• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök's Combat Lets You Play With Your Food | Exclusive Gameplay

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
That's... it??

disappointed come on GIF

I have to say I can't wait to play the story but I'm disappointed by how it look.

GymWolf

I would have loved real time marks on enemies when you hit them like in tlou2 or recently atomic heart trailer.

That would improve the perceived brutality of every hit.

Why almost every quality tps\fps has bullet marks\blood marks but almost no melee game has wound marks? i don't get it...

Last edited:
You would think a thread about the next gow combat system would blow up especially how people have been yelling show the game already.

On topic, more juggle combos and stun locks for days. Gonna rock that parry shield the whole game and parry the shit outta thor.

OZ9000

Banned
I must say the graphics look better than I expected.

Too bad there is no gore.

I would have loved real time marks on enemies when you hit them like in tlou2 or recently atomic heart trailer.

That would improve the perceived brutality of every hit.

Every game should copy this real time damage system from Doom Eternal.

The more you damage enemies, the more flesh and bones you see.

itsnotme

You would think a thread about the next gow combat system would blow up especially how people have been yelling show the game already.

On topic, more juggle combos and stun locks for days. Gonna rock that parry shield the whole game and parry the shit outta thor.
There’s a different thread about it that’s why

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Yeah. If a game's graphics don't look any more realistic than real-life, why bother?
Why bother buying new consoles or new PCs? We can all stay on PS4 because it's sufficient (for you apparently), right?
I am disappointed, it does not mean it look bad. Just not incredible nor a big jump since 2016 and especially the cuts between 2 different animations.

But GOW2016 was (and is) a very beautiful game and this one is looking better so it's good enough for sure.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Sure looks like the ps4 game, not a bad thing but hope gets the spider man treatment on pc.

Roxkis_ii

Looks better then the last game.
Plays better then the last game

That's all I expected from this game. I don't understand how people can expect this game to set some new paradigm in graphics presentation.

People on neogaf always seem to be disappointed. Enjoy the game for what it is, not for what you hope it would be.

MiguelItUp

I wasn't expecting the second coming of Christ with this sequel, but it looks like it contains some improvements in gameplay. Main stuff I'd want in a sequel. Wild seeing this compared to previous GOW games that were, well, gorier, lol. Also I thought this was going to be 60 fps on PS5? Did I miss something? I figured they'd wanna show that over 30 fps.

Fbh

There just isn't much to react to here.
It's like a slightly more extended look at stuff we saw in the trailer already. It's a very Gow 2018 looking sequence with very similar environments and gameplay except you can do some cool stuff with the triangle button now.
GOW 2018 had more to talk about because it marked a significant shift in the franchise. Gow 3 had more to talk about because it looked next gen as fuck.

I'm not sure what reaction this video should have on people other than "yup..that's God of War".

Elginer

You clearly havent played Forbidden West, prolly the king of graphics atm, and that is also on PS4.
I have but it still doesn’t stop this from being held back by the older hardware. Do you really believe that 2018 God of War could have been what it was with making sure it ran on a PS3 as well?
Horizon is beautiful, to be sure but they still could have pushed it more if they didn’t need to make sure their game also ran on old jaguar cores.

OZ9000

Banned
I genuinely don't care that the gameplay is the same.

The gameplay was already good in God of War 2018.

What I want is bigger and better bosses and a sick ass adventure aka God of War 2.

I'm surprised at the criticism of the visuals. It actually looks surprisingly good, and I've been calling this an expansion pack for the better part of the year lol.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
In terms of graphics it doesn’t look Miles ahead of the PS4 version from what I seen so far. Have to say though that’s a compliment in that the PS4 game is one of the best looking games around

Last edited:

Pejo

I appreciate that so far they haven't spoiled any of the big fights and setpieces. On the other hand, it makes these bite sized previews kinda...."meh".

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
That was an extremely lame video. I do still think the game will be great but that video isn't doing them any favors. At least show some cool new executions or something :|

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What does that mean? Kratos doesn't eat the monsters he kills as far as I know. I hate dumb marketing speak/clickbait. The combat looks like the last game.

