• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok PS5 Graphics Settings Revealed

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think the only reason 40fps mode was such a big omission from Horizon is that they screwed up the performance mode, right?

As long as Santa Monica do a decent job with the upscaling the 60fps mode should look great.
Nah, HFW and every other game that has a native 4k 30 fps mode is reducing resolution far too much in order to hit 60 fps. 1800p cb is just 2.8 million pixels, smack dab in the middle of 1440p and 1080p. Thats why an uncapped framerate at a higher resolution is needed in every game for players who dont want to reduce resolution that much.

A 40 fps uncapped mode with VRR at a higher resolution at say around 1800p would look far better than the dynamic 4k mode. We recently saw this in Ratchet and Spiderman. Their RT performance mode could drop as low as 1080p in some rare occasions and even at 1440p it didnt look as sharp as the native 4k version. However, the 40 fps vrr version runs between 40-50 fps, feels smooth and looks absolutely stunning.

Not to mention, the reduce input lag thanks to 120hz mode, and a higher level of detail. Ratchet and Spiderman had to reduce NPC count, lighting quality and other settings to hit a locked 60 fps in their dynamic 4k mode. Thats just too many compromises to hit a locked 60 fps when its frankly no longer needed if you have a VRR set.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Soo does this confirms no artificial player slowdowns for PS5 version???
If I had to guess, they would still make you go through the realm between realms but the portal would simply appear faster than it would on the PS4. Im guessing within a second or two.

They will still make you go through the bifrost to travel to other realms. Doubt they will design two separate loading systems for the same game.

DonF

It's a 60 fps life for me! GoW 2018 with fps unlocked on PS4 pro ran acceptable. It's runs flawlessly on PS5. I take 60 fps everyday

ChiefDada

Gold Member
If I had to guess, they would still make you go through the realm between realms but the portal would simply appear faster than it would on the PS4. Im guessing within a second or two.

They will still make you go through the bifrost to travel to other realms. Doubt they will design two separate loading systems for the same game.

I think this implies two different loading schemes since they mentioned fast loading during in game checkpoints. To me "in game checkpoints" are the slow mountain climbing, slow crawling back to house after first Baulder battle, slow walking with the Freya's pig, etc.

Hunnybun

Nah, HFW and every other game that has a native 4k 30 fps mode is reducing resolution far too much in order to hit 60 fps. 1800p cb is just 2.8 million pixels, smack dab in the middle of 1440p and 1080p. Thats why an uncapped framerate at a higher resolution is needed in every game for players who dont want to reduce resolution that much.

A 40 fps uncapped mode with VRR at a higher resolution at say around 1800p would look far better than the dynamic 4k mode. We recently saw this in Ratchet and Spiderman. Their RT performance mode could drop as low as 1080p in some rare occasions and even at 1440p it didnt look as sharp as the native 4k version. However, the 40 fps vrr version runs between 40-50 fps, feels smooth and looks absolutely stunning.

Not to mention, the reduce input lag thanks to 120hz mode, and a higher level of detail. Ratchet and Spiderman had to reduce NPC count, lighting quality and other settings to hit a locked 60 fps in their dynamic 4k mode. Thats just too many compromises to hit a locked 60 fps when its frankly no longer needed if you have a VRR set.

I think the vast majority of 60fps modes have offered good resolutions. Ratchet and Demon's Souls, it's hard to even tell the difference. Most of the others I've played have been like that too.

Among the big first party titles, HFW is the outlier. They just obviously didn't spend much time on it.

40fps modes are great and I often choose them, but they shouldn't be crucial - just a nice bonus.

The downgrades in graphical quality you refer to in Ratchet and Spiderman were basically imperceptible. Nobody who isn't obsessed with this stuff could tell the difference. The only one that was a little bit more noticeable was the lower NPC count in Spiderman. You soon forgot it though.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I think the vast majority of 60fps modes have offered good resolutions. Ratchet and Demon's Souls, it's hard to even tell the difference. Most of the others I've played have been like that too.

Among the big first party titles, HFW is the outlier. They just obviously didn't spend much time on it.

40fps modes are great and I often choose them, but they shouldn't be crucial - just a nice bonus.

The downgrades in graphical quality you refer to in Ratchet and Spiderman were basically imperceptible. Nobody who isn't obsessed with this stuff could tell the difference. The only one that was a little bit more noticeable was the lower NPC count in Spiderman. You soon forgot it though.

Agree with the exception of Ratchet. I guess I'm one of a few who notices a dramatic difference between fidelity vs performance vfx. Thankfully 40fps VRR is beyond satisfying for me.

However, the 40 fps vrr version runs between 40-50 fps, feels smooth and looks absolutely stunning.
Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't 40-50fps vrr mode be choppy since it's outside the PS5 VRR minimum vrr limit of 48hz? Wouldn't that lead to judder anytime the game runs 40-48fps?

Tarnpanzer

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't 40-50fps vrr mode be choppy since it's outside the PS5 VRR minimum vrr limit of 48hz? Wouldn't that lead to judder anytime the game runs 40-48fps?

Insomniac has a custom LFC implemented in their games. Hz will be doubled if framerate goes below 48fps. So even if the game drops to 24fps, it will still be 48Hz.

To bad LFC isn´t supported by PS5 on a system level. Maybe this is the reason why Horizon 2 won´t go above 40fps in Balanced Mode, because there is no custom LFC built into the engine there.

Last edited:
Agree with the exception of Ratchet. I guess I'm one of a few who notices a dramatic difference between fidelity vs performance vfx. Thankfully 40fps VRR is beyond satisfying for me.
Difference in Ratchet is huge. I don't know why so many people can't see it. I think people convince themselves it's "just as good" so they feel better about themselves because they don't want to play at anything but 60 fps. It's fine to do that but don't lie to yourself in the process.

This a million times over. How do first party Sony devs not understand this? Why are so many games stuck in outdated paradigms?

Very frustrating

Insomniac has a custom LFC implemented in their games. Hz will be doubled if framerate goes below 48fps. So even if the game drops to 24fps, it will still be 48Hz.

To bad LFC isn´t supported by PS5 on a system level. Maybe this is the reason why Horizon 2 won´t go above 40fps in Balanced Mode, because there is no custom LFC built into the engine there.
Right, interesting. Don't know how much Dev time is needed to implement such a custom solution per engine. Plus from what I understand lfc doesn't work on 60hz vrr panels. I don't think many Devs will give high priority to it till 120hz or higher TVs with vrr support reach higher penetration.

Hunnybun

Difference in Ratchet is huge. I don't know why so many people can't see it. I think people convince themselves it's "just as good" so they feel better about themselves because they don't want to play at anything but 60 fps. It's fine to do that but don't lie to yourself in the process.

What's the difference? I can't see anything. Be specific, don't just say things like "the lighting". Someone mentioned the quality of explosions to me once, but I tried comparing them and even looking closely for a difference, I couldn't see one.

Obviously the resolution is higher and you're gonna notice that over the performance RT mode, and maybe over the regular performance mode depending on your screen and seating position, but otherwise they all look extremely similar to me.

The only other thing I can think of is the fur quality, which does look a bit crap in the performance modes.

Personally I play in the 40fps mode with VRR, because it basically come down to a choice between RT and a small increase in fluidity, and I go with RT. I don't bother with performance RT anymore because the RT isn't worth the relatively big hit to resolution.

Top Bottom