• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarok Writer Champions Angrboda as Part of "Our own spin" on Norse mythology

I really wonder who keeps making this argument. Because it's so bad. Black Panthers race is integral to the character in a way where you cannot seperate the two. There are multiple characters like this. Bruce Wayne should always be white. Red Skull should always be white. Shang Chi should always be Asian. Thing should probably always be white. I'd be against swapping most/any of tjose.

There are other characters though, whos race is not integral to the character. Johnny Storm doesn't have to be white really. Nightcrawler doesn't always have to be white. Selina Kyle. So on and so forth. These ones idgaf if you swap.

In this particular instance given how liberally they've adapted the material thus far, I see nothing that suggests this character is one of the former but rather one of the later.

This argument is always so lazy because implies that race and character are either always intertwined or never are, when that is not the case.

Id argue the very thing that makes a mythology a mythology is that it takes what is normally grounded and adds fantastical or exaggerated elements to that.

Isnt this character a shape-shifting diety? She can have many forms depending on the environment.
WGFD3mF.gif

yurinka

Jutun can have all sorts of looks in the mythos.
They dont have an ethnicity so maybe some of them had caramel skin.
Maybe some of them were grey
Maybe who gives a shit they arent going to sit there mid game saying why is your skin caramel?
Weve seen blue dwarves but a caramel Jotun....by Odins beard so special please tell us how you ended up being caramel colored?

If you are so worried about internal consistency did you ask this same question about the brothers?
raf-grassetti-broksindriingame02.jpg
European blue dwarves? Sounds familiar:

thesmurfs-800x400.jpg

Sounds interesting. For once there would be some detailed African settings (aside from games with Egyptian Sphinx and pyramid stuff).

But good luck waiting for games like that.

The sales and marketing aspect would drop as the lead character wouldnt be the usual White guy with dark brown hair, and if a game was made where tons of African people getting slaughtered like a shooter or RPG youd get a lot of flak.

That RE5 game got flak for African zombies when the game was set in Africa!

So I can understand why devs dont want to go too deep. Most flak-less method is to inject Blank characters into whatever game, make them a decent character and leave it at that. You get a combo of PR, "they're doing their part", and it totally reduces the risk of making mistakes with an African themed game (especially since most dev teams are almost all white and asian employees).
They can make a GoW in Egypt with Kratos killing non-human mythological monsters and stuff like mummies or even to cover the skin of the people with clothes or armors, or even to introduce people with different skin colors that were/are available there.

No neetd to be a 'white man killing loads of black people' game. But doesn't matter what they do: there can always be stupid SJW complains for any case they could do: they can complain because they indluded (problematic representation!) or didn't (lack of representation!), or whatever the setting is (cultural appropiation!).

Last edited:

Toons

Banned
Any colored creator is under no obligation to cater to every single race and sex in their product, as long as no harm done. The entire battle here is to destroy Western white culture. There's a lot more to it, but you're not ready for it quite yet. Having fun?

Ah the good old replacement theory.

Yall still trying to parrot that nonsense?

Also imagine thinking God of War has anything to do with western white culture LMAO

Last edited:

JoeBudden

Let's try again, why is some stupidity ok (black people playing roles meant for white people) and not ok the other way around? You have no answer, other than that sad emoji. Oh, nevermind, I think you might be missing your gender studies class. ;)

"the other way around" has occurred all throughout history and not with the most positive intent lmao, but please continue making yourself look like a complete clown

Ah the good old replacement theory.

Yall still trying to parrot that nonsense?

Also imagine thinking God of War has anything to do with western white culture LMAO
Isnt this cultural appropriation tho? Some cultures dont like when people take their culture and play with it. I dunno.

I know the Japanese dont care. So it is a weird dynamic.

Boss Man

It’s kind of annoying only because of how forced it is. Like if the game was made in Canada and they cast an Egyptian god as an Eskimo for diversity. I’d prefer artistic decisions in games not to be driven by local politics, but I’m sure I’ll enjoy the game just fine. Didn’t they say the character is supposed to have “blue” skin or something?

Last edited:
Black Panthers race is integral to the character in a way where you cannot seperate the two. There are multiple characters like this. Bruce Wayne should always be white. Red Skull should always be white. Shang Chi should always be Asian. Thing should probably always be white.
I dont see how Bruce Wayne has to be white. I can see how Captain America can be. Since he’s tied down to a specific era. White isnt really tied down to a culture. Is there a reason Bruce couldnt be from Argentina? They’re white. Now Mario would be hard to switch from Italian. French superhero would also be hard. But just being white?