Also, I have no idea why this is the first proper gameplay they're showing, or that area specifically. It's just brown and muddy, looks really boring visually.

Last edited:

gamer82

Gow with horrizons graphics would be good . Theres always the next game if it doesn't end up being ps5/6 crossgen

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Gow with horrizons graphics would be good . Theres always the next game if it doesn't end up being ps5/6 crossgen
Well, this game concludes this particular timeline. They've said that over and over. So it would likely be another 7-10 years before we see another God Of War, unless we go back to TC Carlson days!

GymWolf

I'm gonna repeat myself but differently from many of you i hope that they are gonna cut down any bullshit qte sequence like the dragon and baldur one and instead double down on technical boss fights like the valkyrie but with more variety and no baldur super easy fights neither, i hope thor and odin are gonna be more like sigrun than similar to that skinny bastard with 3 fucking moves, i played indie games with normal mobs that had more than 3 moves ffs :lollipop_squinting:

Never cared that much for gow setpieces (except the start of gow3) when devs probably take 6 months to make one of them that could be used to give me 5 more normal mobs and 3 good humanoid boss fights.

Humanoid boss fights are factually better than gigantic monster qte clusterfucks if not for the spectacle, go watch fucking god of olympus for that, you chimps :lollipop_blowing_kiss:

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Humanoid boss fights are factually better than gigantic monster qte clusterfucks if not for the spectacle, go watch fucking god of olympus for that, you chimps :lollipop_blowing_kiss:
In modern GOW you are right because of the new camera angle, I dont think you can do proper giant boss fight properly because how limited your view is.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Never cared that much for gow setpieces (except the start of gow3) when devs probably take 6 months to make one of them that could be used to give me 5 more normal mobs and 3 good humanoid boss fights.
Mods, ban this Ninja Gaiden fanboy posing as a god of war fan.

GoW is about those epic setpieces. Combat comes second to spectacle. I love the Valkryie boss fights, but keep them as a side mission. Took me 6 hours to beat that cunt, and I dont want to waste 6 hours on every single boss fight. They have taken 4.5 years to make this game. I want 9 of those 6 month long setpieces, thank you.

GymWolf

In modern GOW you are right because of the new camera angle, I dont think you can do proper giant boss fight properly because how limited your view is.
No i'm talking in general except monster hunter saga.

Any third person action game has the best boss fights when they are humanoids, they are just more fun and less gimmicky to play against.

Artorias, gael, that newborn fucker in BB etc.

even dragons in souls are never as fun as humanoids.

Big monsters look cool, but they usually have gimmick moves and way less agility, the dragon boss fight in the previous gow was dogshit even on max difficulty, it was just spectacle.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Mods, ban this Ninja Gaiden fanboy posing as a god of war fan.

GoW is about those epic setpieces. Combat comes second to spectacle. I love the Valkryie boss fights, but keep them as a side mission. Took me 6 hours to beat that cunt, and I dont want to waste 6 hours on every single boss fight. They have taken 4.5 years to make this game. I want 9 of those 6 month long setpieces, thank you.
I get from where you come from, and i sympathize with your opinion, now be gentle and do me a favor, get a paper cut in both of your nipples and go do some swimming in the open sea, i heard that the coast of afghanistan are lovely during this time of the year.

but to be serious for a moment, you can always play on normal dude, the other 2 hard modes are for people who wants more of a souls experience in terms of challenge

Last edited:
This better be a tease for an actual proper SoP or a September Showcase event because this ain't it, chief.

I don't think a minute-and-half gameplay teaser is enough to judge but so far, yeah, I'd say HFW is the more visually impressive of the two games. I think some people seriously underappreciate and underestimate just how good that game is in pretty much every measurable way.

That said, again, this was barely much of a presentation. We need a proper extended gameplay segment in a SoP or Showcase to get a true gauge on differences between this and 2018 not just visually, but in game mechanics, subtle changes & adjustments, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom