• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök - Combat and Enemies Elevated | PS4, PS5

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
He's a black dude. Most likely west African descent with that sirname.
Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I was hoping for double everything on this compared to 2018.

Double enemies
Double boss
Double new weapons.

Seems like there going above that with the enemies and bosses so I am a happy bunny. Hopefully there's 2 new weapons as well.

Does anyone else feel Tyr will be playable or at least an ally like Atreus?

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Im dumb still isn’t it weird to leak peoples stuff?
Leak?
If she didnt want her face and name out there, she wouldnt have put her face and name in a trailer for arguably the most anticipated game of the year.

Theres a murderers row of developers working on GoWR who are "invisible" to the general public cuz they dont appear in hype material.
Its not a leak if you put yourself out there.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The video is good, but I think it's weird to not include the combat designers of the game. Why they are the animators and VFX artists are talking about combat intention? Probably they are all white dudes - it's a mystery.

Of the 5 people credited as combat designers for GoW2018 only 2 remain at Santa Monica, one is a white dude the other is an asian dude.

The guy-with-hat in the video credited as combat designer was credited as encounter designer for GoW2018 and honestly encounter design is combat design IMHO, but obviously I have no idea if they simply changed his credit or he's doing "non encounter combat design" on top of the encounter design he talks about in the video.

Neo_game

The video is good, but I think it's weird to not include the combat designers of the game. Why they are the animators and VFX artists are talking about combat intention? Probably they are all white dudes - it's a mystery.
Anyways, combat feels the same as GOW 2018 and that's good. I do prefer the previous treatment of Kratos - he was a pure rage. In GOW'18 he is telling to Atreus "Stay calm. Control your emotions" in the cinematic and releases the spartan rage in gameplay the next second.

Sure they could put all white guys in the video if they wanted but what is wrong in showing their team consist of diverse culture. lol.

Playing through the 2018 version currently (nearly finished). Getting this probably for Christmas but I have to say this looks almost identical in terms of visual fidelity and gameplay. Hopefully it's not too similar as it may get old fast.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Playing through the 2018 version currently (nearly finished). Getting this probably for Christmas but I have to say this looks almost identical in terms of visual fidelity and gameplay. Hopefully it's not too similar as it may get old fast.

The crossplatform curse strikes again.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Really enjoyed the first game. If this sequel is more of the same, but much more, then I'll be all in. Some day, since I don't have a PS5. :goog_relieved:

Yoboman

Anyways, combat feels the same as GOW 2018 and that's good. I do prefer the previous treatment of Kratos - he was a pure rage. In GOW'18 he is telling to Atreus "Stay calm. Control your emotions" in the cinematic and releases the spartan rage in gameplay the next second.
Some people just aren't good at or don't like to be in these types of videos. Eg the director is barely featured at all, which is the opposite of Barlog

I can put why, because you are like my brother, liberal idiot. It would look strange if he only had that info and shared it without her consent but the info is available on world wide web site that she posted herself.
Wait what no I’m not pretentious enough To care if someone is liked that’s for the sjws i was specifically talking about leaking screenshots I say similar when a dudes screens are leaked

Leak?
If she didnt want her face and name out there, she wouldnt have put her face and name in a trailer for arguably the most anticipated game of the year.

Theres a murderers row of developers working on GoWR who are "invisible" to the general public cuz they dont appear in hype material.
Its not a leak if you put yourself out there.
Are you required to market or are you allowed to stay hidden?

Unknown?

Yep, I admit it. I didn't get the joke at all
The first guy said combat designers were probably not highlighted because they're all white. The next guy showed a combat designer.
Sure they could put all white guys in the video if they wanted but what is wrong in showing their team consist of diverse culture. lol.
Mainstream diversity means anything but white and everything white is the same, no cultural differences at all! Oh and NEVER means diversity of thought, you have to all think the same or you're a bigot.

Because the VFX is what makes the combat look and feel like combat. Duh.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
The game will presumably be rated M, so I don't think this really makes much sense. I think the game is just not particularly gory outside of the scripted finishers. I'm not too upset because everything else about the game sounds great, but I do wish they would have upped the gore from the last one.
I might misremember, but in GOW 1-3 the gory parts were... the scripted finishers?

drotahorror

I might misremember, but in GOW 1-3 the gory parts were... the scripted finishers?

Plenty of blood, very first fight in God of War 3.

God of War 1, still plenty of blood splatters and flying blood.

Same with God of War 2.

These amazing VFX artists put all their time and effort into creating (awesome) looking effects when these elemental weapons make contact with...anything but skin/flesh. I mean I'm still excited af but would love a blood code for this game.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
They really seem to have improved all main problems of the first game by adding more verticality and more ennemy variety. Contrary to Guerrilla with Horizon 2 they actually listened to players complaints which is awesome.
Flying mount, bigger weapon wheel, more machines, better quests, underwater exploration, better facial animations and better voice acting isn't listening to players now 🤦‍♂️

Hot5pur

Hopefully this game focuses more on action and less on slow walking / cinematic sequences. Also enemy/boss variety was terrible.
Looking good so far.

I would say “maybe I’m just blind” but I just got a new optometrist, an upgraded prescription, and a new pair of glasses. The combat still doesn’t look fluid to me.

Edit: nvm that’s just with the axe

Last edited:

Neolombax

I didn't see the gore, it looks even more toned down compared to the first game? In any case, I'm still fine with it. I just hope there's more weapons this time around, the Leviathan axe and Blades of Chaos are fun and fine, but I'd like to play with something different please.

Black_Stride

Are you required to market or are you allowed to stay hidden?
Of course you can stay hidden.
Some of the most talented texture artists I know dont have any public facing social media, even their linkedin profiles dont have their pictures.
If you are private person, especially in this industry where fans are super passionate, you can be effectively a ghost.

Of course you can stay hidden.
Some of the most talented texture artists I know dont have any public facing social media, even their linkedin profiles dont have their pictures.
If you are private person, especially in this industry where fans are super passionate, you can be effectively a ghost.
I was worried since I want to be a game dev

Black_Stride

I was worried since I want to be a game dev
Assuming you are making a good game, you will need a publisher, you will likely have to sell your game to them, which will involve some pimping of yourself to news outlets, at GDC, random Youtubers, wherever, to actually get the game published.
If you just want to be one of the cogs in the machine, you could probably be invisible......but youll have to get into the machine, which will require some heavy pimping to begin with.

What part of Game Dev are you planning on getting into?

Top Bottom