• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök New Game Plus is available now

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
They put a lot of effort into things people do care about though, can’t complain about enemy variety, bosses, side content, etc.

What’s there is incredible but it’s brought down a bit by poor pacing
I don't think more content/enemies/side-quests necessarily equals "better". I can't remember a single boss fight sitting here typing this - except maybe the original Thor boss fight that stood out as interesting, memorable, or enjoyable. Everything else was forgettable. The side content didn't offer the level of incentive that would compel the average gamer to finish them - I know I certainly didn't bother.

I would trade 5 of Ragnarok's "meh" bosses for more spectacle, brutality, or some interesting new weapons. 2018 struck a remarkable balance between retaining the essence of the franchise with an evolution of Kratos into a more mature and introspective character. GOW:R didn't have that same confidence - it tried to tick too many boxes IMO.

Senua

I don't get why take soo long to add a ng+.

GoW 2016 have the same problem. Took ages to implement a ng+
To breathe new life and to get people to return at a later date perhaps?

Horror Cant Believe It GIF by Gerbert!

I don't think more content/enemies/side-quests necessarily equals "better". I can't remember a single boss fight sitting here typing this - except maybe the original Thor boss fight that stood out as interesting, memorable, or enjoyable. Everything else was forgettable. The side content didn't offer the level of incentive that would compel the average gamer to finish them - I know I certainly didn't bother.

I would trade 5 of Ragnarok's "meh" bosses for more spectacle, brutality, or some interesting new weapons. 2018 struck a remarkable balance between retaining the essence of the franchise with an evolution of Kratos into a more mature and introspective character. GOW:R didn't have that same confidence - it tried to tick too many boxes IMO.

Cant Remember Dakota Johnson GIF by NETFLIX
Remembering Double Cross GIF by ALLBLK
Cant Remember Joe Biden GIF

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

It was a bloated, poorly paced mess. But of course, console warriors can't accept people having that opinion and rely on insults and mockery.

SCB3

It's a fucking awful game, when you FINALLY get a good pace and FUN with Kratos they say, "HOLD UP, TOO MUCH FUN, here's the stupid squirt with his shitty gameplay".

Also the story is Marvel(which is pure shit)/Soap Opera bad, the characters doing the dumbest shit also they made Kratos into Drax(Gunn's moron Drax) from Guardians of the Galaxy.
Are we being wrong for wrongs sake or is this a bad troll?

hemo memo

Gold Member
Cool for those who want it.

But I'm not slogging through that again.

I really liked this game but I'm not reinstalling to go through it again, just thinking about the angrboda section makes me get drowsy lol

Berserker King and Queen Gna even harder in NG+? No fucking thanks. I almost had a heart attack fighting these 2 bosses after losing probably 100+ times. I don't need that feeling again.

What I need is DLC. Give me Loki's journey DLC.

Same, I lost interest when I was going through the abandoned town with Freya.

I totally forgot I was playing it, can't really be bothered finishing it, I found it quite boring overall. Same thing happened with 2018 though, should have learned my lesson.

Not really sure why people seem to love the combat so much, it's either damage sponges and you die in 3/4 hits or satisfying enemy health bar values but you cant die without being a moron and enemy aggression is pathetic, I wasn't able to find a good balance.

I wish it had a difficulty customisation screen like Guardians of the Galaxy, I also wouldn't have played that through if it didn't have the option to increase my damage output but keep the enemies aggressive and doing decent damage against me.

I had the same thought. I just didn't like the combat very much (liked
atreus much better
, the story was...meh...(voice acting all around was pretty good, especially Odin)...the writing was meh...It just...felt like a super produced and high production value game that was just alright to me. But I can see how others may like it.

I didn't particularly care for it, but some other folks dug it. They may give a better opinion. Progression wasn't so bad...it just...felt...I dunno....not engaging to me.

Same, I’m not go through those slow walking section and puzzles again.

yeaaaah no thanks guys..

Game was an overbloated mess. The more I think about it the more I believe that the experience was straight up awful. Never ever touching this again.

Honeymoon is officially over I see.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So no name youtuber posted a video that has 89 views calling it marvel of war, so it must be true right?
no name youtuber? lmao dude thats me. im not a youtuber lol i captured that video as proof of the game's quips in one of gaf threads about the game last year. Listen to the dialogue and how these people are talking. If you didnt watch the video and just listened to it, you'd think this was from Uncharted. there was no metacommentary there from me. just actual dialogue from the game. This is a game where kratos and mimir literally make fun of Loki's smell from hitting puberty. This is a game where Kratos literally asks mimir if his son knows how to have sex. What kind of fucked up god of war is this.

