• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok PS5 Graphics Settings Revealed

Mr Moose

I mean if you want to be pedantic about it, sure 3D audio uses RT cores.

Still doesnt mean it has RTGI or RT reflections or RT Shadows. I mean if we count using RT cores to enhance audio and other software based GI solutions then we might as well call HFW as ray tracing title because they also use the hardware accelerated cores to enhance the speed of queries. Would you say HFW has ray traced lighting? Of course not.
OK then, they must be lying about using RT for their lighting. You should sue.
Ray-traced lighting
Experience high-fidelity ambient lighting that is specifically designed to adapt in real-time to Atropos’ dynamic environment.

Of course RT sound is RT.

Dynamic 4K ? what does it mean ? It could be anything from locked 1440p to 4K CBR to DRS.

Anyways as long as there is a 60fps mode. I hope it won't be an afterthought like in Horizon.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

TIL this doesnt count...for reasons....

Sony-Playstation5-Technical-00008_25970F62F5114A02AE812BFA4D4384B2.jpg

Maybe some folks should be specific when talking about ray tracing.....like some folks are having a fit about 4K60fps....as if that is supposed to equal native and locked.

Mr Moose

It was the same for horizon and ratchet? then i'm okay, time to find someone who wants a gold cross, i can use the bible as a doorblocker.
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/ratchet-and-clank-rift-apart/

Stunning visuals: Enhanced lighting and ray tracing make for super sharp visual fidelity. Displayed in crisp, dynamic 4K and HDR*, behold dazzling in-game worlds as you work to save the universe. Enjoy Performance Mode to experience a targeted 60fps frame rate** as you encounter new enemies across multiple dimensions.

*Dynamic 4K and HDR require a compatible 4K and HDR compatible TV or display.
**Internet connection required to download optional Performance Mode for targeted 60 frames per second gameplay.

Fbh

And how the hell would that work if the native 4k tarfget is 30fps?

Usually when a game runs at consistent 30fps the actual non locked performance is higher than that. It's not like they've optimized every second of gameplay to run at exactly 30fps.
The problem is that the VRR implementation on Ps5 only kicks in from 48fps upwards so the mode would still look like crap as the VRR wouldn't get applied to the 30-48fps range.

Dynamic 4K ? what does it mean ? It could be anything from locked 1440p to 4K CBR to DRS.

Anyways as long as there is a 60fps mode. I hope it won't be an afterthought like in Horizon.

It means it dynamically adjusts resolution when needed to reach the performance target, with an upper limit of native 4K.
As for what exactly it means, we'll probably have to wait for the game to be out and see some Digital Foundry type analysis. There's probably going to be whole range of resolutions, I'd expect something like native 4K when looking at the sky or some undemanding location, and something like 1440p during the more taxing action heavy scenes.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

In my post that I quoted, they clarified to Digital Foundry that they are only using the Hardware Accelerated Cores to speed up their software GI solution.

I will post it again. When contacted by DF, they set the record straight. The PR is just that, PR.

After checking in Housemarque, we got some answers: the PlayStation 5's RT hardware is used to accelerate global illumination queries, essentially speeding up a software-based system and not used for direct visual results

This is straight from Housemarque devs, and not some marketing exec playing fast and loose with the facts.

SlimySnake

And how the hell would that work if the native 4k tarfget is 30fps?
AC Valhalla did the same thing. It was supposed to be native 4k 60 fps but essentially 1440p 60 fps in gameplay almost 100% of the time.

They just dont want to say its 1440p for marketing reasons.

Mr Moose

In my post that I quoted, they clarified to Digital Foundry that they are only using the Hardware Accelerated Cores to speed up their software GI solution.

I will post it again. When contacted by DF, they set the record straight. The PR is just that, PR.

This is straight from Housemarque devs, and not some marketing exec playing fast and loose with the facts.

“By leveraging PS5’s ray-tracing hardware, we are able to deliver high-quality lighting in real time. Our global illumination system uniquely adapts to the randomized placement of the world, while neon-lit projectiles create that arcade, fever-dream feel our team is known for.”

Ethan Watson, Technology Director

Straight from Housemarque.
Do you know what hardware accelerated ray tracing means?

