent. HFW from what I’ve seen is definitely more impressive though. When I’m actually playing it I think it’ll be more impressive than what it looks like in screens though. That plus the OLED effect :messenger_sunglasses:

Still GOTY though just disappointed it’s cross gen
Not sure about the super beefed up part unless you are talking about 4k120 stuff that is impossible on ps4.

I think kratos looks good because the ps4 model was already good, sure as hell not even close of what a ps5 can do.

A graphic whore like you not playing forbidden west, what are you waiting for?

The game is probably half as good as ragnarock but graphic are incredible for a crossgen.

Last edited:

Represent.

Not sure about the super beefed up part unless you are talking about 4k120 stuff that is impossible on ps4.

I think kratos looks good because the ps4 model was already good, sure as hell not even close of what a ps5 can do.

A graphic whore like you not playing forbidden west, what are you waiting for?

The game is probaboy half as good as ragnarock but graphic are incredible forc crossgen.
I put 100 hours into HFW on PS5 maybe u misread what I said lol. Most beautiful game I’ve ever played frankly. I meant from what I’ve seen from GOW, HDW is for sure more impressive

SLB1904

Banned
Ffs. I'm not looking for no term. The scene looks like under the moonlight. There is obviously texture upgrade. Just stop trying to sound smart.

GymWolf

I put 100 hours into HFW on PS5 maybe u misread what I said lol. Most beautiful game I’ve ever played frankly. I meant from what I’ve seen from GOW, HDW is for sure more impressive
You said from what i seen and i thought you were just talking about trailers and screens but not a direct playthrough of the game.

If you played 100 hours you saw more than enough:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
I wonder how long it will take for this game to be released on the PC. Otherwise, I'll have to steal my brother's PS5 for a few weeks.

Last edited:
I wonder how long it will take for this game to be released on the PC. Otherwise, I'll have to steal my brother's PS5 for a few weeks.
A good 2 years if not more. Sony will only port to PC after sucking the console sales dry. Then they will try to get some double dips on PC as well, beyond the PC-only sales.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm seeing a lot of people question why anyone would expect a jump like we saw from Ascension to 2018, but I don't think anyone expected that.

A reasonable expectation would have been the jump in power from God of War 2 to God of war 3, and I think that's what a lot of us would have liked.

Spectacle has always been a huge part of the appeal. If you are going to "launch" a God of War game on a new series of consoles, you shouldn't hold anything back. It should be a showcase for the console.
And you can't tell me they aren't being held back, if we are being shoved into crevices throughout the game.

Hey, at the end of the day, it's going to be a fun ride. I'm looking forward to it. But I will still critique and call Sony out when I see fit.

Katajx

Gold Member
Just from the small bits I have seen there it seems like they have addressed my biggest complaints about the last game by adding more enemy types and mini bosses.

solidus12

I hope the armors are better looking this time. Just let me transfer the stats of the best armor into the base one.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
More reasonable to expect GoW1 to GoW2 jump given it started development in 2018

Which I’m totally fine with, GoW2 is probably the best one outside of 2018

Well, given that the game is cross gen, yes, but I think that’s the issue.

When they announced this at the PS5 showcase, the expectation was a jump in power and tech beyond just a touch up to the PS5 version of a PS4 game.

I agree God of War 2 is the best in the franchise, but that’s not exactly the point.

Well, given that the game is cross gen, yes, but I think that’s the issue.

When they announced this at the PS5 showcase, the expectation was a jump in power and tech beyond just a touch up to the PS5 version of a PS4 game.

I agree God of War 2 is the best in the franchise, but that’s not exactly the point.

If you want a next gen game it would not have released this year and may have not been as ambitious and polished in terms of variety and scope

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
If you want a next gen game it would not have released this year and may have not been as ambitious and polished in terms of variety and scope
Personally, I'd rather wait a year, but I don't think that's necessarily a given.

It's not like it'd be the same game, just "next-gen". In theory, it'd be a different design. So when it would release is hard to say.

I'd argue that it'd probably be more ambitious in terms of scope and variety, just by the nature of having more power to work with, and therefore more possibilities, but who knows, right?

My intention isn't to rag on this game for what it is. I'm just disappointed with Sony's choice to not present us with a true next-gen showcase, two years into the console. This should be the absolute cream of the crop. It should set the tone for the generation. High expectations? I won't deny that. As I said, I'm sure this will be a great experience, but there should be nothing holding it back, and there simply is.

Last edited:
I don’t even understand why people preorder games they ARE hyped about, let alone ones they’re not even bothered about.

But each to their own.
I had a $300 credit card rebate thing from buying my contacts last year. Had to spend it before 10/31 when it expires. Couldn't really think of anything I wanted so I got that, Sonic Frontiers, Star Ocean and a Splatoon controller. 🤷‍♂️ without that credit I probably would have waited until it was $60. But I'm still looking forward to playing it. It will be a very good game I'm sure, I'm just not HYPED.

gow3isben

Yo when are we gonna start getting those sweet sweet tweets from reviewers hyping this up like crazy? Those usually start accumulating before the embargo.

Ffs. I'm not looking for no term. The scene looks like under the moonlight. There is obviously texture upgrade. Just stop trying to sound smart.
It would be some real bullshit if on ps5 the textured are largely the same as 2018

I'm still holding out hope that when it's running lon our actual tvs we'll see the improvement

I still just can't accept that of all games, after GoW 2018 being arguably the best looking game (along with LoU2) of the entire generation, that Ragnarok looks basically identical. This is with 5 years and the ps5 behind it. Even with it being cross gen you'd expect them to be able to really beef up the settings, especially things like textures. This is particularly upsetting as a ps5 owner because a year down the line when this gets its inevitable PC version you know that will get those beefed up settings that the ps5 version probably could've had.

OZ9000

Banned
Here is ours - https://www.gaminginstincts.com/god-of-war-ragnarok-preview-a-strong-start/

Review is on November 3rd, 2022. No new footage here, because no one was/is allowed to capture gameplay for the preview by the embargo rules, so they let us do a slideshow of new images. There will be new footage though for the reviews.

This seems like a fair and balanced preview

Key points
- Big enemy variety
- Story is good
- Cutscene heavy, which you may or may not like
- Core game is the same as 2018; as expected. Favours, Odin's Ravens (this was pretty shit in 2018 tbh), chests to loot
- Lots of 'lift up this heavy rock' or 'walk into this crack' moments; breaks the flow of the game and quite bothersome

I'm looking forward to it but it's such a damn shame this game had to exist on the PS4. The last point is the worst.

Top Bottom