Mod of War Mod of War This was not self promotion. My channel isnt monetized. I captured this video for a gaf thread about the game being too comedic sometime last year. I have previously used that channel to capture PC benchmarks to post on gaf when other footage isnt available. We do this all the time in tech threads. Just so we can show proof of what we are talking about. I was just about to capture some footage in TLOU PC thread. If that is frowned upon, let me know.

GHG

Gold Member
no name youtuber? lmao dude thats me. im not a youtuber lol i captured that video as proof of the game's quips in one of gaf threads about the game last year. Listen to the dialogue and how these people are talking. If you didnt watch the video and just listened to it, you'd think this was from Uncharted. there was no metacommentary there from me. just actual dialogue from the game. This is a game where kratos and mimir literally make fun of Loki's smell from hitting puberty. This is a game where Kratos literally asks mimir if his son knows how to have sex. What kind of fucked up god of war is this.

Mod of War Mod of War This was not self promotion. My channel isnt monetized. I captured this video for a gaf thread about the game being too comedic sometime last year. I have previously used that channel to capture PC benchmarks to post on gaf when other footage isnt available. We do this all the time in tech threads. Just so we can show proof of what we are talking about. I was just about to capture some footage in TLOU PC thread. If that is frowned upon, let me know.

So hold the phone, that's actually your channel?

I made a joke about the name of the channel because it aligns with your stance on most things and it got deleted for "warring"?

No jokes allowed then I guess, even if they are on point.

SlimySnake

Mods, can we ban this dude for self-promoting his channel?
so it was you who got me a warning!

alpacino-godfather.gif

200.gif

So hold the phone, that's actually your channel?

I made a joke about the name of the channel because it aligns with your stance on most things and it got deleted for "warring"?

No jokes allowed then I guess, even if they are on point.
lol yes. Sorry you got modded. I thought it was funny. I chose TheNegativeDude as an online alias some 20 years ago when one of my friends called me a negative dude. I thought it was hilarious and have no problems people mocking me for it. I chose it specifically because its funny and describes me perfectly. Just like my tag here which is apt.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Lol
so it was you who got me a warning!

alpacino-godfather.gif

200.gif

lol yes. Sorry you got modded. I thought it was funny. I chose TheNegativeDude as an online alias some 20 years ago when one of my friends called me a negative dude. I thought it was hilarious and have no problems people mocking me for it. I chose it specifically because its funny and describes me perfectly. Just like my tag here which is apt.
Lol i hope not, the mods know that i'm the only one in the forum who actually likes you:lollipop_squinting:

SlimySnake

Maybe its because i played the game 3 times but I remember the dual valkyrie fight as being very memorable. The whole setpiece with Doggo was peak God of War and frankly, thats what the ending shouldve been like. A big setpeice with Thor and Odin vs Kratos, Freya, Loki and doggo. You and I both love GOW3 and I was seriously hoping that this game would have balls to the wall action like that game.

I loved the crater level. But yes, they shouldve just focused on 1-2 of those and focused on setpieces instead. Having 6 open/hub world areas is just too much.

thefool

Only thing I wish I could do is play the berserkers on ng+. Go to some arena, use my build, select which berserker i wanted to fight and have fun.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Maybe its because i played the game 3 times but I remember the dual valkyrie fight as being very memorable. The whole setpiece with Doggo was peak God of War and frankly, thats what the ending shouldve been like. A big setpeice with Thor and Odin vs Kratos, Freya, Loki and doggo. You and I both love GOW3 and I was seriously hoping that this game would have balls to the wall action like that game.

I loved the crater level. But yes, they shouldve just focused on 1-2 of those and focused on setpieces instead. Having 6 open/hub world areas is just too much.

Wtf is doggo?

Raven117

Gold Member
It's a fucking awful game, when you FINALLY get a good pace and FUN with Kratos they say, "HOLD UP, TOO MUCH FUN, here's the stupid squirt with his shitty gameplay".

Also the story is Marvel(which is pure shit)/Soap Opera bad, the characters doing the dumbest shit also they made Kratos into Drax(Gunn's moron Drax) from Guardians of the Galaxy.
(I actually liked the squirt's gameplay better....better movement...but regardless....there was always something to get in your way of whatever fun there was there).
I love the game as a first play through, but the slog is real
Seems like we aren't alone in this nowadays.

Aaron Olive

Yeah the end fight was the weakest ever.

jaysius

Banned
Are we being wrong for wrongs sake or is this a bad troll?
Fucking love fanatics, any opinion that you don't like is instantly a TROLL.

Even if I posted my point by point critique I've posted multiple times, clowns like these would still say "TROLLLL POSTTT". They'll just perpetually move the goal post.

