• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök the fastest-selling first party game launch in PlayStation history

Deserved, phenomenal game.

Shows, if you make a great game, no matter the platform or price, public will pay. Sony FP are developing quite the reputation, rebranding them to PlayStation Studios was a smart move. Long may they continue to build these type of games.

I don't disagree, but the successful rebrand was actually when they brought everyone under worldwide studios. The success was the strategy rather than the name (imo at least).

But I do think it's a better name and more appropriate name than worldwide studios and I think the assumed level of quality is high on these titles which helps games sell.

Will be interesting to see how Naughty Dog responds to this.

Without being cross-gen?

Doubt.gif
We're witnessing ratios of 70/30 between the PS5 and PS4 sales 2 years after the PS5 released when it's only around 30M consoles sold vs almost 120M. You think one extra year of PS5 sales plus the fact that's the Spider-Man franchise, plus the fact that Sony is producing consoles faster than ever won't be enough to surpass this?

I mean TLOU2 has still been in the monthly top 20 best sellers on PSN so the legs never went anywhere.

Not the level of legs I'm talking about. The TV show could drive millions more in sales if the show is a hit. I expect we'll see TLOU P1 launch on PC in January or February.

tommib

We're witnessing ratios of 70/30 between the PS5 and PS4 sales 2 years after the PS5 released when it's only around 30M consoles sold vs almost 120M. You think one extra year of PS5 sales plus the fact that's the Spider-Man franchise, plus the fact that Sony is producing consoles faster than ever won't be enough to surpass this?
Let’s see. I have my doubts. Can I? I also think Spider-Man 2 will be released on PS4. Call me crazy.

I don't know if it's true that a subscription model wouldn't support games like this, but I'll keep buying them at full price as long as Sony keeps making them.

Sony generally puts out 3-4 AAA games a year and probably growing. At 70 dollars a piece that is 280 dollars in revenue across 3 titles.

The amount you lose on someone buying 2-3 of those games

PS Premium only gives you 120 dollars a year minus expenses...

Sony's better off pushing premium without their AAA titles and having their cake and eating it too. That being said, I think you'll see a premium revolt soon if they don't add more value.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Let’s see. I have my doubts. Can I? I also think Spider-Man 2 will be released on PS4. Call me crazy.
Saints And Sinners Reaction GIF by Bounce

Not the level of legs I'm talking about. The TV show could drive millions more in sales if the show is a hit. I expect we'll see TLOU P1 launch on PC in January or February.
I mean do you want it to be #1 or something? Being in the top 20 best selling games on a monthly basis is good legs

I mean do you want it to be #1 or something? Being in the top 20 best selling games on a monthly basis is good legs

It really doesn't say much after a point. The difference between being 20th and 40th is negligible for a game like this.

We're talking at best 10s of thousands of units. When you sell 10 million plus, that really doesn't matter... But if the show has the impact that the Witcher had and maybe even more of introducing many people to the franchise, LOUP1 and LOUP2 could easily double in lifetime sales, which would be crazy, but totally possible depending on the quality of the show and its success.

Thief1987

I bet that number is less than 35% in splits. Still sales, but the majority is on the PS5, as they were with MM, etc..
Wasn't it 82/18 in UK? Physical yes, but i don't see a reason why digital should lean more towards PS4, especially when PS5 digital exist. It's only UK obviously, but extrapolating UK sales numbers worked pretty fine for predicting worldwide ones.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wasn't it 82/18 in UK? Physical yes, but i don't see a reason why digital should lean more towards PS4, especially when PS5 digital exist. It's only UK obviously, but extrapolating UK sales numbers works pretty fine for predicting worldwide ones.
Yeah, the attachment rate for cross gen games is heavily in favor of the PS5.

Like I am saying since a few years: God of war is Playstation's biggest IP.

Hopefully they won't shit the bed by going full woke or by litteraly killing the main character (or both).

Of course, because it's us hardcore that buy those new consoles and those new games day one. That said 140m vs. 70m to sell to is a smart move by Sony. It will equate to many more sales.
Exactly and even if it's an 80/20 split that's a lot of units lifetime we're talking about millions of units on PS4 alone.

It really is a shame sony forgot how to market games, this could have sold 10 million already if they remembered how to advertise their game throughout the year like they did with deathloop

Deathloop was an original franchise that needed marketing to boost it and during a period of time where Sony wanted to keep the PS5 in the forefront.

God of War sells itself at this point and there wasn't really much to show in advertisements like with Deathloop. The PS5 also keeps itself in the forefront now. It's basically on autopilot for better or worse.

Deathloop was an original franchise that needed marketing to boost it and during a period of time where Sony wanted to keep the PS5 in the forefront.

God of War sells itself at this point and there wasn't really much to show in advertisements like with Deathloop. The PS5 also keeps itself in the forefront now. It's basically on autopilot for better or worse.

No amount of boosting ever helps arcane games. Their games are destined to flop no matter what.