Three

Usually when a game runs at consistent 30fps the actual non locked performance is higher than that. It's not like they've optimized every second of gameplay to run at exactly 30fps.
The problem is that the VRR implementation on Ps5 only kicks in from 48fps upwards so the mode would still look like crap as the VRR wouldn't get applied to the 30-48fps range.
Exactly so it wouldn't really work even with a 40hz range. This guy wants his cake and to eat it too:
"native 4k 60 targeted mode with VRR"

It makes no sense since the 60 target is dynamic 4k. Unless he is saying lower other graphics to reach native 4k at 60 target.

AC Valhalla did the same thing. It was supposed to be native 4k 60 fps but essentially 1440p 60 fps in gameplay almost 100% of the time.

They just dont want to say its 1440p for marketing reasons.

Well they have said that the 60fps is dynamic upscaled 4k for GoW:R not native here. so I'm trying to understand how a native 4k 60fps mode would work here other than cutting graphics settings instead of doing the normal resolution for framerate tradeoff.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

“By leveraging PS5’s ray-tracing hardware, we are able to deliver high-quality lighting in real time. Our global illumination system uniquely adapts to the randomized placement of the world, while neon-lit projectiles create that arcade, fever-dream feel our team is known for.”

Ethan Watson, Technology Director

Straight from Housemarque.
Do you know what hardware accelerated ray tracing means?
This is not ray traced GI my man. I dont know how else to say this. They are using the RT hardware to do something else with it. If I use my dick to have sex with a dude, it's not the same as having sex with a girl. Im still using my dick but I cant go around boasting I banged Jennifer Lawrence. They are using the hardware for a different purpose. HFW is doing the same thing. Doesnt mean HFW has ray traced lighting.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Well they have said that the 60fps is dynamic 4k for GoW:R not native here. so I'm trying to understand how a native 4k 60fps mode would work
The short answer it wont. You cant find 2x more frames at the same settings even if you go from high to low settings. You have to reduce the resolution.

On the Pro, they had the 4kcb running at 30 fps. Even after they reduced the settings and resolution down to 1080p (half of 4kcb) they werent able to hit a consistent 60 fps. IIRC, it hovered around 50-55 fps in combat. The PS5 has a better CPU so it wont run into the same bottlenecks the Pro ran into at 1080p but native 4k 60 fps is a tall task and almost no 3rd person action adventure game has been able to hit that on next gen consoles.

Spiderman and Ratchet's non-RT mode come close but they top out at 1800p IIRC.

EDIT: Forgot about Death Stranding. But in action it also drops below 60 fps, and they had to add a separate performance mode that ran at 1800p. It's possible GOW might drop to 1800p during combat while running at native 4k during exploration just like Death Stranding.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Thats not the same as ray tracing. It's just using the hardware accelerated cores to do its own software based GI. HFW does something similar, but neither is considered ray tracing.
Every GI solution is 'software based' - there's no 'GI hardware' in consoles (or indeed, PC GPUs). RDNA2 has cores that perform hardware-accelerated intersection tests. Everything else (including actual 'tracing' part of the rays, ie. traversal, acceleration structure construction/updates, computing the ray-bounce results - runs in software, in every game).

As for 'what is ray-tracing' - in the context of 'the algorithm' - very little is, outside of Quake and that Minecraft mod (did that actually release yet?).
Most implementations to-date are just part of traditional rasterization pipeline, and only touching some parts of light-contribution(usually starting with reflections). Now presumably - you are using an additional qualifier here ('tracing rays, with hardware units, direct to screen?') - which is getting silly with the semantics added, but yes, it does cover games with RT reflections, shadows etc. And it also excludes majority of GI implementations - including:
A similar system is used in Nvidia's RTXGI,
- I take we should now tell NVidia to remove RTX branding there?

Yoboman

It was great, but it wasn't perfect. If they have a better solution with less artifacts, I'm ok with it.

VRR is always a good option. All game scenes aren't the same. VRR allows developers to be a little more ambitious with their visuals without worrying about the limitations of a locked framerate during heavy scenes. A perfectly locked framerate throughout an entire game most certainly means performance is left on the table somewhere.
It's an action game, locked frame rates should be their number one priority. VRR is the poor man's solution to a locked 60 FPS

Fbh

Exactly so it wouldn't really work even with a 40hz range. This guy wants his cake and to eat it too:
"native 4k 60 targeted mode with VRR"

It makes no sense since the 60 target is dynamic 4k. Unless he is saying lower other graphics to reach native 4k at 60 target.

