• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok PS5 Graphics Settings Revealed

Saucy Papi

Not the biggest news ever but I know a lot of you care about this stuff as do I so thought I'd share this little tidbit of info.

ShopTo are a leading UK Gaming Retailer and have a partnership with PlayStation, they just released their little teaser emails prior to pre-orders going live tomorrow at 10am.

Under the previews of the boxart they had paragraphs covering features summary, nothing we hadn't already seen before, until we got into PS5 features, here's what they said, I'll bold the video settings section.

- Feel your journey through the Norse realms, made possible by immersive haptic feedback and adaptive trigger functionality.

- Take advantage of multidirectional 3D Audio; hear enemies approaching from any direction.

- Bask in the beautiful worlds you travel through, brought to life by precise art direction and arresting attention to detail.

- Switch between full 4K resolution at a targeted 30 frames per second, or dynamic resolution upscaled to 4K at a targeted 60fps

So there we have it

Native 4K + 30fps

or

Dynamic 4K Upscaled + 60fps

Happy with the results or were you expecting more for a crossgen title?
That's great. I fully expect it to hit a locked 60 considering the results of the 60fps patch with the 2018 version.

Reallink

After the subpar performance mode in H:FW I hope people don’t fall for the preorder scam again. I’ll wait for release, if it doesn’t have a 40fps mode with a VRR fps unlocked mode I’ll just wait to buy until they add it.

The launch 4K/30 mode of Forbidden West is significantly sharper than all the current modes. Makes the current 4K/30 mode look like 1440p by comparison on a large display. They nerfed and blurred the shit out of distant details and textures cause their upscaling solutions couldn't deal with that level of fine detail.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The launch 4K/30 mode of Forbidden West is significantly sharper than all the current modes. Makes the current 4K/30 mode look like 1440p by comparison on a large display. They nerfed and blurred the shit out of distant details and textures cause their upscaling solutions couldn't deal with that level of fine detail.
It was a juddery 30fps though. The 60fps mode played so much better.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Do we have stats for the 30FPS mode? Maybe I’m not remembering correctly but I bought the FPS was pretty solid.

Was the judder something else?
I couldn't stand 30fps for more than a couple of minutes and immediately put it back on 60fps.

Too many people grew up with the lowered expectations of the 7th gen that went on far too long to believe that 30fps is acceptable.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
We all gonna put it at 30fps and see how crisp the resolution looks and then we move 2 inches we say "nah can't do that. lets switch to performance mode for that 60fps".

That's gonna be me for sure lol

I couldn't stand 30fps for more than a couple of minutes and immediately put it back on 60fps.

Too many people grew up with the lowered expectations of the 7th gen that went on far too long to believe that 30fps is acceptable.

Doesn’t sound like it was judder that was bothering you but how much more sluggish the controls feel. To me judder happens when the framerate dips below the target without anything like VRR smoothing it out. That’s what I thought you meant.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
30fps players reporting in
breakfast noise GIF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Wonder if they'll retain the 1080p/60~ FPS option from the first games PS4 Pro version.

Belthazar

It was great, but it wasn't perfect. If they have a better solution with less artifacts, I'm ok with it.

VRR is always a good option. All game scenes aren't the same. VRR allows developers to be a little more ambitious with their visuals without worrying about the limitations of a locked framerate during heavy scenes. A perfectly locked framerate throughout an entire game most certainly means performance is left on the table somewhere.

Nah, it just means the developers wanted a consistent experience for the 80%+ of people that don't own a VRR capable display instead of using it as a crutch.

Smiggs

That's pretty much a given and why I'll play at 30fps. If you look at Horizon Forbidden West there is a noticeable difference between the modes.
There definitely was a big difference! Quality mode was a slideshow and performance was enjoyable!!

I kid, though. I'm just glad we're getting options, and hopefully that remains a trend going forward.

Bojji

VRR is always a good option. All game scenes aren't the same. VRR allows developers to be a little more ambitious with their visuals without worrying about the limitations of a locked framerate during heavy scenes. A perfectly locked framerate throughout an entire game most certainly means performance is left on the table somewhere.

Dynamic resolution should take care of that, i don't know how some developers (From...) can fuck this up and have dynamic resolution WITH frame drops. There should be some "balanced" mode with dynamic VRR frame rate and better IQ than standard performance mode but some people will bitch that there are too many options with this 🤣

There definitely was a big difference! Quality mode was a slideshow and performance was enjoyable!!

