• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök music production intern Jessica Mao says she wasn't credited for contribution to the game

jakinov

Obligatory: “please refrain from hot takes” until we get more info, but it’s not looking good for Santa Monica - putting anyone that worked on the game for even 5 minutes doesn’t cost anything. “Minimum criteria” lol.
Cost the value of the credit. Employees come and go. If it was easy to get credit you could just join a bunch of companies and say u worked on X, Y, Z. Even though you did minimal work. It means more to have a standard. This is what’s done in other industries too. A writer could contribute to 49% of a script and not get a writers credit on a movie.

Recall all those ex-blah blah devs created this company or joined this company. Being known for working on stuff has weight to it.

Also, vast majority of work doesn’t even have credits. If they want to do a credit system and have a standard to it they should be able to do it especially to maintain the value of a credit. Lots of other areas especially non creative they’ll name just the very top contributors.

It's really funny how people cry victim without due course or investigation. We just go on Twitter and cry for the general public to make a fuss for us, then we tell the whole world how much a piece of shit SSM is, then they receive death threats or start giving grief to staff. Honestly the internet and people these days just makes your piss boil. It's every single time something like this happens. So predictable and yet infuriating.

I haven't from a few friends who work for TT games and their outsourcing companies that these things aren't as cut and dried as you think. One person I know didn't respond to an email regarding credits in a game so they didn't get credited. However they work for an outsourcing company who stated if any future employer needs to confirm they worked on that project they can give a reference with all information and even get a letter from HR at TT. Another friend who worked for the same company was informed in his contract that they wouldn't receive credit due to short term contract involvement but again the company will be credited and they can get references if necessary to prove they worked on the project, for how long, what they did etc.

In some cases it's a mistake. SSM employees have already stated they're going to question what's happened. It probably can be fixed in some way. IDGA are trying to solve problems like this but what a time to maximize your outreach for outrage when the game is at its prime.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
lol at "music producer" in the title

So she was an intern, worked there for 4 moths, and from the description it was a very minor intern kind of job

Still, if she worked on it, even for a day, she deserved to be put in the credits. Legaly, they have no obligation to do so, so tough luck.

One thing is certain tho: making it public and painting SSM in a bad light is not a good look if you want to keep working on the videogame industry.

Send them an e-mail, hire a lawyer. Taking things to Twitter is not the right way, even when you are right.

Definitely should have been credited, but I also agree and don't think jumping on twitter to air grievances is the best way.

I once spoke to someone who did an internship at Guerrilla Games during the development of KZ2 and he was in the credits.

But that might have been a smaller team at the time, so who knows.

One of the reasons I asked that question is that my son is in college for 3D graphics arts and hopes to work in the industry. I was curious as to what he could expect if/when he actually works on a game. Good to be informed about such things before jumping in with unfounded expectations.

Last edited:

Kikorin

I remember something similar happened with Metroid Dread, but when all the situation has been cleared up, it make sense. Anyway I guess would be basically harmless to add another name at the ends credits that none care about, is just something good for the curriculum of the people credited.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Cant you just tell everyone you're in the credits? Who is going to beat that long game on a repeat playthrough of
The Ironwood
just to check?

zpdmI7T.jpg

ZoukGalaxy

So, best way was to beg on Twitter ? Okay sure
As others pointed out, not a line about this on linkedln

I think the housemaid should be credited for the contribution too
shake it cleaning GIF by Feud

Honestly, alot of game companies have minimum of hours / months on a project required criteria to add your name to the credits, some require that you you must still be employed by the company at the time of release to get your name in credits (probably a way to discourage switching studios before the game ships) , and on big productions it's very frequent for some names to be forgotten, especially on studios with multiple projects and people that keep changing assignations, which is usually why they ask for individual employees to take a look at the final draft of the the credits before it's sent for localization in all regions and finalized (because let's face it, the only people that care about their names in the credits are the people themselves, nobody else reads them) . Maybe she missed the internal memo about checking the credits to make sure your name is in there before release, and now she's whining about it... That's probably it imho.

Also just because you contributed to a part of a game doesn't always net you a name in the credits, especially if your contribution is minor, your stuff got cut or if people simply forgot you even worked a feature...

Honestly, always sucks to be left behind, but these things happen, and honestly, it's not like anyone actually looks at every name in the credits in a game.... But I can't really blame Ragnarok for now wanting to patch the credits because a person didn't have her name shown in the credits. Maybe if they get like 200 people whining about having been forgotten it could be worth to update it, but they sure has hell won't go to the trouble of fixing the credits in all localized version because the name of a lone person was forgotten and they feel wronged about it... Again not like recruiters are gonna play a 200+ hour game and pause the credits in the right section to see if their new potential liar is lying about her Resume or something...

Last edited:

Hip Hop

How a music producer not credited? Someone with that title should have a lengthy work done innit?
People that wrote one sentence in a verse or one sound in a song get royalties for just that.

I have a hunch she did way more than just that and she gets tossed to the side.

Justin9mm

As she was an intern for like 4 months, I'm going to say this was probably a case of forgetting to put her in, she was left off a list when making the credits. Minimum Criteria was probably an initial excuse to cover their mistake.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Its a joke you clown. I haven't started God of War yet. I just see everyone mentioning it in the OT. Its supposed to be funny. Try to not be such a console troll every second of the day. Please.
The complaints mostly come from green warriors like you. The fact that you know about it already without even playing the game says it all. You clowned yourself.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Saving this thread as it would be really funny when a similar thing happens but instead of Sony it is Ubisoft and then comparing the posts from the same people.