Toons

Banned
I dont see how Bruce Wayne has to be white. I can see how Captain America can be. Since he’s tied down to a specific era. White isnt really tied down to a culture. Is there a reason Bruce couldnt be from Argentina? They’re white. Now Mario would be hard to switch from Italian. French superhero would also be hard. But just being white?

Bruce Wayne entire persona and his family background is inspired by socialites of the 30s and 40s era so I mean he could have Argentina ancestry I guess.

Batmans in a wierd Flux where his origin kinda cant take place in modern times and make sense

Rac3r

Any colored creator is under no obligation to cater to every single race and sex in their product, as long as no harm done. The entire battle here is to destroy Western white culture. There's a lot more to it, but you're not ready for it quite yet. Having fun?
never heard of it

Topher

Gold Member
I really wonder who keeps making this argument. Because it's so bad. Black Panthers race is integral to the character in a way where you cannot seperate the two. There are multiple characters like this. Bruce Wayne should always be white. Red Skull should always be white. Shang Chi should always be Asian. Thing should probably always be white. I'd be against swapping most/any of tjose.

There are other characters though, whos race is not integral to the character. Johnny Storm doesn't have to be white really. Nightcrawler doesn't always have to be white. Selina Kyle. So on and so forth. These ones idgaf if you swap.

In this particular instance given how liberally they've adapted the material thus far, I see nothing that suggests this character is one of the former but rather one of the later.

This argument is always so lazy because implies that race and character are either always intertwined or never are, when that is not the case.

Id argue the very thing that makes a mythology a mythology is that it takes what is normally grounded and adds fantastical or exaggerated elements to that.

Isnt this character a shape-shifting diety? She can have many forms depending on the environment.

I agree regarding Black Panther, but I'd say any character in an established universe shouldn't just change race. Johnny Storm in the comics shouldn't suddenly become a non-white man. That's a bit ridiculous. They didn't make Peter Parker black. They introduced Miles Morales. Perfectly fine. But if there is a retelling, like the MCU, then I see no problem with it. Such as Nick Fury being played by Samuel L Jackson. That's also fine, imo. I do think there would be a double standard in the case like the Falcon. There is no reason why he couldn't be white in a retelling of the tale, but if he were then a lot of people would be offended and so that is never going to happen. That's just how it is, unfortunately.

In this case, God of War is branching Norse and even Greek mythology into an entirely new direction and the creators, I believe, should have the freedom to do what they want to do. If that means Angrboda is black and Thor is fat then so be it. And although some here are calling that "pandering", that doesn't make sense to me. Who was calling on Santa Monica Studios to introduce black characters into the story? As far as I know, no one. It seems to me they are simply being creative with the characters. Why not?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Since all these characters are fake, anyone can make any character anything. Any writer can make a Black Superman or a White Blade.

As for anyone bringing up Black Panther, who says the entire city of Wakanda has to be Black people? It's not like Africa is 100% Black. Does Wakanda have something against non-Black people they arent allowed to live there? But they'd never push that needle because the writers have no balls. Its easy to make a historically White cast to have some minorities take over the costume to join the party, than have let's say a White guy be second in command to T'Challa or have some White people among that group of powerful politicians in the movie to mix up the diversity in a reverse way.

In real life, there's White people in Africa and the Northern parts have a lot of Middle Eastern influence, and I'd guess any country right across the sea from Italy probably has a bunch of Itals there too. You never know.

But for sake of legacy, and not flip flopping characters for sake of diversity and trying to PR that a new Wolverine is a new Chinese guy or from Chile, just relax and keep Logan a White dude. You never know. Next Wolverine might be Hawaiian. Maybe change him up to be a her. Wolveriness. New alternate universe. Why not?

Problem is, writers are stuck because for sake of money and overall interest, if they try to make a new legion of stories from the grassroots about minority heroes it might not catch on. But everyone knows the popular Marvel and DC heroes, so the easiest way is to change up the person in the suit vs. introduce a new groundbreaking superhero legend.

I totally get it. Money makes the world go round. I'm no comic book expert, but out of the 100s or 1000s of series, theres got to be some minority based franchises they made beyond Black Panther that can string to a bunch of movies. But easiest way to do racial diversity is just keep the same characters for the most part and just change the look of the cast.

Last edited:
The only race swap stuff that I found somewhat annoying was the Witcher TV show. Not much Slavic based stuff ever reaches the US and Western Europe and when something did some of the main characters were different races.

