• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok cost $200M to make

GTA 6 has a reported allocated budget of 2billion(this includes online expansions for years/decades). It's just a whole other level compared to anything else in the industry

Last edited:
And don't you think it's the same for gow even if they don't use decima.

The game is big enough to probably have procedurally placed stuff aswell.

I think the cast of actors in gow is a big reason why it costed so much, odin and thor are basically hollywood caliber actors.
And even the smaller ones like thor's daughter are more famous than your average voice actor in horizon except for sylens (rip).
If you bothered with checking out the art station blasts for GOWR that I posted, you could get a pretty good insight into the work that actually goes into making these games.
https://magazine.artstation.com/2023/02/santa-monica-studio-god-of-war-ragnarok-art-blast-part-two/

There are also art blasts for Horizon.

https://magazine.artstation.com/2022/05/guerrilla-horizon-forbidden-west-art-blast/

The real take away here is probably that Sony has an absolute top tier stable of artists and knows how to utilize it. Money well spent.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony competes and that’s the reality right now I knew video games took millions to make now many see just how much.

GymWolf

If you bothered with checking out the art station blasts for GOWR that I posted, you could get a pretty good insight into the work that actually goes into making these games.
https://magazine.artstation.com/2023/02/santa-monica-studio-god-of-war-ragnarok-art-blast-part-two/

There are also art blasts for Horizon.

https://magazine.artstation.com/2022/05/guerrilla-horizon-forbidden-west-art-blast/

The real take away here is probably that Sony has an absolute top tier stable of artists and knows how to utilize it. Money well spent.
Never said that they were money not well spended, ragnarock was my goty.

GymWolf

Proceduralism vs design. And that bit about looking better, not to mention more voice acting… have you actually played both games? The materials work alone just straight up eclipses Horizon, as does the vfx. Horizon delivers an amazing world, but there’s A LOT of procedural assets, and it shows.
Yeah i have more than 100 hours in both games and did all the sidecontent, horizon has more voice work (or on par at the very least) and definitely looks better, go look at all the topics in here about best graphic and look how many votes both games have or the df analysis for both games, it's not just me, cmon dude...

Did you exausted all the things you can ask to gaia or member squads or sidequest givers? therte is a fuckton of optional voice work in horizon.

let's just agree to disagree, in the end we are talking about 2 impressive games production values wise.

Last edited:

Fake

Glad of Santa Monica being so much open about how much money the game cost to be created.

Now, imagine how much cost TLOUSpart2 was in comparison of what they sold.

In fact, now I more curious about cost of those games.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I thought this was already known?
I'm sure it was mentioned in the Calisto Protocol thread

lukilladog

Why would you believe these numbers anyway, these corporations are experts at tax evasion and most likely not honest about numbers they casually throw on social media.

Amiga

Love the game but don't see where that budget was spent. Sony shareholders should be asking for receipts.

Edmund

Gold Member
Do you just direct deposit your salary with the brands you use or are you trolling?

I earn pretty well as a piano teacher and I budget around $1200-1500 for games every year. If I spend a little more, I won't beat myself up over it. I teach 6 days a week so I like to reward myself with nice things for working hard.

I still spend a lot less than when i was in my 20s lol.

Last edited:

Lasha

I earn pretty well as a piano teacher and I budget around $1200-1500 for games every year. If I spend a little more, I won't beat myself up over it. I teach 6 days a week so I like to reward myself with nice things for working hard.

I still spend a lot less than when i was in my 20s lol.

Way over your head lol

Top Bottom