• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök the fastest-selling first party game launch in PlayStation history

tommib

Santa monica use his own engine.
Joke Drummer GIF by Travis

I can't believe it did better than Spiderman. It is such a strong franchise.

Spiderman 2 though will break every Sony Lifetime sales records.

Sony needs to be VERY careful about who will be their live action Kratos. It's their most consistently successful long running original IP at the moment.

I think Gerard Butler is the safe pick and I think Travis Fimmel is the perfect pick. They'll probably get Jason Mamoa, which I think is a mistake and leans into the oversaturation of his acting choices with Game of Thrones, Aquaman, See, and Dune.

Edit: Tom Hardy is actually the perfect choice if you could get him to commit to a long-running series.

The Last of Us 2 dropped off a fucking cliff after the first few weeks. I don't think Ragnarok will suffer like that, when January is over, this game will be on 12-ish million, at least.

TLOU dropped off for political reasons and the leak. Ragnarok will continue to sell unabated as the #1 game until probably Hogwarts Legacy. It'll struggle to keep pace with Elden Ring because it's only on PlayStation consoles, but I think 12 million by the end of January is feasible with real drop-off afterward.

Last edited:
And this is why Sony aren't launching their first party games on a sub service. Insane numbers and incredible game.

Only publisher putting out games for adults with this type of consistent quality. I think we're going to see more PC support and more quickly to be specific, but yeah, putting this under a sub model would make no sense. The only way to justify it would be to add a tier on top of their premium tier for like an additional 5 dollars per month.

Ronin_7

Banned
1M each day damn.

400M in Revenue also excluding bundles of course... including special editions & 80€ prices in EU.

OUTSTANDING performance no doubt fucking crazy, plus Big December should be expected as millions will buy bundles that have this game.

10M LT by Years End is pretty much locked me thinks.

Pejo

Congrats to the team, 5.1 million is crazy good numbers and I'm betting a fairly high attach rate.

Still... "Fastest selling" is such a stupid fucking metric. If I make a game and sell 5 copies in one zeptosecond as soon as I publish it, does that make me the fastest selling game of all time?

yazenov

The Majority of these sales are expected to be on PS5 with the $70 price tag. Yeah all those posts about how Sony made a huge mistake with the increase of their 1st party games to $70 aged life spoiled milk.

Oh and all those how can Sony compete with Gamepass posts were especially hilarious now.

Last edited:
And this is why Sony aren't launching their first party games on a sub service. Insane numbers and incredible game.

Yep, pretty much. If there is demand, people will buy, in droves.

Big ups to the success. Game could cross 10 million before the end of the year (myself included 😀).

I don't know man.......Spider-Man + holiday hype might just do it.

Some people keep forgetting that the vast majority of Miles Morales copies sold on PS5. Not just that, but people purposefully waited for PS5s to be more available before picking up the game.

By the time Spiderman 2 comes out PS5 install base will be even larger and more easily available. It'll clean up quite a few charts.

Last edited:

icerock

Deserved, phenomenal game.

Shows, if you make a great game, no matter the platform or price, public will pay. Sony FP are developing quite the reputation, rebranding them to PlayStation Studios was a smart move. Long may they continue to build these type of games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Some people keep forgetting that the vast majority of Miles Morales copies sold on PS5. Not just that, but people purposefully waited for PS5s to be more available before picking up the game.

By the time Spiderman 2 comes out PS5 install base will be even larger and more easily available. It'll clean up quite a few charts.
Yep. Every time there was a new PS5 drop, the game would chart.

Jesus...over 5M in a single week...where the best selling version was a 70$/80€ edition from PS5.

Another hit for the "they will be releasing their games on PS Plus day one by the end of this gen" crowd, lmao.

They basically paid for the game already.

edit: Just realized this isn't even a full week! Game came out in November 9....and this data is only until November 13. It's literally just 5 days, lmao.

Actually, that's 5.1 million in four days, not five. Ragnarok's debut week would cover the 9th (Wednesday) to the 12th (Saturday).

Thief1987

TLOU2 sold 4 million in 3 days. I would like to see GOW's numbers in the first 3 days.

Still, very impressive. Thats $350 million in revenue.
They are always reporting first calendar week of sales or i don't know how to say this correctly. Since release day to Sunday basically. Ragnarok has longer first week because of the Wednesday release. I think it's still outdone TLOU2 in 3 days, knowing that absolute majority of initial sales are preorders and day one sales.

Last edited:
Top Bottom