The backlash (how real it was I don’t know) over Kingdom Come Deliverance not featuring black characters was strange too. I hardly live in the middle of nowhere and can probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen a black person this year outside of the city centre never mind Bohemia in 1403.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The backlash (how real it was I don’t know) over Kingdom Come Deliverance not featuring black characters was strange too. I hardly live in the middle of nowhere and can probably count on one hand the number of times I’ve seen a black person this year outside of the city centre never mind Bohemia in 1403.
A lot of places are like that outside of metro hubs.

Canada is stereotyped as a giant multicultural country. Absolute BS. Ok, maybe Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal metro areas are. And perhaps a bit of Ottawa and Calgary. But:

- There's still tons of White people as a whole
- Only the key metro hubs have lots of minorities
- Drive 30 minutes on a highway outside of a core metro hub and it'll be the outskirts and then small towns. It's like 90%+ White people
- Some provinces literally have single digit % of population as minorities

Armorian

Banned
Are they going to explain this in some internally consistent way? She's an immigrant from another pantheon like Kratos, all the giants look African, something like that? Or is it just literally arbitrary that this one character is black?

That to me is the key point - it's not enough to say oh it's fantasy we can do whatever we want. That's idiotic. Your world has to be internally consistent.

Yes! This is it. If you want to make move like they did make sense of if with the game story. Shadow of War DLC had asian people into the mix. There weren't any in Tolkien books and movies but world itself totally allowed it with never described massive lands of ME in the east. Game make it logical for people with asian features to be there. I know LOTR world is completely fictional but at least human populations were placed into the map same as Europe/middle east/Asia territories where books explore mostly "European" part of the map.

Please for the love of God make it stop. Look at a map and figure out where Egypt is .Most of the Egyptians you see today migrated there from middle eastern countries. SMH how are people so I’ll informed I almost posted a picture of my wife…. She’s Egyptian by the way. Egypt is in North Africa. My wife’s Father is Egyptian and her mother is from Eritrea. You want to know what ancient Egyptians looked like look up people from the Sudan, Eritrea and Ethiopia. All in Africa and all right next door to Egypt which is you know, in Africa.

I hope you were being sarcastic and I just missed it. It’s 1:30 am here and I’ve been up since 5am.

This shit is complicated. We know for sure there were black pharaohs but for the most part ancient Egypt looked probably not that much different from todays Egypt:

Mainstream scholars reject the notion that Egypt was a white or black civilization; they maintain that, despite the phenotypic diversity of Ancient and present-day Egyptians, applying modern notions of black or white races to ancient Egypt is anachronistic.[2][3][4] In addition, scholars reject the notion, implicit in the notion of a black or white Egypt hypothesis, that Ancient Egypt was racially homogeneous; instead, skin color varied between the peoples of Lower Egypt, Upper Egypt, and Nubia, who in various eras rose to power in Ancient Egypt. Moreover, "Most scholars believe that Egyptians in antiquity looked pretty much as they look today, with a gradation of darker shades toward the Sudan".[5] Within Egyptian history, despite multiple foreign invasions, the demographics were not shifted by large migrations.

The arguments in favor of her being black are really dumb regardless of whether you're okay with it or not, it only makes me wonder why she doesn't look straight up inhuman then.
Why African very specifically?

We all know the reason why.

In Marvel and AC Vallhala people/giants from Jotunheim were blue

Assassins-Creed-Valhalla-Challenging-The-Jotnar-To-A-Fight-At-The-Feast.jpg
jotunheim_2.jpg

So Atreus mother was black or what?

Last edited:

Vaelka

Yes! This is it. If you want to make move like they did make sense of if with the game story. Shadow of War DLC had asian people into the mix. There weren't any in Tolkien books and movies but world itself totally allowed it with never described massive lands of ME in the east. Game make it logical for people with asian features to be there. I know LOTR world is completely fictional but at least human populations were placed into the map same as Europe/middle east/Asia territories where books explore mostly "European" part of the map.

This shit is complicated. We know for sure there were black pharaohs but for the most part ancient Egypt looked probably not that much different from todays Egypt:

In Marvel and AC Vallhala people/giants from Jotunheim were blue

Assassins-Creed-Valhalla-Challenging-The-Jotnar-To-A-Fight-At-The-Feast.jpg
jotunheim_2.jpg

So Atreus mother was black or what?

