• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War Ragnarok Reviewer Has Received Death Threat After Giving The Game A 6 Out Of 10

sainraja

I'd add rockstar to that list. Early 00s trash mission design, terrible controls but the games get 95+ score on metacritic.

I love the fact that no one here played the game yet they know that it's a 10/10.
Don't be so obvious.

Most of us have played the first one and this is a sequel to that. I don't read or care for reviews and only check them out after I have watched/played something I was interested in (and it's kinda rare where I do that, also the interest came from originally taking a risk to try out a series such as God of War after playing Prince of Persia and loving it....I didn't know then that God of War was going to be another good one, that's why it was kind of a risk, money wise.)
In conclusion, there is a very good chance that if they liked the first, they will like the second one.

We all get it, you've played it already and you don't like it. It's fine. You can move on. :D

Last edited:
Is that so? And just which indie games has he developed and which films has he directed?

It's from OP.

His work might be good, maybe not.

But it shows his perspective.

Even Polygon gave it bad review and compared it with Marvel movies. Some people have different expectations.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Perfect score is 8/10, everything above is paid by $ony.
SS6J3sh.png

THE SPEED 💀

RCU005

Giving death threats is such an absurd practice. What the hell do people think! Even if it’s just a nonsense comment, these people should be detained for that.

With that said, there is no way GOW:R is a 6/10. People can have their own opinion, you might no like the game, but there is no way the game is a 6.

Not liking something doesn’t mean is not good. So is the review a professional review giving an objective opinion, or a personal one? If it’s the former, the review is wrong, if it’s the latter, then by all means he has all the right to give it whatever he wants.

GenericUser

These guys are not gamers, they are idiots. They are taking review scores WAAAY to serious.
Who gives a fuck about review scores, if you enjoy the game?

Last edited:

Puscifer

Gold Member
Maybe your favorite company isn't good at it. have you thought about that? Instead of acting like victim
What the fuck are you even talking about?

I'd add rockstar to that list. Early 00s trash mission design, terrible controls but the games get 95+ score on metacritic.

I love the fact that no one here played the game yet they know that it's a 10/10.
Yeah it's mind boggling. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to play it and have it pre ordered and I liked God of War 18 enough to play it again 3 times (twice on PS4 and Once on PC). For what it's worth GTA games really pushed boundaries back in the early 00s, and if it weren't for the aesthetics of stuff like Vice City they'd be hard games to come back too in general and I say this as someone who back then 100% Vice City and San Andreas twice because I loved them so much.

N30RYU

surely he wanted to put a 1 and a 0 out of 10 and instead the numbers merged resulting in:
1 0
( 0
(o

As much as death threats are sad, unacceptable and an admission of how sad that's persons life really is;

Dont pity this guy, he got exaclty what he wanted from his review.....clicks.

based on the last game and what i've seen of this new one it looks like an average game. didn't enjoy the first one and the leaked footage doesn't do anything for me. i'm not seeing any improvements that make me think oh this looks better i might buy it.

Puscifer

Gold Member
You really going to tell me with a straight face that you think certain games from certain publishers DON'T get a bump? What about Red Dead Redemption 2, the boring linear slog that would actually fail you for trying to approach a mission YOUR way was deserving of it's reception? Without the hype that it was a new Rockstar game it wouldn't have taken 3 years for people to start admitting the actual gameplay was BORING.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I'd gave 2018 game a 6 if it wasn't for great art, setting and story. God of War III is MILES better game in almost every aspect of gameplay and combat, world exploration and just miles better backtracking, camera and sheer amount of stuff you can do in combat when it comes to movement and mobility (not to mention real fuckin' relics and weapons of gods you can use in various ways) - what a massive step down 2018 game was and still is on that front. I will never play 2018 game again and fuck those Valkyries.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
You really going to tell me with a straight face that you think certain games from certain publishers DON'T get a bump? What about Red Dead Redemption 2, the boring linear slog that would actually fail you for trying to approach a mission YOUR way was deserving of it's reception? Without the hype that it was a new Rockstar game it wouldn't have taken 3 years for people to start admitting the actual gameplay was BORING.
Red Dead 2 is a masterpiece. Yes it does some things wrong like any game ever that got high scores. There is nothing surprise of the scores that game got.
It's beatiful well crafted world. Honestly I could go on. The strengths of that game the list is too damn high.

Sony got loads of games with low scores. Only a few stands out.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Or maybe it's you sending him death threats? Knowing Playstation haters it's very possible.

I have all platforms so nope.

I hope these Playstation fans (who send the death threat) can accept that people can have different opinion. Seek help

Last edited:

zkorejo

There's always one reviewer who rates the game low for attention and gets it. I remember Lolygon doing it for years. They always succeed in garnering attention.

This guy is doubling down for attention with "I'm getting death threats". I doubt he's worried about some stupid nerd sending death threats anonymously via text on internet.

Lupin25

I mean why is it disingenuous? Nintendo and Sony games get a bump up and we all know it. Majority of those games do not deserve perfect scores and I'm not going to lie when I tell you that so far Ragnarok honestly looks to be more of the same so far in terms of gameplay.

6/10 though?

10/10 might be just as disingenuous, but we know the kind of games that typically receive those low level scores.

God of War typically isn’t one of them.

Last edited:

Danknugz

i haven't played gow since ps2 and i loved it. must admit when i saw footage of the latest (not sure if it's the brand new one or not) and saw the guy running around with the little boy, first thing i thought was wow that looks boring and the i thought maybe theyre just aiming for little kids who want to be brought on an adventure with some big hulking daddy type and fight big bad monsters

🥱

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
RDR2 was an amazing world with a fantastic story. Arthur Morgan is one of gaming's best protagonists ever.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
His review score seemed a bit disingenuous.
6/10 is just… outrageous 😂
But death threats over review scores?

