• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Was Almost a First-Person Game

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Original God of War game director David Jaffe revealed in a recent installment of his "Gabbin + Games" YouTube series that he had initially planned for the game to be a first-person adventure! Inevitably, the team settled on the third-person perspective that has been a staple of the series since 2005, but the game was almost a significantly different experience from the one fans got to enjoy on PlayStation 2.

"For a long time, for about four… ehh, three months, I was seriously considering going first-person. And the game I was looking at was a Dreamcast game (I think I'm pronouncing it right, it's called Maken X). It was not the world's best game but it was one of the few games where I saw melee combat done well in a first-person perspective, and I thought that would be a really cool way to differentiate ourselves... but I think ultimately, it just became difficult to get the kind of emotion and combat and sort of just character building that I was hoping to do. So, I can't fathom that idea surviving long enough to even pitch it to Tim Moss, the lead programmer. I think when it came to Tim, it was a third-person game," said Jaffe.

Great Hair

Banned
what would it have been a letdown from if it was first person from the get go?
first person (non vr) is boring, narrow FOV and in this case, kratos first person is somewhat an oxymoron. There is a reason nintendo ain´t making mario an fps ..

Rippa

Thanks to the universe that they saw the light and made it third-person.

If it isn’t a competitive shooter, First person can go to the toilet for all I care.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
first person (non vr) is boring, narrow FOV and in this case, kratos first person is somewhat an oxymoron. There is a reason nintendo ain´t making mario an fps ..

I never said I wanted first person and I agree with it being third person. But the words he used was “let down”, compared to what? If it was first person it probably wouldn’t have been a hit and you probably would have never even known about it. If it never appeared on your radar what is there to be let down by.

Last edited:

sainraja

Biohazard as well. Until Shinji Mikami played Alone in the Dark and said: yeah, let's copy this.
But the need for them to make it first person never died — seeing how the mainline series now are in that perspective. Which is just a shame.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hey, a first-person action melee game can be awesome too. Imagine something like Dark Messiah mixed with the over the top action of Bulletstorm... I would play that.

Top Bottom