The difference is that Thor etc in Marvel is only extremely loosely based on actual mythology and they're essentially aliens ( human aliens are a thing in that universe ).
It's more like just blatant theft of Norse mythology because they thought Vikings are cool or something, it really has basically nothing to do with the actual mythology and culture.
AC doesn't really revolve around mythology the way that God of War does either and at least them being blue genies makes them '' other '' in a more supernatural sense.

In God of War she's just black because it's trendy in America to throw black people into literally everything it doesn't make sense no matter how people want to try and spin it here.
At least not with the excuses people are using that she's a Jotun and uh.

I can't believe that no one has pointed out how questionable it is to have the one black character and the justification as to why it makes sense being because they're essentially a monster race lol.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
European blue dwarves? Sounds familiar:

And when the album The Black Smurfs was published in English they had to change them to purple.

The_Black_Smurfs.jpg

Apparently due to the title and the nature of the black-skinned Smurfs, this comic issue was not until recently translated for the racially-cautious English-speaking market, despite not characterizing 'black Smurfs' as a race but rather as sufferers of a zombie-like condition (transmissible but luckily reversible). The English translation of the story published by Papercutz changes the black Smurfs to purple.

So black is the new blue (as Angrboda is usually blue-ish in past artwork) and purple is the new black.

Angrboda is the segway to enter the lands of black gods of egypt.

This fiction over fiction. I love how they are reinventing it.

Please for the love of God make it stop. Look at a map and figure out where Egypt is .Most of the Egyptians you see today migrated there from middle eastern countries. SMH how are people so I’ll informed I almost posted a picture of my wife…. She’s Egyptian by the way. Egypt is in North Africa. My wife’s Father is Egyptian and her mother is from Eritrea. You want to know what ancient Egyptians looked like look up people from the Sudan, Eritrea and Ethiopia. All in Africa and all right next door to Egypt which is you know, in Africa.

I hope you were being sarcastic and I just missed it. It’s 1:30 am here and I’ve been up since 5am.
Look, "OsirisBlack," I lived in Egypt. I know what Egyptians look like. There's a great deal of diversity, but by and large they don't look black. Egypt is in North Africa, and North Africans also by and large don't look black - the Sahara was until very recently a more or less impenetrable barrier to population flows from the rest of Africa, whereas the Mediterranean links Egypt and the rest of North Africa quite effortlessly with the Levant, Anatolia, and Southern Europe. Egypt's population was not substantially altered by immigration from the Middle East (Egypt has and has always had a larger population than any of the Middle Eastern populations that supposedly resettled it). The only neighboring "black" people, the Nubians, were also much smaller in population than the Egyptians themselves.

This whole "look at a map, Egypt's in Africa, Africans are black, therefore Egyptians are/were black" thing is historically and geographically illiterate. Let's actually look at a map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Africa_(satellite_image).jpg

If you're a pre-modern human with pre-modern technology, what do you think it'll be easier to do - cross the Sahara or cross the Mediterranean? Do you think it'll be easier to get to Egypt from Palestine, Turkey, Greece, or Italy, or do you think it'll be easier to get there from Nubia (remember, the Nile has cataracts!), Ethiopia (remember, the Red Sea has dangerous coral reefs!), or West Africa? Look at the distances at play - Ethiopia is that circular patch of green to the southeast of Egypt, right across the Bab al-Mandab from Yemen. Look how fucking far that is compared to Palestine (literally right next to Egypt), or to Greece. Look how little arable land there is in Nubia - you can barely make out the trace of the Nile. There's a reason the Nubians only successfully invaded Egypt one time, whereas Egypt has been constantly invaded and conquered by its Mediterranean neighbors.

Egypt is surrounded on three sides by non-black peoples (North African Berbers to the west, Greeks and Italians to the north, Palestinians and other Arabs to the east). The Mediterranean links Egypt to all three of these peoples. There's only one direction in which Egypt borders a black population, the numerically vastly smaller Nubians to the south, and to get to them you have to brave the Nile cataracts. That's the reason the Egyptians aren't and have never been black.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Look, "OsirisBlack," I lived in Egypt. I know what Egyptians look like. There's a great deal of diversity, but by and large they don't look black. Egypt is in North Africa, and North Africans also by and large don't look black - the Sahara was until very recently a more or less impenetrable barrier to population flows from the rest of Africa, whereas the Mediterranean links Egypt and the rest of North Africa quite effortlessly with the Levant, Anatolia, and Southern Europe. Egypt's population was not substantially altered by immigration from the Middle East (Egypt has and has always had a larger population than any of the Middle Eastern populations that supposedly resettled it). The only neighboring "black" people, the Nubians, were also much smaller in population than the Egyptians themselves.