This poster was the troll.

Last edited:

yurinka

This is a ton of cool content for NG+, on top of the huge amount of great content that the game already had for the endgame with lots of side content and high level stuff. Great for those interested, but after the platinum I'm not interested to go back.

I already invested a shit ton of hours in the game and had enough.

Last edited:
RE games are so much more replayable its not even funny. RE4 has a forced walking section that lasts maybe 1 minute and i was like wtf get this shit out of my RE!

In GOW, that last 15 minutes to 2 hours. Every 2 hours. They wanted to copy Naughty Dog so bad they became Naughty Dog on steroids. Ironwood will be this game's legacy. Whoever designed that level should be fired and sent to Azkaban.
Hey now ironwood is pretty bad but it's NOWHERE near as bad as Naughty dogs worst walk talky sections.

Even in ironwood you get regular combat sections in uncharted 4 you literally do nothing for 30 to 40 minutes.

I think the problem with ironwood is atreus is just not as fun as Kratos in combat. It's the longest atreus section and nothing interesting happens in the story.

Pacing wise I would be surprised if it's any different to the rest of ragnarok in regards to how it's spaces out combat, exploration and story stuff

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Hey now ironwood is pretty bad but it's NOWHERE near as bad as Naughty dogs worst walk talky sections.

Even in ironwood you get regular combat sections in uncharted 4 you literally do nothing for 30 to 40 minutes.

I think the problem with ironwood is atreus is just not as fun as Kratos in combat. It's the longest atreus section and nothing interesting happens in the story.

Pacing wise I would be surprised if it's any different to the rest of ragnarok in regards to how it's spaces out combat, exploration and story stuff

In terms of gampelay, I agree. Ironwood had far more robust gameplay moments. IN terms of writing? Nah, Ironwood is by far worse. I don't think naughty dog games are typically well written (At least since druckmann took over), but they aren't CW levels of bad like Ironwood is.

TVexperto

what an awful game, its somehow worse than the first one they did. really felt like a bad DLC than a new game...also loosing all your powers from the first game was such an uninteresting gameplay choice

In terms of gampelay, I agree. Ironwood had far more robust gameplay moments. IN terms of writing? Nah, Ironwood is by far worse. I don't think naughty dog games are typically well written (At least since druckmann took over), but they aren't CW levels of bad like Ironwood is.h
What's bad about Ironwoods writing that's not as bad in naughty dogs games? What does CW mean as well.

I never looked at it from that angle. I thought the general complaint was that's it too much walking and talking and not much combat or exploration.( That's certainly what slimys saying anyway)

Other than the Yak section it's really not that bad there's regular combat encounters sprinkled throughout. Compare that to uncharted 4 where you don't have a single combat encounter for 4 chapters.

Anyway I am repeating myself but I am interested in what you mean about the writing

Puscifer

Gold Member
They put a lot of effort into things people do care about though, can’t complain about enemy variety, bosses, side content, etc.

What’s there is incredible but it’s brought down a bit by poor pacing
Can confirm, The Deserts of Vanaheim alone had me fully complete the area over 2 nights because it was just that damn good!

And being able to parry and hit large enemies and bosses with a great amount of visual feedback made me feel like a God of War again vs just smacking them with an axe and watching the bar go down.

I just keep hoping they make Atreus, Mimir and what's hee face stop giving out hints at the beginning of every puzzle.

It's taken this game from a 9.5 down to a 7.5 for me. Seriously hurts the experience and I can't fathom how the devs thought this was a good idea.

Also surprised they havnt adjusted this in a patch because a lot of people complained about this. I guess the damage was already done when the "games media" gave out nothing buy 9 and 10 review scores. What a joke they are when it comes to really hyped games.

The 2018 GoW was not nearly as bad with this aspect of the game. It's a shame.

In terms of gampelay, I agree. Ironwood had far more robust gameplay moments. IN terms of writing? Nah, Ironwood is by far worse. I don't think naughty dog games are typically well written (At least since druckmann took over), but they aren't CW levels of bad like Ironwood is.

Thank you! Glad I'm not the only one who hated the writing in that section. I was rolling my eyes and cringing throughout that.

I wonder how much of that writing was from Alanna Pearce...first she shows up in a side quest in Cyberpunk the next thing she's hired as a writer for Ragnarok ...and ragnaroks writing got worse. Not saying it's all her fault but it's clear she got hired because she's a pretty e-celeb.

Edge Lord

I liked the combat in this game compared to 2018 one.Other than that, not going through that slog again.They made kratos a side character in his own game.i feel like he had no contribution to the story.They shouldn't have touched the series after how gow3 ended.

Top Bottom