• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök on PS5 - The Digital Foundry Tech Review

GymWolf

Bro, come on this isn't just lighting
Just as an example
5LdPAe4.jpg
oLkh9kq.jpg

No amount of adjusted lighting or higher bit rate capture is gonna fix that because it's been downgraded
Tbf it looks pretty meh in both.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It's weird, I just started playing this, and while DF says the performance mode is a locked 60fps it does not feel that way to me. Not like there's any big drops or anything, but specifically when panning the camera around I'm seeing some "judder", it doesn't feel quite as smooth as games that are actually locked 60. It's like it's dropping a frame here and there, or maybe a case of improper frame pacing (but I can't believe John would have missed that). Not using the HFR mode, just the normal performance mode (don't have a VRR TV).

No, I don't have any weird settings enabled on my TV or anything (and other 60fps games have not exhibited this behavior on it). Maybe my PS5 is dying, but this seems like a weird way for that to show.

Imtjnotu

It's weird, I just started playing this, and while DF says the performance mode is a locked 60fps it does not feel that way to me. Not like there's any big drops or anything, but specifically when panning the camera around I'm seeing some "judder", it doesn't feel quite as smooth as games that are actually locked 60. It's like it's dropping a frame here and there, or maybe a case of improper frame pacing (but I can't believe John would have missed that). Not using the HFR mode, just the normal performance mode (don't have a VRR TV).

No, I don't have any weird settings enabled on my TV or anything (and other 60fps games have not exhibited this behavior on it). Maybe my PS5 is dying, but this seems like a weird way for that to show.
No issues here with that. Try resetting your ps5 if you always throw it in sleep mode

Try removing motion blur.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There also seem to be some other bugs in this game, like if you pick up two items in quick succession (or maybe it's when it's two of the same thing) it won't show what the second one is. Stuff like that bugs me.

Edit: Also how every time you die Kratos switches back to the axe, even if you were using the blades. But this isn't the thread for that...

Last edited:

tommib

I can confirm this. When it gets busy visually you can feel some judder when panning. It’s mostly visible in the dwarf city. At least that’s where I noticed it for the first time. Frame drops don’t bother me and I couldn’t care less but it’s indeed not a 100% stable 60 fps.

Performance mode here.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I can confirm this. When it gets busy visually you can’t feel some judder when panning. It’s mostly visible in the dwarf city. At least that’s where I noticed it for the first time. Frame drops don’t bother me and I couldn’t care less but it’s indeed not a 100% stable 60 fps.

Performance mode here.

I noticed it in the very first forest area around the house. It's not much, but enough to not feel perfectly smoooth like proper 60fps should. It might not even be actual frame drops but just some very slight camera pan stutter (which could explain why DF's frame rate graphs didn't catch it).

tommib

I noticed it in the very first forest area around the house. It's not much, but enough to not feel perfectly smoooth like proper 60fps should. It might not even be actual frame drops but just some very slight camera pan stutter (which could explain why DF's frame rate graphs didn't catch it).
I do think they’re frame drops because I feel them when there’s a lot of geometry being rendered. It’s very occasional though. Totally not an issue.

s-bojan

Banned
I’ve played the whole game in hfr mode and it worked nicely, except when fighting against shielded opponent. There is a move where he lifts his hand and you have to hit it. At that moment game becomes really laggy, even auto aim stops working.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I do think they’re frame drops because I feel them when there’s a lot of geometry being rendered. It’s very occasional though. Totally not an issue.

Yeah, just weird that DF claims the performance mode is a rock solid 60. On my PS5 it isn't, or at least it doesn't feel quite like it at all times (at other times it is though).

Funnily enough, I had pretty much the exact same issue with Miles Morales in the RT Performance mode. Smooth, but definitely with some rather noticeable drops when swinging down certain streets etc. Don't think DF caught that either.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
if anything, motion blur helps to make THE MOTION smoother.

RoadHazard RoadHazard disable VRR at console level or disable HFR mode if you want locked 60. Otherwise it's 60+ fps

I don't have a VRR TV, so the HFR option isn't even available for me (it's greyed out). So I'm definitely using the standard (supposedly locked) 60fps mode.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Just reached the dwarf city, and yeah, it's a lot more noticeable here. Very apparent stutters (well, apparent to me, might just be a frame dropped here and there) whenever I pan the camera around.

