• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War: Ragnarok is the final No.1 of 2022 in the UK Retail Charts

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
gow-rag_WRTf943.jpeg

The new God of War has been a big hit over Christmas, boosted by a PS5 hardware bundle. It is actually the fourth biggest new game launch of the year (in terms of sales from physical retailers).

God of War leapt two places despite sales falling 29% week-on-week. Of course, this is for the post-Christmas week, and every game reported a sales decline during this period.

FIFA 23 drops to No.2 after a 65% sales drop week-on-week, Mario Kart 8: Deluxe rose a place to No.3 after a 40% sales fall, while Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 falls two places to No.4 due to a 64% sales tumble.

In terms of games released in December, Need for Speed Unbound is down to No.31 after a 54% sales slide, The Callisto Protocol drops to No.34 after a 61% sales slip, and Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion is one below it at No.35 due to a 58% drop.

For 2022, boxed game sales were down by over 10% compared with 2021.

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
31God of War: Ragnarok
12FIFA 23
43Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
54Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
55Pokémon Violet
66Nintendo Switch Sports
87Pokémon Scarlet
128Animal Crossing: New Horizons
109Minecraft (Switch)
710Sonic Frontiers

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Fifa 23 still being top 2 after all these weeks and having a higher digital conversion is insane.

reksveks

Just on the bundle conversation, the only bundle that Amazon and Game UK are really selling in any significant numbers is the GoW one.

It's still a good sign either ways. Game UK still has the GoW one in stock.

Yeah, and either way you look at it, God of War Ragnarok bundles being able to help it outsell FIFA and CoD (while those also have bundles) probably means PS5 shipments are huge right now. Even Japan is getting large amounts of stock…

Happy people are finally able to get consoles two years later

Launch crew checking in :messenger_poop:

Although Amazon screwed up my digital order, which I was not happy about :messenger_face_steam:

They're very readily available now, but the GoW bundle is still going for 1k in Australia on ebay for some reason

I get the feeling some people like to overpay for the sake of overpaying

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Oh yes I needed this, some kind of validation regarding my game purchase choice. Many other people bought the same game as me, my life is a success for few seconds right now, I could not feel any better. AWESOME.
Its to make sure the community is strong so when you go to play the multipkayer you can find matches... oh wait.

It's so so can be spoiler free I guess, smart ppl will wait for the Goty version and get the dlc for free.

Last edited:
Bought GoW yesterday, to enjoy during my last day before heading back to work.

Really glad I didn’t sit it out. Stunning and so far very enjoyable. Side missions are really well integrated into the story. They don’t feel needlessly tacked on.

Combat is of course on point. I’ll finish this and then back to Elden Ring.

Ronin_7

Banned
Context:

UK Sales: Week 52, 2022 (Dec 25 - Dec 31)
God of War Ragnarök - 24.000+ / 395.500+ (-29%)
FIFA 23 - 22.500+ (-65%)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (-40%)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 14.500 / 522.500 (-64%)

Context:

UK Sales: Week 52, 2022 (Dec 25 - Dec 31)
God of War Ragnarök - 24.000+ / 395.500+ (-29%)
FIFA 23 - 22.500+ (-65%)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (-40%)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - 14.500 / 522.500 (-64%)

Also, the week after christmas which is generally pretty slow, the fact that games and consoles are stilling so much is pretty good. Last year the christmas season was completely dead

reksveks

interesting tidbits from https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...knocks-call-of-duty-down-a-peg-to-take-bronze

Physical game sales down 10% over 2021
Sadly my UK table doesn't have the boxed chart numbers per month so will just wait for the monthly charts

Interestingly, the Switch version of FIFA 23 came joint first with the PlayStation 4 version in terms of the platform split, making up 28%. It just goes to show that EA's lack of effort with Nintendo's platform is seemingly paying off, at least in the UK.
I was going to make a joke about the high performance market but ehh.

Yes there was. Last December was actually they first time Sony actually got a grip on their UK stock situation.
2021 might've been easier compared to 2020 but it was definitely not a great situation. The last few weeks is the first time I've seen a PS5 in stock for more than 5 minutes since launch.

Right before christmas the GoW bundle was available to anyone (no invite required) for a good few days. There will be plenty of people out there with a copy of GoW that they didn't really care much for.

Top Bottom