Well the reasoning would be:
Dynamic 4K with a 60fps target: Res gets dynamically adjusted but performance stays at (or close to) 60fps.
Native 4K with 60 target: Rest stays at locked 4K but performance is in the 30-45fps range

But yeah without a lower limit for VRR to kick in it'd be bad.

Sony used term "dynamic 4k" for games with CBR earlier, so it could mean whatever they want it to mean.

They wouldn’t call a locked 1440P dynamic 4K. Dynamic means there’s a variation which you won’t get with a fixed resolution.

Maybe I’m not understanding you correctly.

sncvsrtoip

It would be nice if sony first party studios starts to introduce 40fps mode (best also uncapped vrr) from the day1 and not months after most players finished game.

Thief1987

They wouldn’t call a locked 1440P dynamic 4K. Dynamic means there’s a variation which you won’t get with a fixed resolution.

Maybe I’m not understanding you correctly.
Mostly in a PS4 Pro era they used term "dynamic 4k" in PR for games like HZD or God of War, and these games don't have dynamic scaler they are locked 4k with CBR.

PS found an ad

Last edited:

Mahavastu

Why dynamic 4k and not 4kcb like the first game? It was fine.

Yes, the 1st game looks great on PS5

The PC version of GOW1 has FSR2 support. I assume they are using that or the magic Insomniac is using for upscaling. With Santa Monica Studio I trust in their excellence..

SlimySnake

It would be nice if sony first party studios starts to introduce 40fps mode (best also uncapped vrr) from the day1 and not months after most players finished game.
It's obvious that these studios are starved for resources and cant finish games on time. So cuts have to be made somewhere. If only they had a support tech focused studios like Nixxes to help with these secondary modes.....

I also like what KojiPro did with their next gen patch. They left the native 4k mode uncapped so if vrr support ever got added, the game would just work fine. Same goes for midgen consoles. Unlike other native 4k 30 fps capped games, DS will run at a locked 60 fps at native 4k on the PS5 Pro without the need for a patch.

Also disappointed no one bothered to add a Widescreen mode. It was the perfect compromise between a native IQ and 60 fps. The larger FOV really enhanced the scale of the game. Wouldve loved to have played HFW in that mode.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
"Targeted" 30 and 60?
Given how great horizon looks at 60, I'll happily lose a bit of clarity for a smoother gameplay experience.

Banned
It's obvious that these studios are starved for resources and cant finish games on time. So cuts have to be made somewhere. If only they had a support tech focused studios like Nixxes to help with these secondary modes.....

on paper this shouldn't be hard to add tho... like this stuff is basically standard in 99% of PC games and all it is is literally a setting in the game's graphics menu.
I really wonder why it's always seemingly so hard to add this shit into console games.

same with Apex Legends in its 120fps mode on current gen... WHAT IS TAKING SO LONG? it should literally be as easy as changing a single word/number in an .ini file. like WTF? even if it wouldn't run at a locked 120fps just have a note there telling you that you should only use it with a VRR screen...

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Every GI solution is 'software based' - there's no 'GI hardware' in consoles (or indeed, PC GPUs). RDNA2 has cores that perform hardware-accelerated intersection tests. Everything else (including actual 'tracing' part of the rays, ie. traversal, acceleration structure construction/updates, computing the ray-bounce results - runs in software, in every game).

As for 'what is ray-tracing' - in the context of 'the algorithm' - very little is, outside of Quake and that Minecraft mod (did that actually release yet?).
Most implementations to-date are just part of traditional rasterization pipeline, and only touching some parts of light-contribution(usually starting with reflections). Now presumably - you are using an additional qualifier here ('tracing rays, with hardware units, direct to screen?') - which is getting silly with the semantics added, but yes, it does cover games with RT reflections, shadows etc. And it also excludes majority of GI implementations - including:
- I take we should now tell NVidia to remove RTX branding there?
SlimySnake SlimySnake take the F'in L, bro. Your agenda is painfully transparent at this point.

Top Bottom