As she was an intern for like 4 months, I'm going to say this was probably a case of forgetting to put her in, she was left off a list when making the credits. Minimum Criteria was probably an initial excuse to cover their mistake.
To be fair alot of game companies don't include internships as part of the credits... Only people that were on the payroll.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Saving this thread as it would be really funny when a similar thing happens but instead of Sony it is Ubisoft and then comparing the posts from the same people.
There was a thread about Mick Gordon (Bethesda) this week and the thread only had 3 pages and it's already dead.

This thread started a few hours ago and it's already on page 4 soon. Why do you think?

Topher

Gold Member
How dare you, Topher Topher , you vile and filthy whoreson!!!

How dare you do a google search and provide the thread with more context for the discussion topic at hand!

Did it not once occur to you how much context can make fragile egotistical Gaf posters meltdown... think of the children, you callous sociopath!!!

/s... obviously.

I'm just a big mean jerk, ain't I? :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Meanwhile, Jessica Mao felt it was necessary to point out to Twitter what her role at Santa Monica Studios was as there was, in her words, "some misinformation" about that. Apparently, she did not feel that this was "pointless piece of information" that "adds nothing".

Last edited:
Did she contatct SSM, directly, to resove the issue , or did she go full "cry me a river"mod, by tweeting about it, before getting in touch with her previous employer? The former is understandable; The latter is a "got you!" moment that shoyld deserve no attention from any decent person...

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Just shows me the catastrophic epidemic of narcissism we're faced with today.

Look, its unfortunate she didn't get credited, but lets be honest here; is not being credited for a 3 month internship really something worth publicizing?
Like, seriously was her contribution really so significant that it justifies attention? Honestly, I just don't think so. She should be happy she got a shot, and if any of her work made it to the final product she ought to be super-stoked just about that.

Fucking sick and tired of this culture of participation trophies. If she was so shit-hot she'd probably been offered a position at SSM, that's kinda the premise of internships!

0neAnd0nly

I feel like every major release today is going to be attached to some drama. Feels like we just live in that timeline.

I also feel like I can constantly guess what the person believes and supports a solid 99.9% of time.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Interns usually are just starting out and take an internship to get work experience and credit. They normally get paid little to nothing, their pay is work experience they can put on a resume and credit for their work.

Most AAA companies have credits that run 1/2hr to 1hr and every person that had anything to do with the game is listed, the guy that delivered pizzas, wives, husbands, babies, dogs, cats (understandable, cats make great contributions) so she should probably be included in the credits. I don't think this is some huge scandal though, I doubt she made a lot of major contributions to the game.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

To be fair alot of game companies don't include internships as part of the credits... Only people that were on the payroll.
Someone did post an ad somewhere I think from Santa Monica saying as an intern you would be credited so that's why I assume it's most likely they just forgot about her but who knows.. It's all speculation.

Justin9mm

Look, its unfortunate she didn't get credited, but lets be honest here; is not being credited for a 3 month internship really something worth publicizing?
Like, seriously was her contribution really so significant that it justifies attention? Honestly, I just don't think so. She should be happy she got a shot, and if any of her work made it to the final product she ought to be super-stoked just about that.

Fucking sick and tired of this culture of participation trophies. If she was so shit-hot she'd probably been offered a position at SSM, that's kinda the premise of internships!
Agreed. The fact she went public about it probably says a lot about her and why her internship did not turn into a job. Maybe she genuinely got shafted, maybe she is just another self-entitled person who thinks she's owed everything in life. We will never know.

Last edited:

Her tweets are terribly ill-conceived.

As an intern looking to make a career in this industry, does it really make sense to go to a very public platform like Twitter to cast SSM because they didn't credit your contribution?

By all means, take it up privately with the studio, but to go public?

I'd be surprised if she ever finds work again in this industry after this.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Someone did post an ad somewhere I think from Santa Monica saying as an intern you would be credited so that's why I assume it's most likely they just forgot about her but who knows.. It's all speculation.
I read that's because she wasn't an intern at SSM but at PDSG, a Sony support studio.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My company built up a new brand from about 5 years ago. It's worth about $50M Cdn now. If we're at $50M, the US is probably at $500M. Great job by all involved to get it off the ground. As well as whomever it is in R&D to even make it.

Never seen one person say they want their name on the product or on the brand's website saying they did it.

Last edited:
My company built up a new brand from about 5 years ago. It's worth about $50M Cdn now. If we're at $50M, the US is probably at $500M. Great job by all involved to get it off the ground. As well as whomever it is in R&D to even make it.

Never seen one person say they want their name on the product or on the brand's website saying they did it.

I mean, its a resume builder so its understandable why an intern wants credit on one of the biggest games of the year.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I brought sandwiches to the boardroom where they were discussing Ragnarok, why am I not credited! :messenger_loudly_crying:
I gave the idea that God of war was Nordic on Twitter... And my credits?:messenger_crying::messenger_crying::messenger_crying:

Janitor: I cleaned the Santa Monica Offices... and my credits? 👨‍🏭👨‍🏭👨‍🏭

funciones-de-un-conserje.jpg

Doggy : I was in the Official commercial... and my credits? 🐶🐶🐶

H3L4M6BAHZBXZNWNBQGHBDDAKQ.jpg

Top Bottom