• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök - Why this is my Game of the Generation

nordique

Just finished the game today on ps5.

Wanted to share this with GAF, and mods, please merge/delete if see fit. I dont mean to break any rules but I was simply so moved by this game and the journey that started with the PS4 game, and it hit me deep and personally.

(Some minor spoilers here from the 2018 game, but none from Ragnorok are shared.)

This is my Game of the Generation (so far, obviously this can change, but please hear me out)

God of War is one of my all time favourite franchises, but I was quite busy in my professional life such that I did not game much between 2012 to 2019, and as a result, I missed out at launch with the 2018 title (physician-GAF unite! man our lives suck sometimes.)

I was eagerly awaiting God of War (2018) but never got a chance until 2020 to play it. Kept putting it off due to professional but also private reasons.

Long story short, My absolutely incredible father passed away in 2019, in what was a drawn out and heart breaking way.

My grieving period was long (and, as I'm sure anyone who has lost a close loved one can attest, you're always still grieving in some way) but during the heights of the pandemic, I had extra time and was able to finally sit down and play some games that I had been putting off.

I picked up God of War on the PS4, had no fucking clue about anything in the game beyond the new setting and you have an axe, and sort of expected more of the same from the prior games I loved so much.

I was not ready for the massive shift in story telling I was about to undertake, and I fell in love immediately.

Given the "still fresh" emotions at the time, The whole father-son dynamic on a journey to honour their loved one's wishes strongly plucked away at my heart strings, amplified emotions and amplified my connection to the game.

Looking back, I truly do feel it helped me throughout my early grieving process as well.

Fast forward to 2022. This is the only game I had preordered all year. I even got the controller.

Emotions were amplified prior to starting Ragnorok:
First off, this past summer I had to travel with my father's ashes overseas to spread his ashes where he had requested they be spread. I will admit, because I knew I had to take this journey prior to the first game, when I played the first game I *really* became attached to spreading the ashes. I did think of the 2018 game and when I did my own journey this past summer (delayed spreading of ashes was due to Travel restrictions during the height of the Global Pandemic)

Second off, the release date was November 9, and this also happened to be my birthday

So I went into the game with amplified emotions already. And man, what a ride.

I have never become so emotional so many times, playing one game before. Possibly because of the deeper meanings for myself, possibly the impactful acting, but also because I felt that the development team and all those involved just understood the themes so well; grief, life, death; sharing and funneling their own personal emotions into a story that was so intricately crafted.

It just hit a different emotional chord for me than any other video game. Never mind the amazing gameplay and it being a solid gaming experience as a whole. I guess my point/opinion is that, for me, there was this deeper emotional chord that is struck, and no other game has hit it quite like this.

As a result:
It is my Game of the Generation.

It was a perfect storm of amplified emotions going into the experience, plus deeper, personal meaning mixed with placing myself in the eyes of both main characters, and projecting my own life experiences with my father, his influence on getting me into gaming (gameboy color, n64, ps1) and the cumulative 2018 game plus this incredible sequel coming together as a whole experience that I could relate with. Kratos, his evolution as a character, his relationship with Atreus, the echoing relationship with the deceased loved one....

I wanted to create a new thread to share this personal journey with this forum, because GAF has been so awesome to come to for news and laughs that im sure many people have been fighting their own battles and finding comfort with this or any other gaming community as a sort of refuge

Hopefully one of the developers or someone involved with this game can read this and see how much it impact me personally.

I also wanted to share in a new thread, because I wondered if there was anyone else who felt the same way with this game - any similar emotional chords strike you the way they struck me, and if so, is this your game of the generation as well?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022

Wanted to share this with GAF, and mods, please merge/delete if see fit. I dont mean to break any rules but I was simply so moved by this game and the journey that started with the PS4 game, and it hit me deep and personally.

(Some minor spoilers here from the 2018 game, but none from Ragnorok are shared.)

This is my Game of the Generation (so far, obviously this can change, but please hear me out)

God of War is one of my all time favourite franchises, but I was quite busy in my professional life such that I did not game much between 2012 to 2019, and as a result, I missed out at launch with the 2018 title (physician-GAF unite! man our lives suck sometimes.)

I was eagerly awaiting God of War (2018) but never got a chance until 2020 to play it. Kept putting it off due to professional but also private reasons.

Long story short, My absolutely incredible father passed away in 2019, in what was a drawn out and heart breaking way.

My grieving period was long (and, as I'm sure anyone who has lost a close loved one can attest, you're always still grieving in some way) but during the heights of the pandemic, I had extra time and was able to finally sit down and play some games that I had been putting off.