Last edited:
Anyone else think the performance mode is best as in not the 40fps one or the unlocked performance one but the standard 60fps mode as it’s a higher res?
Its the best mode imo, you get the butter smooth of 60fps while enjoying near 4k as its hard to tell the difference between 1880p and 4k native with their dynamic resolution scaling

Unlocked + VRR is god tier smooth but the 1440p resolution is definitely noticable and after a few hrs of back and forth i stayed with performance mode locked. The 1880p vs 1440p is really noticable once you get to the first “village” area with tons of detail everywhere

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Anyone else think the performance mode is best as in not the 40fps one or the unlocked performance one but the standard 60fps mode as it’s a higher res?
Nope. Game looks noticeably worse in performance. I want whatever DF was smoking.

Beechos

The game looks amazing and clean as fuck. Only dissappointing thing to me tech wise is the small arenas when you fight enemies and the lack of enemy density which im assuming is because of crossgen holding those 2 things back.

Mine is silky smooth.

With or without VRR enabled (had to try it without to check if I could fix some ghosting issues with my TV, thankfully I found a solution without having to keep it that way).

Maybe there is some problem with your HDMI cable or input? A defective cable could force your 4k output to 30hz (maybe).

Just reached the dwarf city, and yeah, it's a lot more noticeable here. Very apparent stutters (well, apparent to me, might just be a frame dropped here and there) whenever I pan the camera around.
What platform are you plauing?
PS5 here on 40fps mode and 0 stutters so far, barely (if any) pop-in, no frame drops.

Are you playing on PS4 or the Pro?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yeah, i had the camera stutters in the 40 fps unlocked mode. very noticable as soon as i got there. disabled vrr there and it was a smooth silky 40 fps experience from there. best 40 fps mode ive played.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Mine is silky smooth.

With or without VRR enabled (had to try it without to check if I could fix some ghosting issues with my TV, thankfully I found a solution without having to keep it that way).

Maybe there is some problem with your HDMI cable or input? A defective cable could force your 4k output to 30hz (maybe).

I don't have this issue in other games. Ghost of Tsushima, for example, was flawless. R&C pretty much was too I believe, as was Demon's Souls. Returnal wasn't, but that's because it just isn't I think.

And it's not 30fps, it's definitely 60, just not a perfect 60.

What platform are you plauing?
PS5 here on 40fps mode and 0 stutters so far, barely (if any) pop-in, no frame drops.

Are you playing on PS4 or the Pro?

PS5, 60fps mode.

yeah, i had the camera stutters in the 40 fps unlocked mode. very noticable as soon as i got there. disabled vrr there and it was a smooth silky 40 fps experience from there. best 40 fps mode ive played.

I can't try that mode, my TV doesn't do 120hz (nor VRR).

Here's a video by someone else that shows pretty much what I'm seeing:

Last edited:

damidu

agreed, how i play on a vrr tv.
can’t really tell difference between 60 or 80fps.
jump from 1440 to 1800ish is more apparent

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Here's a video by someone else that shows pretty much what I'm seeing:

No you are right. Gaming tech mentioned an issue with the locked 60 fps version of the game. Some kind of frame spike every now and then. Thats why he recommended the unlocked 60 fps option which you dont have access to I guess. Just make sure your PS5 doesnt have VRR settings turned on in the Video System settings. I know your tv doesnt support vrr but cant hurt to double check there. I saw that same stutter on camera pans before i turned that off.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
No you are right. Gaming tech mentioned an issue with the locked 60 fps version of the game. Some kind of frame spike every now and then. Thats why he recommended the unlocked 60 fps option which you dont have access to I guess. Just make sure your PS5 doesnt have VRR settings turned on in the Video System settings. I know your tv doesnt support vrr but cant hurt to double check there. I saw that same stutter on camera pans before i turned that off.

I'll check that, but my PS5 has never been connected to a VRR capable TV, so that would be strange.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
So i just wanted tosay that having a 60 fps mode made my enjoyment of this game a 10000 x better!

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah I've noticed the stuttering as well on performance hfr vrr which is weird because I thought vrr smooths everything out.

It should, as long as the framerate only varies slightly up and down. But seems like something in this game is causing frame time spikes, resulting in very brief pauses (which VRR wouldn't really help against). It's just weird that many claim to not have this issue at all. Either their PS5s are better than ours, or they're not as sensitive to dropped frames. To me it's super obvious that I'm not seeing a perfectly smoooth 60fps.

Last edited:

Forsete

I have seen the stutters as well. They are not very common.

I thought they were related to when I take pictures (and the system is saving them, I have not noticed this problem in other games though), because I take a lot of pictures. :p

TrebleShot

agreed, how i play on a vrr tv.
can’t really tell difference between 60 or 80fps.
jump from 1440 to 1800ish is more apparent
I just tried the locked 40fps mode (turn VRR off in system menu) and it’s very very impressive think it will be my way to play till completion.

Top Bottom