Insane. Nothing surprises me anymore these days tho.

If you wonder why Sony favors Metacritic, this is why.
You get this shit every once in a while in gaming.

I wonder how wide spread this is for movie or book reviewers. I have a feeling (no proof) that you get a shit load more wacky people in gaming.

GymWolf

Morons on both parts, the fanboys for being childish extremists and the dude for crying on twitter when the menace probably come from a 16 years old obese cunt (and he fucking knows that)

You chose to share your work online, don't cry for every little shit with too much time on his hand, twitter mob is not gonna help you.

MiguelItUp

Because social media is a mistake.
Yuuuuup.

I mean, even if this review was "troll bait" it's still just a person's opinion, which is what a review is. A "professional" opinion. Scores CAN (usually) give you an idea of what to expect in terms of a quality product, but everything else is subjective. No person should ever be harassed in anyway, shape, or form, because of their perspective.

The fact that some people go out of their way to do such things is... really gross. Just radicals, really.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Gold Member
Red Dead 2 is a masterpiece. Yes it does some things wrong like any game ever that got high scores. There is nothing surprise of the scores that game got.
It's beatiful well crafted world. Honestly I could go on. The strengths of that game the list is too damn high.

Sony got loads of games with low scores. Only a few stands out.
It does A LOT of things wrong. How is failing you for trying to flank enemies from a different position or going in another direction because it doesnt "fit" with the cInEmaTic PrEseNtaTiOn of the mission? An entire mission where it's a rhythm game of pressing X to build a house?

RDR2 was an amazing world with a fantastic story. Arthur Morgan is one of gaming's best protagonists ever.
And Michael Fassbinder elevated trash like Alien Covenant and The Snowman, sure as hell didn't make them great movies because someone's performance outdid everything else.

6/10 though?

10/10 might be just as disingenuous, but we know the kind of games that typically receive those low level scores.

God of War typically isn’t one of them.

God of War 18 was an 8/10 for me, the combat was boring and the cutscenes killed a lot of replayability. I didn't play it again till the new game+ and cutscene skips were patched in later on. I still have it pre ordered on Amazon and I'm looking forward to playing it but y'all need to get a grip, you haven't played it, you know nothing about it, you know damn well besides the story what actual combat gameplays been shown doesn't look all that different.

Devil May Cry 5 is one of my top 10 favorite games of ALL TIME and even I can point out that at times the level design isn't great, that when you compare V and Nero their combat isn't at deep even though it's damn fun in their own ways and guess what? I'd still call it an 8 for it's flaws but I've replayed it more than 7 times on different difficulties between the original release, PC and definitive edition on PS5.

sendit

Yuuuuup.

I mean, even if this review was "troll bait" it's still just a person's opinion, which is what a review is. A "professional" opinion. Scores CAN (usually) give you an idea of what to expect in terms of a quality product, but everything else is subjective. No person should ever be harassed in anyway, shape, or form, because of their perspective.

The fact that some people go out of their way to do such things is... really gross. Just radicals, really.
Yep. Additionally, this mindset isn’t secluded to a single group like some in here would like to believe.

Last edited:
Have the developers ditched the colonoscopy camera for the new one? Cos being stuck up that guys rectum knocked more than a few points off for me.

Guys I tweeted Halo Infinite was mediocre.

I'm getting death threats non-stop.

Remember. Believe victims. Even if the victim is just making crap up for attention or to push an agenda. That's the 2020s society you all signed up for.

Thirty7ven

Banned
It's from OP.

His work might be good, maybe not.

But it shows his perspective.

Even Polygon gave it bad review and compared it with Marvel movies. Some people have different expectations.

God of War 2018 already has more complex character writing than any Marvel movie, not to mention a much more classical understanding of the hero’s journey lifting a lot more from its original concepts (mythology and Greek theater), even though they drink from the same pool (comic books largely lift from ancient mythology and employ basic understanding of the hero’s journey). Yes I do know what I’m talking about, and I actually provide a extremely brief albeit correct assertion without hiding behind the misty veil of “I’m a writer therefore trust me”, as if the vast majority of writers aren’t shit to offensively mediocre (or directors and developers for that matter).

Ragnarok would need to dumb down a lot to become MCU. Maybe it happened, but the vast majority of people who played it seem to eco the same thought, that the writing has in fact improved.

Most people don’t even understand the difference between story and plot by the way.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ok, I conceed, you're right. cInEmaTic PrEseNtaTiOn and hyper realism at the expense of gameplay > player freedom and actual fun factor.
I had a lot of fun with RDR2, and the freedom you have to do so much in that game is fantastic. IDK what you're on about other than trying to shoehorn some pseudo intellectual talking points about film/media.

Puscifer

Gold Member
I had a lot of fun with RDR2, and the freedom you have to do so much in that game is fantastic. IDK what you're on about other than trying to shoehorn some pseudo intellectual talking points about film/media.
You have more freedom in the open world than you do in the actual missions is my point. There's so many random failure states in missions you could fail just because you took a left instead of a right or flanked enemies the wrong way.

My point about movies was that as great as a protagonist might be because of their acting direction and elevates certain portions of a body of art doesn't elevate everything else about the film.

In this case, Arthur is definitely a great protagonist but he's in a boring game.

Last edited:

Terenty

Has anyone actually cared to read the review? The actually has good points about AAA industry being stale and safe as fuck, which he said Gow Ragnarok is. A safe, by the numbers sequel to a a successful game.

Gotta keep an eye on this guy, seems to be one of the few honest reviewers kit there.

Top Bottom