I picked up God of War on the PS4, had no fucking clue about anything in the game beyond the new setting and you have an axe, and sort of expected more of the same from the prior games I loved so much.

I was not ready for the massive shift in story telling I was about to undertake, and I fell in love immediately.

Given the "still fresh" emotions at the time, The whole father-son dynamic on a journey to honour their loved one's wishes strongly plucked away at my heart strings, amplified emotions and amplified my connection to the game.

Looking back, I truly do feel it helped me throughout my early grieving process as well.

Fast forward to 2022. This is the only game I had preordered all year. I even got the controller.

First off, this past summer I had to travel with my father's ashes overseas to spread his ashes where he had requested they be spread. I will admit, because I knew I had to take this journey prior to the first game, when I played the first game I *really* became attached to spreading the ashes. I did think of the 2018 game and when I did my own journey this past summer (delayed spreading of ashes was due to Travel restrictions during the height of the Global Pandemic)

Second off, the release date was November 9, and this also happened to be my birthday

I have never become so emotional so many times, playing one game before. Possibly because of the deeper meanings for myself, possibly the impactful acting, but also because I felt that the development team and all those involved just understood the themes so well; grief, life, death; sharing and funneling their own personal emotions into a story that was so intricately crafted.

It just hit a different emotional chord for me than any other video game. Never mind the amazing gameplay and it being a solid gaming experience as a whole. I guess my point/opinion is that, for me, there was this deeper emotional chord that is struck, and no other game has hit it quite like this.

As a result:

It was a perfect storm of amplified emotions going into the experience, plus deeper, personal meaning mixed with placing myself in the eyes of both main characters, and projecting my own life experiences with my father, his influence on getting me into gaming (gameboy color, n64, ps1) and the cumulative 2018 game plus this incredible sequel coming together as a whole experience that I could relate with. Kratos, his evolution as a character, his relationship with Atreus, the echoing relationship with the deceased loved one....

I wanted to create a new thread to share this personal journey with this forum, because GAF has been so awesome to come to for news and laughs that im sure many people have been fighting their own battles and finding comfort with this or any other gaming community as a sort of refuge

Hopefully one of the developers or someone involved with this game can read this and see how much it impact me personally.

I also wanted to share in a new thread, because I wondered if there was anyone else who felt the same way with this game - any similar emotional chords strike you the way they struck me, and if so, is this your game of the generation as well?
By far my favorite game of this generation so far. Yes I know it's not native to ps5 but that is the version everyone should play. Performance mode 60fps all day.

Ozzie666

Seems like the perfect game for that time of your life. This is what is great about gaming, games can mean so much to people on so many different levels. It's like remembering your mom's cooking, it's very strong. It only adds to an already great game with the emotional connection. I hope you bought a physical copy, it not. I highly recommended you find a cheap copy for yourself. You may wish to re-visit the game in the future.

Gaiff

Gold Member
Don't wanna make this thread about myself but my father also passed away in 2018, right around the release of GOW 2018 so it also resonated with me.

Condolences to your father and although I dislike too much focus on narrative and emotions in gaming, it's good that it can genuinely touch people on a deeper emotional level.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I got bored of GOW near the end of the game but im enjoying every single moment in GOWR, and im not even done with the main quest.
Currently im trying to complete every single side quest.
That tells you how much I love GOWR, they improve almost everything in this game, im having a blast of it.

Topher

Gold Member

As a result:

Sorry for your loss.

Hugare

It has been a huge letdown so far, personally. I much preffer the 2018 game.

But I can see why it resonates so much with you. Imagining myself in your situation, and yeah, it would feel personal.

My condolences about your father

Glad you enjoy it. I have it as my 2nd goty rn. Its the perfect experience hampered by traditional gaming conventions. I'd love for the next one for them to take gameplay risk to match the quality of the story. Solid 8.5 for me so far with only room to improve but I lvoe that games of this quality are being praised. It's important for the industry. Sets a standard. An evolution is needed mechanically.

Thor is one of the best written characters in gaming.

Last edited:

gow3isben

Agreed no game this generation will likely beat it. Incredible and is vying for my favorite game of all time against the mass effect latter games.

Great post

GymWolf

We still have like 3-4 years of this gen, isn't a bit premature deciding a gotg now?

What if they release gow egypt in 4 years from now?

Just_one

ragnorok even though i platinum and enjoy it it is not that different of a game from 2008 GoW , i totally understand that reviewer from IGN Japan i think that called it a big size DLC.

game is pretty much the same as the 2008 GoW

Top Bottom