This whole "look at a map, Egypt's in Africa, Africans are black, therefore Egyptians are/were black" thing is historically and geographically illiterate. Let's actually look at a map: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Africa_(satellite_image).jpg

If you're a pre-modern human with pre-modern technology, what do you think it'll be easier to do - cross the Sahara or cross the Mediterranean? Do you think it'll be easier to get to Egypt from Palestine, Turkey, Greece, or Italy, or do you think it'll be easier to get there from Nubia (remember, the Nile has cataracts!), Ethiopia (remember, the Red Sea has dangerous coral reefs!), or West Africa? Look at the distances at play - Ethiopia is that circular patch of green to the southeast of Egypt, right across the Bab al-Mandab from Yemen. Look how fucking far that is compared to Palestine (literally right next to Egypt), or to Greece. Look how little arable land there is in Nubia - you can barely make out the trace of the Nile. There's a reason the Nubians only successfully invaded Egypt one time, whereas Egypt has been constantly invaded and conquered by its Mediterranean neighbors.

Egypt is surrounded on three sides by non-black peoples (North African Berbers to the west, Greeks and Italians to the north, Palestinians and other Arabs to the east). The Mediterranean links Egypt to all three of these peoples. There's only one direction in which Egypt borders a black population, the numerically vastly smaller Nubians to the south, and to get to them you have to brave the Nile cataracts. That's the reason the Egyptians aren't and have never been black.
The next GoW is going to adopt the black Israelites BS, aren’t they? Oh dear, I hope we’re all off on the Egypt theory connection with “their own spin” placement.

Last edited:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.

How he thinks jesus is:

jesussecondcoming.jpg

reality:

screen-shot-2019-11-26-at-2-11-31-pm-1574795979.png

Kimahri

Banned
Your rebuttal invalidates itself, read it. Stylistic interpretation instead of actual geographic accuracy…. Greco Roman style art not Egyptian. Just means it was heavily influenced by OTHERS. It’s weird reading through all of this I’ve never seen anything like it. People really believe that North Africans look like that? The lightest people I’ve run into in Africa are generally in the more popular areas….

How about these then?

I don't really get how modern day is relevant to 1000+ years ago, but ok.

OsirisBlack

Banned

How about these then?

I don't really get how modern day is relevant to 1000+ years ago, but ok.
It’s not at all and that’s the thing everyone is thinking about Egypt today all you have to do is look at the actual art from 1000s of years ago their own art shows them as brown and caramel skinned with big ears, noses and full lips. Hell even the Sphinx looks … you know. The actual Egyptians themselves have no art where they look anything but brown hell even their gods were brown and some very dark skinned. Not modern art or Roman art, their art.

Your rebuttal invalidates itself, read it. Stylistic interpretation instead of actual geographic accuracy…. Greco Roman style art not Egyptian. Just means it was heavily influenced by OTHERS. It’s weird reading through all of this I’ve never seen anything like it. People really believe that North Africans look like that? The lightest people I’ve run into in Africa are generally in the more popular areas….
Anyone who has ever been to Egypt knows you're full of shit. Literally just googled "Egyptian protester," none of these people look black: https://www.google.com/search?q=egy...rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS877US877#imgrc=Iivwn2UXPpuIOM

Anyone’s who’s ever been to Egypt also knows it’s juSt about 98% middle eastern today kind of the same way Japan is 98% Japanese today I’m not getting your point we’re not talking about today we’re talking thousands of years ago. I know exactly what it looks like over there now unlike you who had to google search protesters. SMH.
Dude, HOW did sparsely populated desert Arabia repopulate Egypt, the most densely populated society of the ancient Mediterranean?? Where did all those people come from, such that 98% of Egypt's population was replaced? Why is there no genetic or historical evidence of such a massive population transfer (medieval Islamic records show that most of the Egyptian population was Coptic-speaking for centuries after the conquest, and only gradually adopted Arabic as their primary language)?

You believe in a conspiracy theory. Egypt has been conquered by surrounding societies throughout its history, but none of those societies have ever repopulated it. The pattern is that a relatively small ruling elite arrives, settles down, marries local women, and blends into the population within a few generations, leaving a small trace on local genetics. This happened with the Sea Peoples, the Kushans (a.k.a. Nubians), the Greeks, the Romans, and the Arabs. The Egyptians who live in Egypt today are the same Egyptians who've always lived there.