AlexxKidd

Real success, not number of players spin. Nice!

If only Sony had dropped this on PS+ day one they could have had 150 billion Players™ instead. Oh well, looks like they'll have to settle for only 5.1 million sales (a ton of which at $70) on their way to 20-plus million.

Will no one think of the Players™?

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Just thinking, if that 80/20 split between PS5 and PS4 sale holds true across digital and physical, that's a 16% attach rate for PS5. Even at 70/30, its ~14%. For comparison, TLOU2 attach rate for it's previous 4m/3 day record was less than 4%.

Hoping it crosses 10 million by January. I know TLOU PT 2 just recently crossed 10 million. But it was a steepish drop from the first game.

TLOU Part 2 had a few issues working against it that were mostly unique unto that game. The plot leaks (quite a few which were fake), bad faith Xbox & PCMR actors weirdly colluding with anti-SJW content-creator grifters to push the game as a far-left agenda hit piece, driving negative discussion around the game for months before its release. Then the Jason Schreir report on crunch & working conditions at ND during that time and, I think, kind of the genuine shock at Joel's death from a big segment of the fanbase (the "normies" otherwise 100% removed from the BS culture war and console war toxicity)...

I think all of those things together may've hurt TLOU Part 2, unfairly so. I'm mildly curious if ND ever retcon Joel's death in a Part 2 "Director's Cut" or something, although I think that would be asking too much. They could just alter the way he dies slightly, where maybe he goes out like a bit more of a badass at the very least, and that would probably be enough for most of the folks who are still kind of miffed with his death.

But something else I've observed is ever since then, it seems like certain circles only gather 'round the wagon to try spoiling Sony SP games specifically. We just saw them try it again with GOW Ragnarok! But I can't think of many (if any) other SP games where circles of people are trying to spoil the stories online. Didn't happen with Plague Tale: Requiem for example, or Pentiment more recently.

We should acknowledge that the main reason it's even a thing with Sony 1P SP games is because it's likely Xbox & PCMR chugs wanting to desperately spoil hype for games not coming to their platform, that are from Sony. It's really that simple, and it's pathetic. And for them it's just another way to try drumming up a narrative against those game, they tried it earlier in the year with HFW (if it weren't for Elden Ring releasing near its date or the early technical issues existing, we'd of definitely seen the usual suspects trying to spoil HFW's story big-time).

It really is a shame sony forgot how to market games, this could have sold 10 million already if they remembered how to advertise their game throughout the year like they did with deathloop

I'm also thinking about it now and, yeah, there actually a ton in the way of traditional advertising for Ragnarok, was there? I don't watch a ton of TV these days but maybe there were some TV adverts. I know they had the Ben Stiller/John Travolta/Lebron James etc. online advert/skit though.

But I think it's also like Mibu no ookami Mibu no ookami said; GOW can just sell itself at this point and PS5 is just naturally in the spotlight now. Splatoon 3 broke sales records too and I don't recall much any traditional advertising for that game; Scarlet & Violet are the fastest-selling Pokemon games in history are there's absolutely nothing in the way of traditional advertisements for them, either.

There are just certain IP that can sell on their brand name alone, and GOW is one of those at this point. They could also be saving adverts for a month or two down the road because the hardcore & core of the fanbase are going to jump in early on no matter what. But once those first three or so months pass is probably when adverts start rolling out to get down-the-road casuals & mainstream to pick it up (although some of them are probably picking it up right now, too).

Last edited:
You can say Sony was a bit...dodgy with the PS5 showcase (the first one) when the showed us Miles Morales and we all assumed they were PS5 exclusives only because they never mentioned platforms and it was a PS5 presentation...but this time it's quite different when you have Insomniac posting this:

They literally say "Marvel's Spider-Man 2 and Marvel's Wolverine are coming exclusively to PlayStation 5" which is the type of language Sony never used for the PS5 launch line up.

Kvally

Banned
You can say Sony was a bit...dodgy with the PS5 showcase (the first one) when the showed us Miles Morales and we all assumed they were PS5 exclusives only because they never mentioned platforms and it was a PS5 presentation...but this time it's quite different when you have Insomniac posting this:

They literally say "Marvel's Spider-Man 2 and Marvel's Wolverine are coming exclusively to PlayStation 5" which is the type of language Sony never used for the PS5 launch line up.

But we know that Insomniac is a sketchy history with their tweets being wrong.

Factually.

gow3isben

Amazing results for the best game of the year and game of the generation.

People don’t realize how crazy this is with such a low install base of PS5s which likely got 80% of sales. The legs in this thing will be absolutely insane. As PS5 stocks start going up it will be on bestsellers list possibly years down the line.

This will do over 10 million by beginning of next year well over 20 million in 2 and 35 million lifetime when it also gets released on PC for an extra 3-5 million sales.

Last of Us 2 would have also done almost as well if it wasn’t for certain awful story choices made.

You can take your gamepass and shove it up your ass Philip.

Top Bottom