I kid, though. I'm just glad we're getting options, and hopefully that remains a trend going forward.
No slide show for me once I played around with the settings.

Good Morning Hello GIF by Saturday Night Live

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Kazdi

Neo Member
Native 4k30 is only good for photomode ;)
I hope the trend of 60 fps continues on even when games are made current gen only...

yamaci17

Dynamic resolution should take care of that, i don't know how some developers (From...) can fuck this up and have dynamic resolution WITH frame drops. There should be some "balanced" mode with dynamic VRR frame rate and better IQ than standard performance mode but some people will bitch that there are too many options with this 🤣
dynamic resolution only takes care of that if your frames are dropped by the GPU. elden ring drops frames due to CPU. you can observe exact same similar framedrops to 55s on identical CPU on desktop (1700x, 2700). Even further, PS5 locks the game to a perfect 60 using PS4 LOD settings, which identically, makes the game perfectly smooth locked 60 on PC as well on 1700x/2700 (source: have a 2700 myself) And it is simple, LODs are usually heavily CPU bound.

people generally assume that the game is designed to run on 1.6 ghz jaguar, so it must have 4 times the CPU overhead on new consoles, but stuff does not work like that with Zen 2 architecture. To begin with, although there are 8 cores, these cores are interlinked with Infinity Fabric, and its performance is tied to memory speed and timings. One group (ccx) has 4 cores, and other one also has 4 cores, and IF links them like a bridge. So assume the 1st core processes something, and then that something is required by the 7th core. Usually, on normal unified CPUs, these cores can access to each other's cache information directly, sipping from the same cache. On consoles, and on Zen 2 architectures, the information needs to go through the bespoke Infinity Fabric, which causes huge slowdowns. Problematic part is that IF needs tight timings on memory and high speed. GDRR6 provides very high speeds but at enormously lax timings, which also probably works against the potential power of the CPU

Therefore, we're seeing some serious CPU bound performance limitations in many games this generation, as I expected. The new CPUs found on consoles are still very very fast than old consoles, but it is not quite as fast as one would think. On paper, you would expect a 4 times increase in speed, but it seems like it translates to 2.5-3 times speed, just like how it happens on PC. Originally, I thought that the performance deficit was caused by overhead on PC APIs. after observing so many console games on these new Zen consoles, I was sure that it was not overhead, it was simply Zen 2 not scaling enough to get the most out of its IPC and core clocks. Yes, IPC is there, clock speed is there too, but cores simply take too much time to communicate with each other. Old gen consoles have unified 8 cores, and a unified L3 cache, in which all cores can instantly process each other's calculations within the same cache.

So its a complex situation. Double the power of new CPUs already goes to doubling the framerate, and once you start adding stuff on top of that, you realize quickly that it is really easy to miss that sweet 60 FPS target, even though CPU seems super powerful. This is why PS4 LODs easily locks the game to a perfect 60. Additional LODs that their native PS5 version provides is probably too much for the CPU. I don't know by how much, but it simply is too much.

An easy way to circumvante this issue is to code in a specific way that specific operations only use 1 ccx and specific operations only use the other 1 ccx. So it is important to prevent as much as cross CCX communication as possible. From soft have an old engine in their hands, it probably causes tons of cross CCX latency. It should be improved in engines that are primarily designed around this issue. And its not easy to change engine-CPU logics over mere years. The game was primarily designed for PS4/Xbone and common x86 CPUs.

A 7700k at 5 ghz with its mere 4 cores and 8 threads can lock the Elden Ring to a perfect 60. A 3700x at 4.4 ghz with its mighty 8 cores and 16 threads cannot. Its not specifically an optimization issue, the engine simply is not optimized towards cross CCX latency. It may even utilize high cores, but if the CPU is not efficient at being a "8 core" CPU, then it might as well perform below a 4 core CPU. 3300x, a 4 core Zen 2 CPU consistently used to beat and still beats the 3700x to this day.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Nah, it just means the developers wanted a consistent experience for the 80%+ of people that don't own a VRR capable display instead of using it as a crutch.

And they can still have that. But a VRR option can also be implemented for those with capable displays. Options are never a bad thing.

sendit

Native 4k30 is only good for photomode ;)
I hope the trend of 60 fps continues on even when games are made current gen only...

Yep. How else do you think most people get PC screenshots to look so good. Crank the resolution up to 8K, then down-sample. No one is actually playing a game at the highest settings possible.

Top Bottom