• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok is the UK's second biggest boxed game launch of the year, behind FIFA 23.

Pelta88

Ragnarok had a bigger opening in the UK than Call Of Duty?!

"As revealed by charts company GfK last week, Ragnarok sold more in its first day than any previous game in the series sold in its first week. According to the data firm, the game sold 51% more units in its first week than the previous best-selling game: 2018's God of War. In just one week, the game is already the third best-selling God of War title of all time (and in terms of revenue, it is already No.2).

12% of PS5 God of War Ragnarok sales come from the official PS5 bundle. This bundle represented 60% of all PS5 consoles sold during the week, which is officially the biggest week for PS5 sales this year, says GfK boss Dorian Bloch."

giphy.gif

Last edited:
It’s just about boxed sales…but holy shit it sold more than freaking Pokémon? And multiplatform Elden Ring, COD, etc?

51% more boxed sales than 2018, in a time those are dropping so much? I wonder how much it did WITH digital sales.

81% on PS5 and only 13% from bundles.

This will break TLOU2 record lmao.

Edit: Also, biggest news: PS5 just had its best week this year. Not surprised but still good to see it happening.

Edit 2: GOW 2018 sold 96k on week one. That 51% increase means it did around 150k from physical sales only. Horizon Forbidden West did 50% of its numbers on week one from digital. There’s a chance Ragnarok got close to selling 300k in the UK alone in just 5 days which would be crazy numbers!

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Is this for real? I had to read the title like 5 times. And COD was the biggest launch ever too 😲

Did they beat the TLOU2 record? It must be 5 millions at least.

God Of War Atreus GIF by Santa Monica Studio
No, they didn't.
It just mostly physical sales.
CoD wins by digital sales. Especially with how bad they physical cod this year.

"This is purely physical boxed sales, and as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 was a significant download title, it's quite possible God of War wasn't quite No.2 overall (we'll get the download data later in the week). "

Last edited:
Ps5 vs ps4 gap numbers is massive.
Yet ps5 won easily.

I suspect ps4 to win the digital sales.

PS5 versions of games have been outselling PS4 versions since launch. And since there's a digital only SKU of the PS5 it's likely to be even more skewed in favour of that version.

It was the same last gen, PS4 versions of games easily outselling PS3 versions early on. Hell for an extreme example look up Breath of the Wild's sales for WiiU compared to Switch on launch week.

Platform engagement is what matters, not install base numbers.

feynoob

Banned
I don't think that is how it works.
PS5 versions of games have been outselling PS4 versions since launch. And since there's a digital only SKU of the PS5 it's likely to be even more skewed in favour of that version.

It was the same last gen, PS4 versions of games easily outselling PS3 versions early on. Hell for an extreme example look up Breath of the Wild's sales for WiiU compared to Switch on launch week.

Platform engagement is what matters, not install base numbers.
I see. My math was focused on total sales.
But if we see from platform engagement perspective, the ps5 would win easily.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Good to see the PS4 plebs not buying games anymore, cut the cross gen crap Sony.

Still making my way through the game. Taking my sweet sweet time with it

reksveks

Most interesting part

Edit 2: GOW 2018 sold 96k on week one. That 51% increase means it did around 150k from physical sales only. Horizon Forbidden West did 50% of its numbers on week one from digital. There’s a chance Ragnarok got close to selling 300k in the UK alone in just 5 days which would be crazy numbers!

Can calculate the ps5 hw was 20% of the total boxed sales of gow:R.

Assuming its about 150k boxed units in total, then it's 20% * 82% * 150k = 24k ps5 sold last week.

Trying to figure out what last November the average would have been.

422k last year for November.

Sony apparently sold about 60k units in October

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Advertising is massive. There’s a Ragnorok advertisement splashed over the bus stop near my house in a really small village.

Huh!
It only sold well because PlayStation gamers have had a drought.
There was no competition.
Also it only sold well because of forced bundles.
I can only imagine the universe collapsing in on itself when XBOX gamers finally get a good exclusive 🥹. There hasn’t been any competition there for about 10 years now and the desert is dryer than drought.

(I really hope MS is going to step up with releasing some nice games next year, otherwise it might be time to sell the Series X again).

SSfox

Good shit, well deserved!!

But even so, it's a massive opening week for the Sony title. 82% of week one boxed sales were on PS5, with 18% on PS4.

Maybe it's about damn time to stop with Crossgen
oQf4oJb.jpg

reksveks

Re the ps5/ps4 split, the ps5 will be much bigger than the PS4 but do remember that early weeks do skew toward the new consoles and hardcore players.

Last edited:

yazenov

From the splits ratio of PS5 vs PS4, it's pretty evident that the enormous userbase of the PS4 have either moved on to the PS5 or are no longer active users (dormant).

It was the same with the previous generations of consoles. The active userbase does not equal the total LTD of the console. It's foolish to assume otherwise. That's why we have new console generations every 6 to 7 years to reinvigorate the market and capture new audiences.

Back on topic, highly impressive boxed sales for GOW2 outselling the rest of the huge 3rd party multiplatform games as it is not an easy feat, regardless of not taking digital into account as it's an even playing field.

Last edited:
It is called soccer.

Run Away Nuclear Bomb GIF by Identity
False.

The governing body of football is FIFA not FISA. FIFA stands for Fédération Internationale de Football Association

and United States of America is part of FIFA (that's why they are playing in the FIFA World Cup) and guess what the national American team is called? United States American Football Team

Also, American teams play in CONCACAF. Want to guess what the F stands for?

It's Football.

Last edited:
If this performance is representative for the rest of the world, then it will comfortably beat TLOU2's 4 million.
Actually...not really

These were 1st week sales for the best selling 1st party games from Sony in the UK:

194k - FRI - TLOU Part II
192k - TUE - Uncharted 4
190k - FRI - Spider-Man
Around 150k - TUE - God of War Ragnarok
114k - WED - Horizon Zero Dawn
96k - FRI - God of War
80k - WED - Uncharted TLL
75k - FRI - Ghost of Tsushima
74k - WED - GT Sport
70k - FRI - Days Gone

Ragnarok isn't even Top 3. You have 2 Naughty Dog franchises and Spider-Man ahead of it. It will depend on its digital sales but it still needs almost 50k to beat TLOU2 physicals advantage. That said, God of War was never huge in the UK when compcared to most other coutries, including USA so...it may have beat TLOU2 worldwide, who knows for now...

SLB1904

Banned
Actually...not really

These were 1st week sales for the best selling 1st party games from Sony in the UK:

194k - FRI - TLOU Part II
192k - TUE - Uncharted 4
190k - FRI - Spider-Man
Around 150k - TUE - God of War Ragnarok
114k - WED - Horizon Zero Dawn
96k - FRI - God of War
80k - WED - Uncharted TLL
75k - FRI - Ghost of Tsushima
74k - WED - GT Sport
70k - FRI - Days Gone

Ragnarok isn't even Top 3. You have 2 Naughty Dog franchises and Spider-Man ahead of it. It will depend on its digital sales but it still needs almost 50k to beat TLOU2 physicals advantage. That said, God of War was never huge in the UK when compcared to most other coutries, including USA so...it may have beat TLOU2 worldwide, who knows for now...
Digital are at least 50% now at least

Top Bottom