• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök on PS5 - The Digital Foundry Tech Review

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Thanks to OP for the rundown, I noped out at the spoiler warning, will watch after I beat it next week.

I was already planning on the 4k/30fps Quality mode, but it sounds from the bullet points that the Performance mode is advised, so I'll stick with that.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I'm not watching a single review before playing this. I've gone out of my way to avoid any spoilers.

dumb and dumber thread GIF

SSM has had a lot of time to iterate and improve the engine while having the extra time to add depth. Those side mission tweets got me more excited.

Yep, this is what I'm happiest about. They put in all those years getting this new God of War vision and game design ready, so why not take advantage of that work by way of a quicker turnaround for a sequel that's more polished in every way? I care about the quality of the game more than any big tech leap that doesn't necessarily guarantee a better video game, if you know what I mean.

I guess people were mistaken when they said this game was being rushed. Proves that no delay was necessary.
This game was actually internally delayed as disclosed by Kratos actor (he was the reason it was delayed). I'd guess that delay allowed them to spend more time on the excellent PS5 version, notably the performance modes which are actually the default (and best) modes.

Last edited:
no. There is a ton of differences when you comapre. Just not very visible.
Like high to ultra.
Better Lod, better shadows, better reflection etc

Wonder if it’s a TLOU part 1 difference or Horizin FW difference (post patch).

If the latter, I’ll play it on performance mode. 1900P is really close to native 4K

diffusionx

Gold Member
I have to say it, I saw that graphic put out yesterday about Ragnarok’s 800 graphical modes and it was just exhausting to read. These videos are also getting progressively more tedious to go through, although it’s not DF’s fault for that, it’s just that these settings have gone so far beyond what they were in the days of PS4 Pro.

Basically, if I wanted to make a decision on how the game looks or watch a video on what settings I should use I would play them on a PC. I bought a console so these devs can make these decisions for me.

Robbinhood

Banned
I'm a 40fps whore so that's where I will be.

Question, does performance mode really look "sharper" than fidelity based on the upscale? If so why not use the same upscale in Fidelity and use the extra performance to ramp up the graphics even more?

I'd have to imagine Fidelity looks better overall.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I know the OP did an exhaustive summary of the video, but ive been reading the article and it has some pretty cool tidbits about the improvements from GOW 2018. Seems like they did upgrade a lot.

Lighting
First and foremost, the game's lighting has received a significant overhaul, especially when it comes to indirect illumination. Yes, it's pre-calculated but it does a much better job approximating the behavior of light. The way it pours into enclosed spaces, indirectly illuminating the environment around Kratos tantalises the senses. This is perhaps the single most impactful enhancement over the prior game.

Tessellation and improved level of detail
Enhanced tessellation is another feature on offer for PS5 users. This enables an increased level of detail within the ground surface which combined with the more physically accurate materials, produces far more detailed results. Snow deformation also makes a return and on PS5, the tessellation quality is increased over the prior game allowing richly detailed trailers to form as you navigate the snowy landscapes.

Reflections

God of War: Ragnarök rectifies this in a couple different ways. Firstly, while true hardware accelerated ray traced reflections are not featured in this game, it does seem to utilise a solution like Mafia: Definitive Edition where rays are traced into a cube-map with high quality lighting data baked into it to determine the most appropriate colour but also trace into a more accurate version of the scene geometry to determine the best cube-map placement. This is then combined with a greatly improved implementation of screen-space reflections which now extend deeper into the reflective surface producing a much more pleasing result compared to the prior game.

3liteDragon

John says that resolution difference is not important because it is upscaled and so on.
So it comes down to the details of shadows, reflections, lod and so on.
Haven’t watched the video yet but I was initially gonna play on performance mode, now I’m not sure. Are the graphical cutbacks noticeable in perf (I play on a 55” TV)?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Haven’t watched the video yet but I was initially gonna play on performance mode, now I’m not sure. Are the graphical cutbacks noticeable in perf (I play on a 55” TV)?
You are probably not going to notice much difference. They said in some cases, performance looked better due to the machine learning uprezzing. I am going to try 40fps and switch to 60fps and see if it's that noticeable. Probably will end up sticking with 60.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I've watched and didn't think so but when he starts switching back and forth, the fidelity mode have quite a bit better LOD. Shadows and reflections only a tiny bit better.
but you will not notice square objects in the distance with Performance mode without comparison so you know these should be more rounded :p
I think I will just do 4k40. I don't like to feel like I am missing out

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You are probably not going to notice much difference. They said in some cases, performance looked better due to the machine learning uprezzing. I am going to try 40fps and switch to 60fps and see if it's that noticeable. Probably will end up sticking with 60.
yeah but only normal Performance with dynamic 4k is upressing?
I think the performance HFR mode is locked to 1440p without upressing?

Elios83

I'm going to try performance mode but for my personal tastes the best compromise seems to be the quality 40fps mode with VRR.

GymWolf

I know the OP did an exhaustive summary of the video, but ive been reading the article and it has some pretty cool tidbits about the improvements from GOW 2018. Seems like they did upgrade a lot.

Lighting

Reflections
Nothing about improvements on the character models?

ABnormal

Wonder if it’s a TLOU part 1 difference or Horizin FW difference (post patch).

If the latter, I’ll play it on performance mode. 1900P is really close to native 4K
The differencies are not about resolution: they are about LOD, shadows detail, etc. Not big differencies but there.
But the level of perceived detail is bigger at 60 fps (thanks to the perceived solidity of the image and visual persistence), so it's overall the better trade-off. Now I just have to see if the unlocked 40 fps mode retains quality mode details with only a reduction of resolution. If yes, that's my mode. Otherways I will go for locked 60 fps.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
yeah but only normal Performance with dynamic 4k is upressing?
I think the performance HFR mode is locked to 1440p without upressing?
I am just doing the 60fps performance mode, since they said it runs around 1876p most of the time and it's near discernable to native even if it drops lower due to the machine learning.

Holding back negative comment until it's confirmed that enhancements like tesselation, shadows, reflections are also in performance mode and not just fidelity

Last edited:

Lighting

Reflections
Buy is that only in fidelity mode??

Top Bottom