Edited to add:
I think everyone is clear that we’re not talking about today. Or even 50 years ago. Also no one said that the people in Egypt today resembled what they looked like thousands of years ago. That’s the debate.
Why wouldn't they? Do the modern Chinese not resemble the ancient Chinese? Do the modern Indians not resemble the ancient Indians? Do the modern Greeks not resemble the ancient Greeks? Do the modern Irish not resemble the ancient Irish. Of course they do. And the modern Egyptians resemble the ancient Egyptians.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
It’s not at all and that’s the thing everyone is thinking about Egypt today all you have to do is look at the actual art from 1000s of years ago their own art shows them as brown and caramel skinned with big ears, noses and full lips. Hell even the Sphinx looks … you know. The actual Egyptians themselves have no art where they look anything but brown hell even their gods were brown and some very dark skinned. Not modern art or Roman art, their art.
I'm not saying the look white and I haven't seen anyone suggesting they do, or did. But they're a far cry from, say, somali people. I'd say the look closer to a southern european than a somali.

I feel this all gets so arbitrary and silly after a while. Like everything has to be black or white. Ethnicity is more than blsck or white. There's myriad hues in between.

What defines a white person, or a black person?

Toons

Banned
The arguments in favor of her being black are really dumb regardless of whether you're okay with it or not, it only makes me wonder why she doesn't look straight up inhuman then.
Why African very specifically?

We all know the reason why.

This implies they need a "reason" to make her black. They really dont. And white characters is not the default race. That may have been how it once was in entertainment media but there is no reason to be beholden to that.

So the very notion that there needs to be an "argument" on "why" the character is black is silly.

No conspiracy at all but I’m going to digress. We’re talking in circles. Race seems to bother everyone and it’s weird no one wants anything to be African including Africa. Hopefully they do visit Egypt in the next god of war and kratos gets to slaughter that pantheon. Personally I don’t care what color a character is in a game and tbh we don’t even know the story or context of the character or where they are going with it. This is much to do about nothing and has taught me something new about people at 42 years of age.
Obviously if Kratos goes to Nigeria or something then it would make sense for everyone to be black. The issue isn't that nobody wants "Africa to be African," the issue is that Egyptians just plain aren't black. They're a Mediterranean population and they look like their neighbors.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This implies they need a "reason" to make her black. They really dont. And white characters is not the default race. That may have been how it once was in entertainment media but there is no reason to be beholden to that.

So the very notion that there needs to be an "argument" on "why" the character is black is silly.

Tell me, if they made a game that featured prominent African or Mayan gods and they made a few of them white, you wouldn't question at all why that was?

You are right in that they don't need a "reason" to make this particular god black. Hell they could make her a giant rock with tentacles if they wanted, but people will still question the choice as it diverges so greatly from the source (especially when the studio has shown great care in portraying other Norse gods to be as accurate as their depictions are). Couple that with the context of choices made in modern day from many major game development companies and their publishers, its hard to say that this was simply happenstance and not a concerted design choice based on modern influences.

Accidental double post

Actually nevermind, its clear you don't want to discuss and just want to troll.

Toons

Banned
Tell me, if they made a game that featured prominent African or Mayan gods and they made a few of them white, you wouldn't question at all why that was?
No, I wouldn't. If they made them ALL white? Maybe. But a couple? Nah, who tf cares?

You are right in that they don't need a "reason" to make this particular god black. Hell they could make her a giant rock with tentacles if they wanted, but people will still question the choice as it diverges so greatly from the source (especially when the studio has shown great care in portraying other Norse gods to be as accurate as their depictions are). Couple that with the context of choices made in modern day from many major game development companies and their publishers, its hard to say that this was simply happenstance and not a concerted design choice based on modern influences.
Thats a lot speculation to explain a very simply choice to include a black character in a fantasy game. Like... is really not this complicated of layered of an issue. It isnt an issue at all.

Actually nevermind, its clear you don't want to discuss and just want to troll.

Calm thine tits its a joke bruh

Last edited:

Toons

Banned
It's not a "fantasy setting with gods and monsters," it's a Norse mythological setting with Norse gods and Norse monsters.

Distinction without a difference, especially when as we know already this franchise has never been faithful to any particular mythology, either visually or narratively. Its as much an adaptation of norse mythology as Bruce Almighty is an adaptation of the Bible.

Top Bottom